Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The "T.A.M.I. Show" at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles August 17th, 2014
Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: July 26, 2014 20:44

A good friend of mine, Harvey Kubernik, has just published a book "TURN UP THE RADIO: L.A. ROCK" (Santa Monica Press). It "captures the zeitgeist of Los Angeles rock and pop between the years of 1956 and 1972 – an era of unprecedented growth and creativity in the record industry."

As part of the launch, the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles is hosted a series of events August 13th - August 17th. [www.americancinemathequecalendar.com]

On Thursday Aug 14th they're showing The T.A.M.I. Show, followed by a discussion with the director, Steve Binder.

Tribute to Steve Binder! 50th Anniversary! THE T.A.M.I. SHOW, 1964, 123 min. Dir. Steve Binder. The Rolling Stones, James Brown, The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry and The Supremes were among the top acts who took the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium stage for the Teenage Awards Music International Show, captured in “Electronovision.” This priceless cross-section of Top 40 radio at its mid-’60s peak offers northern and southern soul, rock ’n’ roll, surf, garage and British Invasion hits in one of the most legendary concert movies ever made. Unquestionably the grooviest, wildest, most exciting beat blast on the National Film Registry!

Discussion following with director Steve Binder, moderated by John Landis, who attended the original concert.

The other events for that week are:

Wednesday, August 13 – 7:30 PM

The Doors! LIVE AT THE BOWL ’68, 2012, Eagle Rock Entertainment, 71 min. Dir. Ray Manzarek. A legendary band, an iconic venue! With their Waiting for the Sun album fresh in stores, The Doors made a triumphant appearance at the Hollywood Bowl on July 5, 1968. The L.A. quartet was at the peak of its powers that night, balancing hit singles including “Light My Fire” and “Hello, I Love You” with epic renditions of “When the Music's Over” and “The End.” Painstakingly restored from original camera negatives and remixed from multi-tracks by the group’s longtime engineer, Bruce Botnick,this mesmerizing film presents the historic concert in its entirety for the first time. Program begins with a slide show by rock photographer Henry Diltz, who will share his classic images of The Doors and other L.A. music icons. Film begins at 8:15 PM.

Saturday, August 16 – 7:30 PM

The Seeds! World Premiere! PUSHIN’ TOO HARD, 2014, GNP Crescendo, 110 min. Dir. Neil Norman. Beginning in the mid-1960s, The Seeds spread a web of sound from the Sunset Strip to the rest of the country with such anthems of teen frustration as “Pushin’ Too Hard” and “Can’t Seem to Make You Mine.” Fronted by the sneering, attitude-laden delivery of charismatic lead singer Sky Saxon, the band’s driving sound would help lay the groundwork for punk. This definitive documentary on The Seeds follows the quartet’s bizarre odyssey from rags to riches to rags again - and ultimately their rediscovery by new generations of garage-rock fans - using vintage television and concert performances, rare photos and recent interviews with all of the group’s original members, as well as fans and observers including Iggy Pop, Kim Fowley, Johnny Echols of Love and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys. Discussion following with director Neil Norman, producer Alec Palao and Seeds members Daryl Hooper and Jan Savage, moderated by Kirk Silsbee.

Sunday, August 17 – 7:30 PM

Frank Zappa! World Premiere! “Bunny Bunny Bunny”(ca. 1987, 20 min.) Directed and produced by Frank Zappa, this one-camera shoot stars daughter Moon Zappa (a couple of years after their radio hit “Valley Girl”) in improvised dialogue with her best friend Kyle Richards and her cousin Lala Sloatman. “Cheepnis” (1973, 10 min.) Featuring the only footage Zappa cut together from his legendary 1973 Roxy concerts, “Cheepnis” sings the praises of low-budget monster movies. This short documents the director, bandleader, songwriter and musician at work. Followed by: 200 MOTELS, 1971, United Artists, 98 min. Dir. Frank Zappa. “Touring can make you crazy. That's what 200 MOTELS is all about,” noted Frank Zappa, a mad scientist constantly pushing the boundaries of music and film. 200 MOTELS, a surrealistic documentary of life on the road conceived, written and scored by Frank Zappa, features The Mothers of Invention with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and was filmed live (200 MOTELS is the first feature shot on video in six days and transferred to film; cameras were directed by Tony Palmer). Some of Zappa's favorite topics - groupies, mundane Americana, inside jokes – crop up all over this film, with musical interludes to provide transcending breaks where things such as place, time and plot are forgotten. With Theodore Bikel, Keith Moon, and Ringo Starr as Larry the Dwarf disguised as Frank Zappa. Discussion following with Gail Zappa.

Series programmed by John Hagelston, Harvey Kubernik and Grant Moninger. Program notes by John Hagelston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-27 02:11 by bigtyke66.

Re: The "T.A.M.I. Show" at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles August 17th, 2014
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 26, 2014 20:58

The TAMI show would be so cool to see on the big screen!!!

Re: The "T.A.M.I. Show" at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles August 17th, 2014
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2014 06:06

...esp if they got the air-con switched to 11 ......

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home