Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Brian Jones?
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 02:12

As a newcomer to IORR I have to say I'm surprised at the near-hero worship of Mick Taylor, who in my mind was a great live solo player but never quite gelled with the band after the 69-70 tour, and the nearly complete absence of discussion of Brian Jones.

Brian - like Mick, Keith, Bill, and Charlie - was a true innovator, helped created rock-n-roll as we know it, and constantly pushed the Stones to innovate, not just in guitar solos but in marimba, sitar, etc., always exploring new sounds.

Even on the 2013 tour, they played more songs that were recorded while Brian was in the band than any of the other guitarists.

Does anyone else think Brian is underrated on this board?

Re: Brian Jones?
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 21, 2015 02:54

Brian was a dick mostly.

However, I think Taylor added something (amazing guitar solos mostly) that were lacking before and after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 03:17 by jazzbass.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 21, 2015 09:18

From what I've read the stones would have not happened without Brian.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2015 09:33

a genius but also posterboy for the term "we are all our own worst enemies".

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 21, 2015 09:42

Turner68
As a newcomer to IORR I have to say I'm surprised at the near-hero worship of Mick Taylor, who in my mind was a great live solo player but never quite gelled with the band after the 69-70 tour, and the nearly complete absence of discussion of Brian Jones.

Brian - like Mick, Keith, Bill, and Charlie - was a true innovator, helped created rock-n-roll as we know it, and constantly pushed the Stones to innovate, not just in guitar solos but in marimba, sitar, etc., always exploring new sounds.

Even on the 2013 tour, they played more songs that were recorded while Brian was in the band than any of the other guitarists.

Yes! thumbs up But we must also remember that he actually was fired from the band and probably died due to complications from this sad news. This cannot be talked away.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 21, 2015 09:43

Turner68

Understanding, as you say, that you've been on iorr for 2 days, you may be seeing a particularly fervent spike around Mick Taylor---which emerged vis-a-vis the upcoming tour. Many questions and issues were teased to the fore by MT's not being part of the tour---or even simply the secret show, which many of us knew was inevitable, and about which people had been speculating would be the vehicle for the rumored Sticky Fingers showed. It was known in early April for sure that MT would not be part of the tour.

As said, this stirred up a lot of discussion. People who normally do not jump on the MT train were doing so re: his absence on the tour.

Is Brian overshadowed by Mick Taylor, or even Ronnie? I think partly this may be so because he died so goddamned long ago, he doesn't feel as much part of the Stones' living history. If he were still alive people might continue to talk about him more. Also, many people perceive the the Mick Taylor years (1969-1973, particularly) to be the point at which the Rolling Stones as a band, and as individuals, may have coalesced best and at had their highest peaks.

my 2c
swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 09:47 by swiss.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 21, 2015 09:53

>Even on the 2013 tour, they played more songs that were recorded while Brian was in the band than any of the other guitarists.

I checked some random setlists from that tour out of curiosity and found your assertion untrue -- less than half the setlist came from the Brian era.

Posted by: JamesMadison ()
Date: May 21, 2015 14:02

Brian who?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2015 14:06

Is Brian the one with the blond hair ?

ROCKMAN

Date: May 21, 2015 14:11

Turner68

I don't think he can be underrated, as he was the founder, the multi-instrumentalist and x-factor of their most creative period in the 1960s. No one questions that.

The thing is that this board is extremely obsessed with guitar solos. You saw it yesterday, when it was described as a good thing that we couldn't hear which song it was, because Taylor trailblazed through it.

Nothing wrong with trailblazing, and lots of the guitar god stuff is lovely separately. IMO, it also needs to be an integral part of the song in the Stones's music in particular.

Brian Jones was the man. The stuff he did never ceases to amaze me thumbs up

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 21, 2015 15:40

Turner68

I've seen plenty of Brian talk, and people who love the Jones era more than any other in the band. Maybe activity has been down lately, I don't know. I would say there's much more "hero worship" around Brian than any other Stone. Not specifically here, but in general, as he's one of those rock stars who died young. He's certainly not forgotten.

I don't understand what you're saying at all about Taylor not gelling with the band after '69-'70. Many people consider that lineup (or even the Stones as a live band) as having peaked in '72-'73. Particularly '73.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 21, 2015 15:46

Rockman
Is Brian the one with the blond hair ?

No Brian was the one with the blond wig.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 21, 2015 15:46

Less known Brian Fact #164

Brian invented the dive-bomb line (1:25) Bill just ran with it (1:34)

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 21, 2015 16:12

jazzbass
Brian was a dick mostly.

