Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Longest Time Between First and Second Stones Concerts
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2015 01:43

I was just chatting with a cousin of mine on Facebook and she happened to mention that she's going to a Stones concert this summer.

The last time she saw them was in 1964.

51 years.

Can anyone top that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 02:42 by tatters.

Re: Longest Time Between First and Second Stones Concerts
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2015 01:56

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 02:02 by Rockman.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 22, 2015 02:56

Wouldn't want to top it. smiling smiley

Date: April 22, 2015 03:00

Just received a correction on this.

She didn't see them in 1964.

She saw them in 1966, at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in New York.

So .... only 49 years. Still very impressive.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 22, 2015 09:46

Oh, that makes sence. 1964 sounded unlikely winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 22, 2015 10:33

I know a guy who has never seen the Stones live.

Top that!

Mathijs

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: April 22, 2015 10:56

I dont normally get into this kind of post but I find it fun. My first concert was Perth 13th Feb 1965 and my second concert was Perth 29 Oct 2014. Thats 49 years 9 months including leap years lol. I had the chance to see shows in between but chose not to, my bad luck.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 22, 2015 10:58

Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

I know two guys that have never seen the Stones live.

Nate

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 22, 2015 11:06

Nate
Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

Nate
I've heard of a guy that doesn't even like the Stones! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 22, 2015 11:09

Thommie
Nate
Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

Nate
And yet that guy still posts here on IORR all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 11:54 by Leonioid.

Date: April 22, 2015 12:25

whiskey
I dont normally get into this kind of post but I find it fun. My first concert was Perth 13th Feb 1965 and my second concert was Perth 29 Oct 2014. Thats 49 years 9 months including leap years lol. I had the chance to see shows in between but chose not to, my bad luck.

Outstanding!

It took me a mere 19 years to get around to going to my second show. First show, June 17, 1978; second show, December 2, 1997. In the case of the band Cactus, however, I had a gap of 37 years between my first show, at age 11 in 1970, and my second show, at age 48 in 2007. For the band Journey, it's 36 years (1978 and 2014), and if I ever see Styx (opened for Aerosmith in '77) or Foreigner (opened for Stones in '78) again, it will be a personal best.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 12:28 by tatters.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2015 17:16

My record is 7 years. From 2007 to 2014.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 22, 2015 17:24

whiskey
Just out of curiosity, and this is for the OP to ask his person too, what kept you away for so long? Was it just a series of 50 years of bad luck or were you not interested in seeing them? And what made you go back after all those years?

I'm always shocked at people that don't see bands for decades at a time. At least specifically people that see them before they peak, are clearly fans, and miss their golden era. Like if you saw them in 65 or 66, why would you miss Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile tours?!! Always been curious.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 22, 2015 17:40

For me it's 23 years: 1976 to 1999...married life work and child got between us :-(

Date: April 22, 2015 17:42

RollingFreak, I understand that my action seems a little strange. I could have seen them again in 66 in the same theatre as in 65 and a few shows(not many, I am in Australia)in between up until 2014. However I was so blown away with their first show, I thought I wanted to keep that memory intact, I will never forget it. I am now in my 70s so I wanted to see them one last time, glad I did.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:09

Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

I know a girl (well, she was then) who saw them in Cardiff in 1965 but hasn't seen them since..................also, the same girl was living near Hyde park in '69, could hear all this 'racket' going on from her flat (apartment) but couldn't be bothered to check it out..........and what's more, when she did find out...she didn't regret a thing.........grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 19:10 by EddieByword.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:52

whiskey
RollingFreak, I understand that my action seems a little strange. I could have seen them again in 66 in the same theatre as in 65 and a few shows(not many, I am in Australia)in between up until 2014. However I was so blown away with their first show, I thought I wanted to keep that memory intact, I will never forget it. I am now in my 70s so I wanted to see them one last time, glad I did.

