Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Connections: Stones & Patti Smith
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 18, 2011 00:43

have they ever met? any comments from Patti or the Stones?
Patti used to play some great rock and roll and "Time Is On My Side" in 1975 and 1976, but that's not even a Stones tune...

Re: Connections: Stones & Patti Smith
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 18, 2011 00:53

Patti opened for them in '78 and covered "Gimme Shelter" on her album TWELVE.

And yes, she's written about them as well.

(Edited to correct album title.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-18 01:10 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: May 18, 2011 00:54

Didn't Keith call her " a poser of the worst kind"?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2011 01:00

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 18, 2011 01:04

Glam Descendant
Patti opened for them in '78 and covered "Gimme Shelter" on her album THIRTEEN TWELVE.

And yes, she's written about them as well.

Date: May 18, 2011 01:10

Her essay on the Stones was title "The Rise of the Sacred Monsters" and is worth seeking out.

She also wrote a cycle of poems about Brian.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 02:07

See Mick's comments about Patti Smith in the exchange below:

Q: Can you remember any of the New York bands like the Patti Smith Group? Do you like Patti?

JAGGER: "I think it's crap! I think she's so awful...she's full of rubbish, she's full of words and crap. I mean, she's a poseur of the worst kind, intellectual bullshit, trying to be a street girl when she doesn't seem to me to be one, I mean, everything...a useless guitar player, a bad singer, not attractive."

Q. Isn't that what people used to say about you?

JAGGER: "No. I was always very attractive, much better singer, much better with words, and I wasn't an intellectual poseur. She's got her heart in the right place but she's such a POSER! She's not really together musically, she's...all right."

The full interview is below:

Mick Jagger
Sandy Robertson, Sounds, 29 October 1977

Q. The Stones always meant a lot to a lot of people, but are your own motivations for carrying on and doing it the same as they were 15 years ago?

JAGGER: "It's difficult to know what motivates you to do it at all. You just do it because you feel you've got to do it. I don't know why we did it in the first place, really. It wasn't a very obvious thing to do to be a blues band at that time, y'know what I mean? And maybe it's not a very good idea to be a rock band now, cause there's so many around.

"I think in rock n roll you're never motivated by money at the beginning. There may be a period you go through where you're motivated by money cause you don't HAVE any....people in rock and roll have very little money, sometimes they spend so much. They spend it all on ridiculous things.

"In about 67 I didn't have any money at all, I didn't have enough to pay the rent. What motivates me now to do it....I think it's basically the same thing, you just wanna play."

Q. But, like The Pistols say....

JAGGER: "How d'you pronounce it?"

Q. Pist-ols, Piiiist-ollls....

JAGGER: "Sounds like the Pests, thats great...The Pests." (Laughs)

Q. They regard you as part of everything they hate....

JAGGER: "So they say, so their manager says. He used to run this ted shop in the Kings Rd. I think it was just media manipulation. I think there's a basic amount of truth in it, it helps if you really think something, but you can't use that very long, you've got to come up with some other lines....you can't use one line forever."

Q. The Clash say that if they make money they'll put it back into clubs and places for bands to play. Did you never think that you might do something like that?

JAGGER: "No; I don't wanna be a club owner, I wanna be in a rock n roll band. I don't wanna be a capitalist club owner like The Clash do (laughs) Who wants to run a club!? If you put money into a club you've got to run it, you don't wanna see the money dissipated down the drain next week, do you?"

Q. It's almost like a youth club, sort of....

JAGGER: "Why don't they start one?"

Q. They haven't got enough money yet.

JAGGER: "They better make some more then....give people an opportunity, they should work harder."

Q. Well, I'm sure they intend to, with that manager....(laughter) but don't you think you'd do anything like that, be a philanthropist?

JAGGER: "Charlie did, Charlie always wanted to put money into clubs and things. I was never really interested. A philanthropist, thats not philanthropy, putting money into rock clubs, that's self-perpetuation...always gives you somewhere to play. Philanthropy is giving money away without any hope of getting anything back. Thats why I hate charity balls at the Dorchester, cause all those people are spending a lot of money on a dinner, and giving money away, but they've all got their names on a list so you can read what pillars of society they are for giving money to poor people or people who have cancer. Thats not how charity should be."

Q. What's happening with Keith just now?

JAGGER: "He's in New York attacking punk rock, so I read. The story is that he stopped his old lady going to see punk bands...absolute crap. The Sun, can you believe this? It's a great story..."

