Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wembley Stadium’s 25 Greatest - Vote for the Stones!
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 6, 2011 20:51

Vote for the Stones!

This is the press release...

Bjornulf

-----

MUSIC ROYALTY GO HEAD TO HEAD IN WEMBLEY SHOWDOWN

Wembley Stadium’s 25 Greatest Events battle for fan votes

[greatestevent.wembleystadium.com]

5th May 2011: Wembley Stadium has announced plans to host its biggest ever battle as 25 legendary music and sporting events go head to head to be crowned the stadium’s ‘greatest ever’. In the ultimate clash of the titans rock n’ roll royalty in the form of Queen, the Rolling Stones and Foo Fighters find themselves up against footballing legends Stuart Pearce and Geoff Hurst with wildcards Evel Knievel and Martin Offiah battling for fan votes and the coveted title.

Playing back to back gigs at Wembley in 2008, Dave Grohl overwhelmed with emotion told Foo Fighters fans on the last night that it was “the greatest day of his life” and felt as if he had 86,000 backing singers performing with him. No stranger to getting the best out of the Wembley crowd Queen and the late Freddie Mercury have also been shortlisted for their outstanding performances at Wembley in 1986 and 1985 as part of Live Aid which has arguably been remembered as the most iconic moment in music history.

Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood commenting on his experiences of playing Wembley said: “I remember playing in 1976 and 1990, it’s just incredible playing to the Wembley crowd. We’ve played at some great stadiums around the world including the River Plate Stadium in South America where the fans go crazy, but there’s nothing like playing in front of your home fans and also being able to pick out friends and family. Wembley Stadium is just a killer.”

On the shortlist revealed today there are some outstanding contenders for the title which will be decided online at www.wembleystadium.com/greatestevent. From Muse and Take That headlining at the home of football to the late Henry Cooper knocking down a young Cassius Clay; Michael Jackson’s breathtaking ‘Bad’ tour; and Evel Knievel’s dare devil attempt to jump the length of 13 buses, Wembley Stadium has witnessed it all and now fans must log on to register their vote if their favourite is to stand a chance of winning.

The shortlist has been brought to life online where fans can see photos and footage event as well as accessing exclusive interviews from some of the people who took centre stage. The winning event will receive a dedicated installation within the ground ensuring that it always has a place in Wembley’s rich history and fans’ hearts.

Everyone who votes and signs up online for the Wembley newsletter will be rewarded with a kids go free offer on the Wembley Stadium Tour allowing them to see where their magical moment happened. One lucky winner will also receive a memorable day at Wembley Stadium when they enjoy exclusive access to a Club Wembley VIP box for 20 people to watch England take on World Cup finalists Holland this August.

Take That’s spectacular Circus tour is also available for fans to enjoy online and the band plan to cause a similar stir when they return this summer as a five piece. Gary Barlow said: “When you’re giving a performance on stage, Wembley Stadium offers such an amazing atmosphere; having the crowd surrounding you on the stage is incredible. We’re all looking forward to our eight shows there again this summer.”

The Wembley Greatest Event vote kicks off another massive summer of entertainment which includes the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup Final and the sold out Take That Progress Live tour.

[greatestevent.wembleystadium.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 21:06 by bv.

Re: Wembley Stadium’s 25 Greatest - Vote for the Stones!
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2011 20:58

Done deal

I find Rolling Stones concerts at Wembley 1982 as well as Dylan in 1984 to be superior, though.

Wonder if this "survey" is thinking about the June 1990 concers in London, or the August 1990 ones.....they probably don't know the difference.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 6, 2011 21:08

Is the Wembley Hammer informed??

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 6, 2011 21:13

The Rolling Stones have played 12 shows at Wembley Stadium. Two in 1982. Five in 1990. Three in 1995 and two in 1999. Believe it or not, I have been to all twelve, and I would not have missed any of them. In fact, when I saw them at their first show in 1982, I decided I had to see them again and again and again and again! When they played the hymn "Land Of Hope And Glory" as the show was over, and I walked out of the stadium, I knew I had to follow them for the rest of my life. At Wembley Stadium as well as in UK and all over...

The Wembley organization picked the 1990 shows for this contest. A nice pick. I was in UK for 3 weeks in the sommer to follow 10 Stones shows. Two of those got delayed but they did the delayed shows in August, last two shows with Bill Wyman on Bass with the Stones live on stage. Great tour, great days!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 21:14 by bv.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 6, 2011 21:30

Vote done. Great for you BV to have had the luck to attend the 12 shows.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:06

Bravo BV, bravo!

