Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Beacon Theatre
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 2, 2015 02:42

I was at a show last night at the Beacon in NYC. As I sat waiting for it to get started, I spent a long time looking at the beautiful room, and the stage, and wishing I had been there for Shine A Light. It is truly one of the best venues I've ever been in. And I said to the woman next to me that the Stones really should be the permanent house band there. (What I got instead, as it was Jon Stewart's Night of Too Many Stars, was Jon Bon Jovi backed up by Gilbert Gotfried, and I only wished Gazza was there to share the misery.) I'd love to see the Stones play at Massey Hall in Toronto, a venue of similar size and vintage.

I'd love to hear from anyone who saw the Shine A Light shows, or other comments on great Stones venues. (And wish me luck getting home, it's snowing like a mother in New York!)

Re: Beacon Theatre
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 2, 2015 03:00

Safe travels girl! Sorry you had to endure Jon Bon Jovi and Gilbert Gotfried, what were you thinking? As far as The Stones playing there again I wouldn't hold my breath, but dreams are good.

Besides seeing them in a small club setting...my dream would be seeing them play the Saratoga Mountain Winery in the California Bay Area. I think it only seats about 2500 and it's a cool as hell Amphitheater in the Santa Cruz Mountain range. Red Rocks in Colorado would be my second choice. Both are unlikely..the number of venues they will ever play again seems pretty limited and as usual I'll have to settle for a ticket as close to the stage as possible.

peace

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 2, 2015 03:11

I love The Beacon but disagree. I simply think a Stones show is best at a stadium plus I really don't want to spend big money but that's beside the point, bigger is bigger. In 2014 I saw 3 shows and spent less than 300 bucks, I'd love to repeat that!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 03:12 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 2, 2015 03:50

Naturalust
... what were you thinking?

Was thinking... Jon Stewart, Amy Schumer, Steve Carell, Sarah Silverman, Steve Buscemi, John Oliver, Chris Rock, Louis CK, Triumph the Insult Dog, Jim Gaffigan, Vince D'Onofrio, Weird Al Yankovic and Paul Rudd (who stole the show!). grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 2, 2015 04:01

I saw Bon Jovi once, playing on a bandstand outside Virgin records in Cardiff, (1994 or 5)...I remember he looked me right in the eye as we walked passed, I didn't even know who he was until the girl I was with told me 10 minutes later.....strange.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-02 04:01 by EddieByword.

Date: March 2, 2015 04:31

SomeTorontoGirl
Naturalust
... what were you thinking?

Was thinking... Jon Stewart, Amy Schumer, Steve Carell, Sarah Silverman, Steve Buscemi, John Oliver, Chris Rock, Louis CK, Triumph the Insult Dog, Jim Gaffigan, Vince D'Onofrio, Weird Al Yankovic and Paul Rudd (who stole the show!). grinning smiley

Well that does sound like a good line up! Smiles marks probably still creased into your face. If still a benefit for autism even more better. peace

Date: March 2, 2015 09:39

Naturalust
Well that does sound like a good line up! Smiles marks probably still creased into your face. If still a benefit for autism even more better. peace

Yup!

[variety.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 2, 2015 13:49

radio city music hall is the best venue in nyc(next to msg of course)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 2, 2015 14:43

Tickets for the final Allman Brothers run at the Beacon were very expensive and very hard to obtain (but well worth the price and effort if you could get them). I can only imagine how it would be if the Stones were to do something similar. It is by far my favorite New York venue and it would be amazing to see them do proper shows there, without the cameras, extras, etc. that were at the Shine A Light filmings.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 2, 2015 14:59

They took away all the seats downstairs for the first of the two Beacon Theatre Stones shows. Even if these theatres are great and nice looking, you must bear in mind that what you see in a movie is not the same as happens in real life. Also there are paid models in the front. The more sceial the venue is, the more crazy the setup is, especially in NYC where there are so many VIP's. That's life. Even if I love to see the Stones up front and in person, in a small place, I know it is a selfish wish, so I agree that a large stadium makes it possible for more people fall in love with their great music.

Bjornulf

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 2, 2015 15:38

No way...After seeing the Roseland show I thought they same. Why just one club show? I really with they would do at least week at the Beacon. Then a stadium show. I also believe they could do a better job of getting ticktets to the fan for a reasonable price. The Dead & even dare I say it, the Dave Matthews do a great job of getting their die hard fans great seats without taking out a second mortgage.

