Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slightly OT: Mad Men and the Stones
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 13, 2014 06:54

So Mad Men starts its final season on April 13 (in the US at least) and takes place in 1969. For culture, 1969 is an interesting year (Woodstock, Vietnam riots, Man on the Moon, etc). But for the Stones, as stated elsewhere and numerous times, 1969 was a triumphant year. So what, if any, Stones references or songs would you like to see in this season?
As a note: Mad Men has made reference to the Stones a few times before. Satisfaction was used (rather ironically given the show is about advertising) in season 4. In season 5 the characters go backstage at the Stones show at Forest Hills in 1966, and reference is made to the Rice Krispies Jingle. Further, only one other artist has had multiple songs on Mad Men: Bob Dylan whose "Song For Woody" and "Don't Think Twice" have been used.

Re: Slightly OT: Mad Men and the Stones
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 13, 2014 06:58

I've never actually watched Mad Men yet! Maybe they'll mention Brian passing.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 13, 2014 08:22

What with Brian passing and Altamont, it wasn't a wholly triumphant year.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2014 12:00

1969? Was it a big year for the Stones? One album in the last three weeks of the year and one hit single in the middle of the summer?

Here's what else was going on that year, in terms of young musical culture....

Top Musical Artists of 1969:

Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Temptations, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Beatles, The 5th Dimension, Glen Campbell, James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Tommy James & The Shondells, Elvis Presley, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Aretha Franklin, Three Dog Night, Jerry Butler, The Grass Roots, Johnny Cash, Brooklyn Bridge, Oliver, Marvin Gaye, The Dells

More at: [www.the60sofficialsite.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:22

I'm looking forward to tonight's return of Mad Men. I could see them including Altamont...Don Draper wandering around, viewing first hand "the end of the sixties." The event would tie in well with the last season of the show.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 13, 2014 20:22

1969 was a great year creatively for the Stones, but on a personal/human level, it was pretty rough. There was Brian's troubles and death, Marianne's coma, economical troubles with Allen Klein, the Altamont disaster (again, a pretty decent event on purely musical terms), the Hyde Park concert was shaky, Keith dabbled with heroin ...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 14, 2014 04:33

View from the trenches was that the Hyde Park show was terrific--now, with the ability to dwell on every second via Youtube, the shaky elements become clear, but major fun was being had at the time. Highlight of the year for many of us. (Dunno about how the Altamont attendees felt.) I would agree that '69 was a great year, though, in that it really relaunched the band.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 14, 2014 09:17

latebloomer
I'm looking forward to tonight's return of Mad Men. I could see them including Altamont...Don Draper wandering around, viewing first hand "the end of the sixties." The event would tie in well with the last season of the show.

Yes, Don has hired Melvin Belli as his divorce lawyer, and Melvin tells him that Altamont will be a great opportunity to see the youth culture up close. Once there, Don meets Forrest Gump who's passing around boxes of chocolates spiked with acid. Then Don and Forrest accidentally knock over Sonny Barger's motorbike, and are beaten to death by one of the Angels. You see the Angel's face, and it's the real Don Draper, who didn't die in Korea after all. And the show ends with Mick Jagger watching the whole thing on the projector.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 14, 2014 12:39

DeanGoodman
latebloomer

Yes, Don has hired Melvin Belli as his divorce lawyer, and Melvin tells him that Altamont will be a great opportunity to see the youth culture up close. Once there, Don meets Forrest Gump who's passing around boxes of chocolates spiked with acid. Then Don and Forrest accidentally knock over Sonny Barger's motorbike, and are beaten to death by one of the Angels. You see the Angel's face, and it's the real Don Draper, who didn't die in Korea after all. And the show ends with Mick Jagger watching the whole thing on the projector.

...spoiler alert!! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 14, 2014 13:21

RoughJusticeOnYa
DeanGoodman
latebloomer

...spoiler alert!! >grinning smiley<

But before all that, Don has gone to Altamont in search of his daughter Sally, who is now a groupie for The Rolling Stones. Later, Sally ends up traveling with the band on their plane during their infamous Tour of the Americas. Keith is now with Betty Draper, a strong-willed woman who convinces him to start dressing in three-piece suits.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 14, 2014 14:03

These new plot twists would actually make the show far more interesting. The prior season made me lose interest and last night's season opener doesn't give me much hope (I watched out of curiosity following Turn).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 14:11 by nightskyman.

Date: April 14, 2014 18:31

LieB
1969 was a great year creatively for the Stones, but on a personal/human level, it was pretty rough. There was Brian's troubles and death, Marianne's coma, economical troubles with Allen Klein, the Altamont disaster (again, a pretty decent event on purely musical terms), the Hyde Park concert was shaky, Keith dabbled with heroin ...

I think to the public at the time, at least from what I've read, it was a triumphant year. Starting with Beggars Banquet on the Stones returned. My basic question was, what songs would be appropriate for Mad Men. I could see them using Sympathy in a nice ironic setting (although that might be a bit cliche'd). But certainly a reference to the Stones return to the States in 1969 should be made, especially since from again what I've read, the New York gigs were highly publicized.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 14, 2014 21:38

I thought the Stones episode was interesting. When the young girl says to don "You're just jealous because they're having all of the fun that you can't have anymore" and he says "No, we're just worried about you".

