Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tattoo You [CP35-3032] golden price sticker
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 30, 2014 00:54

Is there anybody who can read Japanese?

I got this old-good black triangle EMI-Toshiba CD Tattoo You [CP35-3032]. It came with golden price sticker that looks like this

According to Beatles and Pink Floyd web sites only a few very early pressings of Abbey Road [CP35-3016] and Dark Side Of The Moon [CP35-3017] came with this type of sticker and without usual OBI stripe. Those editions are called pre-OBI pressings or something like that.

The question is - what is written on that sticker? I understand only the Y3,500 part.

Re: Tattoo You [CP35-3032] golden price sticker
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 30, 2014 01:51

Top of sticker : "The best rock 'n roll band in the world releases the indestructible power of rock 'n roll !!"

Middle of sticker : "The Rolling Stones - The Tattooed Man" [Japanese album name for Tattoo You]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 01:52 by kowalski.

Date: July 30, 2014 11:55

Thank you, kowalski.

By the way, do you have by chance nice quality image of the OBI for this disc? The only one I found was in Hoffmann, Dieter: DAS WEISSBUCH, New Media Records GmbH, Winsen/Luhe, Germany, 1991 [ISBN 13: 9783980289405] in page 351. Well, it looks like this. Not the best possible one.

Date: July 30, 2014 13:04

Sorry I don't have any OBI image.

Last time I was in Japan I remember seeing pre-remaster Japanese CD's in sales bins selling for cheap. Not sure which was the series though.

Date: July 30, 2014 14:40

kowalski

Last time I was in Japan I remember seeing pre-remaster Japanese CD's in sales bins selling for cheap. Not sure which was the series though.

Thank you anyway. Apparently this OBI is VERY RARE. I do not believe this CD was for sale with OBI neither on ebay nor gemm for ages.

The cheap Japanese CDs - most probably they were from POCD series. The problem with them is - those with catalog numbers higher than 1930 are ABKCO remasters.

Date: July 30, 2014 15:16

ironbelly
kowalski

Thank you anyway. Apparently this OBI is VERY RARE. I do not believe this CD was for sale with OBI neither on ebay nor gemm for ages.

The cheap Japanese CDs - most probably they were from POCD series. The problem with them is - those with catalog numbers higher than 1930 are ABKCO remasters.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I didn't buy any of them as I already bought some of the new SHM-CD's...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 30, 2014 19:31

The sticker was only present on early pressings of this CD that were manufactured at CBS/Sony's plant, which should be embossed in small print on the inner hub of the disc (matrix number would be something like CP35-3032___31, or something like that - I would have to check). The obi was, I believe, used with all copies manufactured at the Toshiba EMI plant; early pressings had machine stamped matrix codes like CP35-3032 1A1.

I am pretty sure that copies with the sticker did not come with an obi. The sticker is rare. Take care of it.

Date: July 30, 2014 20:00

drbryant
The one I have came with blank hub and matrix CP35-3032-3 1A1

To my best knowledge the following combinations of matrix/plastic hub imprints were reported

CP35-3032-1 1A1
CP35-3032-3 1A1
CP35-3032 11 [MANUFACTURED BY CBS / SONY RECORDS INC.]
CP35-3032 11A1 [MANUFACTURED BY CBS / SONY RECORDS INC.]

I am not sure about the exact order of pressings.

There is a continuous discussion about EMI-Toshiba CDs and order of pressings. It is known that EMI had no CD pressing plant and mastering facilities in 1983 – 1985. They placed orders on CBS/SONY plant. But the label and booklets always read EMI-Toshiba.

Beatles leading experts on CP35-3016 claim that only the CDs with [MANUFACTURED BY CBS / SONY RECORDS INC.] imprint on plastic hub are SONY pressings and came earlier than CDs with blank hub. They say ‘blank hub’ CDs are Toshiba pressings.

Pink Floyd leading experts on CP35-3017 (see [pinkfloydarchives.com]) raised the concern that TB-AR was withdrawn from the market due to legal reasons before Toshiba installed own manufacturing facility. Thus, CDs with hub imprint and with ‘blank hub’ were both pressed by SONY, only different pressing equipment was used. The order of the pressings should be established by the increasing (incremental) numbers in the matrix. I.e CP35-3017-2 1A1, CP35-3017-3 1A1, CP35-3017-7 1A1, CP35-3017 10A1 etc. The hub imprint is kind of secondary attribute. The actual EMI-Toshiba pressings are those with letters ‘TO’ in the matrix (i.e. CP35-3017 33D1 TO or CP35-3017-U 1A2 TO). None of TB-AR CDs came with ‘TO’ i.e. they all are made by SONY. Also, most of PF-DSOTM with ‘TO’ came with reworked mastering (so called ‘EMI mastering’) after 1985.

I believe all CDs TRS-TY were made by SONY. But booze and pills and powders, you've got to choose your medicine, I mean, the Side Of The Force, or whatever.

By the way, there are also two versions of booklet and back cover for this one. One version has DIGITAL MASTERING, another with misprint DIGITAL MASTARING

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 22:03 by ironbelly.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 31, 2014 02:21

Oh golly, if I'd only been born in Japan (at the right time) I might have had the grace of owning these gems...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 31, 2014 19:35

So yours came with the sticker and the "1A1" matrix? I've never seen those two together. I thought they only came with the "11" matrix discs. Well, you learn something new every day. Maybe I'm thinking of Abbey Road. I used to buy a lot of CD's in Tokyo, but that was back in the 80's and 90's, so my memory might be fading.

Date: July 31, 2014 21:16

drbryant
So yours came with the sticker and the "1A1" matrix? I've never seen those two together. I thought they only came with the "11" matrix discs. Well, you learn something new every day. Maybe I'm thinking of Abbey Road. I used to buy a lot of CD's in Tokyo, but that was back in the 80's and 90's, so my memory might be fading.
Guess you are talking about that urban myth that was discussed on moptop's site about Abbey Road [CP35-3016]. Unfortunately, his site is dead for some time. As far as I remember he stated that only TB-AR with [MANUFACTURED BY CBS / SONY RECORDS INC.] imprint came with golden sticker. However later someone claim one with blank hub and CP35-3016-1 1A1. Vernon, on the other hand, does not provide details about matrix/sticker combination for the first pressings of PF-DSOTM at all.

Anyway, this is old story and seems nobody remember all the details.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home