Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: I'm Free
Posted by: René ()
Date: April 4, 2011 10:12

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

I’m Free
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, September 6, 1965

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric guitar
Jack Nitzsche - organ
James W. Alexander - tambourine

I'm free to do what I want any old time
I'm free to do what I want any old time
So love me, hold me, love me, hold me
But I'm free, any old time, to get what I want

I'm free to sing my song tho' it’s out of time
I'm free to sing my song tho' it’s out of time
So love me, hold me, love me, hold me
But I'm free any old time to get what I want, yeah

Love me, hold me, love me, hold me
Cause I'm free any old time to get what I want

I'm free to choose what I please any old time
I'm free to please who I choose any old time
So hold me, love me, love me, hold me
But I'm free any old time to get what I want, yes I am

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Out Of Our Heads” LP
(Decca SKL 4733) UK, September 24, 1965

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-12 14:55 by René.

Re: Track Talk: I'm Free
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 4, 2011 11:36

It puzzles me that three versions of this song are available on live documents: on Get yer ya-ya's out,
Stripped and Shine a Light. What makes this song special enough to give it this treatment?
I mean, I think it's a nice song, but compared to stage favorites like All down the line
or Gimme Shelter, I think it is a bit overexposed.
What is the added value of adding it to the Shine a Light album?

BTW, I liked the cover The Soup Dragons did of the song:

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2011 12:15

>> Get Yer Ya-Yas Out [the reissue], Stripped and Shine a Light <<

and Stones in the Park, where playing it on the same bill with Have Mercy was an interesting choice.
like you, marcovandereijk, i never quite got why the band loves this number so much,
but ... well, they are the Stones and we're not! so i try to figure out what i'm missing.
and since the Shine a Light rendition taught me a lot about how to love this number,
someone in the equation is improving :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 13:49 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 4, 2011 12:48

The best & most soulful version ever imo... Like flying back in a time machine. smiling smiley

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 4, 2011 13:57

with sssoul
and Stones in the Park, where playing it on the same bill with Have Mercy was an interesting choice.

I thought the biggest "wtf?" at Hyde Park was 'Down Home Girl'. This as far as I know was never part of their live repertoire in the Brian Jones era (unlike 'Have Mercy'), & at least 'I'm Free' fit in with the vibes of the time...

I actually think this is one of the few RS songs where the best version is the originally released studio cut (I particularly dislike the draggy 1969-1970 versions).

A great song, lyrically ahead of it's time.

Date: April 4, 2011 14:03

what i meant was that Have Mercy and I'm Free are musically very similar
so playing them during the same show was an unusual choice to make. subtly risky, as it were.

lyrically ahead of its time indeed ... but ... well, never mind! :E

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 4, 2011 14:06

with sssoul
what i meant was that Have Mercy and I'm Free are musically very similar
so playing them during the same show was an unusual choice to make. subtly risky, as it were.

Good point. Maybe that's why they slowed 'I'm Free' down, to make it a little less similar?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 4, 2011 14:14

For me this great song is the Flip-side on 'Get off of my cloud'-single...
First song we pick with my first garage-band 1979 also...2 chords...3 on the bridge....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 4, 2011 14:31

>> James W. Alexander - tambourine <<

by the way, that's the same James W Alexander who wrote Let's Go Steady, which Keith sang with the New Barbarians

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 4, 2011 15:37

What a lovely gem of a song. The Stones are right to include this in a lot of their live documents: to me, the Rolling Stones (and rock and roll in general) are really about freedom more than anything else. And this song nails it. No posturing, just a gorgeous melody and wonderful instrumental touches. The version on Stripped is great too, and the '69 live version that Amsterdamned posted is so soulful and heartfelt, it can bring a tear to the eye.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 16:10 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 4, 2011 16:03

It's got a lovely lazy, laconic style but what makes it for me is that big, booming rhythm guitar - presumably Brian - that fills the sound. The song is also special to me as you can hear the past in its slowed down r'n'b groove but also hear echoes of the future, especially the beginnings of psychedelic pop which is just waiting round the corner on Aftermath. So one foot in Chicago and the other in Carnaby Street. Yes, a hit for me. thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2011 16:47

with sssoul
>> Get Yer Ya-Yas Out [the reissue], Stripped and Shine a Light <<

like you, marcovandereijk, i never quite got why the band loves this number so much,
but ... well, they are the Stones and we're not! so i try to figure out what i'm missing.
and since the Shine a Light rendition taught me a lot about how to love this number,
someone in the equation is improving :E

I don't think they love it all that much. They went decades without playing it live.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 4, 2011 17:01

fun little ditty...a reminder that simplicity is often sublime....

