Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Study the Stones-University of Rochester
Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: November 16, 2014 10:00

Professor John Covach from University of Rochester is offering a free on line six week course on "The Music of the Rolling Stones" 1962-1974

Starts Jan 2015

You even get a certificate if you pass
Access via Cousera ( which has many excellent free university courses available )

Re: Study the Stones-University of Rochester
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 16, 2014 15:23

What's "Cousera"?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 16, 2014 16:05

Date: November 16, 2014 16:25

Thank you!

Date: November 16, 2014 16:42

You are welcome!

Here is the more direct link to the Stones course.

[www.coursera.org]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2014 17:06

Didn't want to start a separate Stones thread on this but I thought it was related in a way...

ON the TV show "Jeopardy" last night, they had a Rolling Stones Category.

The $1000 question was something like this,

Multi talented musician drowns in swimming pool in 1969.

This was the 'hardest' of the stones questions, and no one could answer it.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: November 16, 2014 17:16

this looks so cool!!! I remember seeing a similar style course on Michael Jackson at Duke University and thinking how lucky people must be to be able to take something they already love talking about for credit! I'll have to see about signing up.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 16, 2014 17:33

I'm going to look into it. I can't find what days or times the classes are.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: November 16, 2014 17:44

treaclefingers
Didn't want to start a separate Stones thread on this but I thought it was related in a way...

Brian was probably rolling over...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 16, 2014 18:05

Are there any credits earned toward graduation? What is the value of certificate?

If there's say even one credit or semester hour counted toward graduation I can this being a high demand elective (given it's only a 6 week online course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-16 18:11 by nightskyman.

Date: November 16, 2014 18:51

More Hot Rocks
I'm going to look into it. I can't find what days or times the classes are.

Jan 17 - March 31

There are going to be video lectures(8 to 12 mins), with quizzes attached. Sounds like you can watch them anytime during the dates listed.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 16, 2014 19:24

treaclefingers

I remember there was a video posted here some time ago where a guy was on a TV show and didn't know who Mick Jagger was.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 16, 2014 20:08

I already have a certificate from The College Of Rock And Roll Knowledge from a local radio station so this would beef up my resume. Can I test out now?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 16, 2014 20:36

If anyone is looking for any peer-reviewed journal publishing credits on the subject, Taylor & Francis are publishing in 2016 a special issue of Rock Music Studies (a new popular music journal launched in 2014) on the Rolling Stones. There is currently an open "Call for Papers": [www.tandfonline.com]

Posted by: Raymond82 ()
Date: November 17, 2014 02:17

I've registered and paid.

School wasn't for me but this?? This will be great!

Plus, my favourite period is 69-78 or thereabouts so I'm hoping to pick up on some stuff I might not know already. The lecturer seems cool, really looking forward to it.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 17, 2014 06:15

stonehearted
If anyone is looking for any peer-reviewed journal publishing credits on the subject, Taylor & Francis are publishing in 2016 a special issue of Rock Music Studies (a new popular music journal launched in 2014) on the Rolling Stones. There is currently an open "Call for Papers": [www.tandfonline.com]

stonehearted, if you have access to the whole Call for Papers would you email it to me or paste it in here? I'm not able to see all of it. Actually I think the deadline has passed to submit, from what I understand.

Yeah, I'm trying that Coursera course, hey glad to see some of you are doing it too.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-17 06:22 by angee.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 17, 2014 06:34

alieb
treaclefingers

Brian was probably rolling over...

WHO??????

Date: November 17, 2014 06:48

angee
stonehearted

stonehearted, if you have access to the whole Call for Papers would you email it to me or paste it in here? I'm not able to see all of it. Actually I think the deadline has passed to submit, from what I understand.

The special issue on the Stones won't be publishing until February 2016, so there's still over a year to submit your beer-reviewed article, though you might want to submit within the next 6 months before they fill their list. The Call for Papers piece is only 2 pages long, and you can only see the preview page from the link unless you create a log-in account so that you can download it as a pdf file or view full text, which is typically how these journals work--to read full articles, you have to $ubscribe.

Here's the link to the full issue showing the table of contents where the Call for Papers piece is listed: [www.tandfonline.com]

Neil Nehring's Call for Papers piece is pages 312-313 of the issue. Also, on pages 314-315, there's a similar Call for Papers piece on a special issue they'll be having on the Velvet Underground: [www.tandfonline.com]

Perhaps if you contact Mr. Nehring himself he could provide you with additional details, since he'll be the guest editor for the special issue. Hope this added info helps. smiling smiley

Date: November 17, 2014 07:26

stonehearted
angee
stonehearted

yeah, but who wants yesterday's papers?

The special issue on the Stones won't be publishing until February 2016, so there's still over a year to submit your beer-reviewed article, though you might want to submit within the next 6 months before they fill their list. The Call for Papers piece is only 2 pages long, and you can only see the preview page from the link unless you create a log-in account so that you can download it as a pdf file or view full text, which is typically how these journals work--to read full articles, you have to $ubscribe.

Here's the link to the full issue showing the table of contents where the Call for Papers piece is listed: [www.tandfonline.com]

Neil Nehring's Call for Papers piece is pages 312-313 of the issue. Also, on pages 314-315, there's a similar Call for Papers piece on a special issue they'll be having on the Velvet Underground: [www.tandfonline.com]

Perhaps if you contact Mr. Nehring himself he could provide you with additional details, since he'll be the guest editor for the special issue. Hope this added info helps. smiling smiley

Date: November 17, 2014 08:12

treaclefingers
stonehearted
angee
stonehearted

It's just my obsession, which is your possession.

Date: November 17, 2014 15:50

stonehearted
treaclefingers
stonehearted
angee
stonehearted

It's just my obsession, which is your possession.

I'm feeling a connection.

Date: November 17, 2014 15:56

Stay cool, calm and collected, now guys..

Date: November 17, 2014 16:13

DandelionPowderman

Either that or please go home spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 17, 2014 16:26

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

Either that or please go home spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Right on! There's not much left to attack winking smiley

Date: November 17, 2014 18:31

stonehearted, just thought you might have the second page since you seem sure about the deadline.
I've tried to access it more than a few times now.

Ah, turns out I had already contacted the gentleman in question before, alerted by someone else, and he said it was too late already for the special issue. I didn't realize this was the same cfp as I had heard about.

thanks, anyway.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-17 18:35 by angee.

Date: November 17, 2014 18:37

So is it free or $49?

Date: November 17, 2014 18:39

I'm doing the free version.

I think it's either.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: November 17, 2014 18:49

angee

I think it's either.

I think you have to pay at the end to get the certificate? Not sure.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 17, 2014 18:55

I feel so inspired by this thread that I am considering starting

STONESRULE UNIVERSITY

Guest lecturers may include BV...Keith Richards...StonesTod...and

several gorgeous young women who have no desire to "date" band members.

Date: November 17, 2014 19:15

More Hot Rocks
angee

I think it's either.

I think you have to pay at the end to get the certificate? Not sure.

My understanding is that if you want the certificate, you need to pay,
but you're not required to want the certificate. :E

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home