Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The 45th anniversary of a classic rock moment: The Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden
Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: November 23, 2014 22:07

Excellent article in today's NY Daily News - paper and online edition.

Jagger and Taylor on stage, November 28th, 1969 - Photo: Walter Iooss Jr/Getty Images

The 45th anniversary of a classic rock moment: The Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden
The 1969 shows at the Garden were a high point for the band, produced the classic album 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' and helped push rock concerts into a new era

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS- Sunday, November 23, 2014, 2:00 AM

Last night, the Rolling Stones were scheduled to wrap a world tour that brought them to 21 countries in 10 months. As with all the band’s road shows of the last quarter century, the bulk of the material planned for Saturday’s concert in Auckland, New Zealand, dated from the ’60s and ’70s. Meaning nostalgia provided the draw and reverence ruled.
That’s been true at Rolling Stones shows for so long, it’s hard to remember that this family-friendly group of preservationists used to be seen as satanic revolutionaries, hell-bent on shredding every aspect of the social and moral order.

This week, we’ve got an ideal excuse to recall all that.
Thursday and Friday mark 45 years since the Stones gave a series of shows at Madison Square Garden that hold a towering place in the history of both music and New York culture. The concerts presented the Stones at the pinnacle of their beauty and threat. They also yielded one of the greatest live albums of all time, “Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out,” released in 1970. More, they helped usher in a new era of rock staging and scale.

The Stones that invaded New York in the fall of 1969 bore no relation, either physically or sonically, to the band that had last played America three summers before. They couldn’t appear in the U.S. from 1966 until the decade’s close because of visa problems caused by the drug arrests of three of the band’s members — Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Brian Jones.

Jones died of “misadventure” in July of ’69, shortly after being replaced by Mick Taylor. The latter guitarist, just 20 at the time, was making his New York debut at the November MSG shows. And what a debut it was.

Taylor remains the most expansive, and fleet-fingered, guitarist the Stones have ever had. And never have his skills been more faithfully recorded than on “Ya-Ya's.” His long solo on “Sympathy for the Devil” ideally balances exploration with fire. He’s just as revelatory in the terse breaks and licks in songs like the opener, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” or “Honky Tonk Women” (a single that ruled the summer of ’69).

The view from the stage

Together, the band’s fierce work ranks “Ya-Ya's” with the greatest concert albums ever cut in New York, including James Brown’s “Live at the Apollo” in ’63 and the Allman Brothers’ “At Fillmore East” from ’71.
Then-new Stones’ songs, like the rape fantasy “Midnight Rambler” and the call to arms “Street Fighting Man,” moved far beyond the pop-friendly singles of the band’s ’66 tour, like “Get Off of My Cloud” and “Paint It Black.” They shot the Stones’ original bad-boy persona to the sky.

A deluxe version of “Ya-Ya's” adds five songs from the shows to the mix. It also features parts of the opening sets from B.B. King and Ike and Tina Turner.
From Turner, Jagger learned many of the dance moves you can witness in the deluxe set’s DVD component. The DVD lets fans bask in the Stones’ cool new look, which found them with longer hair, sunken cheekbones and a satiny take on the devil by Jagger.

The shows also came at a pivotal time for the Garden. The hall had just opened at 33rd St. and Seventh Ave. in 1968. The Stones were one of the first rock acts to play there, following bands like Cream and The Doors.

1969 became a transitional year for rock concerts in general. After Woodstock, which took place in August, promoters saw the scope of the audience and started to think big. The days of rock theaters, like the Fillmore, were numbered. Arenas became the new headliner norm, to be followed in the mid-’70s by — shudder — stadiums. The Stones’ debut at the Garden helped escalate the expectations of scale for live rock.

Six days after the Stones’ shows at the Garden, they headlined a horrific event at Altamont Speedway outside of San Francisco. Four people would die there and, some thought, the Woodstock dream died with them. Of course, all that truly ended was an idealized view of youth culture. The music itself lived on — long enough to make this coming anniversary well worth celebrating.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

[nydn.us]

Re: The 45th anniversary of a classic rock moment: The Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden
Posted by: slakka ()
Date: November 24, 2014 05:55

Wow The Daily Snooze stock just soared!!

Re: The 45th anniversary of a classic rock moment: The Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2014 06:41

Mick Taylor's solo on SFTD? I thought it was Keith. And wasn't part of Ya Yas from Baltimore?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 24, 2014 06:59

Not much news there for most Stone's fans, could have been a single sentence in the 45 Years Ago today section: The Stones played Madison Square Garden. peace

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 24, 2014 08:16

24FPS
Mick Taylor's solo on SFTD? I thought it was Keith. And wasn't part of Ya Yas from Baltimore?

Richards plays one and then Taylor plays a longer one.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:13

Any chance one day the entire footage shot at the garden for Gimme Shelter could be released?
What a release from the vault that would be!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 24, 2014 18:15

mikesnaps
Any chance one day the entire footage shot at the garden for Gimme Shelter could be released?

Here, here! A full pro shot video release of any 1969 MSG shows, Baltimore, Boston, in their entirety , you name it would be "the Grail" for Stones fans in Blu Ray quality with a remastered soundtrack. Maysles probably have it. All we have is bits, but those are still wonderful to watch. I hold out hope we will get this before we are blind and or deaf from old age.

Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: November 24, 2014 18:46

TravelinMan
24FPS

Richards plays one and then Taylor plays a longer one.

