Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do you remember the first time you heard the Stones music?
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 04:46

...come on guys be serious, I'm talking about the very first time you heard the Stones music.
when was it and where for you ?
For me, it was in 1976, I was 13 and the Stones were in Paris (Abattoirs de la Villette).
I was home, listening to radio and all of a sudden I heard a tremondous drums sound, it was Get off of my cloud !
I liked it immediately.
It's funny to think that I like this band probably thanks to Charlie.
Then, they played Satisfaction. The guitar riff speaks to itself. I knew from that day that I would be a fan.
The following year, I went to England in a host family for one month and bought Love You Live and Big Hits
on cassette.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 11:06 by bv.

Re: Do you remember the first time you...?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 1, 2014 04:55

...read a post whose title ended with ellipses?...

...Why yes, I do, it was here on IORR... just recently... a few days ago... I think....

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 1, 2014 05:15

December 63. I was 20yo and "I Wanna be Your Man" Changed my life. Bills bass blew me away. It would have been "Come On" if they had released it in OZ, of that, I am sure.

Posted by: Raymond82 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 10:37

July 1996, pre season football training. The boss gave me a lift to the pitch and on the stereo was Jumpin Jack Flash. As an Oasis diehard, I just didn't listen to much else at the time. I was 13. I asked who it was and he pulled out the Hot Rocks cassette. Let me keep it too and I've still got it. God bless you Jim!!

Re: Do you remember the first time you heard the Stones music?
Date: August 1, 2014 11:10

yes Raymond, this guy should be your best friend !

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 11:24

Although my parents tell me they played the Stones at home when I was younger, I have no recollection of it. I discovered them around 1990 (first time around when it did not affect me so much), but it was 2-3 years later I got back to my folks´ record collection with all the 60´s albums. And then it hit me, what a band! All those 60´s Stones tunes are still my favourites. I seem to remember that my first favourite songs were Can I get a witness and Off the hook. I also found a numerous amount of other great "old" bands/artists in that collection and my musical universe was forever changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 1, 2014 11:30

I must have heard them many times before not knowing who it actually was to play such cool music, but being aware that it was the Stones:-

It was BROWN SUGAR

on my little transistor radio on the NDR2 hitparade on a Saturday evening in the early summer of 1971.

"Here's some hot stuff from the wild boys", said the man on the radio, and it kind of hit me hard and I knew that that was the real thing and that I wanted more.

dead.flowers

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 11:44

the very first time .... it must have been somewhere around 1970 - 1972 when i was listening to offshore AM radiostations like: Radio Caroline, Radio Veronica,

And I have seen my first shows in 1976 in Holland, and driving with older schoolfriends to several shows in Germany. almost 40 years ago ...

hope this answers your question

Richard

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2014 11:58

GOMC on Top of the Pops when I was about six.

I thought Mick Jagger was a fantastic clown !
My mum said it wasn't funny and he was just a long haired lout.

The memory stuck for some reason... and I turmed into a long haired lout about five years later when I got into the Stones on a slightly different kind of level.

[Come to think of it...to this day a Stones show can still still bring the same kind of joy that circus clowns brought when I was six. My favourite was a guy called Charlie Coroli who performed every year at the Blackpool Tower Circus.
He used to remember me year on year as the red faced little boy who just couldn't stop laughing ]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 1, 2014 12:00

Sometimes 1964...'Not Fade Away' or 'Little Red Rooster'....it was the Rooster that hooked me...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 12:11

Around 71 my parents had one of those old gramophones which originally was my nans. It was quite a powerful machine and my nan had to get permission from the home office to keep it during the war years. Anyway honky tonk women came on and the rest is history.

Posted by: memofromdylan ()
Date: August 1, 2014 12:21

Scottish Inn Motel--free HBO--as my dad slept I happened upon the live special from Licks. Much too young to recognize the World's Greatest Rock n' Roll Band, but the seeds were sowed and here I be.

Date: August 1, 2014 12:35

bv, why did you change the original title of the thread ?
come on, there was nothing rude.
I can't believe it, you have no sense of humour ?

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 13:21

1989, Paint it Black. I was 11 and played it a hundred times on my first turntable.
Since then I switched to metal, but Stones I can still listen to a hundred times in a row. I guess the first music that gives you a kick, moves into your bones and can't get out.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 13:34

In Australia. I was 10 or 11. Not sure if it was '64 or '65. My parents had bought me a little Singer flip up speaker lid turntable and a couple of records by The Seekers. Mmmmm, not exactly my style!

One night at home in Perth, Western Australia, I am listening to the cricket live from England on my little crystal set (ANYONE REMEMBER THOSE..?)... and somehow the tuning dial slipped a little...to Radio Luxembourg and a band called The Rolling Stones was introduced and on came a song called Route 66...and that was it, my world changed!

