Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some Interesting TWFNO Cover Versions
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 06:24

I like the tone of the guitar player of Widespread Panic, so they get my vote, as for the Hollywood Stones, solo OK but the Mick Jagger impersonator needs some work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-21 06:43 by lapaz62.

Re: Some Interesting TWFNO Cover Versions
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 12:32

They all sound BAD and totally wrong! Just awful.

I'll give them credits for trying, but please... let's all keep away from the original!!

Nothing beats the original. Period.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 13:19

Some nice covers - I suppose there are two types of cover, the imitators who try and 'be' the Stones. They have their place promoting the music in a live setting and can earn a few bob in the process. And the others are the bands who just pick up the song and give it a whirl. The latter always being the more interesting. After all it won't be long before this will be the only way to hear the Stones music live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-21 13:41 by rumple21.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 21, 2015 13:20

Here's the most interesting of all, by Mick Taylor himself with a little help from singer Erwin Nijhoff, from 2001 acoustic sessions done for a Dutch radio show (Radio 192 in Hilersum, Holland).

And here's one of Nijhoff himself live from Rotterdam in 2012.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 14:08

And this one counts as a cover I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-21 14:09 by lapaz62.

Date: January 21, 2015 14:36

None of these bands in the videos have even bothered to learn the proper chords or riffs/licks in the song (before the solo), including Taylor...

I thought Omoreka at least had something going, and treated the song with respect.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: January 21, 2015 20:45

DandelionPowderman
I thought Omoreka at least had something going, and treated the song with respect.

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2015 21:17

Wow, that acoustic version by Taylor (plus Nijhoff whoever he is) sounded beautiful. Never heard that before. Nice to hear Taylor doing that kind of delicated, smooth stuff by acoustic. The usual complaint of him 'over-playing' does not hold court here, every note tastefully worked out...

- Doxa

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 21, 2015 22:33

kait
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

Yeah, for my taste Omoreka is clearly the best version, it has a nice flow, is not simply a copy of the orginal, but still close enough to maintain the song's identity. Nice sound, too. Taylor-Nijhoff comes a close second, but is dragging a bit because it's too long for an acoustic version.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 21, 2015 22:56

Doxa
Wow, that acoustic version by Taylor (plus Nijhoff whoever he is) sounded beautiful. Never heard that before. Nice to hear Taylor doing that kind of delicated, smooth stuff by acoustic. The usual complaint of him 'over-playing' does not hold court here, every note tastefully worked out...

- Doxa

Doxa, did you ever hear these acoustic versions/snippets of Stones song by Taylor and Nijhoff (rehearsal)?

1. 0:00 Sister Morphine; 2. 1:35 No Expectations; 3. 5:45 I Got The Blues; 4. 8:34 Dead Flowers

1. 0:00: Dead Flowers; 2. 3:40 Time Waits For No One

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 21, 2015 22:59

Indeed a great version as Doxa mentioned, song reaches an other dimension.....thanks for posting Stonehearted.....

Would love to hear the Stones doing this...... think Keith on vocal will do well...actually some parts sounded like Keith

[www.youtube.com]

I really don't know why video don't show up ...I removed the s

Date: January 21, 2015 23:02

Great Kleermaker never heard them before...............

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 21, 2015 23:07

that acoustic version - beautiful

thanks for posting that, Stonehearted.

Date: January 21, 2015 23:15

Yesterday I saw on the Historical Veronica (192 goed idee) website [www.norderney192.nl] that the have tons of programs that they are digilize...there is also a night pogram recorded with Leon Russel live from '69.............

Nog een voorbeeld; ik ben een grote fan van de Amerikaanse muzikant Leon Russell. Leon schreef samen met Joe Cocker de wereldhit "Delta Lady". Hij was op 12 februari 1969 in de Veronica studio en Ad Bouman samen met Will Luikinga maakten met Leon een nachtprogramma en in die studio stond een piano die nog nooit gestemd was. Maar toch ging deze wereldster zitten en speelde, op het eind uitroepend; "how about this piano man?"! Die band zit dus ook in het archief. En ook de jingle sessie van Ad met Beach Boy Bruce Johnston is in z’n volle lengte bewaard gebleven.

Maar ook veel ruwe werkbanden die doorliepen tijdens het maken van spots en jingles. Want het is toch prachtig om te horen hoe de Flying Burrito Brothers met zanger Gram Parsons (afkomstig uit The Byrds) olv Lex Harding en Ad Bouman jingles maken. Uit het archief van Lex Harding kwamen veel Beatle shows en een mooie special met Alice Cooper.
Sieb Kroeske had veel Lexjo’s en ABTT’s in z’n archief. Hij had stiekem een aantal originele banden terwijl Ad en Juul het jarenlang moesten doen met kopieën! Dus recentelijk zijn die kopieën gewist en vervangen door de originele tapes.

Date: January 22, 2015 09:39

Thanks, Kleerie, for those clips! I wasn't familiar at all with that stuff. Of course, bascially just rehearsing, warming up etc. but still interesting to hear.smileys with beer

Taylor is one of those guitarists that it is always fascinating to listen; what he will do next is like a little thrill all the time; he has the ability to keep listeners - at least me - excited. There is nothing extraordinarity - except him playing acoustic so much - on those rehearsals, but that doesn't mind. Still a joy to listen.

- Doxa

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: January 24, 2015 18:47

I can't imagine how watered down it would sound if the Stones tried to do TWFNO now..

