Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Funniest sincere question I've ever seen: Was Mick Jagger ...
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 05:05

This is such a sincere, honest question that it broke my heart. I mean, its obviusly a young person...it's just so sweetly innocent.

Was Mick Jagger Part of Matchbox 20?

I know that Rob Thomas was the lead singer but I was looking at the lyrics to one of my favorite songs by the , Desiese, and it said Rob Thomas, Mick Jagger and I was thinkingWoh what's this all about so I looked it up but I couldn't find the answer so I typed it in on here. I also looked Mick Jagger up on wikkipedia witch didn't help at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 05:06 by stupidguy2.

Re: Funniest sincere question I've ever seen: Was Mick Jagger ...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2014 06:00

...eeeerrr well they did release an album titled .... Exile on Mainstream

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 30, 2014 06:01

It's listed as a co-write. Rob Thomas wrote it for Mick Jagger for his Goddess In The Doorway album, but Mick gave it back, saying that it would sound better if Rob and his band did it instead.

Story at: [www.mtv.com]

Thomas co-wrote a song with Mick for the Goddess album called Visions of Paradise, and it was thought that Mick might do a guest vocalist spot on Matchbox 20's third album: [www.mtv.com]

Here's another story on the album and RT's collaboration with MJ: [www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 30, 2014 08:02

An awful band.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:29

I remember reading an interview with Thomas where he basically suggests he didn't enjoy the experience ...that Mick wasn't easy to work with or something to that effect.
I'll never understand why of all the people to collaborate with, Mick picked this guy. I assume he was hoping for the Carlos Santana effect, and have a massive hit.
But Matchbox 20 wasn't even good pop, so I don't know what he was thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 08:30 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 19:19

I wasn't aware of how much of a contribution Jagger made to the song 'Disease'. I suppose the contribution of a nice vocal line is enough to claim a co-writing credit. Although I'm now less inclined to think of it as a 'Jagger' song.
I've heard interviews with songwriters who feel rather agrieved when one of their songs is recorded by a major artist who then claims co-writing credit by changing a word or phrase.

Date: July 30, 2014 21:08

stupidguy2
I remember reading an interview with Thomas where he basically suggests he didn't enjoy the experience ...that Mick wasn't easy to work with or something to that effect.
I'll never understand why of all the people to collaborate with, Mick picked this guy. I assume he was hoping for the Carlos Santana effect, and have a massive hit.

I don't recall having come across any interview in which Rob Thomas says anything but being starstruck in MJ's presence

See below:

"He collaborated with Mick Jagger and explained how Mick once left him a voicemail and how he kept the voicemail to playback to his friends and showoff."

Returning a favor to Matchbox frontman Rob Thomas -- who co-wrote and contributed vocals to "Visions of Paradise" from Jagger's recent solo album, Goddess in the Doorway -- Jagger sings on the band's "I Got a Disease." Even after co-writing and singing the smash hit "Smooth" for Santana, Thomas was not above being star-struck in the presence of the Rolling Stones singer. "I was just a nervous kid in a room with Mick Jagger trying not to look like an idiot and I still looked like an idiot," he says. "But at least we got a good song out of it."

Separately, I find "Visions of Paradise" to be one of the few awful moments on Goddess and "Disease" somewhat un-listenable

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 30, 2014 23:42

its pretty well known that jagger was trying to join matchbox 20.

he thought it was gonna be his chance to finally make it on his own and be a success away from the stones.when things didnt work out and he didnt get the matchbox 20 gig he was forced to once again go back to the stones.

Date: July 31, 2014 00:14

wanderingspirit66
stupidguy2

I don't recall having come across any interview in which Rob Thomas says anything but being starstruck in MJ's presence

See below:

"He collaborated with Mick Jagger and explained how Mick once left him a voicemail and how he kept the voicemail to playback to his friends and showoff."

Returning a favor to Matchbox frontman Rob Thomas -- who co-wrote and contributed vocals to "Visions of Paradise" from Jagger's recent solo album, Goddess in the Doorway -- Jagger sings on the band's "I Got a Disease." Even after co-writing and singing the smash hit "Smooth" for Santana, Thomas was not above being star-struck in the presence of the Rolling Stones singer. "I was just a nervous kid in a room with Mick Jagger trying not to look like an idiot and I still looked like an idiot," he says. "But at least we got a good song out of it."

Separately, I find "Visions of Paradise" to be one of the few awful moments on Goddess and "Disease" somewhat un-listenable

Yeah, I don't know where I got that from...not him trashing Mick or anything, but it sounded like they didn't really work very closely together.
In any case, RT personifies that bland generic top 40 from that period.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home