Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 18, 2014 10:33

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 20:24 by colonial.

Re: OT- Instruments Stylised by Musicians and Bands
Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: August 19, 2014 01:48

Jimi Hendrix and his use of the wah pedal

The Edge (U2) and his use of delay

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2014 02:06

...............Washington Phillips with Dolceola

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 19, 2014 03:10

Gary Nueman was basically doing what Bowie had already done on Low. And Bowie was basically doing what Kraut rock has already been doing like Kraftwork.

George Harrison the sitar.

Brian Jones- All around eclectic renaissance man with new and interesting instruments

Ringo Star- Roto toms on the the drums.

The Beatles in general using classical music arrangements on pop/rock records.

Moog- Again Harrison and Townshend.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 19, 2014 04:59

The hollow-body German guitars The Beatles were using were a departure from the solid-body Fender sound prevalent in rock music at that time. It's also safe to say that Vox amps and Ludwig drums sold a few more units as a result of their popularity, as did Rickenbacker guitars which became the signature sound of The Byrds after they saw the movie A Hard day's Night.

Being that he lived close by to Jim Marshall's company Marshall Amplification, Pete Townshend became the first to utilize the Marshall stack onstage, which later became a staple of such acts as Cream and Jimi Hendrix.

As for electronic keyboard sounds, let's not forget Mike Pinder of the Moody Blues, who if not the first rock musician to record with the mellotron certainly made it a signature sound and was something he became especially known for. It also helped that in the early sixties he worked in the factory (Streetly Electronics in Birmingham, UK), in all departments, where mellotrons were produced and tested each model before they were released onto the market. So, in fact, he did play them first even before they made their initial appearance on a rock record or fell into the hands of rock bands and musicians.

Below is a clip featuring Pinder playing mellotron at the screening for the documentary Mellodrama: The Mellotron Movie.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 19, 2014 17:29

More cow bell!

But, who was the first? These guys, according to wikipedia:

The intro to their 1965 track "Concrete and Clay" by the British group Unit Four plus Two, a UK No. 1 hit which also reached 28 in the Billboard Hot 100, is perhaps the first use in the pop era.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 19, 2014 17:59

jimmy page -gibson les paul sunburst

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 19, 2014 19:57

TheGreek

Jimmy could also be given much credit for the double-neck guitar's popularity. At least today when I see one, many times I'm told it's "like Jimmy Page's"

Both Jaco Pastorius and Pino Pallidino could be given much credit for introducing and popularizing fretless bass guitars.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 19, 2014 20:07

Keith Richards- tele in open g. Tele with humbucker (others may have tried it previously not sure but Keith made it stick, clear dan armstrong, triple humbucker lp.

Jerry Lee Lewis- he didn't change much cosmeticaly but the wildman on the piano he did make famous.

Go Dawgs!

Date: August 19, 2014 21:02

mr_dja
TheGreek

Jimmy could also be given much credit for the double-neck guitar's popularity. At least today when I see one, many times I'm told it's "like Jimmy Page's"

Both Jaco Pastorius and Pino Pallidino could be given much credit for introducing and popularizing fretless bass guitars.

Peace,
Mr DJA
you are very correct .i did forget all about the gibson 12/6 doubleneck. think how heavy that doubleneck has to be ?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 19, 2014 22:07

TheGreek
mr_dja
TheGreek

Peace,
Mr DJA
you are very correct .i did forget all about the gibson 12/6 doubleneck. think how heavy that doubleneck has to be ?

Too heavy for my back... And I'm a bass player! According to a Gibson forum, a posting claims that an eBay listing said it's 12.8 pounds. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: August 19, 2014 22:13

Hank Marvin and the Stratocaster.... certainly in the UK in the early 60's

john

Date: August 20, 2014 17:53

mr_dja
TheGreek
mr_dja
TheGreek

Peace,
Mr DJA

Too heavy for my back... And I'm a bass player! According to a Gibson forum, a posting claims that an eBay listing said it's 12.8 pounds. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Peace,
Mr DJA
jerry garcia custom built doug irwin guitars (tiger, rosebud )clocked in around 12lbs . very heavy , but they had very exotic woods !

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2014 18:30

Not sure how y'all are using the word "stylised" but the first fretless electric bass surely counts

- Ready Steady Go, August 23rd 1963, courtesy of Rockman

Posted by: Des ()
Date: August 20, 2014 18:56

What Brian Jones dabbled with Rick Scott (Pied Pumpkin/childrens performer) has popularized in his circles. As a childrens performer he calls his dulcimer an Electric Snowshoe, as an adult performer he is the rock and comedy in Pied Pumpkin, west coast Canada's quientesential hippie band. This instument is also popular at jam sessions my brother hosts.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 20, 2014 20:49

latebloomer
More cow bell!

But, who was the first? These guys, according to wikipedia:

The intro to their 1965 track "Concrete and Clay" by the British group Unit Four plus Two, a UK No. 1 hit which also reached 28 in the Billboard Hot 100, is perhaps the first use in the pop era.

and very effective it was too. I remember this well from my teenage years - nice to hear it again:

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: August 20, 2014 22:58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home