Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Video: Streets Of Love (Parody)
Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: January 28, 2015 23:28

-----------------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Re: Video: Streets Of Love (Parody)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2015 23:35

I think it becomes glaringly clear how bad this song actually is hearing someone else perform it.

Mick's performance makes this song better than it is...but just horrible lyrics.

Not sure I 'get' the actual parody though...perhaps context is everything.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 29, 2015 01:10

As long I don't hear voices the song is okay............................

Date: January 29, 2015 01:30

NICOS
As long I don't hear voices the song is okay............................

hey, that isn't awful bad! smileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 29, 2015 01:33

Maybe we should all try to re-write the lyrics smiling smiley something like "I Will Love You If You Love Me" ....................

Is it possible to write a song all together on a forum..........

"I Will Love You If You Love Me"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 29, 2015 02:20

NICOS
Maybe we should all try to re-write the lyrics smiling smiley something like "I Will Love You If You Love Me" ....................

Great idea NICOS, but if you want my participation you're going to have to start with better music. It's just a bit to sappy for my tastes.... smoking smiley
peace

Date: January 29, 2015 03:53

NICOS

Maybe we could get a bit racier...borrow from AC/DC.

"Let Me Put My Love Into You Girl"

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 29, 2015 05:41

The cartoon is less worse than the Rolling Stones version.

For the piano clip, quite nice. Seriously, they should have just released it as an instrumental track on the album. Then we would never have had the painful lyrics and the painful vocals to corrupt what turned out to be a quite nice melody as shown by the piano.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 29, 2015 08:08

treaclefingers

Maybe we could get a bit racier...borrow from AC/DC.

"Let Me Put My Love Into You Girl"

Let me cut your cake with my knifecool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2015 08:26

I need a little sugar in my bowl
I need a little hot dog between my rolls
You gettin' different, I've been told
Move your finger, drop something in my bowl

I need a little steam-heat on my floor
Maybe I can fix things up, so they'll go
Get off your knees, I can't see what you're drivin' at
It's dark down there looks like a snake!
C'mon here and drop somethin' here in my bowl
Stop your foolin' and drop somethin' in my bowl

.............................. Bessie Smith - Need a Little Sugar in My Bowl

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 29, 2015 08:58

Brilliant song (and lyrics) as always..even in this version thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: January 29, 2015 10:35

I don't think the song is "bad. There is no absolute 'bad song'. I think it's the fact that it's "our" Stones releasing it asd 70 year olds in this day and age. We love "As Years Go By" or "Tell Me", both very sappy love songs. But written by 20 year olds they have a different charm. had ATGB appeard on Bigger Bang it would have received scathing remarks.
Another point: the Stones mad ematters only worse for this song by not pushing it on stage. The Stones are masters at re-developing a song on stage. they could have given this number a whole new identity. ust about evryone who saw this song at it's rare live appearances stated that it was the high;ight of the show.

Date: January 29, 2015 10:52

Very good points, but some of the "realness" is also peeled off of SOL, compared to, say, As Tears Go By, Lady Jane or Play With Fire.

The use of instruments, the sincerity in Mick's singing and the overall young charm make it impossible to even try to compare those songs with SOL, imo.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 29, 2015 10:53

Great observation Palace Revolution 2000. I loved this song in concert. And it sounds great from Rome last year. On the other hand I wouldn't skip over other songs on ABB to play it. Sometimes I wonder who's driving the car, so to speak.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 29, 2015 13:20

Come On
Brilliant song (and lyrics) as always..even in this version thumbs up

thumbs up +1 smileys with beer

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 29, 2015 14:03

To be honest, I hardly ever listen to ABB, but I saw them play Streets of Love in Paris and it was one of the highlights of the show and a real breath of fresh air amongst the warhorses.

Date: January 29, 2015 16:19

teleblaster
To be honest, I hardly ever listen to ABB, but I saw them play Streets of Love in Paris and it was one of the highlights of the show and a real breath of fresh air amongst the warhorses.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it in concert as well, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I'd welcome almost any 'new' song onstage from their back catalogue.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: January 29, 2015 16:51

In Rome it sounds very beautiful! Crowd went crazy!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 29, 2015 19:02

treaclefingers
teleblaster

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it in concert as well, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I'd welcome almost any 'new' song onstage from their back catalogue.

I take your point, but I found it genuinely stunning live - one of the best Jagger performances I've ever heard.

Date: February 1, 2015 11:12

treaclefingers
teleblaster

true teacle, but (to my surprise) it was truly a good number on live stage. Much...better. Not so sure what it was; vocals were bigger, and there was no guitar solo

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:06

The song sounds much better live. Especially Ronnie's parts.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:13

Everyone who likes Hard Woman and Old Habits Die Hard CANNOT DISLIKE Streets of Love.

