Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NEVER STOP
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 4, 2011 07:30

Mick Jagger Interview
august 2, 1980, Melody Maker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-04 16:08 by Britney.

Re: NEVER STOP
Date: June 4, 2011 07:38

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 4, 2011 11:21

Britney

Is this pic from 79 or 80? Where / When / Thanks!!

Date: June 4, 2011 11:30

Vocalion
Is this pic from 79 or 80? Where / When / Thanks!!
It's from late 1979 during the recordingsessions for Emotional Rescue. The photographer is possibly Hervé Langrand.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 4, 2011 13:31

Stupid comments about the clash and the specials!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 4, 2011 15:27

Also the name of a great boot recorded in Sweden 1982

Date: June 4, 2011 15:49

rooster
Also the name of a great boot recorded in Sweden 1982

The title of the thread was inspired by Jagger's answer to the last question:

"How long do you want to be in rock ’n roll for? Hmmm! I don’t know. Maybe forever."

That particular bootleg by the way was the first Stonesboot I ever bought. Great show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-04 15:50 by Britney.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 4, 2011 15:53

Thanks for your will to share, Britney - but I must say that the scans are way too tiny for me to read - even when clicking the images.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-04 15:54 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 4, 2011 15:55

Keep on rolling! Mick on rollerskates at some Hollywood party late 1979 (the magazine I got this from didn't credit the photographer).

Date: June 4, 2011 16:05

Are there pics of this sweden show (gotenburg?) with Jaghooroo or bv?

Date: June 4, 2011 16:10

Erik_Snow
Thanks for your will to share, Britney - but I must say that the scans are way too tiny for me to read - even when clicking the images.

Good point Erik. I just reposted the scans in a larger, hopefully more readable size. Enjoy!

Date: June 4, 2011 16:15

rooster
Are there pics of this sweden show (gotenburg?) with Jaghooroo or bv?

Keith backstage Gothenburg 1982 - Dennis O'Regan

There's more pics of the 1982 Gothenburgshows here: [www.stonesvikings.com]

Date: June 4, 2011 16:19

thank you so much

Date: June 4, 2011 16:54

rooster
thank you so much

You're welcome!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 4, 2011 17:04

Great interview - back in the days when Mick was less guarded than he is now.

The interviewer doesnt exactly rate Woody too highly - can you imagine now someone telling Jagger that the guitarists were technically weak, there were too few solos on his album and the ones they included were 'dreadful'!

Interesting to read that Jagger says they finished 25 songs for Emotional Rescue. Granted, some of those were probably used on Tattoo You, but thats quite a few leftovers

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 4, 2011 17:21

Thanks, great interview. The guy doing the interview is kind of an ass at times.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 4, 2011 17:25

stones78
Thanks, great interview. The guy doing the interview is kind of an ass at times.

Indeed, he starts off great but then becomes rather insulting.
I'm surprised that Jagger didn't become more defensive.

Date: June 4, 2011 17:34

Gazza

Interesting to read that Jagger says they finished 25 songs for Emotional Rescue. Granted, some of those were probably used on Tattoo You, but thats quite a few leftovers

Some finished product has seen the light of day: Think I'm Going Mad, Let's Go Steady, Dance pt. 2, Claudine, We Had It All. Lonely At The Top was reworked for Mick's solo-album She's The Boss. Other outtakes that have surfaced don't sound very promising. Who knows what's hiding in the vaults. But something tells me that if there really was any brilliant finished product from those sessions they probably would have used it for later releases.

Date: June 4, 2011 17:41

vudicus
stones78

Indeed, he starts off great but then becomes rather insulting.
I'm surprised that Jagger didn't become more defensive.

Provocative is the word, sometimes pushing it to the limit. But Bonici's opinion on guitarplayers doesn't cut it. The Stones power lies within their technical 'limitations'.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: June 4, 2011 17:43

Thanks for posting, Mick is so candid here compared to nowadays it seems. It was interesting that he admits here in the very early days he was responsible for the lyrics mostly and Keith the music. Didn't Keith mention this in his book? To me, it's astonishing that Keith wrote so many incredible songs, especially in the sixties, early seventies.....I mean one hit after another, just about ALL with beautiful melodies intertwined with the music..... I mean can any other songwriter top "Paint it Black" and "Gimme Shelter" and "The Last Time", "Street Fighting Man" etc......really astonishing....(even though I am mad at Keith for discounting Brian so much in his biography!)

Date: June 4, 2011 17:58

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 4, 2011 22:35

Erik_Snow

Just drag the images to your desktop and them blow them up in an image viewer.

Date: June 9, 2011 16:59

Mr. Rock and Roll longevity:

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 9, 2011 17:46

Britney

Isn't that the same look Chuck gave Keith when he was giving a hard time rehearsing "Carol".

Chuck's a cantankerous git.

Keith: "If you just play the rhytmn and I'll put the fills in between those vocal lines.."
Chuck: "Say that again..."
Keith: "If you sing and you just play the rhytmn then I don't have keep popping and trying to cover both ends.. I need the rhytmn guitar, you because it would be hard too sing and play the lead fills as well right..."
Chuck "well it wasn't"

He gave Keith a real hard time when all Keith was trying to do was figure out how they both could play together.

Chuck doesn't like other guitarists on his patch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-09 17:46 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 9, 2011 22:08

Great post. According to Aeppli book Wood did Down in hole and sure Wood credits in ER album compositions is confirmed by Mick.
Keith the third to like reggae ? Since he made much more in reggae than Mj and Cw

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 9, 2011 22:09

Britney

What is that show ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:12

"Do you have any excuse for the rather long delay?" For TWO YEARS Bonici's talking about!!!!

What would he have said in 1994 or 2005!!??

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:21

An interesting interview. Thanks for posting!

But the interviewer's attitude about the ineptitude (as he saw it) of the Stones reminds me of what John Cleese said was Basil Fawlty's attitude about running a hotel, "This hotel would run perfectly if it weren't for the damned guests." (Regarding Cleese's show FAWLTY TOWERS.)

The interviewer seemed to think the Rolling Stones would be a great band if only the members got kicked out!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-10 00:25 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 10, 2011 00:49

"Well obviously he didn't write enough on them for me to give him a credit. People always moan when they leave a band". Mick on Mick Taylor complaining about not getting credit is just the same as ever. So even then it was still being talked about and Mick has always had the same response!

And then Mick's bit about how Bill doesn't offer songs. That's not quite true is it. Mick wouldn't let him contribute.

Did Wayne Perkins only play on one track? Isn't he on Slave or Worried About You as well?

Bobby Keyes goes back to '72? How does that explain his playing on Live With Me? Poor Mick, getting his own history wrong.

That bit about Roger Daltrey and Keith's singing is hilarious.

Mick said he would do a solo album because he has "a lot of stupid songs which the others will never like so I'll put those out". He was correct about that.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 10, 2011 03:00

I know the song is an "emotional" issue for some, but I personally would LOOOOOVE to hear Mick's dub version of Emotional Rescue that he mentions in the interview.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home