Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Boogie 4 Stu album details
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:16

Eagle Records is delighted to release Boogie 4 Stu on 11 April 2011. The album is in tribute to pianist Ian Stewart, a founding member of the Rolling Stones, who went on to serve as their long-term road manager. Boogie 4 Stu was dreamt up and produced by fellow pianist Ben Waters, a member The A, B, C and D of Boogie Woogie, which also features Charlie Watts. The album is released to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation, and is released near the 25th anniversary of Stewart’s death. The album is mixed by Glyn Johns and the front cover is a newly commissioned portrait of Ian Stewart by Sir Peter Blake.

Initially planned by Waters as a solo album, Boogie 4 Stu soon took on a life of its own. When I told Charlie Watts that I was going to record the album, he asked to be on it. I asked Jools Holland if I could hire his studio. He said ‘No’, but that I could have it for free and that he would like to play on the album too, as Ian was a mate. Letters to other friends and former colleagues of Stu outlining the project elicited the simple response, Where do we need to be and when? Ben Waters, of course, plays on every track and is joined on one by his cousin PJ Harvey. Waters says, Everyone who is on the ’Boogie 4 Stu' album knew Ian Stewart really well, in fact most told me that he was their best mate! Despite this I felt many music fans need an introduction to the man and his music. To some he was a roadie that played a bit of piano, to his friends and fans the opposite was true. Most of the music on the album was laid down live, after no more than a couple of takes, and the atmosphere in the studio was fantastic.

The album highlight for many will be the version of Bob Dylan’s song Watchin’ The River Flow. This features Mick Jagger on vocals & harmonica, Keith Richards on guitar, Charlie Watts on drums, Ronnie Wood on guitar and Bill Wyman on bass.It’s the first time Wyman has recorded with his former colleagues since 1992. As well as his work with the Rolling Stones, Ian Stewart played with a host of other talents including Led Zeppelin [this album is named after their track ‘Boogie With Stu’], Howlin’ Wolf, The Yardbirds, his own band Rocket88 and more. Keith Richards said, Ian Stewart. I’m still working for him. To me the Rolling Stones is his band. Without his knowledge and organization … we’d be nowhere.

TRACKLISTING

1) BOOGIE WOOGIE STOMP (ALBERT AMMONS)
PIANO – BEN WATERS

2) ROOMIN HOUSE BOOGIE (AMOS MILBURN)
KEITH RICHARDS – GUITAR
BILL WYMAN – BASS
BEN WATERS – PIANO, VOCALS
ADY MILWARD – DRUMS
DEREK NASH – SAX
CLIVE ASHLEY – SAX

3) WORRIED LIFE BLUES (BIG MACEO)
CHARLIE WATTS – DRUMS
KEITH RICHARDS – VOCALS
RONNIE WOOD – VOCALS, GUITARS
DAVE GREEN – DOUBLE BASS
JOOLS HOLLAND – HAMMOND ORGAN
WILLY GARNET – SAX
DON WELLOR – SAX
BEN WATERS – PIANO

4) BOOGIE FOR STU (WATERS, HOLLAND)
BEN WATERS – PIANO
JOOLS HOLLAND – PIANO
DAVE GREEN – DOUBLE BASS
CHARLIE WATTS – DRUMS
WILLY GARNET – SAX
DON WELLOR – SAX

5) MAKE ME A PALLET (JIMMY YANCEY)
JOOLS HOLLAND – PIANO, VOCALS
BEN WATERS – HAMMOND ORGAN
DAVE GREEN – DOUBLE BASS
CHARLIE WATTS – DRUMS
WILLY GARNET – SAX
DON WELLOR – SAX
ALEX GARNET – BARITONE SAX

