Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Not Fade Away - Top Of The Pops
Posted by: RODAXE ()
Date: March 3, 2015 12:26

I 've read in a lot of books that the rolling stones recorded a promofilm for top of the pops on a beach. They were in a cliff with small stones rolling behind them, and they're were miming to "not fade away". It seems that was aired in february 22, 1964. Does anyone remember seeing this? Or does anyone have a pic of it?

It's like that, but they were in a cliff:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Not Fade Away - Top Of The Pops
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 3, 2015 13:35

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 17:22 by vudicus.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 3, 2015 14:14

It must almost be regarded as a criminal act to delete that video clip with The Rolling Stones from 1964. ... Is there someone we can sue? cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 3, 2015 22:49

Come On
It must almost be regarded as a criminal act to delete that video clip with The Rolling Stones from 1964. ... Is there someone we can sue? cool smiley

Hindsight is wonderful.

In the early 1960s through to the 1970s videotaping and (importantly) video tape was EXPENSIVE. The BBC (for they are the guilty party) had a policy of wiping & reusing the expensive tapes. (My brother's first wife's sister had that actual job!)

The BBC are very aware of the fact of the loss of such treasures - not just in the realm of pop music, but in all areas of their broadcasting. Series like 'Dr Who' and 'Dads Army' suffered from the same fate.

Off Air Home recording was pretty much unknown (but it seems did exist). From time to time, even after all these years, recordings pop up. Mainly they are from copies sent to overseas broadcasters who had re-broadcast contracts with the BBC - film is found in dusty reels in long unvisited vaults in faraway places.

Whilst technically, and pedantically, anyone with a copy of this early stuff is in breach of copyright, if you have some and pass it back to (usually) the BBC you'll be greeted with adulation and not litigation! Guaranteed!

(Aside: In those days, and to my personal certain knowledge in the late 1970s - the BBC tape library was in a sort of hangar in Ealing (not far from a certain Tea Rooms!) alongside the Underground tracks. There was little climate control, no access security of any significance, and (when I visited) they were still using a filing card based access system! I do rather hope that it has changed!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ash ()
Date: March 4, 2015 14:29

CaptainCorella
Come On

Hindsight is wonderful.

In the early 1960s through to the 1970s videotaping and (importantly) video tape was EXPENSIVE. The BBC (for they are the guilty party) had a policy of wiping & reusing the expensive tapes. (My brother's first wife's sister had that actual job!)

The BBC are very aware of the fact of the loss of such treasures - not just in the realm of pop music, but in all areas of their broadcasting. Series like 'Dr Who' and 'Dads Army' suffered from the same fate.

Off Air Home recording was pretty much unknown (but it seems did exist). From time to time, even after all these years, recordings pop up. Mainly they are from copies sent to overseas broadcasters who had re-broadcast contracts with the BBC - film is found in dusty reels in long unvisited vaults in faraway places.

Whilst technically, and pedantically, anyone with a copy of this early stuff is in breach of copyright, if you have some and pass it back to (usually) the BBC you'll be greeted with adulation and not litigation! Guaranteed!

(Aside: In those days, and to my personal certain knowledge in the late 1970s - the BBC tape library was in a sort of hangar in Ealing (not far from a certain Tea Rooms!) alongside the Underground tracks. There was little climate control, no access security of any significance, and (when I visited) they were still using a filing card based access system! I do rather hope that it has changed!)

Agree Captain...what irks me is that once this stuff is back at the BBC we seem to have even less chance of seeing/hearing it again unless it's Dr Who.
They are "a bit difficult" if you want to release the out of copyright pre 1963 radio sessions. A few legit companies have tried and given up due to the problem of the BBC's demands over material they junked. The whole thing is a minefield with artists,composers,managers, record companies,photographers/agencies and the BBC all having to agree. It's hard enough getting the members of a band to agree on anything let alone the rest of those listed. By the time this stuff gets out no-one will be interested.
I'm assuming someone will let us see the Pink Floyd TOTP See Emily Play discovered a few years ago . Maybe the 50th anniversary of Piper, maybe not. If not, then it hardly seems worth it being rediscovered.
The costs of video licencing start at around £1000 a minute as far as i'm aware.
It is also worth pointing out that all this stuff was paid for by the British public as a result of the licence fee.
The whole question of archiving policy needs to be looked at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home