It's gotten to the point where I almost don't care if the Stones tour...If I could hear Charlie at the Iridium again!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 2, 2015 15:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:12 by camper88.

Date: March 2, 2015 16:44

Camper 88-I have only seen Keith at the Beacon but have long thought the Chicago/Aragon set list is a glimpse of what they can do. Again, like the Dead (or Jerry on Broadway) they could do a week of club shows w/ variety in the set list. They could even does a blues set for example & then a stone set. Anyway, I hope the Beacon shows were better live that the movie. Some of the movie made me gringe. Not easy to do I really admire the band. For my two cents I wish they would get away from the theatrical Sympathy, Pick up the pace/tempo on Tumbling Dice, Add Mick Taylor on more songs/ second half of the show & use a grand piano on some songs-like Loving Cup. Would love to hear Keith on piano for one of his 2-3 songs.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2015 17:13

It was completely renovated after The Stones played there.

Date: March 2, 2015 17:31

camper88
I was at the first Beacon show and it ranks up there as one of the best shows I've seen them do (for me the ultimate is the Aragon show in 2002 because of a setlist that included Rocks Off, Torn Frayed, Rip This Joint, Hand of Fate, and CYHMK before it was commonly played--not to mention Dance Pt. 1 and Walk and Don't Look Back, etc.). But I digress
If you've seen the film/ dvd you may sense that there was a moment in All Down the Line and in She Was Hot when the band just lights things up. Live, in a venue like that, it's like having a 747 in your neighbour's garage. You feel like the building could take flight. They pretty much keep all burners on high for the show once they hit She Was Hot.
I was in the upper balcony, so I was far enough away from all of the distractions and machinery of filming (those cameras were very mobile) and I wasn't affected by the beautiful people in the first few rows. At the same time, everyone around me was having the best time ever. Two guys beside me were from California and had never been to a Stones concert before but had managed to get a ticket (mine was through random ticketmaster luck). The party in the balcony was one for real, genuine Stones fans who managed to get lucky. There was a surreal sense of being able to look down and see a celebrity almost any where you looked--or at the bar--and at the same time be in an island of Stones fans in the midst of a Martin Scorsese film set. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And the ticket was 50 bucks, or the equivalent of free for the Stones in NYC.

The only thing that was a mixed bag for me were the guest stars. I love Jack White and what he does, but I would have so preferred a Stones only version of Loving Cup. Love the song, ecstatic that they played it, but would have preferred Mick to sing it, sorry Jack.

Similarly, while I can appreciate Christina Aguilera's pipes and a few of her other attributes, I'd prefer a Stones only version of Live with Me or at least someone who's more aligned with the Stones style and musical tastes.

Buddy Guy, on the other hand, was outstanding. Champagne & Reefer may have been the highlight of the show where the history of the Stones was both collapsed and expanded through one song that transcended musical genres. Everyone had fun during that one.

Overall, there's nothing like a Stones theatre show. Nothing. Go if you ever get the chance. That's how they were built to operate: as a band in a theatre.

The only downside, seeing them the next time in a Stadium or area will remind you that you're not seeing them on the stage of a theatre. But I'll take that trade off, too.

I got the same feeling when I watched Crossfire Hurricane as well! First they played a 1981 (I think) concert clip, and then they switched to ADTL from SAL. The energy level of the latter was incredible!

I remember I thought at the time: "Vegas, schmegas, this band rocks!" grinning smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 2, 2015 17:35

More Hot Rocks
It was completely renovated after The Stones played there.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 2, 2015 17:49

Remember it cost the same to perform a club show as a larger show basically, because it is the same crew. If they do a stopover for a week (two shows) at a club, it is the same as two shows at MSG cost wise, for the Stones. Same band, same equipment, same backstage, same crew and so on. Transportation trucks catering and local security is the only difference, marginally different.

They did the two Beacon Theatre shows for the movie. If they were to do five shows at a club they would need two weeks, and with 35 - 55 dollars per ticket (Beacon Theatre prices from memory) it just does not count up. But it would be great, I sure agree.

In short, club shows are paid for by the other shows. They are an expense. But sure they are great.

Bjornulf

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 2, 2015 18:40

bv
Remember it cost the same to perform a club show as a larger show ...

Wouldn't it cost less to stage a club show because the stage setup is scaled down?...

