Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Stones sights in London?
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 19, 2015 14:57

I'm going to London for a few days in May. What are the best Stones-related places to visit these days?

Re: Best Stones sights in London?
Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 19, 2015 15:13

Danmark Street (Regent sound) + soho (Marquee, trident studios etc). Chayne Walk (Keith , Mick, Ronnie, houses + Battersea Power Station from Pink Floyd animals cover), Sticky Fingers restaurant (near Jimmy Page house). What else ? Go to Edith Grove and Kings Road, all in Chelsea (Chelsea drugstore from YCAGWYW is no McDonald).
I went to see some Beatles places to: Abbey Road, John's flat near Apple building and some more.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 19, 2015 15:15

3 & 48 Cheyne Walk..Keith & Mick homes in the late 60's , early 70's.
102 Edith Grove ..their home in early 60's
Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers restaurant.

I'm sure a local can help you a bit more

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 19, 2015 15:48

The old Station Hotel opposite Richmond Station, although nothing like it used to be.
Out of Richmond Park,and head towards Richmond town up on Richmond Hill way and you go past Mick and Jerrys place and also Pete Townshends place,The Wick.

Ronnie Wood also used to live there with Jo.

Also several places in Richmond and Twickenham,like Eel Pie Island and Richmond Athletic Ground.

Have a look at my Crawdaddy Club thread and several places are mentioned, including site of an old church hall they played in .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2015 16:02

Catch the train out to Richmond - opposite the station is the former Station Hotel/Crawdaddy, where the Beatles came to check out their London rivals and the first contract with ALO was signed in one of the nearby cafes. Walk up Richmond Hill past Mick's former house to The Wick, where Ronnie used to live. IORR was written there and Keith stayed in the cottage at the bottom of the garden. If you have time, take the ferry across the river and walk along the towpath to Twickenham. Take a look at the narrow footbridge to Eel Pie Island and imagine the young band carrying all their gear over it to get to their gigs at the old hotel (no longer there now). Plenty of nice pubs and pleasant views of the river, too.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2015 16:03

Great minds think alike, crawdaddy!

Date: April 19, 2015 16:24

thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 19, 2015 22:05

Not exactly the most exciting of sites, but:
OFFICES
46a Maddox Street, Mayfair 60s and 70s
2 Munro Terrace, Chelsea
5 Church Row, Wandsworth London office till around 2012
Unit 1, 92 Lots Road SW10, trading office of Munro Sounds (RS)
19 Portland Place, W1B..RS Manager Shelly Daley reg office
344 Kings Road Chelsea...Bill's Ripple offices

Both Bill and Charlie have London residences in the Cheyne Walk area, but I beieve its a bit frowned on by some to give out CURRENT residence details (fair enough).
Bill did have a place up Mulberry Walk, Chelsea in the 80s after his return from France.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 19, 2015 22:10

Here's a tour from the past
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 20, 2015 08:27

Lindsey House on Cheyne Walk, Mick's newest digs.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 20, 2015 09:01

As said above, Richmond is really worth the trip. The view from Ricmond hill,
Near The Wick, is spectacular. No need for a ferry as there is a bridge across the Thames and a short walk to Twickenham. You can clearly see Twickenham stadium from Richmond hill.

Below the Wick is a older Hotel where Mick and Family celebrated his Knighting.
There are a few pictures marking the occasion on the wall.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 20, 2015 10:35

Another small overview to Stones-related places: [www.iorr.org] .

Dartford Station [www.iorr.org] :

[Twitter.com]

Dartford Satisfaction Tour: [www.SatisfactionTour.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 10:50 by Irix.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 20, 2015 11:31

I think there was talk of knocking down a lot of Denmark Street so I'd definitely make that a priority as there may never be another opportunity.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 20, 2015 11:40

Denmark Street for sure, not least because Regent Sounds is a great shop. Now as then Edith Grove itself is a bit of a dump but in general that part of Chelsea is really nice to walk around. The old Marquee club is no longer there, alas. Personally I would avoid heading out to Dartford - beyond the plaque there's nothing else to see and it's not a particularly great journey.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 20, 2015 18:11

Stoneburst
Denmark Street for sure, not least because Regent Sounds is a great shop. Now as then Edith Grove itself is a bit of a dump but in general that part of Chelsea is really nice to walk around. The old Marquee club is no longer there, alas. Personally I would avoid heading out to Dartford - beyond the plaque there's nothing else to see and it's not a particularly great journey.

