Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Elvis Costello & The Imposters at Sheffield City Hall, Saturday 8th June 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:13

Hello,

Seeing as how I was cycling 80 miles to get to see E.C. I was rather hoping that he would turn in a terrific performance in keeping with every other review that I've read of this continuation of the 'Revolver' tour that I saw and loved last year. Big change for 2013: this year's model is called 'The Spectacular Spinning Songbook'!

Right, I'll cut to the chase: this was a special show and for the life of me I cannot recall the set-list. What I do know is that the band floored us with a four or five songs right off the bat before Elvis got his first punter onstage to choose a tune. This was where the genius of the slightly random selection worked again...we got 'Shipbuilding' which was dedicated to Mr Wyatt for obvious reason.

The change in mood and tempo was extraordinary and by when the song ended you could tell how much it meant to Elvis to have delivered a real performance of it as he yelped off-mike and punched the air. Powerful stuff.

The band sounded terrific and were able to cope with anything thrown at them. Good job too considering the rather short-notice that they had for some of the numbers, hah-hah! Elvis was in fine voice and he seems to love playing the ringmaster/vaudeville character complete with top-hat and cane. Despite him saying that all the songs on the wheel were "@#$%& miserable" (with a smile) he made sure that we laughed a lot.

There's probably (read: definitely) a load of pertinent comment that I have omitted but I can't imagine anyone not loving those 2 1/2 hours. As the bloke behind me said to his other half,"...that was the best £40 that I've spent...ever!". He wasn't too far off the mark.

If you're gonna suffer these vids then try HD for a slightly-less ropey viewing experience!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

and a bonus pic of a my arm as I huffed & puffed up the A57...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 00:41 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Elvis Costello & The Imposters at Sheffield City Hall, Saturday 8th June 2013
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:30

Some of your best pix in ages there Simon. Got a new camera?

Re: O/T Elvis Costello & The Imposters at Sheffield City Hall, Saturday 8th June 2013
Date: June 10, 2013 21:37

Hi Mike,

Nah, the same Panasonic FZ38 but I tried some more different settings i.e. pissed about with the shutter speed, ISO and EV until I got something half-way reasonable, hah-hah!
The show that I am sweating about is The Who at Manchester...I will never be in a better position to get them, but do I really want to be taking photos? Who am I kidding...I can't help myself!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:45

Nice review Simon,and you certainly go to some lengths to see a gig you hope will be a good one.
So glad it was,and I'm sure it was for everyone else who has seen him and his band on this tour.
I found his gig at RAH,spellbinding,fun and thoroughly enjoyable and gratifying to know I have seen the best gig for me this year.
Elvis will get some more fans after Glastonbury,Hyde Park and the rest of the tour.
A great entertainer. winking smiley

Date: June 10, 2013 22:18

Just seen your videos and the gig reminds me of my first Elvis gig last week.
Very good quality and great story behind Dad and his daughter at the show.
Spontaneous is the thing with an Elvis show,and if only our lads,The Rolling Stones could give us that.
That is Elvis and his bands outstanding quality as well as the never ending song list. smileys with beer

Date: June 10, 2013 22:24

Hi Tony,

You're only right: I was loathe to highlight the difference in the two bands' approaches but it does make me think of what Mick & Keith could be doing.
Alright, maybe a go-go dancer is pushing it a bit but you know what I mean, hah-hah!

I've got one more vid to go but Virgin BB isn't exactly lightning at the mo'...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:48

But the important part: Did you enjoy the go-go thrashings of Dixie De la Fontaine? I saw the three RAH shows, but really missed katerina Valentina Valentine, the hostess for the last two years.

Elvis & The Imposters not only did stuff from the wheel, they did songs people requested that were not even on the wheel, like "Human Hands" (NOT an easy song to "wing it" on!). It would be like the Stones doing "Backstreet Girl" because someone came on stage and asked for it.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 10, 2013 23:59

Great review. Will be seeing them at Glasto, hoping he keeps the Vaudeville thing going that looks cool. Love the photos too.

Date: June 11, 2013 00:41

Hi 71Tele & CM,

In a purely artistic sense, I *did* enjoy Ms De La Fontaine's moves, hah-hah! It's only when you see folks who really can dance that you realise how tragic the rest of us look!
Final vid ahoy...

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: June 11, 2013 16:49

Just seen your last video Simon.
Great stuff and reminded me of finale on last night Albert Hall.

Pump it Up was one of maybe up to half dozen Elvis just rattled of one after another for a great climax to the gig. smileys with beer

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 13:16

Elvis is doing another round of concerts, he is in Brum on May the 31st.

really enjoyed his concert the last time and well worth going to see.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 8, 2014 16:59

Alas, the Fabulous Spinning Songbook has been retired (only temporarily, we hope) but EC and the band are still smoking hot, as evidenced from their Bumbershoot festival show in Seattle this past September.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home