Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: World Series 2014
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 22, 2014 21:23

We have an NFL topic, how about a baseball one? Is anybody watching? Baseball interest is much lower than it was 30-40 years ago. But my team is in it: the San Francisco Giants. Hopefully they will keep going like they did last night, a 7-1 victory over the Kansas City Royals.

Chime in.

plexi

Re: OT: World Series 2014
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 22, 2014 21:34

As a Southern Californian, I have nothing (good) to say about the S.F. Giants.

Date: October 22, 2014 21:51

Well after losing the NL West to the Dodgers this year, and as a native Northern Californian, it is particularly satisfying to think of the Dodgers sitting at home watching the Giants in the World Series on TV. All of the big spending on players has not yet gotten the Dodgers into the Series.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 21:54 by timbernardis.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 22, 2014 23:29

The Red Sox sucked this year... I've been in "wait 'til next year" mode for a while now. Currently on the Royals bandwagon though. When I'm neutral on both teams, as I am this year, I generally root for the team that hasn't won as recently or as often. I fully undestand what it's like to "wait your whole life for a championship". So glad my wait ended in 2004!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 00:03

Not really following it apart from seeing the hilights on the news. Now if the Cubs ever got in, then I'd be watching! Guess that means I'll probably never be watching smiling smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: October 23, 2014 00:14

Last night was the first game I have watched in weeks and then I did something else after it got to 6-0. Pulling for KC because the Giants seem to get there every 2-3 years and because I like Ned Yost as a coach. My home team The Brewers tanked it down the stretch after playing very well all year which was such a pity. At least the Cardinals aren't in it.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:33

Rooting for the Giants, been a fan since 1965. Screw the Dodgers and Royals

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:00

I grew up with the Giants as well and rooted for them for many years from the 60s thru the 80s. But then the ugly association with Barry Bonds showed us the Giants are an organization without class that just cares about selling tickets. And not just the issues with the Giants but Who can get excited about baseball at all these days. The Steroid Era destroyed the game. Not to mention that these guys make too much money and the gulf between fans and players is vast beyond belief. The same could be said about the Stones I guess.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:41

"At least the Cardinals aren't in it."

Touché'

As a Cincinnati Reds fan (talk about a horrible season!)I'm with ya on celebrating the Cardinals sitting home.

Go Royals. 29 years is plenty long enough to wait on a championship.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:56

I stopped caring about baseball when Nolan Ryan retired.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:06

I'll take the Giants as I hate the KC Royals (being a Yankees fan).

Yeah baseball doesn't command the attention that it had in the late 70s (for example). That was a great time to be a Yankees fan (even before the Jeter era) when they battled the Red Sox, Royals, and Dodgers for everything.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:17

Sports is a lot like music in the sense that everyone sort of has their own personal Golden Age which is roughly equivalent to the first 10 years in which you're a fan of a particular band or team. My personal Golden Age of sports is 1967-1977. When the last of the athletes who were active during those years retired, I sorta lost interest.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 23, 2014 11:55

I'm pulling for the Royals just on the basis of I like the small market teams to do well once in awhile. Especially in baseball. The lack of a salary cap makes it hard for them to compete. I'm a M's fan but I'm not as hardcore as I am about the Seahawks. The ownership of the M's leaves a lot to be desired. We showed signs of improvement this year. Maybe next year. Until then, go Royals! PS: I like Lorde, haha.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 23, 2014 18:32

I'm an NL guy so would probably go with the Giants, but this is 2 great cities with nice ballparks and good fanbases, so to me it's just something to enjoy.

Does anyone know if they still serve those garlic fries at AT&T Park?... oh baby.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2014 18:33

What international teams do we having vying off in this year's World Series?

Date: October 23, 2014 18:38

treaclefingers

Only teams from the United States of America remain. A team based in Canada was already eliminated from the competition. Many of the individual players participating are originally from outside of the USA though.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 23, 2014 20:59

Giants fan here. I live in SF. The excitement of having our team in the World Series hasn't gotten old despite the fact that we've been there three of the past five years. There's a buzz around the city with everyone having a good time.

KC is like the Beatles. I prefer the Stones -- scrappy, down and dirty, soulful.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 23, 2014 21:22

How can you not be for Kansas City this year? You'd have to be born in Candlestick Park.

Date: October 23, 2014 23:45

mr_dja
treaclefingers

Only teams from the United States of America remain. A team based in Canada was already eliminated from the competition. Many of the individual players participating are originally from outside of the USA though.

Peace,
Mr DJA

How far in the tournament have the Norwegians gotten?

Date: October 24, 2014 02:14

it is not a tournament, but The Series.

plexi

Date: October 24, 2014 02:49

timbernardis
it is not a tournament, but The Series.

plexi
Is that a roundabout way of saying Norway hasn't placed well?

Date: October 24, 2014 03:56

well they suck at baseball but not at pants.

Date: October 24, 2014 15:51

That picture illustrates the main problem for Norwegian baseball... Once they figure out that the rest of the world plays the game with bats, balls and gloves on grass, they may be able to compete on a worldwide level. As long as they insit on using brooms & rocks and playing on ice, I don't see much hope for them!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: October 24, 2014 16:05

Lets Go Mets!!!!!!

But, given that the only thing the Mets excel at is sucking, I usually have to use a complex formula to decide who I'm for. If not my home town (NYC), then my region ( I now live in MA), otherwise I consider the fan base and decide who I would most like to see get the win.

Have to come up with some way to choose sides to make watching the games interesting.

Date: October 24, 2014 16:58

barbequebob
Lets Go Mets!!!!!!

But, given that the only thing the Mets excel at is sucking, I usually have to use a complex formula to decide who I'm for. If not my home town (NYC), then my region ( I now live in MA), otherwise I consider the fan base and decide who I would most like to see get the win.

Have to come up with some way to choose sides to make watching the games interesting.

Have you tried "Cow Pie Bingo"? Fun for all and the grass gets mowed and fertilized. If cow's aren't available any domesticated animal will do though horses aren't always all that accurate and rodents can be pretty hard to keep track of while waiting for their "prediction".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 24, 2014 17:36

mr_dja
That picture illustrates the main problem for Norwegian baseball... Once they figure out that the rest of the world plays the game with bats, balls and gloves on grass, they may be able to compete on a worldwide level. As long as they insit on using brooms & rocks and playing on ice, I don't see much hope for them!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Hey, ease up on the curling! There is absolutely nothing wrong with a sport that involved people on all fours yelling "harder!". >grinning smiley<

Date: October 24, 2014 19:39

smileys with beer
crholmstrom
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Hey, ease up on the curling! There is absolutely nothing wrong with a sport that involved people on all fours yelling "harder!". >grinning smiley<

I think my laughter has calmed down enough that I can type now! Agreed. There's nothing wrong with curling... Might be room for improvement with co-ed teams and more opportunities to "score"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 24, 2014 20:10

sorry my bad i thought it was called pants.

Date: October 27, 2014 20:36

The Giants are now on the verge of winning the Series, being up 3 games to 2 in the best of seven.

Will it go 6 or 7 games and what is your prediction for the outcome?

plexi

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 27, 2014 20:45

Lil' Brian
How can you not be for Kansas City this year? You'd have to be born in Candlestick Park.

My point of view if how can anyone root for the midwest over SF? the rock classics the organist plays between batters are alone reason. And the Giants are a "small market" team just as much as KC is. Baseball proves every year that you cannot buy a championship. I will enjoy the Giants winning in front of the KC fans.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home