DESPITE their lack of productivity in recent decades, despite criticism by many on this very fan board about this productivity being of diminished quality, I have to ask WHAT artists creativity over 5 decades has actually increased? And are any of US better now than we were 5 decades ago?

But I digress, this was the first time I heard them, and for 5 decades they have bought me unbridled joy and happiness, despite the occasional musical mis-step like Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work, both of which still have their moments! They and Springsteen remain at the top of my musical mountain. I appreciate many other artists, but NONE rival those two, in fact, NONE come remotely close.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: August 1, 2014 13:51

First song I remember was Love Is Strong. Also, on a trip to Norway with my parents, I had a mixtape with Satisfaction as the second song and listened to it over and over again. I remember having heard about Mick Jagger on the radio when I was a child, circa late 1980s, but it took till 2002 when I bought 40 Licks to become a fan, a diehard fan. It was a truly religious moment for me to see the Stones for the first time from the front row in 2003. Hearing Gimmie Shelter live and powerful kinda made me hard smiling smiley And it still does...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 13:55 by Hanns Rainsch.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 1, 2014 14:23

Angie, Top of the pops. August 1973

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 14:45 by EddieByword.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 14:51

It was 1981 when I heard Start Me Up on the radio, then saw the video. I bought the 45 and my mum hated them as she thought they were old and ugly, well Keith is only a couple of months older than her!smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 1, 2014 14:53

My family used to watch the Ed Sullivan show together every Sunday night when I was a little kid. I'm sure I'd heard them on the radio beofore this, but the first time they really made an impression on me was when I saw and heard them on the TV. I thought they were so cool looking, I wanted to find out more about them.

Later on, I heard Flowers at my friend Missy's house. Missy had an older brother who I had a crush on...he was always in his room playing albums and out floated LSTNT. Well, that cemented it; I bought Flowers and here I am today. I wonder what ever happened to that album and to Missy's brother? grinning smiley

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:22

1980. I am 10 and I hear Mick's "Hmmmm...yessss you could be mine." rap in Emotional Rescue and, to be honest, I am scared shitless.

Posted by: Yman56 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:42

Yes it was 1964 and I was listening to my favorite radio station when the dj played It's all over now by the Rolling Stones! I was hooked. From then on they were my favorite group!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:42

the first time was 'The Last Time'..

sometime in 1965. I was 10 years old. unforgettable, great music to me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:21

No idea smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:25

...I was in a pram getting wheeled past Dick Taylor's parents
house somewhere around '62 when I heard the sounds of Little Queenie....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:40

Rockman

cool smiley

you were shakin your rattler in time no doubt, Rockman!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:45

1965: The Last time/Satisfaction. First German tour/great success/Berlin riot.Bravo Stones compilation album.
One big buzz that made me a fan for life . .

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:47

I'm not sure when I first heard them, which is weird considering they are far and away my favorite band, and they have been since 1990. I could say it's been since 1989, but I had a brief misguided period in 1990 when Led Zeppelin was the ruler of my stereo, after the release of their first box set. Short of that, it's been the Stones by a Moonlight Mile. I remember watching their 1989 Steel Wheels press conference on MTV. In November of that year I saw them live for the first time in Minneapolis. By the time of that show, I had heard 'Satisfaction' and 'Start Me Up'. I only knew 'Sympathy for the Devil' as that "woo-wooooo, pleased to meet me" song. I was 15. I remember the machine gun lighting during what I later learned was 'Undercover of the Night'. And of course, the giant inflatable women during 'Honky Tonk Women'. At the end of the show, I remember staring at the stage as roadies started tearing down and thinking....I have a lot of work to do. And so the exploring began. By year's end I had 'Hot Rocks' and 'Still Life'. The 'Terrifying' pay-per-view sealed the deal. It's only rock n roll but I LOVE it.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:00

Couldn't tell you. They've just always been there for me.

Like Keith said "You've got the sun, the moon, and The Rolling Stones. I guess we've just been part of the furniture".

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:07

Summer 81 when i was 7 years old and only listened to Adam And The Ants. Prince Charming was number 1 but in the chart rundown Start Me Up grabbed my attention and i got my Mother to buy me it at Woolworths. Strangely though that was me done with The Stones until the Sky Movies special event live broadcast from Barcelona in 1990 by which time i was massively into The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans and others of that ilk. The Stones joined all the dots together for me and after that Barcelona gig my life was changed forever. Since then they've been part of my life every day. I can't imagine life without The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:47

Rockman

As always love your work Terry and the way you roll. Even in a pram smoking smiley

You headed to Perth yet do you know?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home