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: April 4, 2011 18:06

I used this song to break up with my girlfriend. We where having an argument and I said it was over between us. Then I put a dime in the juke box and played this song. Yes, this was a long time ago.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 4, 2011 19:18

I love the original version, so fresh and lively, I don't like the 69' slowed-down version...Taylor plays too many notes during the solo or something.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: April 4, 2011 20:13

I love the everyday triumph of the song. 'I'm free to do what I want any old time' over the gentle surges of the melody and the lovely shimmering guitars.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 4, 2011 20:26

when it comes to I'm Free - check out how different is Mick Taylor's solo from Oakland and any other '69 show. I love that Oakland version a lot! much more lyrical...

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 4, 2011 20:29

for me the best version is the hyde park version. i like it even more than the 1969 tour version. it is played very rough. I don't like the new versions at all (stripped and shine a light)...

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 4, 2011 22:07

Stanley Booth always maintained that playing I'm Free was quite disingenuous of the Stones on the 69 tour.

I find it hard to believe the big fat rhythm guitar alluded to on the studio version was not Keith.

Feel free to disagree.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: April 5, 2011 00:16

Zack
Stanley Booth always maintained that playing I'm Free was quite disingenuous of the Stones on the 69 tour.

I find it hard to believe the big fat rhythm guitar alluded to on the studio version was not Keith.

Feel free to disagree.

There are two guitars on this song, the lead picking part and the shimmering rhythm. It's my guess that Keith does the lead and Brian the rhythm, unless we want to believe Keith did all guitars. I think Brian was still very much involved with playing guitar in mid-1965.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: April 5, 2011 00:18

Classic Stones track. One of my favorites. thumbs up

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: April 5, 2011 01:10

I like it! I don't know exactly why, but I always hear the echo of 'Suspicious minds' when I hear 'I'm Free'. Stones track came first, anyway.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 01:11

I remember very clearly my response to I'm Free and Prodigal Son during the '69 show. Even then I thought the song was a bit of pandering to the sensibilities of the time. It's probably the closest the band got to sounding like the Dead. I know the song is supposed to have a broader implication, but for a cash-strapped teenager I thought "That's easy for you to say."

On the other hand Prodigal Son was a very off message song for the times. Somewhat like The Band's "Tears of Rage."

But years later I'm Free's point of interest became what Taylor got to do with it. That little 22 second Ya-Ya's solo is so sweet.

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: April 5, 2011 05:19

This was my favorite song off of my first boot back in 1978 mainly because it wasn't included on Ya Yas. I totally love the mood and the different tempo from the original that they played on the early part of the '69 tour. I wish they wouldn't of dropped it. I was also dissapointed in the medley with Under my thumb because it lacked that melodic mood that the Oakland shows had. It also seems so rushed in the medley and is not as relaxed and beautiful as it was originally played on the tour. Much credit to the brilliant solo by Taylor. It stands alone on the early shows of the tour for me but am grateful that they at least brought it back as a medley than to not play it at all. So glad that it was included in the GYYYO deluxe edition.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 5, 2011 07:19

when I hear this track, I always think of a "Greatest Hits Vol. 1" LP that I first heard it on, kind of a reddish cover with separate portraits of the band members. Not really sure what the status of it was, as it wasn't in the canonical High Tide or Past Darkly series. Maybe a European import, but it appeared if anything cheaper. "Good Times, Bad Times" was also on there.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 5, 2011 18:24

Best version was the (second?) Oakland show in '69 on Liver than you'll ever be. M Taylor sublime on that one, had a little west coast quicksilver messenger/grateful dead feel to it.

Then best video was of them lip-synching it on the Red Skelton show at the London Palladium. But then again, I always liked Red Skelton anyway.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 18:42

I thinks it's rather a silly little song, but I recently got (out of my local library) the box set of GET YER YA YAS OUT and enjoyed the "new" recording where Under my Thumb "morphs" into I'm Free.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2011 19:53

Kirk
I like it! I don't know exactly why, but I always hear the echo of 'Suspicious minds' when I hear 'I'm Free'. Stones track came first, anyway.

Because of the I/IV chord strumming. It's a bit similar.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 5, 2011 21:55

As far as a set list goes,I quite enjoyed Hyde Park. Down Home Girl is just some of that gut-bucket funk that the Stones pull off so easily. I wished they would have kept it on the US 69 tour instead of I'm Free(although "Free' grows on me) I always thought how strange it was that "Under My Thumb" was in the 69 live set and also part of the HOT ROCKS line-up. Not because I dont love the song but since it was never a single in it's original form.

Date: April 5, 2011 22:01

>> I always thought how strange it was that "Under My Thumb" was in the 69 live set <<

it's that guitar line - Keith loves it.
it recurs a lot in his music - in Gimmie Shelter for example

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home