That totally makes sense, and there are definitely people I say once and then say I won't taint the memory. There are only a few people I see every time, or at least most times they come around, like Bruce Springsteen or someone like that. So I totally get just seeing someone once and not every tour, but very fascinating to see someone who saw them so early, almost before they even evolved, and then miss when they were the biggest band in the world. I guess your location also plays a factor lol. But very cool to hear you went back and thanks for answering the question. Must have been a blast and you stand as one of the TRUE 50th Anniversary tour attendees!

Date: April 23, 2015 03:32

That is a nice reply RollingFreak and thanks for that. I never stopped collecting and to this day I have every official release, including all mono's. Love the band dearly. A lot of people talk about the big four etc as the peak years, for me the peak years are from 64 to 67, but I would think it all depends on when they made the biggest impact on the person.They changed my life when that new sound hit me, especially Bill's bass. I could tell more but I can talk forever lol.

Date: April 23, 2015 13:19

RollingFreak
whiskey
Just out of curiosity, and this is for the OP to ask his person too, what kept you away for so long? Was it just a series of 50 years of bad luck or were you not interested in seeing them? And what made you go back after all those years?

I'm always shocked at people that don't see bands for decades at a time. At least specifically people that see them before they peak, are clearly fans, and miss their golden era. Like if you saw them in 65 or 66, why would you miss Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile tours?!! Always been curious.

That's a good question. I'll have to ask my cousin that next time I see her. Maybe she's that rarest of all Stones fans, the "No Jones, No Stones" variety. LOL. More likely it was just a case of "Been There, Done That." Also, I think she was always more of a Beatles fan.

It took me 19 years to get to my second Stones concert, 17 years to get to my second Who concert, and 14 years to get to my second CSN concert despite being somewhat obsessed with all of those bands. I don't know .... I guess I just had a lot of other people I needed to see before I started seeing people I had already seen.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 23, 2015 14:32

Digressing slightly: anyone got a concert they wanted to go to but didn't and regretted it mightily? Mine is Bowie. Was going to go to Leicester De Montford Hall to see him...this would have been 73 and the height of Ziggy Stardust. I'm 14 years old and it's a 12 mile train ride and no-one wanted to come with me. It's a school night and none of my friends are up for it so...I didn't go. Finally saw Bowie in 2003.

30 years between almost seeing him and actually seeing him

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2015 14:59

exhpart
Digressing slightly: anyone got a concert they wanted to go to but didn't and regretted it mightily? Mine is Bowie. Was going to go to Leicester De Montford Hall to see him...this would have been 73 and the height of Ziggy Stardust. I'm 14 years old and it's a 12 mile train ride and no-one wanted to come with me. It's a school night and none of my friends are up for it so...I didn't go. Finally saw Bowie in 2003.

Paradiso 1995. I decided not to go to the venue as it was sold out. Learned the next day that they where inviting passers-by as it wasn't full enough for filming purposes.

Mathijs

Date: April 23, 2015 15:06

Ouch, Mathijs! That's a shame...

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: April 23, 2015 15:30

exhpart

I absolutely wanted to see the Stones on the Urban Jungle / Steel Wheels tour in 1990. Was ready to go see them in Cologne but my parents wouldn't let me. I was 13 at the time and it would have been an hour-long train ride (that I had done a couple times by then).

Date: April 23, 2015 15:32

exhpart
Digressing slightly: anyone got a concert they wanted to go to but didn't and regretted it mightily?

No, but there is one concert I regret leaving early. In 1994 I saw Manu "Soul Makossa" Dibango at a little club in New York called S.O.B. (Sounds of Brazil). It was great, but I had work the next day and left after the first set. Found out the next day that Peter Gabriel showed up at the late show and sang "Biko." I had been standing right in front of the stage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2015 16:05

Leonioid
Thommie
Nate
Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

Nate

Yes, but StonesTod isn't able to post here anymore unfortunately.

Date: April 23, 2015 16:21

treaclefingers
Leonioid
Thommie
Nate
Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

Nate

Maybe StonesTodd is?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2015 19:30

exhpart

My parents wouldn't let me go with my hippie cousins to see George Harrison in 1974.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2015 18:45

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Leonioid
Thommie
Nate
Mathijs

Top that!

Mathijs

Nate

Maybe StonesTodd is?

StonesToddd anyone?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home