Date: January 25, 2015 01:09

Probably as watered down as when Taylor himself is covering the song.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 25, 2015 03:00

I like Taylor's versions. If you don't, why do you have to throw negative comments out all the time? We get it, you don't like Taylor, move along.

Date: January 25, 2015 03:03

You don't know what you're talking about. Very few like Taylor more than I do. High skills, high demands.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 25, 2015 17:20

to paraphrase Jagger...everything aw'right in the critics section"?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 25, 2015 17:45

vincentwhirlwind
I can't imagine how watered down it would sound if the Stones tried to do TWFNO now..

TravelinMan
I like Taylor's versions. If you don't, why do you have to throw negative comments out all the time? We get it, you don't like Taylor, move along.

...And several of us like the Stones as they are (& sound) nów.
If some of you don't, why do you have to throw negative comments out all the time - even before a single note is played?
We get it, you don't like contemporary Stones, move along.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 25, 2015 20:23

I like the Stones as they currently are as well, not sure why you quoted me. Taylor's versions seem spontaneous, what some fans like about the Stones, and I totally disagree with them being watered down. If there is a song on youtube or a bootleg where Taylor plays sloppy, he never gets a pass and is lampooned. Meanwhile, the other Stones' guitarists are praised for this; thus being their style and why the band works. The fact remains: Taylor was, and always will be a Rolling Stone whether or not people think his "style" fit-in. Obviously, the powers that be disagree with those naysayers.

I think it would be awesome if they they worked up a version and played with Taylor. Although the song is probably a scary reminder that they are on their last leg. Could they pull it off without seeming contrived or melancholic? I don't know, but I would love to hear it!

Date: January 26, 2015 15:22

TravelinMan
I like the Stones as they currently are as well, not sure why you quoted me. Taylor's versions seem spontaneous, what some fans like about the Stones, and I totally disagree with them being watered down. If there is a song on youtube or a bootleg where Taylor plays sloppy, he never gets a pass and is lampooned. Meanwhile, the other Stones' guitarists are praised for this; thus being their style and why the band works. The fact remains: Taylor was, and always will be a Rolling Stone whether or not people think his "style" fit-in. Obviously, the powers that be disagree with those naysayers.

I think it would be awesome if they they worked up a version and played with Taylor. Although the song is probably a scary reminder that they are on their last leg. Could they pull it off without seeming contrived or melancholic? I don't know, but I would love to hear it!

My point was, neither Taylor or the Stones are what they once were. People evolve, for better or worse.

Constantly skipping an important part of TWFNO, which Keith played (and probably wrote) seems more calculating than spontaneous to me, btw.

I think what you find spontaneous is Taylor's searching and exploring guitar playing (and I don't disagree with that). But to say that the wholeness of the Taylor live versions of TWFNO isn't a watered down version of the original baffles me a bit.

Then again, people like different things. But you're totally off the mark saying that I don't like Taylor. I do, however, have different expectations when I listen to him than that of Keith and Ronnie - since they've based their guitar playing on a totally different approach. Taylor is an expressionist, who needs space. Keith and Ronnie are into short licks thrown back and forth.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 26, 2015 15:41

But what's wrong with Taylor's playing here DP; does he have to stick to Keith's
score? Taylor plays the same chords, but unlike Keith and Taylor on the original with guitar overdubs, in different positions. Consider that Taylor is the only guitarist here, so he has to make some decisions. Nothing beats the original though.

Date: January 26, 2015 15:50

LuxuryStones
But what's wrong with Taylor's playing here DP; does he have to stick to Keith's
score? Taylor plays the same chords, but unlike Keith and Taylor on the original with guitar overdubs, in different positions. Consider that Taylor is the only guitarist here, so he has to make some decisions. Nothing beats the original though.

Nothing is wrong with his playing (like I said). I don't like that he's not playing the riff after the intro, but that's me.

However, the total experience (the song) sounds watered down, compared to the original. This song is a bit dead without the vocals and the dynamics.

Instrumental passages and the guitar playing sounds very good at times, though, but to me that's bits and pieces, and not the whole song to me.

There's always something to enjoy with Taylor, but in this case a poster wondered how watered down a Stones version of this would be. And it would indeed have been watered down, but perhaps for different reasons.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 26, 2015 18:30

I don't know what you all have with this horrible dated song. It reeks of 70's prog-rock.
Give me F-File instead! thumbs up

Date: January 26, 2015 20:38

DandelionPowderman

Constantly skipping an important part of TWFNO, which Keith played (and probably wrote) seems more calculating than spontaneous to me, btw.

What's that "important part"?

- Doxa

Date: January 26, 2015 21:37

The riff and solo after the intro.

0:20-0:37 on the album version + all the choruses.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-26 21:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 27, 2015 09:07

DandelionPowderman

Oh that part, which actually is the same part as repeated in chorus. In that acoustic version he does that. Seemingly he has skipped that in his 'normal' live performances, but to me that is just an arrangement idea - a bit like the Stones do with "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by not playing the actual intro chords.

- Doxa

Date: January 27, 2015 11:56

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Oh that part, which actually is the same part as repeated in chorus. In that acoustic version he does that. Seemingly he has skipped that in his 'normal' live performances, but to me that is just an arrangement idea - a bit like the Stones do with "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by not playing the actual intro chords.

- Doxa

Only the chords and some other licks.

Yeah, it probably is. But imo that melody sets the mood for the song. It's incredibly beautiful.

Taylor should do that part if they play it. I doubt Keith would bother playing that melodic riff again.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home