CBII

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:15

Vote done here too!!!!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:15

Done!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:24

Vote cast for the Stones but that was a close one with the Arsenal 3-2 victory over Man Utd in 1979 FA Cup final being there................................ Ron Wood remembers playing there in 1976..1990, but not '82, '95 & '99 ....Hmmmmm........lucky he's not trying to head up a political party

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 22:29 by EddieByword.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: May 6, 2011 23:36

Stones 1982
England - Holland 0-2 (1977)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 6, 2011 23:47

The 1966 World Cup final will win this poll by a mile. As it should (even tho' I'm not English).

The highest polling musical event would almost certainly be Live Aid.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 7, 2011 00:29

Gazza
The 1966 World Cup final will win this poll by a mile. As it should (even tho' I'm not English).

As it should be probably

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 7, 2011 01:15

You having a Laugh

best gig ever at Wembley England V Scotland 1967
England newly crowned World Cup winners 1966 first game against Scotland at Wembley

England 2 v Scotland 3 Scotland now self proclaimed world Champions

Or How about 1977 if your having a vote on Wembley well after 1977 almost all of Wembley ended up in Scotland.

On a more serious note Wembley Stones 82 was great first night and then saw them onlast night of Voodoo Lounge 16 July 1995 Great !! always felt they were up for the Wembley Shows.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2011 01:57

Tonstone
Or How about 1977 if your having a vote on Wembley well after 1977 almost all of Wembley ended up in Scotland.

..and vice versa. Most iconic pitch invasion ever. How the hell did Scotland fans manage to get about 70,000 tickets out of 100,000 that day?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 7, 2011 02:08

Click ---- BANG

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 7, 2011 03:49

Gazza

I completely agree about the 1966 World Cup final.
Second place should be the first FA Cup final ever played at Wembley in 1923. Perhaps as many as 300 000 was inside the stadium. If it hadn't been for the policeman on the white horse no match would have been played that day. Very surprised it was not even on the list of Wembley's 25 greatest events, especially while considering the fact that the legendary 1923 FA cup final was the very first event at the most famous stadium in the world.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 7, 2011 06:25

voted for the stones even though there is no shot in heck

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 7, 2011 09:15

voted for the stones

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: May 7, 2011 11:09

vote done.
my first wembley experience was pinkfloyd, the wall tour, in august 1980

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: May 7, 2011 12:36

thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 7, 2011 12:59

Despite being absolutely sick of the 1966 World Cup and all those who bleat on about it, as an Englishman, I felt it had to have my vote. It's our only bloody national achievement since 1945. Depressing.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 7, 2011 13:39

Gazza
Tonstone

..and vice versa. Most iconic pitch invasion ever. How the hell did Scotland fans manage to get about 70,000 tickets out of 100,000 that day?

Certainly one of the most memorable occasions. It's not going to get in the top 25 though (unless there is a viral campaign in Scotland).

There was an advert on TV after this that had two blokes discussing future England v Scotland fixtures... one said something like "in future they should issue each Scotland fan a set of goalposts before the game so they won't want steal the ones on the pitch" and the other bloke thought seriously about it and said "but that would be an administrative nightmare".

I like to use the term "administrative nightmare" occasionally with this event in mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 13:40 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 14:08

Voted. The Stones are always the greatest event.>grinning smiley<

Date: May 7, 2011 16:55

Vote done. Hope they win.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:40

World Cup Final will win this. Stones will come 3rd in the Music category after Live Aid and Queen. (But I voted for them anyway...)

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 7, 2011 23:14

llargueras
vote done.

You must have been seriously stoned then, mate, because in August 1980 they played The Wall at Earls Court - indoors, a third of the capacity, and several miles west of Wembley. grinning smiley

Floyd first played Wembley Stadium on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour in August 1988.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 8, 2011 01:18

Nikolai
llargueras
vote done.

You must have been seriously stoned then, mate, because in August 1980 they played The Wall at Earls Court - indoors, a third of the capacity, and several miles west of Wembley. grinning smiley

Floyd first played Wembley Stadium on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour in August 1988.

As Ron Wood must have been either then or now or both probaly with these memories.........>>>>>>>>>> Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood commenting on his experiences of playing Wembley said: “I remember playing in 1976 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 8, 2011 04:58

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-08 05:15 by No Expectations.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2011 06:23

I voted stones, but a lot of very memorable events....they are in tough.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: May 10, 2011 00:15

Done.

......but I did not sign up. I don't want to go to a football-match. Please give me a new Stones-show at Wembley!

Per-Arne

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home