However, I think Taylor added something (amazing guitar solos mostly) that were lacking before and after.

Nothing against Brian, but I agree about the music.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 21, 2015 16:14

Also, of all the new Stones releases the last five years, only a few, depending on how you count, featured Brian Jones: England '65, Charlie is My Darling (film/soundtrack) and, to a lesser degree, the Crossfire Hurricane movie. These have been greatly overshadowed by Exile, Some Girls and SF Deluxe, Brussels Affair, LA '75, Hampton '81 etc. etc. And this has influenced discussion here on IORR.

If ABKCO someday decides or gets permission to release stuff from their archive, there could be tons of interesting things from Brian to hear. Who knows.

Date: May 21, 2015 17:05

Glam Descendant
>Even on the 2013 tour, they played more songs that were recorded while Brian was in the band than any of the other guitarists.

I checked some random setlists from that tour out of curiosity and found your assertion untrue -- less than half the setlist came from the Brian era.

I was going off Glastonbury; perhaps it was an exception.

Date: May 21, 2015 17:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-21 17:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 21, 2015 17:34

There's plenty of discussion boards/threads on Brian and his importance to the band. The ones who underrate him must be small number (even Mick Taylor fans I don't believe underrate Brian).

It just so happens Mick Taylor is more popular than you might imagine, especially given his appearances during the recent tour...and there's more than a few so-called 'Taylorites.'

I don't have a problem with it myself, as a lot of the discussion is fascinating.

Date: May 21, 2015 17:35

Thanks everyone for the explanations. Makes sense, we all have different tastes.

I think what Ronnie has shown is that the #1 qualification for the lead guitar spot is getting along with both mick and Keith, something mickt and Brian struggled with, at least after mick and Keith started writing the songs and pushed Brian to the side.

Date: May 21, 2015 17:45

Nikkei
Less known Brian Fact #164

Brian invented the dive-bomb line (1:25) Bill just ran with it (1:34)

that's great...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 21, 2015 17:54

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 21, 2015 17:56

^^ That was my first Stones show, and I was scared to death that it would end almost before it began!

Might be worth mentioning that Brian's biggest fan is no longer on this forum.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:09

Aquamarine
^^ That was my first Stones show, and I was scared to death that it would end almost before it began!

@Aquamarine

Amazing that you were there and Brian's biggest fan is no longer on this forum..who may that be?

Date: May 21, 2015 18:31

runaway
Aquamarine

@Aquamarine

Amazing that you were there and Brian's biggest fan is no longer on this forum..who may that be?

You sure he isn't? winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:35

Brian is in the foundation cement of the band. He was the visual one, the dandy, which fell to Mick after Brian's death. He was also the dark one, the one getting deeply into drugs, which fell to Keith after Brian's death. His musical knowledge of R&B and the blues gave them early credibility. Brian's musical abilities stretched them out across the pop singles landscape of the 1960s and allowed them to exit the cubbyhole of just another British Invasion band. His rebel attitude, his prowling sexuality, were all there before anyone ascribed them to Keith and Mick. Any real fan knows what Brian contributed, and know his downfall too. He is literally the fuse that lit the Rolling Stones.

Date: May 21, 2015 18:37

24FPS
Brian is in the foundation cement of the band. He was the visual one, the dandy, which fell to Mick after Brian's death. He was also the dark one, the one getting deeply into drugs, which fell to Keith after Brian's death. His musical knowledge of R&B and the blues gave them early credibility. Brian's musical abilities stretched them out across the pop singles landscape of the 1960s and allowed them to exit the cubbyhole of just another British Invasion band. His rebel attitude, his prowling sexuality, were all there before anyone ascribed them to Keith and Mick. Any real fan knows what Brian contributed, and know his downfall too. He is literally the fuse that lit the Rolling Stones.

very well said, much better than what i said. i agree completely.

Posted by: JamesMadison ()
Date: May 21, 2015 18:56

Turner68
As a newcomer to IORR I have to say I'm surprised at the nearly complete absence of discussion of Brian Jones.

You have got to be kidding.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:23

JamesMadison
Turner68
As a newcomer to IORR I have to say I'm surprised at the nearly complete absence of discussion of Brian Jones.

You have got to be kidding.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:23

DandelionPowderman
runaway
Aquamarine

@Aquamarine

You sure he isn't? winking smiley

No, actually! grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2015 19:44

Well, here he is:

... and here:

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home