Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tokyo 2 Fan Song Vote
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 3, 2014 09:57

SILVER TRAIN
ALL DOWN THE LINE
RESPECTABLE
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
YOU GOT ME ROCKING
IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME

Re: Tokyo 2 Fan Song Vote
Posted by: maradona ()
Date: March 3, 2014 10:04

Another run for YGMR, Jesper? grinning smiley

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 3, 2014 10:05

maradona
Another run for YGMR, Jesper? grinning smiley

thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 3, 2014 15:31

Either play Silver Train or take it off the list. Is anyone else getting tired of this game? Seriously, if they want to be a greatest hits band then just be one. Don't give the impression there's a chance otherwise. And what's the deal with Mick Taylor, acoustic guitar on Satisfaction. Why bother having him onstage if it's going to be like that. Though I'm happy they're still performing I wish they wouldn't do these kind of things. Oh well.

Date: March 3, 2014 15:58

On Facebook (the Likes) at the moment it looks as though If You Can't Rock Me will win. It's followed by You Got Me Rocking and then Silver Train. Of course that's just the likes on Facebook. I voted on their website for If You Can't Rock Me (my favourite of the list, not played recently) and then again for Silver Train (because of Taylor), but I'm not sure, if the second vote from same IP address counts.

Date: March 3, 2014 16:10

frankotero
Either play Silver Train or take it off the list. Is anyone else getting tired of this game?

As StonesTod already explained last year: The songs for the fan vote are randomly selected by Chuck's iPad! You really want to question that procedure?!

Date: March 3, 2014 16:16

StrawberriesBlueberries
On Facebook (the Likes) at the moment it looks as though If You Can't Rock Me will win. It's followed by You Got Me Rocking and then Silver Train. Of course that's just the likes on Facebook. I voted on their website for If You Can't Rock Me (my favourite of the list, not played recently) and then again for Silver Train (because of Taylor), but I'm not sure, if the second vote from same IP address counts.

Ha ha! grinning smiley

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 3, 2014 16:41

do you really think the only ones who vote are the real hard core fans who attended hundreds of shows? of course I have voted for silver train but I think most of the people who vote here don`t know the song. I don`t think this poll is faked. There are simply more people who vote that don`t know every song...

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 3, 2014 17:04

hockenheim95
do you really think the only ones who vote are the real hard core fans who attended hundreds of shows? of course I have voted for silver train but I think most of the people who vote here don`t know the song. I don`t think this poll is faked. There are simply more people who vote that don`t know every song...

I think they manipulate the vote sometimes. How ironic that Dead Flowers won the vote in Philadelphia last year and there just happened to be a country artist as the special guest. I think it all goes back to 1997 when, as I recall, Star Star was crushing the competition for the webvote for the St. Louis pay per view but then, from out of out nowhere, Waiting On A Friend wins when they happen to have Josh Redman, a saxophonist, as a guest. Hmmm.

Don't put rarities in the web vote. Simple as that. Play them independent of that concept.

The way they do things now this band would never play Moonlight Mile, for example, like they did on No Security. Too risky.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 3, 2014 17:12

fahthree
hockenheim95

I think they manipulate the vote sometimes. How ironic that Dead Flowers won the vote in Philadelphia last year and there just happened to be a country artist as the special guest. I think it all goes back to 1997 when, as I recall, Star Star was crushing the competition for the webvote for the St. Louis pay per view but then, from out of out nowhere, Waiting On A Friend wins when they happen to have Josh Redman, a saxophonist, as a guest. Hmmm.

That was my first show. My dad took me and it blew my mind. I was so pumped to hear Star Star as the web vote and Little Queenie on the b stage... Waiting on a Friend was a betrayal. Ranks up there with the worst things they have ever done.. forget the fact that the fans voted for Star Star, Respectable and She's A Rainbow... just play a ballad instead.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 3, 2014 17:16

fahthree
hockenheim95

Don't put rarities in the web vote. Simple as that. Play them independent of that concept.

The way they do things now this band would never play Moonlight Mile, for example, like they did on No Security. Too risky.

lol...And don't put songs with the word f..ucker in them for live TV in the US. Someone must have realised at the last moment and put 'Waiting on a friend' on speed dial as they say over here (euphemism for fix)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 17:17 by EddieByword.

Date: March 3, 2014 17:22

flacnvinyl

That was my first show. My dad took me and it blew my mind. I was so pumped to hear Star Star as the web vote and Little Queenie on the b stage... Waiting on a Friend was a betrayal. Ranks up there with the worst things they have ever done.. forget the fact that the fans voted for Star Star, Respectable and She's A Rainbow... just play a ballad instead.

That's a cool first show to have. I remember being at college watching it and shaking my head because, hours before, I saw the true nature of the vote. For the Syracuse vote in 1998 Time Is On My Side was winning but the show ended up getting postponed until April and we ended up with a horrendous Star Star.