Q. Oh, 'Punk Is Junk', it says...

JAGGER: "Yeah, A line there...He's stopping his old lady going out, isn't it awful...sexist behaviour!"

Q. What'll The Stones do if he doesn't get off (from his Canadian drugs trial)?

JAGGER: "That's a totally hypothetical question. In between nothing's gonna happen and life imprisonment there's an endless variety of things that could happen. I mean, they could make him stay in a hospital for 3 months, they could tie him up, they could do anything...They could make him go on probation, they could make him report to the Canadian authorities every week, they could do anything they want. There's an endless variety of restrictions they could put on him, right? So I have no idea what they're gonna do, therefore I have no idea what the band's gonna do."

Q. You must have considered the position to some extent.

JAGGER: "I really don't know, your guess is as good as mine. It could go on for another year, appeals and all that."

Q. Has he said anything to you about what his feelings are?

JAGGER: "No."

Q. I heard that Jimmy Page had offered his services...

JAGGER: "I heard that too. Where did you read it?"

Q. I think it was a music paper....I brought you these (hands Mick some Step Forward singles). I thought this one might interest you cause it's got a version of 'The Last Time'(Wayne County EP).

JAGGER: "On Illegal! Thank you. I been seeing some funny bands in New York this week, can't remember any of their names. Kept playing Zeppelin numbers in the middle of things..."

Q. Have you heard a lot of the new bands?

JAGGER: "Yeah. I've heard a lot".

Q. Anything particular thats grabbed you?

JAGGER: "No, they're getting really boring, that's all. Some of them are really good, though, some good records..."

Q. I think they probably started out with the right intentions...the feeling that they could change things...

JAGGER: "Not enough is moving. I'm afraid this country is so stagnant, so fashion conscious that everything can just fall to pieces. It's a bit disappointing, not enough bands have gone over to America and really worked it."

Q. But it's early days yet isn't it?

JAGGER: "No it's not. It's been 2 years already, it's all established. The whole scene is so together. When we went there it wasn't at all together. There's a rock circuit, a whole thing you can just book into, plug into the whole thing. There's an awful lot of work if you wanna be a well known band, which you've got to do."

Q. Can you remember any of the New York bands like the Patti Smith Group? Do you like Patti?

JAGGER: "I think it's crap! I think she's so awful...she's full of rubbish, she's full of words and crap. I mean, she's a poseur of the worst kind, intellectual bullshit, trying to be a street girl when she doesn't seem to me to be one, I mean, everything...a useless guitar player, a bad singer, not attractive."

Q. Isn't that what people used to say about you?

JAGGER: "No. I was always very attractive, much better singer, much better with words, and I wasn't an intellectual poseur. She's got her heart in the right place but she's such a POSER! She's not really together musically, she's...all right."

Q. But she's only a poser in the sense that she admits she's into image, it's a conscious thing.

JAGGER: "Oh, punk rock is such a posey thing."

Q. What music do you listen to?

JAGGER: "I listen to everything."

Q. You'd go from the Clash to some jazz to...

JAGGER: "I can't listen to the Clash when I wake up in the morning..."

Q. Kim Fowley says rock n roll is dead....

JAGGER: "Kim Fowley? Rock n roll's a dead end, is my line. For dead end people."

Q. Is it a good dead end to be in?

JAGGER: "It's fun for a while."

Q. Is it still fun for you?

JAGGER: "Yeah, it's still fun. It's not always fun all the time. No gig's fun always."

Q. Have you ever thought of going back to the singles format?

JAGGER: "That's what everyone's been saying, that's the question of the week! Nick Kent started saying that...I've got to see him later, silly old slag (laughter) No, I don't really know if I'm really interested. If we have 'em we'll put 'em out, if we don't have 'em we won't. It requires a conscious effort to do it. I've written so many things lately, I dunno if they're really singles, some of them are very singles orientated."

Q. You wouldn't want to go back to 8 track though?

JAGGER: "Oh, 8 track...I recorded 'It's Only Rock n Roll' on 8 track. You think we record in some luxury place in Colorado or something? We record in these weird places in the middle of nowhere with all kinds of machinery. We made singles on cassettes...8 tracks a luxury. We made 'Jumpin Jack Flash' on a cassette recorder...and then we put the bass on an 8 track and the voice, I mean, it's nothing new."