Smaller stage, no "pit", less lighting equipment, less (or no) video equipment, no pyro, etc...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 2, 2015 19:17

I was at the Beacon show 2nd night and it was incredible, Stones were meant to be a bar band and play in these kinds of venues. Set list was all surprises and the sound was great. Saw them play at Giants Stadium and it was awful, poor sound and echos. Hard to make the songs out when they first started. And I paid over a hundred for that show and like $20 for the Beacon. There are ways to get tickets into the falls of the real fans. Many of the people in my section were like see, the Stones can play a nice varied set list and pull it off without playing so many warhorses.

Date: March 2, 2015 19:36

Bleedingman - Thanks so much! That's the picture I was trying to take in the rafters with my i Phone! Beautiful...

Date: March 2, 2015 20:25

They could do a stripped down club show. Sometimes less is more & sure throw in a few arena or stadium shows to offset the cost. I am pretty sure Dylan or the Allmans make money when they play the Beacon.

Date: March 2, 2015 20:41

chrism13
They could do a stripped down club show. Sometimes less is more & sure throw in a few arena or stadium shows to offset the cost. I am pretty sure Dylan or the Allmans make money when they play the Beacon.

I think with the Allmans, the Beacon was more than just the money. It was admittedly their favorite venue to play, a place they were always highly welcomed and very well received. Gregg talks about it in his book, they've played there over 200 times, it feels like home, etc. Also when they were reunited in 1989 the Beacon was the first place they really came together and gelled.

Althought I've no doubt they've made a few dollars off of their Live at the Beacon video which has gone platinum+ .. peace

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: March 2, 2015 21:22

SomeTorontoGirl
I'd love to see the Stones play at Massey Hall in Toronto, a venue of similar size and vintage.

I'd love this too, if only so I could say that I've performed on the same stage as the them smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 2, 2015 21:44

schillid
bv

Wouldn't it cost less to stage a club show because the stage setup is scaled down?...

Smaller stage, no "pit", less lighting equipment, less (or no) video equipment, no pyro, etc...

During a stadium tour, they have to rent each stadium for 3 days or whatever - set up, show, tear down. In the 1990s, as far as I know, the average rent of an NFL stadium was around $100,000 a day. I do not know what all comes with renting the stadium but I would think hardly anything. Add up electricity and facility people...

So doing a club is considerably cheaper overall but personnel wise one might think the part of the crew not needed, which would be a lot of people, get the day off without pay. Or perhaps a stipend or per diem. That is if they aren't tearing down, going to or setting up the previous or next show.

Date: March 3, 2015 06:58

GasLightStreet
schillid
bv

During a stadium tour, they have to rent each stadium for 3 days or whatever - set up, show, tear down. In the 1990s, as far as I know, the average rent of an NFL stadium was around $100,000 a day. I do not know what all comes with renting the stadium but I would think hardly anything. Add up electricity and facility people...

So doing a club is considerably cheaper overall but personnel wise one might think the part of the crew not needed, which would be a lot of people, get the day off without pay. Or perhaps a stipend or per diem. That is if they aren't tearing down, going to or setting up the previous or next show.

It obviously costs a lot less to play a club show than a stadium, the real question is who does it cost. Promoters are usually responsible for the venue rental, security and so forth while the band pays for the "show".
peace

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 3, 2015 11:06

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
schillid
bv

It obviously costs a lot less to play a club show than a stadium, the real question is who does it cost. Promoters are usually responsible for the venue rental, security and so forth while the band pays for the "show".
peace

If they are on a tour, the equipment is already bought / rented - so, the same price if they use the equipment 25 times or 20 times. The crew is already hired even if they put up a stage 25 times or 20 times. The only difference is renting a stadium, but then they have 50.000-80.000 less people to by a beer / hotdog / souvenir etc. So, the cost is basically the same.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 15:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:11 by camper88.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:13

I would think ticket pricing for a club, if it's the similar outrageous prices for arenas and stadiums, would have a better return for a club show strictly in that regard. Less available... I doubt the stadium migraine priced tickets sell out.

Date: March 3, 2015 16:30

camper88
I think it's too bad that the Stones don't try the Billy Joel model (I don't mean Christie) of taking up residency at MSG.

I know it's a different thing for a band to be stage-ready, but it would be amazing if the Stones did a Living in Exile Tour, where they played three or four times a month for 3-4 months in New York, London, Paris, Rome, etc.; that is, major cities with large tourist populations that could support shows of 20,000 or so every weekend. The band does without the grind of constant travel, the fans can go to the cities that they love, the setlist can be adjusted over the time in each city, and everyone's happy.

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:39

I was there for the second show. They only took out a few rows

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home