Date: February 1, 2015 13:22

JJHMick
Everyone who likes Hard Woman and Old Habits Die Hard CANNOT DISLIKE Streets of Love.

...Or Angie, for that matter.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:39

RoughJusticeOnYa
JJHMick

Does that mean that if one likes one ballad one needs to like all ballads...?

In my opinion, "Angie" belongs to very different category than any of those other songs mentioned... A bit like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" compared to "Fight"...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 13:40 by Doxa.

Date: February 1, 2015 14:00

Doxa
RoughJusticeOnYa
JJHMick

In my opinion, "Angie" belongs to very different category than any of those other songs mentioned... A bit like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" compared to "Fight"...

- Doxa

No; I did not mean that.

I just meant that Angie - at least to me - is as cheesy & sugaree & 'etcetera' as Streets of Love; both with a compelling melody, and an overal rather oversentimental but appealing sound & atmosphere, nevertheless.

Whereas Angie was released at (one of) the band's all-time high(-s), getting a fair bit of stick from both fans ànd critics in those days, if I remember correctly, it skyrocketed, and became a worldwide crowd pleaser; even attracting new audiences for the band. And thus & therefore, it became generally accepted - and after a while: even (critically) acclaimed. Those were the days... The Stones have no such power anymore; as far as 'new' songs are concerned. People will listend politely; and 'fans' will bash everything that's good about it.

But all that doesn't takeanything away from two facts in my book (***DISCLAIMER***: I clearly said 'in my book'...):

(1) SOL is a great, seductive ballad - nothing, more, and certainly nothing less;
(2) Angie is in exactly the same league - neither worse nor better; nothing more, nothing less.

"JJF" vs. "Fight", however ... Ah, no - way to early to start the day with that one. smoking smiley

Date: February 1, 2015 14:19

Fair enough, RoughJusticeOnYa, I wasn't that serious...grinning smiley

In my book, those songs belong to a different league, the other being as close to perfection as one could get in material like that, while teh other leaves much to desire... And this despite the context they derive from (one being a constitutional song for Stones legacy, while the other, well, something else...)

But the world would have been much more boring place if we all would read - or write - the same books....smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 14:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 1, 2015 14:20

Doxa
RoughJusticeOnYa
JJHMick

- Doxa

There are different kinds of ballads written by Mick. I hear a relationship in Streets of Love, Hard Woman and Old Habits Die Hard in the way Mick sings them. Out of Tears also belongs in here.
I'm sure you can find similar chord changes too. There's also a similar change odf 'drama' from verse to chorus, isn't it?
Angie has complete sentences, the others more or less brief phrases. As far as I know the music of Angie was done by Keith anyway.

Date: February 1, 2015 14:42

JJHMick
Doxa
RoughJusticeOnYa
JJHMick

- Doxa

There are different kinds of ballads written by Mick. I hear a relationship in Streets of Love, Hard Woman and Old Habits Die Hard in the way Mick sings them. Out of Tears also belongs in here.
I'm sure you can find similar chord changes too. There's also a similar change odf 'drama' from verse to chorus, isn't it?
Angie has complete sentences, the others more or less brief phrases. As far as I know the music of Angie was done by Keith anyway.

Very good observations. I think we should not underestimate Keith's contribution in "Angie". It is the natural melodic sense, with, yeah, complete sentences going along with the 'natural' flow of melody (and that wonderful chord sequence), we still there can hear as we earlier had heard in, say, "As Tears Go By" and "Ruby Tuesday" (unfortunately Keith also seem to lost that ability later). Mick's latter day ballads, starting probably in "Out of Tears" just don't 'flow' so naturally, and are typically, like you said, made of brief phrases, and also of rather schematic melodic ideas. To my ears they tend to sound a bit artificial or thin.

"Angie" is to me a perfect product of the traditional Glimmer Twins teamwork at its best - Keith giving the base, the feel and the clues, Mick continuing there and driving the song into perfection.

Anyway, that said, I still remeber when VOODOO LOUNGE was released, and its 'retro' nature quickly recognized. "Out of Tears" was seen as a modern day equavalent to "Angie", representing that era or style, Mick rediscovering that vulnerable voice again. Could be. but there are considerable differencies.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 14:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 1, 2015 14:43

Even the parody makes one nauseous.

Date: February 1, 2015 14:46

Doxa
Fair enough, RoughJusticeOnYa, I wasn't that serious...grinning smiley

- Doxa

...The ***DISCLAIMER***-part was meant for 'the other people' who were gonna take it too seriously, Doxa... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home