Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Richards vs Townshend
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2011 04:38

I love the who but I prefer the stones by a wide margin.
Good to have both...and the Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 7, 2011 05:19

stoned in washington dc
I'll take yayas over leeds ANY DAY OF THE WEEK..

having said that pete can still play guitar...

opposite for me. Live at Leeds is powerful

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2011 05:25

71Tele
stoned in washington dc

Ya Yas is better. But Leeds is still damn good, especially the expanded version.

I thought the original six-song Leeds LP was perfection, but the more they expanded it, the more its original power was diminished.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 7, 2011 05:30

Live At Leeds is great. Get Your Ya-Ya's Out is great.
but we all know Take No Prisoners is the greatest live album ever smiling smiley

Date: April 7, 2011 05:52

tatters
71Tele
stoned in washington dc

Ya Yas is better. But Leeds is still damn good, especially the expanded version.

I thought the original six-song Leeds LP was perfection, but the more they expanded it, the more its original power was diminished.

+1

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 7, 2011 06:13

I think it would be a pretty fair fight -- might go all 12 rounds. Are they using their guitars? They both have wielded them effectively as weapons. Keith by split decision, unless he is really drunk.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 7, 2011 06:18

Take Keith...Give the pointssmileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 7, 2011 07:26

ineedadrink
but we all know Take No Prisoners is the greatest live album ever smiling smiley

Take No Prisoners is Lou Reed as gay Broscht belt standup comedian, funny as hell in small doses, and not for the squeamish or intolerant. "If you write as good as you talk, nobody reads ya!" "Who tightened this microphone? It must be Godzilla! ... I better grow an inch or meet a boyfriend." "I spend a year on a record so I can get a B+ from some @#$%& in the Village Voice? ... What does Robert Christgau do in bed? Is he a toef-cker?" "Which Lou am I today? Lou number one or Lou number five?"

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 7, 2011 08:03

>I'll take yayas over leeds ANY DAY OF THE WEEK..

I'll take it over days of the week that don't even exist.

I can only presume Nik Cohn never heard James Brown LIVE AT THE APOLLO.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 7, 2011 08:07

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 7, 2011 10:39

Nice comparison. Rhythm guitar player extrordanaires. Give the edge in the lyrics department to Pete. Gets no help from Daltrey,really. Brilliant over songwriter. I don't think Pete has eroded as fast as Keith as far as his skill set.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 7, 2011 11:46

stoned in washington dc
tatters
71Tele
stoned in washington dc

+1

+1 - although I got the boxed set at Christmas as I live in Hull and was curious to hear it. Still fantastic.

Live at Leeds LP is perfection IMHO.

sc uk

Date: April 7, 2011 12:18

I have read in interview where Pete says he has never had much confidence in his onw guitar playing. I love his playing. It is very rhythm based, but love his solos from the 70's heyday with Entwhistle holding down the fort.
But I think today - Pete has become way better. Totally dig his style. On acoustic as well as electric. E.g the tunes on last tour that him and Roger would do alone on stage: one acoustic guitar.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 7, 2011 15:18

The OP in this thread is a preposterous cheap shot at Keith, who at 25 was in a league of his own as an innovator if not technical proficiency.

The fact is that Pete has taken care of himself and Keith doesn't. He got sober during the 80s and has stayed physically and mentally fit. Keith, conversely, still smokes tobacco and weed like a chimney, drinks like a fish, and acknowledges his only exercise is sex. Add the physical debility of the arthritis, and it's fairly obvious why Pete has retained his chops much more than Keith.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 7, 2011 15:47

ab
ineedadrink

Take No Prisoners is Lou Reed as gay Broscht belt standup comedian, funny as hell in small doses, and not for the squeamish or intolerant. "If you write as good as you talk, nobody reads ya!" "Who tightened this microphone? It must be Godzilla! ... I better grow an inch or meet a boyfriend." "I spend a year on a record so I can get a B+ from some @#$%& in the Village Voice? ... What does Robert Christgau do in bed? Is he a toef-cker?" "Which Lou am I today? Lou number one or Lou number five?"

"F*** Radio Ethiopa I'm radio Brooklyn" and my personal favourite "here's f***ing Barbra Streisand..."I want to thank all those little people"...F*** her and the little people. I like big people, F*** short people and tall people, man, I like middle people..."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 7, 2011 16:57

No man, and I mean No one is close to Pete's attack ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 7, 2011 16:59

I love the WHO and Pete, and I think the LEEDS boxset is incredible. I got it for Christmas and it brought me back to when I first bought the LIVE AT LEEDS album and wore it out in the 70's. I agree that these VS threads are boring and useless, especially in this case because it makes you choose when clearly there's no reason to!! It's a case of Keith AND Pete not one above the other.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 7, 2011 17:28

How about we make this Taylor vs Townshend?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 7, 2011 17:30

or how about a Tax Audit vs. watching 10 consecutive hours of The View?

