Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT- The current Guns N Roses
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 25, 2015 20:58

I have just been saying on another thread how much i've fallen for the current Guns line up. I loved this band back in the day, the closest any band ever got for onstage excitement to the Stones in my opinion. But as the years passed and members were sacked by Axl or just left, and the excruciating wait for the Chinese Democracy album meant my enthusiasm was all but gone. but over the christmas holidays, out of curiosity i checked out the current incarnation of the band on youtube where there are loads of full shows and i was pleasantly enthralled by what they do. Maybe it was just hearing the old classics again but my heart was pumping by the end, what a show these guys put on. The guitar players are simply superb, especially one DJ Ashba whom i'm ashamed to say i'd never heard of until now. With Axl i was expecting a car crash type performance but low and behold in my opinion the man is on fire right now, i was astonished to say the least in the energy of his performance and still soaring vocals. None of this excuses the terrible treatment of the original band members and i would very much like to see Axl and Slash bury the hatchet and get back together but in the meantime i love the current Guns N Roses and hope a new album comes soon. PS; Chinese Democracy i now love when at first i was indifferent, give it another chance it's a grower.

Re: OT- The current Guns N Roses
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 25, 2015 21:03

geordiestone
I have just been saying on another thread how much i've fallen for the current Guns line up. I loved this band back in the day, the closest any band ever got for onstage excitement to the Stones in my opinion. But as the years passed and members were sacked by Axl or just left, and the excruciating wait for the Chinese Democracy album meant my enthusiasm was all but gone. but over the christmas holidays, out of curiosity i checked out the current incarnation of the band on youtube where there are loads of full shows and i was pleasantly enthralled by what they do. Maybe it was just hearing the old classics again but my heart was pumping by the end, what a show these guys put on. The guitar players are simply superb, especially one DJ Ashba whom i'm ashamed to say i'd never heard of until now. With Axl i was expecting a car crash type performance but low and behold in my opinion the man is on fire right now, i was astonished to say the least in the energy of his performance and still soaring vocals. None of this excuses the terrible treatment of the original band members and i would very much like to see Axl and Slash bury the hatchet and get back together but in the meantime i love the current Guns N Roses and hope a new album comes soon. PS; Chinese Democracy i now love when at first i was indifferent, give it another chance it's a grower.

Chinese Democracy is a crappy album full of usless songs...as Spaghetti Incident. thumbs down

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 25, 2015 21:14

Current version is firing blanks.

Date: January 25, 2015 21:53

Chinese democracy is as good as the illusion releases

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 25, 2015 21:53

Checked out a couple of vids....this band is a parody of bad 80's rock, imo. Axl is the only original member and he is as pretentious and obnoxious as ever. Couldn't stand his singing in the original line up and it sure hasn't improved any. Axl just seems so full of himself and he is so out of shape he runs out of breath after every phrase he sings. He screaming vocal style is a bad approximation of singing and I wonder what it is that people like about it. confused smiley

Yeah GnR rocked a few songs in their prime mostly due to Slash's contributions and it looks like Axl is milking the past glory as much as he can. This band is about money cause it sure ain't about good new music. imo. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-25 21:54 by Naturalust.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 25, 2015 22:19

Well it's all about opinions and i understand the negative comments but just from my point of view they are really rolling my rock at present.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 26, 2015 03:30

Naturalust
Checked out a couple of vids....this band is a parody of bad 80's rock, imo. Axl is the only original member and he is as pretentious and obnoxious as ever. Couldn't stand his singing in the original line up and it sure hasn't improved any. Axl just seems so full of himself and he is so out of shape he runs out of breath after every phrase he sings. He screaming vocal style is a bad approximation of singing and I wonder what it is that people like about it. confused smiley

Yeah GnR rocked a few songs in their prime mostly due to Slash's contributions and it looks like Axl is milking the past glory as much as he can. This band is about money cause it sure ain't about good new music. imo. peace

For once we agree completely about something.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 26, 2015 03:43

Their strongest aspect was Slash's guitar. Axl's voice sounds like a mosquito's in the room. I'm currently reading the new Rolling Stone Magazine's special edition on all the Beatles albums. I couldn't help think of Chinese Democracy when reading that the Beatles recorded Rubber Soul in a MONTH.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 26, 2015 04:12

I'm a gigantic GNR fan. I've seen the current lineup and to me it is a shell of what that band once was. That band was all of them, but most importantly it was Axl and Slash (and very much Izzy, but the other two were the most prominent). You take all of them away and leave Axl and its bound to go wrong.

