Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT B.B. King
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:24

[www.nme.com]

Just seen this, anyone know what went on?

Re: OT B.B. King
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:26

that's sad

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:27

Yeah thats what i was thinkn too

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:29

Oh, man. This could easily be merged into that Chuck Berry thread from the other day. I love BB King, he's one of my favourite musicians ever, but I wish he'd just retire. Surely no-one wants to see him in this state.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:35

Without going to far away, here too there are many people who are convinced that its a "rip off" if they don't receive tot impeccable executed notes or minutes of music per $$ they have spent for the ticket.

C

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:36

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 20:31

Well, the article is obviously writen just for the sake of writing an article. Even the photo is obviously taken from the audience YouTube video posted above (the first second).

It tries to make a scandalous story out of nothing, it doesn't say pretty much anything. The description of the gig sounds like a normal BB show as it has been for the past few years. When I saw BB two or three years ago it was definitely not the best show ever but it had its moments that made it very much worth it. Judging from the Youtube video the "scandalous" show was pretty much a normal gig and I seriously doubt that "fans walked out during the 88-year-old blues legend's erratic gig." I bet that one or two people went to the bathroom and here we have a scandalous story craving for an attention. I don't see anything wrong with the YouTube clip, except that it unfortunately starts with a long band introduction.

When I saw the first post, I was really affraid that something bad happend to BB. Thanks God it is not the case. Long live BB, we love you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 20:33 by Happy24.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: April 8, 2014 20:49

I stopped seeing him (or Johnny Winter) and many others Jeff Beck ZZ Top (including the Stones) because for me the magic is gone. just my opinion

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 8, 2014 20:55

Stoneburst
Oh, man. This could easily be merged into that Chuck Berry thread from the other day. I love BB King, he's one of my favourite musicians ever, but I wish he'd just retire. Surely no-one wants to see him in this state.

Are you kidding me?

B.B can still play and CB can´t at all.

It´s impossible to compare the clip above with recent clips of Chuck playing like a three year old and totally out of key.

Date: April 8, 2014 20:58

Happy24
Well, the article is obviously writen just for the sake of writing an article. Even the photo is obviously taken from the audience YouTube video posted above (the first second).

It tries to make a scandalous story out of nothing, it doesn't say pretty much anything. The description of the gig sounds like a normal BB show as it has been for the past few years. When I saw BB two or three years ago it was definitely not the best show ever but it had its moments that made it very much worth it. Judging from the Youtube video the "scandalous" show was pretty much a normal gig and I seriously doubt that "fans walked out during the 88-year-old blues legend's erratic gig." I bet that one or two people went to the bathroom and here we have a scandalous story craving for an attention. I don't see anything wrong with the YouTube clip, except that it unfortunately starts with a long band introduction.

When I saw the first post, I was really affraid that something bad happend to BB. Thanks God it is not the case. Long live BB, we love you!

Wonderful with somebody else with a music ear here!

Compare this performance with CB current playing is nothing but a big joke.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2014 20:59

JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneburst

Are you kidding me?

It´s impossible to compare the clip above with recent clips of Chuck playing like a three year old and totally out of key.

for you it sounds like 'the thrill is gone', for Chuck.

Date: April 8, 2014 21:05

treaclefingers
JumpinJeppeFlash
Stoneburst

Are you kidding me?

for you it sounds like 'the thrill is gone', for Chuck.

And you must be tonedeaf if you for real think Chuck Berry can still play guitar.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 9, 2014 06:17

What is with all the CRUELTY invading IORR?

What can one expect from someone in their 80's? That they should sound like they did thirty or 40 years ago?

Are these negative posts from experts or just people with too much time on their hands?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:14

stonesrule
What is with all the CRUELTY invading IORR?

Thank you, stonesrule, I've been wondering the same thing.

And personally, I think anybody who wants to keep playing (not because their manager or their family or even their fans want them to) should keep right on doing it until the very second they pop their clogs, probably smiling happily.

Date: April 9, 2014 10:42

I watched the BB-video, and couldn't find anything wrong with the gig confused smiley

He still plays beautifully.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 9, 2014 12:02

JumpinJeppeFlash

Er, no, it's perfectly possible. BB these days is nowhere near as bad as Chuck Berry, I agree, but it doesn't take much time scouring YouTube to find plenty of clips from recent shows that are pretty painful to listen to nonetheless.

As for stonesrule's post, bollocks. The majority of discussions like this take place not on boards like IORR but on various guitar forums, amongst people who grew up worshipping BB King and Chuck Berry and copping their licks. Cruelty is one thing, wanting to remember these guys as they once were - and wishing they knew when to retire, because we all have to sometime - is quite another.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 9, 2014 12:19

dadrob
I stopped seeing him (or Johnny Winter) and many others Jeff Beck ZZ Top (including the Stones) because for me the magic is gone. just my opinion

I was lucky enough to see Jeff Beck last October from the front row. He has lost nothing & is still pushing boundaries. Judging by the new song that he played, I think the new album is going to be a very pleasant surprise to all.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 9, 2014 13:35

jeff beck happens to be twenty years younger than B.B.KING and Chuck Berry

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 9, 2014 14:29

When I will be 80, I wish I could play the guitar like BB King does in the video above.

For what matters, I wish I could play the guitar now like BB King does in the video above!

BB rules!

C

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 9, 2014 15:46

He has played with all the greats. Time to go home and sit in the rocking chair,

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 9, 2014 17:26

DandelionPowderman
I watched the BB-video, and couldn't find anything wrong with the gig confused smiley

He still plays beautifully.

He still one of the best, but I think most of people would want to see him playing like he did on the old days:

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 06:40

BB King as great as he is has always been to "by the book" for me. Give me Elmore James or even Jimmy Reed for real dangerous I almost lost it there for a second blues, every time. Even though Reed played a completely different simple style of music from James it always sounded sincere and you have to love that braying horn and the simple but somehow fantastic harp solos. His guitar was simple really but unique in a way and once you hear him you can tell instantly why the Stones held him in such high regard. That's where they learned that lonely melencoly sad sound from their earlier records and I never realized for years Jimmy was the one they tried so hard to sound like.
Then there's the bands connection to Elmore James king of the slide guitar. Check out Elmore's singniture tune Dust My Broom and you'll hear instantly where Brian took his chop's from. Brian even called himself Elmore Louis when he first began playing in the London circuit and that's the Brian Mick and Keith first met. Elmore James had a sound like no other, always threatening to go off the rails at any second, and I believe that Jagger shaped his public persona alot in the style of Elmore's? Rock was meant to be played sloppily and Elmore James was the sloppiest coolest greatest sounding most exciting thing around during his time. Much better than by the book BB King or even God forbid Muddy Waters

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:51

or Little Walter when we're talking about dangerous... now that was a cat who could do it as well....

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: April 16, 2014 04:05

...as Bob Dylan said to Mike Bloomfield before the joined the band for Newport Folk Festival in 1965, "I don't want to hear any of that BB King shit".

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 16, 2014 04:14

liddas
When I will be 80, I wish I could play the guitar like BB King does in the video above.

... I'll just be glad to be 80.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home