Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

L.A Forum Blu Ray
Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 17:51

what happened to this? i only just realised that it never got released on blu ray was it due to the quality of the film? considering the hampton one is only an upscale i'm surprised there wasn't a l,a forum release too

Re: L.A Forum Blu Ray
Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:55

I've been wondering this too. I've seen the DVD for the L.A. Forum gig, but not the Blu Ray. It's not even listed on Blu-Ray.com...

Date: May 23, 2015 19:17

Probably because it would be a moot point. The film would not have been able to be cleaned up to fit Blu-Ray standards...After all, you can only clean footage up so much.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:33

philrock90
what happened to this? i only just realised that it never got released on blu ray was it due to the quality of the film? considering the hampton one is only an upscale i'm surprised there wasn't a l,a forum release too

I was pondering this very point two days ago, the whole released bypassed me somehow then I inadventely spotted some other formats of this release on a*azon, but was unable to track down a Blu-ray to my utter suprise and dismay.
Glad to know I'm not the only loser ruminating such First World problems.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:17

With a blu-ray release sound quality could have been enhanced though.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 24, 2015 14:44

kowalski
With a blu-ray release sound quality could have been enhanced though.

Right on! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: fullbandwith ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:11

From what I know,the cameras were "in-house" apparently , they were not broadcast spec or matched. Its obvious they were not great to begin with.
There are a lot of camera faults present throughout the show, that the restoration team could not correct totally, especially the tearing and redflare on the edges. Its a good job from what I see, but consider it was 525 line ntsc circa 1975.

All that aside, the dvd was well worth having, but a bluray copy , nah forget it.
Sound tho, is stunning, well done all round.

Date: May 26, 2015 23:40

I would NEVER take a DVD over a Blu-ray , even if the video quality were equal.

As mentioned above.the Blu-ray Disc would have the potential for better audio.

If not,even in the worst case scenario,the Blu-ray Disc would be the same as the DVD (definitely not worse) but ....
with the Blu-ray Disc having better scratch resistance / durability compared to the DVD.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:42

fullbandwith
From what I know,the cameras were "in-house" apparently , they were not broadcast spec or matched. Its obvious they were not great to begin with.
There are a lot of camera faults present throughout the show, that the restoration team could not correct totally, especially the tearing and redflare on the edges. Its a good job from what I see, but consider it was 525 line ntsc circa 1975.

All that aside, the dvd was well worth having, but a bluray copy , nah forget it.

The cameras that were used in the 1975 LA show they taped were from Don Kirschner's Rock Concert mobile unit. They were 'broadcast quality' for the time. The sound was recorded in a separate truck on 2" 16 or 24 track. Again, state of the art for the time. I don't think this recording would benefit from Blu-ray, at least not in the video department. You can only do so much with NTSC 525 line video. The sound? Perhaps. But this recording was not up to today's standards to begin with, so my thinking is DVD video and audio are about as good as it's going to get. Not unlike Pink Floyd's 'Pulse'. It's a DVD as well because they chose to shoot it on video rather than 35mm film, and again, there's only so much you can do with analog video from back in the day.

Both the LA Forum shows and Pulse are remarkable for what they are, regardless of whether the audio is Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1, or DTS. They rock. Enjoy and forget about how they were recorded.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2015 05:07

1969Fan
fullbandwith

The cameras that were used in the 1975 LA show they taped were from Don Kirschner's Rock Concert mobile unit. They were 'broadcast quality' for the time. The sound was recorded in a separate truck on 2" 16 or 24 track. Again, state of the art for the time. I don't think this recording would benefit from Blu-ray, at least not in the video department. You can only do so much with NTSC 525 line video. The sound? Perhaps. But this recording was not up to today's standards to begin with, so my thinking is DVD video and audio are about as good as it's going to get. Not unlike Pink Floyd's 'Pulse'. It's a DVD as well because they chose to shoot it on video rather than 35mm film, and again, there's only so much you can do with analog video from back in the day.

Both the LA Forum shows and Pulse are remarkable for what they are, regardless of whether the audio is Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1, or DTS. They rock. Enjoy and forget about how they were recorded.

Do you know the specs for Hampton? There doesn't seem that big a difference and that was released in Blu-Ray.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 28, 2015 06:12

Yes, I think the colors MAY be enhanced on a Blu Ray version of the LA show. The video is pretty rough. Let's spend the night together from the 81 tour needs to
Be offered on Bluray as I think the difference in overall audio and picture
quality would be significant.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:08

Actually there is a Blu Ray for LSTNT...in Japan, it's been discussed here before with some screenshots posted, stellar quality and it can be "found" too.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:17

1969Fan

The cameras that were used in the 1975 LA show they taped were from Don Kirschner's Rock Concert mobile unit. They were 'broadcast quality' for the time. The sound was recorded in a separate truck on 2" 16 or 24 track. Again, state of the art for the time.

yes but no. The 16mm format that was used for "Gimme Shelter" 6 years before proved to be in fact superior. Video tape is ugly and its preservation is a nightmare. LZ sued the same gear (2') for their London'75 shwos and thirty years later they :

- couldn't find a machine to play these tapes.
- the tapes themselves were in such a poor condition they had to be restored/baked before being played.

Conclusion : film rules!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 12:21 by dcba.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home