Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Get Yourself Together - August, 1966
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 19, 2011 00:07

This sounds pretty good to me, though Jagger's voice could use a little bit more echo. Otherwise it would have made a good contribution to their Flowers L.P. Is Brian playing a big role on this song?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-20 07:04 by mitchflorida.

Re: Get Yourself Together - November, 1966
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 19, 2011 06:18

Keith is most likley playing the main guitar, but the 2nd is only doing short chordal stabs so it's hard to identify a player just from that.

Maybe Brian/or Jack on piano or the hammond organ in the background!?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 19, 2011 10:30

Flowers? Should've been on Between The Buttons (UK version)! Probably their greatest unreleased self-composed song.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: May 19, 2011 12:23

^co-sign.

Love the version of the Chesterfield Kings, too!

Date: May 19, 2011 13:51

Charlie's drumming on this cut seems rather pedestrian. He should really be featured as opposed to merely playing the beat.

The first time I was ever wowed by Charlie's drumming was on Dandelion and also All Sold Old . .

Re: Get Yourself Together - August, 1966
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2011 15:04

I'm quite suprised they didn't find an outlet for this recording. Like Looking Tired, was it originally intended for Could You Walk On Water, perhaps? I guess they either disliked it or there just wasn't the room to release it. It certainly would have been a better fit than their atrocious rendition of My Girl. It seems to be one of the most complete of their 60's outtakes and IMO, is the equal of Ride On, Baby.

Date: May 19, 2011 15:17

On Flowers, they put Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together, which they had previously put on Between the Buttons. I always thought that was a bit of a rip off to the Stones fans. They also padded it with Lady Jane , which was a repeat from Aftermath!

The Stones never really paid attention and could have put Dandelion, What to Do, and even this song Get Yourself Together on it. Flowers was just a general rip off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-19 15:22 by mitchflorida.

Date: May 19, 2011 17:24

mitchflorida
On Flowers, they put Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together, which they had previously put on Between the Buttons. I always thought that was a bit of a rip off to the Stones fans. They also padded it with Lady Jane , which was a repeat from Aftermath!

The Stones never really paid attention and could have put Dandelion, What to Do, and even this song Get Yourself Together on it. Flowers was just a general rip off.

Flowers is a compilation after all, so that wasn't so strange, imo. LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday weren't on the original BTB-release. My Girl was on one of the first EPs, no?

Date: May 19, 2011 17:29

Big Al
Like Looking Tired, was it originally intended for Could You Walk On Water, perhaps?

No, it was recorded after that intended project. Definitely a BTB outtake.

Date: May 19, 2011 17:31

Like Decembers Children, they probably had nothing to do with compiling the Flowers album.

Date: May 19, 2011 17:32

Sleepy City
Big Al
Like Looking Tired, was it originally intended for Could You Walk On Water, perhaps?

Are we basing this on Bill saying it was?

Date: May 19, 2011 17:37

DandelionPowderman
mitchflorida

Flowers is a compilation after all, so that wasn't so strange, imo. LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday weren't on the original BTB-release. My Girl was on one of the first EPs, no?

The English versions of Aftermath and BTB were much different from the American versions.

Date: May 19, 2011 17:39

His Majesty
Like Decembers Children, they probably had nothing to do with compiling the Flowers album.

They may have not paid much attention to it, but they certainly signed off on it. Same thing with putting crowd noise background on Fortune Teller on Got Live if You Want it.

Date: May 19, 2011 17:45

His Majesty
Sleepy City
Big Al

Are we basing this on Bill saying it was?

The alternate (more demo-like) version that's circulating sounds very much like it was recorded at the same session as the demo for 'Yesterday's Papers'. Besides, it certainly doesn't sound like a late 1965 recording to my ears (the released 'Aftermath' was recorded in two distinct batches of sessions, December 1965 [Walk On Water] & March 1966).

Date: May 19, 2011 17:48

The earlier(?) demo version.

Date: May 19, 2011 18:09

Sleepy City

I can't even hear Brian playing on this version . . it really isn't really very good.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 19, 2011 19:22

Sleepy City
Flowers? Should've been on Between The Buttons (UK version)! Probably their greatest unreleased self-composed song.