Q.: Do you think your fans are growing up with you, or do you think you're picking up...? Do you think you can still relate to 16 year olds?

JAGGER: "Pickin' up...I know I am, I know I can. I live near Lennox Hill High School in New York, and I know I can relate..."

Q. To little girls...

JAGGER: "Well little girls is what I'm after, I'm not after little boys yet...a bit, but not much. I never started off trying to relate to them anyway. I wasn't trying to relate to 16 year olds, I was like, 19....I was TWENTY years old, they were kids to me, when we, started getting them it was horrific, we didn't want to play that kind of rubbish, you know, to relate to them we had to play other kinds of music. We had to play more things that they liked, they didn't wanna hear Muddy Waters, they wanted to hear whatever stupid music they were listening to at the time...

"I kind of like all those groups in a way (the New Wave), I identify very readily with them, why shouldn't I? But they're not having much impact, and unless they do a lot more work they're gonna just be dead....'cause rock n roll goes through stages very quickly. I remember when the Monkees were the biggest thing ever. Things do change, don't you remember skinheads? It seems like forever ago now...Slade, they used to sell millions of singles, literally millions."

Q. I don t think it's quite the same sort of thing...

JAGGER: "No, it isn't, it's very different, what I'm saying is it's not having any impact in a lot of places at all. The trouble is that you're very laid open to the argument that as soon as you go off to America and stay there for a while, as you've gotta do, you're really gonna be under the argument when you come back that you've abandoned us and all that shit..."

Q. I must admit, the majority over there still buy Peter Frampton albums...

JAGGER: "They do! That's what everyone's into...They're buying The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, they're not buying the Sex Pistols."

Q. Fowley says housewives determine what sells in the States

JAGGER: "I don't know what housewives would like now, anyway...I don't go out with housewives...I never have, I'm never gonna."

Q. Give it a few years.

JAGGER: "I ain't gonna go out with housewives, even in a few years. I'd rather have showgirls than housewives!"

Q. There's always the school down the road...

JAGGER: "Can't keep that up forever..."

Q. Can't keep it up forever?!

JAGGER: "You can't keep it up with 16 year old girls forever, they're very demanding!"

Q. "You dirty old man...."

JAGGER: (Laughs) "How old are you, anyway?"

Q. 23.

JAGGER: "That's too old...(laughs)..she's over the top!"

Q. You all finished?

JAGGER: "Well...(Mimics) `I've got to write 2,000 words!'...Listen, I don't give a damn what you got to write." (Laughs) `The bigger the feature, the more money I get.' I get hassled writing six verses of a song..."

Q. But you've got to make it rhyme. Have you got any ultimate philosophy?.....

JAGGER: "Aaaaaoooohhhhh! No, are you kidding?"

Q. C'mon, lets lock horns on a metaphysical plateau. (Fowleyism)

JAGGER: (laughs) "Oh, bullshit, this is the part I hate. We don't want to talk about metaphysics, not in SOUNDS. You can't go from punk rock to metaphysics....c'mon!!!"

Q. That's what they're looking for now...Patti Smith could.

JAGGER: "Yeah, but she'd jive you. I'm not gonna jive you. I don't know anything about philosophy, I don't HAVE any philosophy, I don't want one..."

Q. So you're a nihilist then?

JAGGER: "Oooh! (laughs) No...I'm not a nihilist. I don't know. I'm not really going through a very spiritual phase at the moment, I must say. I seem to have been going through a totally physical phase. I think you should build upon your spiritual life as much as you can, it's really important....nearly everybody avoids it, cause it's painful, y'know? It's really the end of one's life is to build your spiritual life to the highest peak, and that's what I really aim to do with my life, anyway, doesn't mean it's gonna apply to everybody."

Q, Are you happy at the moment?

JAGGER: "Mmm-hmm, yes I am."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-18 02:17 by Title5Take1.

Date: May 18, 2011 02:20

from an interview last year:

[blogs.seattleweekly.com]

Do you still listen to the Rolling Stones?

Not as much as I used to. If I'm somewhere and hear a Rolling Sones song come over the radio, it's still exciting. I don't sit around listening to them. I listen to a lot of opera records. A lot of Glenn Gould. If I'm in a car, and the Rolling Stones, you know -- "Gimmie Shelter" or "Under My Thumb," and something comes on and it's "19th Nervous Breakdown" -- it's still exciting.