Date: April 7, 2011 17:34

Are you going to run for governor of California?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: belld ()
Date: April 7, 2011 17:39

Early to mid seventies, Glasgow Greens/Apollo Theatre. Seen both bands several times. The Who raised the roof, the Stones blew it off. Only an opinion.

Date: April 7, 2011 17:41

And what did Sex Pistols do for them Roofs?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: April 7, 2011 18:42

This is like comparing apples and hand grenades. I love both bands, for different reasons.

If you listen to The Who in their live prime though, '68 - 71 or so, there is a
consistency that the Stones sometimes lacked night to night. The fact that they
were basically a power trio with a vocalist and the huge sound they achieved,
is still impressive.

Makes me wonder what live sound Mick with just Keith, Charlie and Bill might
have produced ( I suppose a bootleg or two of those notorious Brian-less
concerts might be out there ).

The Stones generally needed utility players live, The Who actually sucked once
they went beyond a supplemental keyboard player. That's why those 2000 Who shows
were so great, they went back to the basics (Zak's addition helped too).

Two great bands...

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 7, 2011 19:46

shakeydeal

I believe that "those notorious Brian-less concerts" are probably a figment of Keith's imagination... True, Keith may have been the only guitar during several songs at concerts, but judging by the 1966-1967 bootlegs that we've heard, Brian more than made up for things in other ways, & until I hear audio evidence I remain unconvinced that Brian was too out of it to play.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:21

Prior to Mick Taylor Joining the Stones the most important guitar in the early Stones was Keith Richards. He played almost all guitar solos
Until Mick Taylor. The Last Time is a Richards solo. Time is on my Side is a Richards Solo. It's all over now was a Richards Solo.
All the Chuck Berry style songs Richards played the Solo. The exception were the blues song where Brian Jones played in opening turning's.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:28

Rocknroll1969
Prior to Mick Taylor Joining the Stones the most important guitar in the early Stones was Keith Richards. He played almost all guitar solos
Until Mick Taylor. The Last Time is a Richards solo. Time is on my Side is a Richards Solo. It's all over now was a Richards Solo.
All the Chuck Berry style songs Richards played the Solo. The exception were the blues song where Brian Jones played in opening turning's.

brian played the lead on time is on my side. keith talked about that during the '81 tour when they rekindled the tune and he took the leads.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:29

To the poster who asked if The Sex Pistols took the roof off... (above)

If you mean the roof of Greens Playhouse (later the Glasgow Apollo), the Pistols didn't play under it. They were supposed to, in December 1976 on the 'Anarchy' tour, but the gig was cancelled by Glasgow's city fathers.

There was a rather good quote from the chairman of the council's licensing committee. "We feel we have enough problems in Glasgow without importing yobbos from England."

Anyway, back on topic...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-07 20:30 by Thricenay.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 7, 2011 20:45

Sleepy City
shakeydeal

I believe that "those notorious Brian-less concerts" are probably a figment of Keith's imagination... True, Keith may have been the only guitar during several songs at concerts, but judging by the 1966-1967 bootlegs that we've heard, Brian more than made up for things in other ways, & until I hear audio evidence I remain unconvinced that Brian was too out of it to play.

No, it's documented in several places that Brian missed a bunch of shows due to illness on the 64 and 65 American tours.

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: April 7, 2011 21:37

For me the Stones don't even become contenders for best live R&R band until Mr. Taylor enters the picture. His tasteful playing combined with the songwriting/riffs that Keith developed, and Mick J. also utilized soon thereafter, from the 5 string open tunings were the missing ingredients. The songs became more anthemic (something
shared with Mr. Townshend ).

The Stones are a natural evolution of Rock & Roll (and they are/were so much more).

The Who are the foundation of what would become Rock (with musical roots less evident in final composition). Keith Moon the greatest surf drummer ever? You bet...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 8, 2011 02:27

Zack
Sleepy City
shakeydeal

No, it's documented in several places that Brian missed a bunch of shows due to illness on the 64 and 65 American tours.

In Bill's book there's a list of every show the Stones ever played and he notes in parenthesis the ones they did without Brian. There's a surprisingly large number of them.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home