Date: April 5, 2015 16:29

With the lead up to the final season of Mad Men, the Times has an article entitled, ‘Mad Men’ and Its Love Affair With ’60s Pop Culture. The whole read is interesting, especially for anyone who lived through that era. The writer goes through each of the seasons of the show, pointing out references like, The Twillight Zone, Frank O'Hara's poetry, Mark Rothko, Bye Bye Birdie, The Group, and, of course, The Rolling Stones. After each reference there is a link to an article that the Times published at that time.

Read the whole thing, if you have the time, it's fun. Here is the Stones section:

The Rolling Stones

England’s newest hit-makers really did perform at what was then the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium (now the West Side Tennis Club) in Queens on July 2, 1966, as part of an American tour to support the release of their album “Aftermath.” But Don and Harry didn’t get much satisfaction on their backstage trip to this concert, on a fool’s errand to see if Allen Klein, the notorious Stones manager, could be persuaded to let the band cut a jingle for Heinz baked beans. (“Heinz Is On My Side,” anyone?) Neither Klein nor any of the band members materialize, and a pair of young Stones fans reminds Don and Harry that time is not on their side. “None of you want any of us to have a good time, just ‘cause you never did,” one of them tells Don. “No,” Don replies, “we’re worried about you.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 5, 2015 17:31

I would think Gimme Shelter could be an intro song tonight. Here's to a wonderful series....smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-05 17:31 by Maindefender.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:02

Vague Stones reference in the latest episode of Mad Men:
Episode 19, The Forecast (aired 4-19-2015)

11:29 into the episode, Don Draper suggests to his real estate agent that she should be creative and invent a story about a seller who "made a million dollars"... "and they had to move, in a hurry, to a castle in France. Taxes."

The timeline may not check out 100% because I think this Mad Men episode is set in 1970, while the Stone's move to France took place in 1971. Despite the time conflict, I think the Mad Men writers were clearly referring to The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 03:05 by cmc.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:14

I love thinking about the Stones last few weeks of 1969. Finishing up an amazing tour. Rolling into the deep south and cutting three amazing tracks at Muscle Shoals and then debuting Brown Sugar at Altamonte. Never mind that other crap that happened there. Was an amazing time to be a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:44

Love Mad Men. Hot babes!

Love Stones.

Date: April 22, 2015 18:37

latebloomer
With the lead up to the final season of Mad Men, the Times has an article entitled, ‘Mad Men’ and Its Love Affair With ’60s Pop Culture. The whole read is interesting, especially for anyone who lived through that era. The writer goes through each of the seasons of the show, pointing out references like, The Twillight Zone, Frank O'Hara's poetry, Mark Rothko, Bye Bye Birdie, The Group, and, of course, The Rolling Stones. After each reference there is a link to an article that the Times published at that time.

Read the whole thing, if you have the time, it's fun. Here is the Stones section:

The Rolling Stones

England’s newest hit-makers really did perform at what was then the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium (now the West Side Tennis Club) in Queens on July 2, 1966, as part of an American tour to support the release of their album “Aftermath.” But Don and Harry didn’t get much satisfaction on their backstage trip to this concert, on a fool’s errand to see if Allen Klein, the notorious Stones manager, could be persuaded to let the band cut a jingle for Heinz baked beans. (“Heinz Is On My Side,” anyone?) Neither Klein nor any of the band members materialize, and a pair of young Stones fans reminds Don and Harry that time is not on their side. “None of you want any of us to have a good time, just ‘cause you never did,” one of them tells Don. “No,” Don replies, “we’re worried about you.”

[www.nytimes.com]

That was really cool article, thanks for posting!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 23, 2015 11:28

It would have been nice to have wrapped up the show last year when they had momentum. I have been watching the episodes this year and they are good, but knowing there are only 3-4 left and losing all the momentum from last year, it seems like the show is petering out on a wimper, not a bigger bang.

On an OT note-
I have been enjoying David Letterman as he seems to be ramping it up, bringing in his long term favorite guests, showing highlights from the show and more. He seems to want to go out with a bang. I think his last show is May20th and after that late night talk shows are dead to me.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2015 03:48

I predict Don and Betty will get back together.

Date: April 27, 2015 08:19

Money burns a hole in my pocket. How I wish I had millions
of dollars and nothing to do but just buy Stones tickets for you

Money burns a hole in my pocket
How I wish I had millions of dollars and nothing to do
But just buy pretty presents for you

How I wish I had oil wells in Texas to keep me supplied
With money while I sit by your side

Every day of the week
We would visit the store
All the beautiful things you see
Would soon be yours
'Cause money burns a hole in my pocket
So I'm bringing your perfume and candy and roses of red
And wishing they were diamonds instead

Every day of the week
We kinda visit the store
All the beautiful things you see
Would soon be yours
So I'm bringing your perfume and candy and roses of red
And wishing they were diamonds instead

Date: May 4, 2015 05:57

HOLY MOLY!!!
This show is amazing...
I can not believe it is going out this strong...
I will not post spoilers... but WOW!!!

The subtle tension/drama is crazy!!!

And how about that picture Roger gave Peggy... lmao!!!

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 4, 2015 11:04

i kept waiting for them to incorporate Altamont into the show, but they didn't. I kind of feel like the Stones have to be referred to at least one more time before the finale, as kind of a book end to the first season. Maybe it will be the 72 tour...!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home