The first part of the solo, the very best one if you ask me, is played by Keith.
Then comes MT with a more technical approach.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 24, 2014 18:58

Th article provides nothing new although the 45 year anniversary acknowledgement is sincere. But why 45? Society is now making every 5 -10 years an historical memorial event.

On the positive side those are some damn good pics. I do not know if Rockman has already posted subject pics- If so - respects-

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 19:12

This cuts to the quick:

"... it’s hard to remember that this family-friendly group of preservationists used to be seen as satanic revolutionaries, hell-bent on shredding every aspect of the social and moral order."

Ouch!

Those were the days, alas. And, yes, an official video release of any of the following from Nov 69 would be the sine qua non of Stones matter for me: Detroit, Baltimore, NYC.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 24, 2014 19:14

LongBeachArena72
This cuts to the quick:

"... it’s hard to remember that this family-friendly group of preservationists used to be seen as satanic revolutionaries, hell-bent on shredding every aspect of the social and moral order."

Ouch!

Those were the days, alas. And, yes, an official video release of any of the following from Nov 69 would be the sine qua non of Stones matter for me: Detroit, Baltimore, NYC.

Can we vote to make it happen??

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 19:31

mikesnaps

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

45 years ago today...November 27 , 1969
Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 18:07

Just to remember one of their best shows at the Madison square garden on the November 27, 1969

Re: 45 years ago today...November 27 , 1969
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 18:50

When I saw today's date while reading the morning paper I thought the same thing. The night before the band gave us the Hey Jude Sympathy and Taylor delivered his classic solo on LIV. The Nov. 27 show is memorialized in a wonderful recording notable for the UMT-I'm Free medley. The performance of UMT is very tasty. The latter song contains Taylor's beautiful 20 second solo that really breaks new ground for the band. I think this wonderful performance (overdubbed or not) is from the 27th as well:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 27, 2014 19:20

For those who might be interested, yesterday night I've played some live tracks selected from the three 1969 Madison Square Garden concerts on a radioshow I'm hosting on a webradio, and filled it with Gimme Shelter (from Oakland) and some Altamont tracks. smiling smiley

[www.mixcloud.com]

Date: November 27, 2014 20:43

Nice, CR! I hope your listeners enjoyed that. Even after so many years I think those performances sound vibrant and jump out of your speakers.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: November 27, 2014 20:47

pmk251
When I saw today's date while reading the morning paper I thought the same thing. The night before the band gave us the Hey Jude Sympathy
excuse my ignorance but what is the "Hey Jude Sympathy" never came across this before?
john

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 27, 2014 20:52

excuse my ignorance but what is the "Hey Jude Sympathy" never came across this before?

Wasn't that the flip side of "Street Fighting Revolution"?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 27, 2014 23:57

keith56
Just to remember one of their best shows at the Madison square garden on the November 27, 1969

thumbs up

One minute silence please.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 28, 2014 00:08

schillid

Wasn't that the flip side of "Street Fighting Revolution"?

no, that was Honky Tonk Across The Universe.

Street Fighting Revolution was the flip side of Jumpin' Bungalow Bill.

Date: November 28, 2014 00:48

No, it was Happiness Is A Warm Turd...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 28, 2014 00:56

"The Rolling Stones tour of North America in late 1969 was their first since the summer of 1966 and it was their first anywhere since the Spring of 1967. They had of course played the huge free concert in London’s Hyde Park in July 1969, shortly after Brian Jones’s tragic death, but they were not the road-honed outfit that they had become in the heady days between 1963 to 1967. Their tour began on 7 November at Fort Collins, Colorado where they played the State University.

Tickets for this 17 date, 23 show tour sold out in hours and so great was the demand that extra concerts were added in New York and Los Angeles; they ended up playing to over 335,000 fans on the tour. The Stones started out by rehearsing in Stephen Stills’s basement before moving to a Warner Brothers’ Studios sound-stage. They flew between most gigs, while basing themselves in Los Angeles and New York for some of the tour. They quite often went on stage late, sometimes very late. On 8 November in Inglewood, California they didn’t get start their second show until 4 a.m. Robert Hilburn, writing in the LA Times asked, “The Stones have succeeded in turning outrage into art. Are they really able to use all that money?”

Glyn Johns recorded their shows at Baltimore’s Civic Center on 26 November and at Madison Square Garden in New York City on 27 and 28 November. The band decided to call their second live album, Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out when it came out in September 1970.

Originally it was to be a double album, including tracks by B.B. King and Ike and Tina Turner. But as Mick said at the time “Decca weren’t interested. ‘Who is B.B King? Who are these people?’ they asked. They just didn’t know who these acts were! So in the end I gave it all up ’cause it just wasn’t worth carrying on with.” For the 40th anniversary release of the record their tracks were included along with some additional bonus cuts from the Stones."

More on: [www.udiscovermusic.com]

Date: November 28, 2014 01:02

It's a fun performance, so listen to the whole song, but by the 9 minute mark Taylor's soloing away big time. The Hey Jude part starts around 9:17. A fine show and recording. A must have of the '69 tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 28, 2014 16:25

DandelionPowderman

You're mistaken...Warm Turd was the flip side of "She's A Pepper"

Date: November 28, 2014 16:34

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Darn! I also had Fixing Down In A Hole in mind...

Date: November 28, 2014 17:31

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Darn! I also had Fixing Down In A Hole in mind...

Sorry, wrong again, Fixing Down in a Hole backed up Emotional Something

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 28, 2014 17:40

You're probably thinking of
The Long And Winding Turd ...

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: November 29, 2014 00:46

thank you..... see, that wasn't hard was it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home