Date: March 3, 2014 17:22

fahthree
hockenheim95

I don't know anything about the 1997 vote. But Chuck Leavell comments on Dead Flowers (which wan several times, by the way, so it's maybe simply a favourite of many) in Philadelphia 2013 in his diary:

"For our first show in Philly, the guest would be Brad Paisley.
[...] In the mix for our “By Request”, I had put up “Dead Flowers”, and it had won the position. That was the perfect song to do with Brad, so we wound up combining his guest spot
Brad nailed “Dead Flowers” in rehearsal and we touched on a couple of other tunes, then broke from the stage to go back to our dressing rooms." ( Philadelphia 6/15-21/13)

Also he comments on earlier Katy Perry doing Beast of Burden, which had won also:
"Tonight’s guest would be Katy Perry….and she had requested to do “Beast of Burden”….which was cool as we have not done it on the tour yet. Ironically and to our favor, it was also the choice of the fans for the “By Request” part of the show where we give fans 5 songs to vote for in that slot. That helped me to write up a nice set list. I went to Mick’s dressing room around 4 to do a run through with him and Katy. She had a cold and warned us to give her enough space not to pass it on to us…which was thoughtful of her. She was very professional and had done her homework on the song, so the run through was smooth. She graciously agreed to take a photo of me with her, which was much appreciated. Then it was on to the stage for the sound check. We went over a few tunes, eventually getting to her with “Beast….”. We ran through it twice, and she was comfortable, so we moved on to the rest of the check, all happy and ready." (5/11/13)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 17:28 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: March 3, 2014 17:39

So it is really Chuck who suggests the songs for the fan vote... Considering how YGMR changed from a cool guitar rock song (Voodoo Lounge / B2B ) into a piano-oppressed expression of boredom (nowadays), I do not wonder any more why HE puts it into nearly every single fan vote...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 17:39 by maradona.

Date: March 3, 2014 17:51

StrawberriesBlueberries

I don't know anything about the 1997 vote. But Chuck Leavell comments on Dead Flowers (which wan several times, by the way, so it's maybe simply a favourite of many) in Philadelphia 2013 in his diary:

"For our first show in Philly, the guest would be Brad Paisley.
[...] In the mix for our “By Request”, I had put up “Dead Flowers”, and it had won the position. That was the perfect song to do with Brad, so we wound up combining his guest spot
Brad nailed “Dead Flowers” in rehearsal and we touched on a couple of other tunes, then broke from the stage to go back to our dressing rooms." ( Philadelphia 6/15-21/13)

Also he comments on earlier Katy Perry doing Beast of Burden, which had won also:
"Tonight’s guest would be Katy Perry….and she had requested to do “Beast of Burden”….which was cool as we have not done it on the tour yet. Ironically and to our favor, it was also the choice of the fans for the “By Request” part of the show where we give fans 5 songs to vote for in that slot. That helped me to write up a nice set list. I went to Mick’s dressing room around 4 to do a run through with him and Katy. She had a cold and warned us to give her enough space not to pass it on to us…which was thoughtful of her. She was very professional and had done her homework on the song, so the run through was smooth. She graciously agreed to take a photo of me with her, which was much appreciated. Then it was on to the stage for the sound check. We went over a few tunes, eventually getting to her with “Beast….”. We ran through it twice, and she was comfortable, so we moved on to the rest of the check, all happy and ready." (5/11/13)

I don't put much stock into Chuck's diary as a historical record. My first question was when did Katy request to sing Beast? I'm guessing it wasn't that day as her appearance wasn't spontaneous. The inclusion of Beast on the web vote for that show was probably motivated by her desire to sing it. Was the web vote still open when Chuck did the run through with them at 4? Is it still active even when the winner has been decided? What would they have done if Beast hadn't won despite the desire of their guest's wish to sing it? This is all conjecture but the St. Louis vote left a bad taste in my mouth for a fan vote.

As far as Dead Flowers go I was there and it was really good. Just thought it was interesting.

I should add I am enjoying myself immensely analyzing this as I try and kill time at work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 17:52 by fahthree.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: March 3, 2014 18:06

I was at this Philly show and there is NO way Dead Flowers won the vote. No Expectations was way out in front, but Brad Paisley was in the house so they "allowed" Dead Flowers to win.

I agree with other posters, put some of the warhorses in the vote and see which ones are played and which are deleted. That would prove interesting. Say, Honky Tonk Women, Paint It, Black, and Tumbling Dice. Don't need to play all three every night. Play a Moonlight Mile or Silver Train, or a No Expectations more often and delete a warhorse or two through the vote.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:13

fahthree

I don't put much stock into Chuck's diary as a historical record. My first question was when did Katy request to sing Beast? I'm guessing it wasn't that day as her appearance wasn't spontaneous. The inclusion of Beast on the web vote for that show was probably motivated by her desire to sing it. Was the web vote still open when Chuck did the run through with them at 4? Is it still active even when the winner has been decided? What would they have done if Beast hadn't won despite the desire of their guest's wish to sing it? This is all conjecture but the St. Louis vote left a bad taste in my mouth for a fan vote.

As far as Dead Flowers go I was there and it was really good. Just thought it was interesting.