6) MIDNIGHT BLUES (TRAD)
CHARLIE WATTS – DRUMS
JOOLS HOLLAND – PIANO
BEN WATERS – PIANO

7) LONELY AVENUE (RAY CHARLES) RECORDED ON STU’S PIANO
PJ HARVEY VOCALS, BV’S SAX
BEN WATERS, PIANO, ORGAN, BV’S

8) WATCHIN THE RIVER FLOW (BOB DYLAN)
KEITH RICHARDS – GUITAR
MICK JAGGER – VOCALS, HARMONICA
CHARLIE WATTS – DRUMS
RONNIE WOOD – GUITAR
BILL WYMAN – BASS
BEN WATERS – PIANO
TOM WATERS – ALTO SAX
WILLY GARNET – SAX
DON WELLOR – SAX
ALEX GARNET – BARITONE SAX
DAVE SWIFT – TAMBOURINE

9) ROLL EM’ PETE (BIG JOE TURNER)
HAMISH MAXWELL – VOCALS
CHARLIE WATTS – DRUMS
DAVE GREEN – DOUBLE BASS
JOOLS HOLLAND – PIANO
BEN WATERS – PIANO
WILLY GARNET – SAX
DON WELLOR – SAX
TERRY TAYLOR – GUITAR

10 SUITCASE BLUES (ALBERT AMMONNS)
BEN WATERS – PIANO

11 BRING IT ON HOME (SAM COOKE)
IAN STEWART LIVE FROM MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL WITH ROCKET 88

-----

See the full report:

Ben Waters :- Boogie 4 Stu , Tribute album to Stones pianist and stalwart Ian Stewart, featuring host of stars

[cheltjules.wordpress.com]

Bjornulf

Re: Boogie 4 Stu album details
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:21

This really sounds great................

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:22

> This features Mick Jagger on vocals & harmonica, Keith Richards on guitar, Charlie Watts on drums, Ronnie Wood on guitar and Bill Wyman on bass.It’s the first time Wyman has recorded with his former colleagues since 1992.

:-)

Posted by: Sleepy City ()

Were all members actually in the studio together for 'Watchin' The River Flow'?

Excuse me if the question has been answered elsewhere...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()

Looks fantastic, and about time too. Some great musicians paying tribute to the salt of the earth - Thanks for the info Bv

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:44

Wow, this is fantastic! I didn't know Glyn Johns was on board. That's great.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 13, 2011 22:51

Sleepy City
Were all members actually in the studio together for 'Watchin' The River Flow'?

Excuse me if the question has been answered elsewhere...

No - Mick recorded his part in the South of France without even meeting Ben and Keith recorded his in NYC.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2011 07:31

Any personnel listing available for "Kidney Stew" and "Chicago Calling" (two bonus tracks on Japanese version)?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:15

Glam Descendant
Any personnel listing available for "Kidney Stew" and "Chicago Calling" (two bonus tracks on Japanese version)?

Kidney Stew
BEN WATERS
CHARLIE WATTS
JOOLS HOLLAND
DAVE GREEN
WILLY GARNET
DON WELLOR
ALEX GARNET
& others

Chicago Calling From Montreux Jazz Festival 1984 with Rocket88
WILLY GARNET
IAN STEWART
ROGER SUTTON
JIMMY ROCHE
CLIVE TUCKER
JOHN PICARD
& others

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 08:19 by Toru A.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:18

Thanks! Stu on "Chicago Calling" -- what's the story there?

Was Roger Sutton in Utopia?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 14, 2011 10:24

Here's a link to the Japanise version

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

seems a bit odd though,mentioning bonus tracks on the Japanise version,after all the Natural disaster mayhem.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 14, 2011 11:01

Wow, this could be the most exciting album of the year!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:26

I like it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:44

Amused
> This features Mick Jagger on vocals & harmonica, Keith Richards on guitar, Charlie Watts on drums, Ronnie Wood on guitar and Bill Wyman on bass.It’s the first time Wyman has recorded with his former colleagues since 1992.

:-)
Funny, I remeber they used to call themselves with some kind of a collective name when those gentlemen used to play together... now, it's just a group of individuals...grinning smiley

I wonder if Wyman wouldn't have included, would have they called themselves now with that name...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Date: March 14, 2011 12:48

Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but can we Stonelogists in future call "Watchin The River Flow" a work of the Rolling Stones or not, or should we consider it barely belonging to their solo recording projects...???!!!!