I also like the song a lot, but I have other favourites, in which "I Need You" tops the list. "Get Yourself Together" has a nice chord-change and all, but it's all kind of straining - after one and a half minute. And what's Jagger singing about.....something about the "looks" of a woman, seeing that she "got herself together". Doesn't make sense. Good looking women often are insane or drug-addicts while the "every day looking women" can be quite cool. Anyway, that's not an important thing - it's just that I find this song to be quite catchy - but also very straining and boring. I understand that they didn't release it.

Date: May 19, 2011 19:37

mitchflorida
Sleepy City

I can't even hear Brian playing on this version . . it really isn't really very good.

It's obviously (like 'Yesterday's Papers') just a rough run-through where the band are learning the song. Presumably Brian is having more trouble learning it than the others. ; )

Date: May 19, 2011 19:39

Erik_Snow
Sleepy City

I also like the song a lot, but I have other favourites, in which "I Need You" tops the list. "Get Yourself Together" has a nice chord-change and all, but it's all kind of straining - after one and a half minute. And what's Jagger singing about.....something about the "looks" of a woman, seeing that she "got herself together". Doesn't make sense. Good looking women often are insane or drug-addicts while the "every day looking women" can be quite cool. Anyway, that's not an important thing - it's just that I find this song to be quite catchy - but also very straining and boring. I understand that they didn't release it.

They rehashed part of the riff for the 1967 Sunday Night At The London Palladium version of 'It's All Over Now' (backing track recorded at Olympic studios).

Date: May 19, 2011 19:43

Erik_Snow
Sleepy City

The song needs some work . .maybe some better piano playing and drumming . but the essence is there.

I can't begin to tell you how much material the Stones have released that was inferior to this.

Date: May 19, 2011 19:43

Sleepy City
Erik_Snow
Sleepy City

They rehashed part of the riff for the 1967 Sunday Night At The London Palladium version of 'It's All Over Now' (backing track recorded at Olympic studios).

Yes I know. But what so what?

Date: May 19, 2011 19:46

Erik_Snow
Sleepy City
Erik_Snow
Sleepy City

Well I'm sure not everyone on this forum was aware... eye rolling smiley

Date: May 19, 2011 19:53

Sleepy City
Erik_Snow
Sleepy City
Erik_Snow
Sleepy City

Well I'm sure not everyone on this forum was aware... eye rolling smiley

THey probably aren't that's true, but there's no point in your post/reply. Rolling Stones were completely stoned during the rehearsal, and the fact that they "rehearsed the song" doesn't mean anything at all.
They even rehearsed Luxury in 1994 - it would've been a disaster - as that one wouldn't suit any lisa/bernard/vegas styling at all.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 19, 2011 19:54

Handova
^co-sign.

Love the version of the Chesterfield Kings, too!

thumbs up

Date: May 19, 2011 20:00

Erik_Snow
They even rehearsed Luxury in 1994 - it would've been a disaster - as that one wouldn't suit any lisa/bernard/vegas styling at all.

Crap song anyway. It didn't remain in the set for long even in '75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-19 20:00 by Sleepy City.

Date: May 19, 2011 20:25

Sleepy City
Erik_Snow

Now - we don't agree. Excellent song - followed by their best tour ever (after 1972). So we're on different levels.

Date: May 19, 2011 20:34

Erik_Snow
Sleepy City
Erik_Snow

Now - we don't agree. Excellent song - followed by their best tour ever (after 1972). So we're on different levels.

I consider the band to have peaked both creatively & as an exciting live act in late 66 / early 67. So yes, definitely on different levels. smileys with beer

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2011 20:36

DandelionPowderman
My Girl was on one of the first EPs, no?

No - could you be thinking of You Better Move On? First released in the UK in Jan/Feb '64 on their debut EP, but not released in the States until Decembers Children in '65.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 19, 2011 22:21

Except for Charlie's 'Get Off My Cloud' drumming, this has a unique sound. Definitely better than some of the badly recorded dreck on BTBs.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: May 19, 2011 22:53

this should an single then

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home