You speak of Brian Jones very lovingly. Did you lose interest after Brian Jones' death?

They never seemed exactly the same. But they wrote a lot of great songs after Brian Jones' death. So, I continued to, you know, feel loyalty to the Stones. Mick Jagger is a great performer, and Keith Richards, and Charlie Watts a great drummer. Maybe I didn't have the same youthful affection. Maybe I didn't have the same adolescent crush. But they're great. Their music is great. And they've written some of the greatest rock and roll songs ever. I greatly appreciate them.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 18, 2011 02:47

You can see her quite clearly in the crowd at the Abattoirs Paris 76 video.

And she's covered about 10 Stones song at her gigs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2011 03:11

Jagger's 'outpunk the punks' style interviews from around '77 make very funny reading now, especially his anti-capitalist rantings.

Patti's a massive Stones fan and always has been. She even claimed to have her first orgasm watching the Stones on the Ed Sullivan show.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 18, 2011 04:42

I read once that she opened for the stones but when they came to play their set she tried to gatecrash the stage and Mick had to have her physically removed....I don't know if that was just from the stage or the whole building but it sounded like Mick was thoroughly pissed off with her.........

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2011 05:38

There's an interview with her in David Dalton's book, describing how she got very excited when she first saw the Stones on TV in the sixties.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 18, 2011 06:01

I like some of her music, but man she seems to take herself VERY seriously.

Posted by: Enmore2003 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 07:34

Check out the video of her playing Horses on the OGWT, pretty impressive, good groove........

Date: May 18, 2011 11:45

1) Not Fade Away (Acoustic)
2) Jumping Jack Flash (Acoustic)
3) Time Is On My Side
4) Parachute Woman
5) Paint It Black
6) The Last Time
7) Jumping Jack Flash
8) Salt Of The Earth
9) Not Fade Away
10) Like A Rolling Stone
11) Gimme Shelter
Bonus Track (medley):
12) Bo Diddley / Gonna Have A Funky Good Time / Living In America / Not Fade Away

Date: May 18, 2011 11:49

Did someone say Rolling Stone and Patti Smith? Er, here's another one.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 18, 2011 14:58

Little T&A

2 1 2 0

Date: May 18, 2011 16:03

Koen
There's an interview with her in David Dalton's book, describing how she got very excited when she first saw the Stones on TV in the sixties.

Indeed. Thats the very one I was referring to, Koen. She was er.,...quite graphic.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:09

Ahh, yes, I missed your comment above. IIRC she said she was watching the show with her parents, I always wondered how all that happened smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-18 16:15 by Koen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:13

In the interview Jagger comes across as very open and free spoken. Quite contrary to what we are used to. I wonder if this was the last time he could afford to be so, comparatively, honest? He wasn't nice to Patti though.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:17

Also.. and I'm scraping my memory banks... I remember an interview in NME where she said she was talking to Mick Jagger and asked him "do you come all the time" and I think Mick said no and she said she did and grabbed his hand and put it on her you know what...

I'm pretty sure that was in NME about 1976 or 1977... powerful stuff for a kid reading this in his teens.

She's a bit bonkers.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:18

Koen
Ahh, yes, I missed your comment above. IIRC she said she was watching the show with her parents, I always wondered how all that happened smiling smiley
Ahh, a family show perhaps ?............eye popping smiley

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: May 18, 2011 17:08

The Female Mick Jagger?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 18, 2011 17:11

then there's the whole patti smith-jim carroll-stones/keith connection

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 18, 2011 17:21

GravityBoy
Also.. and I'm scraping my memory banks... I remember an interview in NME where she said she was talking to Mick Jagger and asked him "do you come all the time" and I think Mick said no and she said she did and grabbed his hand and put it on her you know what...

I'm pretty sure that was in NME about 1976 or 1977... powerful stuff for a kid reading this in his teens.

She's a bit bonkers.

Actually I'm remembering some more... she asked him if he "came" on stage and she said she did all the time.

Date: May 18, 2011 17:57

Koen

It was, how can I put it, a 'hands free' experience....eye popping smiley

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: May 18, 2011 19:02

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 18, 2011 19:11

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 18, 2011 19:13

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 18, 2011 19:24

She also made a tribute poem to Brian called..."Brian Jones".
Released on vinyl 7", see:
[www.discogs.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home