Here's the thing. Chinese Democracy isn't bad at all. Its actually a very good record. I truly like about 9 out of the 15 songs. I don't think any stand up to GNR classics, but there are some classics on there, including Prostitue, There Was A Time, IRS, etc. It is a good record. But the bottom line is its an Axl Rose solo record, calling it anything else is taking advantage of the GNR name. Its Axl, and thats it. And its a fine album, but it also took WAAAAY too long to come out, was overhyped by him and the rest of the band, and was overproduced. Thats just the bottom line.

Its sad that in 20 years its the only record Axl has put out, and in my opinion it'll be the only album he puts out after the breakup. He can't really sing anymore and he's too out of shape for me to think he's going to continue much longer. And on the contrary, Slash has put out some quality music in the last 10 years, as have the other members. But specifically Slash. You hear his albums and to many they are generic and lacking the depth of GNR, which is relatively true. But they also have that touch that only Slash can provide, the same way Axl has the touch only he can do. They were best as a team, but I applaud Slash in moving forward and getting quality music out as much as he can to his best abilities. Axl, on the other hand, has been touring one album that isn't worth touring 14 years for, and lives off a legacy that he couldn't tour without. His band is fine, and they are talented players, but they are hired hands who are paid to play the songs very well. They didn't write them, and as someone thats seen them, they just don't have the power of the original band.

I don't know. Its a lot of different things, but its mainly down to wasted time and bad decisions on Axl's part. He dragged that GNR name through the mud and now they basically do nothing but tour South America. Had he put out more records, had he truly tried to stay fit enough to tour well, and had he stopped being such a god damn a-hole he could have really done some good things after the breakup of that original band. But as a huge GNR fan, it makes me sad to see what he's done to a once incredible band. Being a GNR fan is IMO one of the hardest fanbases to be a part of, and Axl has made it a living hell for most people.

Date: January 26, 2015 04:14

Also, maybe you're the lone exception, but nearly every single Guns N Roses fan ever, past and current, absolutely despises DJ Ashba. Like, people hate him with a passion. So as you're singling him out as superb, I think you're going to be very alone in that opinion.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 26, 2015 04:26

I liked Izzy. Didn't care much for the rest of them, although they did make a mighty impressive debut LP.

Date: January 26, 2015 05:42

71Tele
Naturalust

For once we agree completely about something.

Then I guess I won't go into how much Chuck could help this band out....lol.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2015 06:00

The Wikipedia page for GNR is a hilarious read.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 26, 2015 11:28

The current line up is just earth shattering horrible. These are not musicians, these are actors acting they are rock stars. This band really is one of the worst tribute bands ever. In fact, they don't pay tribute, they put the original band to shame. Their dress, make up, hats and bandana's -it's like a musical for 8 graders. The guitar players have no melodic sense what so ever, it's all tasteless technical flash. And Axl looks horrible with his overweight and failed face lifts.

And this statement comes from a guy whom rates UYI I and II as his number 2 and 3 favourite albums ever.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 26, 2015 11:36

And what's your #1 Mathijs?

Imho the problem with the current incarnation of this band is that, live, they all play by a click-track, even the drummer.
That give the music a horrible stale feeling.

What a long sad degenrate way from the glorious Steven Adler days : Adler has a monstrous groove.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 26, 2015 11:40

Judging this band via shitty cellphone videos on You Tube is a real disservice to them. Go to the show and then get back to me. I saw them in 2006, 2009 & 2012 and this is the tightest lineup since the original. They rocked for more than three hours and Axl Rose is still one of the most charismatic front men of all time.

Date: January 26, 2015 12:56

Title5Take1
Their strongest aspect was Slash's guitar. Axl's voice sounds like a mosquito's in the room. I'm currently reading the new Rolling Stone Magazine's special edition on all the Beatles albums. I couldn't help think of Chinese Democracy when reading that the Beatles recorded Rubber Soul in a MONTH.

Even more Izzy's songwriting and rhythm guitar, imo. The soul of the band.

Date: January 26, 2015 13:25

StonedInTokyo
this is the tightest lineup since the original.

Very few people outside the US saw the original line-up (with Adler) unless you saw the handful of club-shwos played in Europe (87) and Japan (88).

By the time they played these places with major gigs (91-93) they had already replaced Adler with the solid but boring Matt Sorum.

