Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Santana Drummer Michael Shrieve and the Stones - what do you know?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 20, 2014 03:48

hi everyone,

What do you know about Santana drummer Michael Shrieve's affiliations with the Stones?

I know he played percussions on Dance Little Sister, Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold -- and
undoubtedly more.

Makes me wish for the music version of IMDB again winking smiley

Is he pals with any of them in particular, or what, if anything, is the connection?

Not that I think there's anything fascinating or mysterious...just saw his name listed as personnel on
Emotional Rescue, and started idly wondering...

thanks
swiss

Re: Santana Drummer Michael Shrieve and the Stones - what do you know?
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 20, 2014 04:01

I know he's in Gimme Shelter standing with Garcia & Lesh during the famous "Angels is beatin' on musicians?" scene, looking completely baked and about 13 years old.

That's all I got.

I'd love to know more details, though. Just watched him again this weekend doing "Soul Sacrifice" from Woodstock. Fantastic performance from everyone, Shrieve especially!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 20, 2014 04:11

You mean "Dance (Part One)" and not "Dance, Little Sister." Shrieve plays on EMOTIONAL RESCUE while Santana percussionist Michael Carabello overdubbed percussion on TATTOO YOU in 1981. Shrieve came back to play drums on "Lonely at the Top" (an EMOTIONAL RESCUE outtake) when Jagger reworked the song for SHE'S THE BOSS in 1984.

Date: August 20, 2014 08:38

Michael is a great drummer, and did a very good job on ER and She's The Boss, imo.

Date: August 20, 2014 10:17

Rocky Dijon
You mean "Dance (Part One)" and not "Dance, Little Sister." Shrieve plays on EMOTIONAL RESCUE while Santana percussionist Michael Carabello overdubbed percussion on TATTOO YOU in 1981. Shrieve came back to play drums on "Lonely at the Top" (an EMOTIONAL RESCUE outtake) when Jagger reworked the song for SHE'S THE BOSS in 1984.

Thank you!

Date: August 20, 2014 10:35

DandelionPowderman
Michael is a great drummer, and did a very good job on ER and She's The Boss, imo.

I like him on ER - have never really heard She's The Boss, honestly. Wonder whether he's more aligned
with Mick than Keith...

JuanTCB
I know he's in Gimme Shelter standing with Garcia & Lesh during the famous "Angels is beatin' on musicians?" scene, looking completely baked and about 13 years old.

That's all I got.

I'd love to know more details, though. Just watched him again this weekend doing "Soul Sacrifice" from Woodstock. Fantastic performance from everyone, Shrieve especially!

Thanks - yeah, that famous Gimme Shelter scene smiling smiley I will go back and watch him on Woodstock!

Date: August 20, 2014 10:52

Just found this Conversation with Michael Shrieve

"Michael, can you talk about your work and relationship with the Rolling Stones? You
reportedly did some jamming with the Stones in the Bahamas and then played on “Emotional
Rescue,” “Tattoo You” and a Mick Jagger solo album. Did you first meet the Stones when
Santana shared the bill with them at Altamont? What percussion instruments did you play
on the Stones’ albums, with Charlie Watts playing traps?

"Mick Jagger used to come to Santana’s concerts in London and was a fan of the band, so
that’s where I first met him. I went to his wedding to Bianca in the south of France and
did some playing at the party after the wedding. When I moved to New York we became
friends and used to hang out and listen to music together. We went to see Jack DeJohnette
together and I took Mick to The Corso to hear Latin music and watch the dancers.

"I couldn’t believe he’d never been there, and he loved it, as you can imagine. The Stones
were working with engineer Chris Kimsey in the studio, who I’d met and worked with on
the ‘Automatic Man” record in London, so basically I would go down to the studio
and hang out with them. Every once in a while there needed to be some percussion
on a tune, and I was there and just did it. It was just small stuff like tambourine,
cowbell or maybe some timbales. I played on the “Emotional Rescue” record and “Tattoo
You” and I played drums on Mick’s first solo album, which was recorded at Compass
Point in Nassau. Nobody plays drums on a Rolling Stones record except for Charlie
Watts! I have a great deal of respect for Mick Jagger. The guy works his tail off, is
extremely professional and a really smart guy. It was a pleasure to work with him."

Ok----so there we have it - haha! smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: August 20, 2014 11:13

JuanTCB

That's all I got.

He played on Woodstock for Santana the same year. Then he was 17 smiling smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 20, 2014 11:54

swiss
Nobody plays drums on a Rolling Stones record except for Charlie
Watts!

Beep, wrong.

Date: August 20, 2014 19:20

TooTough
swiss
Watts!

Beep, wrong.

To be clear: I didn't say that, Michael Shrieve says that in the interview I posted.

Date: August 20, 2014 19:28

He meant besides Jimmy Miller, Anton Fig, Steve Jordan and Ronnie Wood, of course winking smiley

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: August 20, 2014 19:59

That the guy with the curlie long hair? ..Man. I never heard a greater drumsolo then the one he did with santana at woodstock. Amazing!

Date: August 20, 2014 20:09

swiss
TooTough
Michael Shrieve
Watts!

Beep, wrong.

To be clear: I didn't say that, Michael Shrieve says that in the interview I posted.

Sorry, swiss, corrected!

Date: August 20, 2014 20:13

I love Santana´s Waiting from 1969. To all Germans:
Listen from 5:00 to the end and tell me which German TV show
used it as intro and outro!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-20 20:13 by TooTough.

Date: August 20, 2014 20:17

from his own site:

1985 - Nassau, the Bahamas. With Jeff Beck during the recording of Mick Jagger's solo album, "She's The Boss."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-20 20:18 by TooTough.

Date: August 23, 2014 00:55

Michael Shrieve was also taking part in the 25-minute jam session that happened at Mick Jaggers 1971 marriage with Bianca Moreno I can't remember the rest of her name. Along with Doris Troy, P. P. Arnold, Steve Stills, Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, and David Brown (of Santana).

Date: August 23, 2014 09:18

F.U.C. the Captain
Michael Shrieve was also taking part in the 25-minute jam session that happened at Mick Jaggers 1971 marriage with Bianca Moreno I can't remember the rest of her name. Along with Doris Troy, P. P. Arnold, Steve Stills, Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, and David Brown (of Santana).

Wow!!

Date: August 23, 2014 09:19

TooTough
from his own site:

1985 - Nassau, the Bahamas. With Jeff Beck during the recording of Mick Jagger's solo album, "She's The Boss."

Thanks for posting, TooTough! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home