Wasn't there a story (maybe a thread on here) that the new owners pf Mick's childhood house were quite proud of the fact and quite welcoming?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 19:06 by exhpart.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 20, 2015 18:18

There's been at least two books devoted to Beatles sites in England and also London.

Since the Stones first conquest was London, it seems a book is due for 'The Rolling Stones' London.'

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: April 20, 2015 19:55

So you guys recommend not to go to dartford? I will stay in London in July. What's the current state of Olympic studios?

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:28

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:35

dandelion1967

What's the current state of Olympic studios?

It was rebuilt into a Cinema: [www.iorr.org].

More about Olympic Studios: [en.wikipedia.org] .

[www.olympiccinema.co.uk]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:39

thanks for this. i'm going to london soon.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:25

exhpart
Stoneburst

Wasn't there a story (maybe a thread on here) that the new owners pf Mick's childhood house were quite proud of the fact and quite welcoming?

From 2 years ago: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:48

2000 LYFH
From 2 years ago: [www.iorr.org]

That sure was an interesting story about Mick's childhood home in Dartford.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:56

Dartford obvsiously carries some serious historical significance in relation to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but in reality, is a rather bog-standard town, situated on the boarder of Kent and south east London. It certainly isn't exciting and not, in my opinion, worth the forty-or-so minute train-ride from Central London.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 21, 2015 01:23

If you are visiting Denmark Street or anywhere else in the Oxford Street/Regent Street areas of the West End, you can pop into the bar in the Courthouse Hotel, Marlborough Street, which used to be the court building where Mick and Keith both appeared. Some of the former cells have been made into semi-private seating areas in the bar.

[en.wikipedia.org]

And almost immediately opposite there is Carnaby Street. Also the former site of the Marquee Club (now occupied by a restaurant, Floridita) is in nearby Wardour Street.

Date: April 21, 2015 16:28

Another nice place to see is St Andrews Church on Ham Common.

Not far from Ham Gate of Richmond Park.
I used to go there from school at times ,which was just down the road.
We had our Art class there sometimes in the summer.
My sister got married there way back in 1975.

At least two of Micks kids have been christened here, and also where the funeral of Eva Jagger was held when Mick and Chris Jagger sang 'Will the Circle be Unbroken'.
I had heard that Mick and Jerry did go to the church services at times when the kids were young.

St Andrews Church.

Posted by: Otis212 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 18:20

jlowe

Both Bill and Charlie have London residences in the Cheyne Walk area, but I beieve its a bit frowned on by some to give out CURRENT residence details (fair enough).
Bill did have a place up Mulberry Walk, Chelsea in the 80s after his return from France.

I'm not sure about Bill and Charlie, but my in-laws live next door to Mick on Cheyne Walk. Never seen him there while I've been there, but then again Mick has so many homes, who knows how often he actually resides there. And as the above poster states, no reason to give out current personal addresses, especially on the internet. But take a stroll along Cheyne Walk and you never know who you might see!!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 21, 2015 19:26

Irix

[Twitter.com]

Dartford Satisfaction Tour: [www.satisfactiontour.co.uk]

Did they meet on platform? I've always thought they met on a train.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:14

franzk
Irix

[Twitter.com]

Dartford Satisfaction Tour: [www.satisfactiontour.co.uk]

Did they meet on platform? I've always thought they met on a train.

They met on one of the London-bound platforms, if accounts are to believed. Jagger was on his way to one of the London terminals and the London School of Economics, whilst Keith was heading a few stops up the track: Sidcup Art College.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 24, 2015 10:58

Just catching up here, but--surely they met years earlier? confused smiley There are pics of them as small boys when they were at the same primary school. I know they met AGAIN later, after not seeing each other for some years, but that plaque is a bit misleading.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 24, 2015 19:57

Aquamarine
Just catching up here, but--surely they met years earlier? confused smiley There are pics of them as small boys when they were at the same primary school. I know they met AGAIN later, after not seeing each other for some years, but that plaque is a bit misleading.

Mick was selling ice cream by the Dartford library and Keith came by to buy one (must have been maybe 8 or 9). Was there an earlier meeting?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home