A funny dilemma!!!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: March 14, 2011 12:50

Doxa
Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but can we Stonelogists in future call "Watchin The River Flow" a work of the Rolling Stones or not, or should we consider it barely belonging to their solo recording projects...???!!!!

A funny dilemma!!!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Yet there's a discussion elsewhere on 'Hurricane', supposedly a "Rolling Stones" recording, despite only featuring two members. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 12:55 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:54

Surely the credits for Watching The River Flow should read something like: The Rolling Stones Feat. Bill Wyman?

If Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are featured together, then surely it should go down as a Rolling Stones recording? Or maybe not?

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:54

I don't care as long as it is at least one of them. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:56

Sleepy City

Yet there's a discussion elsewhere on 'Hurricane', supposedly a "Rolling Stones@ recording, despite only featuring two members. confused smiley

If was recorded by two members of the Rolling Stones during sessions for a specific Stones project - 40 Licks - then, IMO, it is a Rolling Stones recording.

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:59

Big Al,
Actually you are right. But then again, Lonely at the top will never be played live by The Stones I suppose.

Date: March 14, 2011 13:04

In theory Big Al is right, but wasn't 'The Harder They Come' (& 'Run Rudolph Run'?) recorded during the Rolling Stones 'Some Girls' sessions?

I'm sure there's been other projects / songs that have crossed over from solo to Rolling Stones & vice versa.

Date: March 14, 2011 13:28

Big Al
Surely the credits for Watching The River Flow should read something like: The Rolling Stones Feat. Bill Wyman?

If Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are featured together, then surely it should go down as a Rolling Stones recording? Or maybe not?

I think we need to do a distinction between the "official" Rolling Stones and the "real" Rolling Stones. If technically it is not the The Stones at all or "The Stones featuring Bill Wyman" or something like that, in the musical reality is is The Stones and first time since 1991 playing there no matter what you call them!

Personally I don't have difficulties in drawing that distinction since I don't think The Rolling Stones being any band or a musical entity for a long time...

Another oddity in that record: Is there any other track in recorded reality where you can have only Bill Wyman and Keith Richards of The Stones, and no one else... Actually we all who had speculated Keith's condition lately, going to be all ears listening to the guitar work of "Roomin House Blues"...

But most definitively, the albums sounds (=looks) absolutely stunning... It looks like that we have another superb Stones-related item in front of us. I am a ig fan of The Stones ouput in during this decade. Forget the sad noughties!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 13:36 by Doxa.

Date: March 14, 2011 13:30

And one more thing. Thanks Stu for bringing the boys back again! Since your passing the boys been kind of lost, but your spirit seem to "re-unite" them again, at least for a one song...

- Doxa

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: March 14, 2011 14:28

Big Al

Think it should be credited "Ben Waters featuring The Rolling Stones + others".

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 14, 2011 17:38

Is there a US release scheduled from Eagle Records as well?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 14, 2011 18:10

Thanks for the head's up on this BV! Maybe the most under-appreciated musician out there (by the public), who carried himself well.

I will start looking for a US release..and if no one here will carry it, buy it when I am in Europe this Summer.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: March 14, 2011 18:26

Sleepy City
In theory Big Al is right, but wasn't 'The Harder They Come' (& 'Run Rudolph Run'?) recorded during the Rolling Stones 'Some Girls' sessions?

I'm sure there's been other projects / songs that have crossed over from solo to Rolling Stones & vice versa.

Run Rudolp Run was recorded 76 I think and none of the other stones are involved (Stu is on it)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 14, 2011 19:41

the Japanese SHM version of the release with the two extra numbers on it: [www.hmv.co.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-18 11:27 by with sssoul.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 14, 2011 20:34

Given the live show clips posted here it's too bad Mick Taylor wasn't involved in the recording.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 15, 2011 03:19

with sssoul
the Japanese SHM version of the release has two extra numbers on it: [www.hmv.co.jp]

with sssoul,

Thank you for your get-well comment. I'm okey-dokey.

This is also the information about double vinyl album in double paper jacket.
Boogie 4 Stu Vinyl

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home