Date: January 26, 2015 13:28

dcba
StonedInTokyo
this is the tightest lineup since the original.

Very few people outside the US saw the original line-up (with Adler) unless you saw the handful of club-shwos played in Europe (87) and Japan (88).

By the time they played these places with major gigs (91-93) they had already replaced Adler with the solid but boring Matt Sorum.

That was the second lineup.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 26, 2015 14:35

Adler was present on the first australian tour in 88 or 89.

Anyway if you dig the current line up you should probably check out the recent 'Appetite for Democracy' Blu Ray- I'm guessing it will be a step up from YouTube!

Date: January 26, 2015 14:35

Duff-Axl-Izzy-Slash-Adler is the "Appetite" line-up = the original line-up.

Duff-Axl-Izzy-Slash-Sorum is the UYI line-up = the 2nd line-up.

Duff-Axl-Clarke-Slash-Sorum is the 3rd (and last) line-up.

Date: January 26, 2015 14:44

dcba
Duff-Axl-Izzy-Slash-Adler is the "Appetite" line-up = the original line-up.

Duff-Axl-Izzy-Slash-Sorum is the UYI line-up = the 2nd line-up.

Duff-Axl-Clarke-Slash-Sorum is the 3rd (and last) line-up.

The name Guns'n'Roses is playing on Tracii Guns' and Axl Rose's bands joining (LA Guns and Hollywood Rose) forces. Some of their famous songs (like Don't Cry) were penned within the first line up with Tracii Guns, Ole Beich, and drummer Rob Gardner.

Here's the original lineup playing Welcome To The Jungle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-26 14:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2015 16:14

Having seen the original lineup open up for Aerosmith a long time ago, and a somewhat revamped version at the 'riot show' in St. Louis, I was intrigued enough to watch the recent concert on Palladia.

Although they may be fine musicians in their own right, they did seem like a lot of 'wannabees'. Izzy made an appearance though!

I was also somewhat surprised that when Axl sang he sounded much like he did in the old days, but when he talked it sounded like he was wearing dentures; those chiclets of his didn't exactly look real so who knows.

Date: January 26, 2015 17:22

DandelionPowderman

The name Guns'n'Roses is playing on Tracii Guns' and Axl Rose's bands joining (LA Guns and Hollywood Rose) forces. Some of their famous songs (like Don't Cry) were penned within the first line up with Tracii Guns, Ole Beich, and drummer Rob Gardner.

I consider "original lineup" to be the one who officially records and releases a bunch of songs so I stand by what I said.

Date: January 26, 2015 17:24

dcba
DandelionPowderman

I consider "original lineup" to be the one who officially records and releases a bunch of songs so I stand by what I said.

Bearing the founders name, and writing songs that became million sales hits is irrelevant?

Let's agree on it being the classic lineup thumbs up

Date: January 26, 2015 19:05

Title5Take1
I couldn't help think of Chinese Democracy when reading that the Beatles recorded Rubber Soul in a MONTH.

I cringe when I think that some fools spent around $14 million on production costs alone to record Chinese Democracy. I think of all the good but hungry rock bands out there that could have used that money to record their debut releases and guess we could have had around 280 new releases using a generous $50K as the cost. Say only 5% of them were any good, that's still 14 good new records. Or use $100K and assume 10% were good, whatever.....

No wonder the record industry sucks so bad and we are stuck remembering how good it once was to be discovering great new music on every trip to the record store. I think Dallas Taylor's quote "David Geffen wouldn't know a great song if it slapped him in the face" is appropriate to repeat.

peace

Date: January 26, 2015 19:45

The original GNR lineup was fantastic. Today they are a joke...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-26 19:59 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 26, 2015 20:02

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2015 22:57

DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Bearing the founders name, and writing songs that became million sales hits is irrelevant?

Let's agree on it being the classic lineup thumbs up

The original lineup I was referring to was the and that recorded Appetite for Destruction.

The next lineup I saw was the touring band for Use Your Illusion which I believe had a different drummer (the guy from The Cult if I'm not mistaken).

Date: January 26, 2015 23:20

The original lineup is and always will be the Appetite For Destruction lineup. Or the Live Like A Suicide lineup if you prefer. To call any of those older people part of the original lineup is just looking for details and to annoy others. Ole Beach did nothing. Traci did nothing to further those songs. Those songs are from either Axl before the band happened or because of that Appetite band. Waste of time arguing anything different.

The original lineup of the Stones is not Dick Taylor. Its the 5 guys on the first record.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home