I should add I am enjoying myself immensely analyzing this as I try and kill time at work.

If the decision to put the song onto the list was motivated by Perry's desire to sing it, why not? Could be, but so what? If another song had won, they would have put Beast of Burden into the guest spot and played the voted for song at another position. Like they did usually, since mostly these two (guest song and voted for song) were separate. Just because a song doesn't win, it doesn't mean, they can't play it nevertheless. They played Angie and Paint it Black in Abu Dhabi, though Gimme Shelter had won.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:15

On Twitter, if I add together the "Favorites" and "Retweets", If You can't Rock Me and Silver Train have been about equally voted for and are leading. Followed by You Got Me Rocking. So, if I consider both Facebook (IYCRM: 8031, YGMR: 6.879, ST: 6723, ADTL: 6716) and Twitter at the moment, it still looks very much like If You Can't Rock Me will be the winner song. I don't know, of course the results of the vote on their website.

I wonder, when they usually stop counting. Probably some time before sound check?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 18:29 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:17

rockdoc8885
I was at this Philly show and there is NO way Dead Flowers won the vote. No Expectations was way out in front, but Brad Paisley was in the house so they "allowed" Dead Flowers to win.

I agree with other posters, put some of the warhorses in the vote and see which ones are played and which are deleted. That would prove interesting. Say, Honky Tonk Women, Paint It, Black, and Tumbling Dice. Don't need to play all three every night. Play a Moonlight Mile or Silver Train, or a No Expectations more often and delete a warhorse or two through the vote.

How do you know this? You can't see the results of the votes, that are given on their homepage, online. And as far as I remember, that was, where you could vote, then. Was it possible to vote per Twitter or Facebook, too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 18:20 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:18

StrawberriesBlueberries
I wonder, when they usually stop counting.

Just after You Got Me Rocking takes the lead >grinning smiley<

Date: March 3, 2014 18:20

maradona
StrawberriesBlueberries

grinning smiley

Date: March 3, 2014 18:22

I was at the Syracuse show too in '98. Interesting that Star Star won. I voted for it, then regretted it because it was downright awful. Back in '97, they seemed to "load up" the vote before opening to the public. Many songs had no chance of winning and others seemed destined to be in the running regardless of whether or not the people voting actually wanted it.

My guess is, and it is simply a guess, they tell Chuck anywhere from 2-4 songs of what they would prefer to play and then Chuck probably narrows it down in half to one or two, then puts it up on the web knowing full well that two, perhaps three of the four choices the band has no intention of playing that night so if the lone remaining selection doesn't win, it "wins" anyway.

What would be cool is when you purchase your ticket, an email confirmation comes and asks what song you want to hear out of a selection of four and let only those attending the show to vote. You could mix it up by having a warhorse vote and a rare track vote. The results could be interesting and will tell the band a little bit better about what their paying audiences want to hear, although I think they have a good idea and unfortunately it is warhorse heavy.

With that said, and it has been debated numerous times here, a warhorse set may be a bit boring for us diehards, yet they play those songs the best. On most nights only Midnight Rambler was played better than Satisfaction. Perhaps a couple of warhorses could be shelved for a period on this tour, but they do play them the best.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:37

StrawberriesBlueberries
fahthree

If the decision to put the song onto the list was motivated by Perry's desire to sing it, why not? Could be, but so what? If another song had won, they would have put Beast of Burden into the guest spot and played the voted for song at another position. Like they did usually, since mostly these two (guest song and voted for song) were separate. Just because a song doesn't win, it doesn't mean, they can't play it nevertheless. They played Angie and Paint it Black in Abu Dhabi, though Gimme Shelter had won.

If you know you are going to do it anyway then take it out of the pool of songs and give the fans another choice. As you said, they usually had the guest spot and web spot.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:38

maradona
StrawberriesBlueberries

Or by Chuck's diary for Vegas we know at least 5 hours before show time.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:51

fahthree
maradona
StrawberriesBlueberries

Right, I just realized myself, you can draw some conclusions from Chuck's remark: "it was also the choice of the fans for the “By Request” part of the show where we give fans 5 songs to vote for in that slot. That helped me to write up a nice set list." So it sounds like they stop at latest around the time of doing the setlist, which is logical of course, meaning a few hours before the show or earlier.

Date: March 3, 2014 18:54

StrawberriesBlueberries
fahthree

Right, I just realized myself, you can draw some conclusions from Chuck's remark: "it was also the choice of the fans for the “By Request” part of the show where we give fans 5 songs to vote for in that slot. That helped me to write up a nice set list." So it sounds like they stop at latest around the time of doing the setlist, which is logical of course, meaning a few hours before the show or earlier.

But do they shut down the voting on the website? I coudd swear it stays active which renders those votes useless.

Date: March 3, 2014 19:08

For the tour in'97 and '98 you could see the vote tabulation. You are right in that it is difficult/impossible to track now since you can vote through social media websites.

I agree with other posters here as well. If you have a guest spot and you obviously know what song you are going to play with him/her days in advance, then remove it from the fan vote selection and place it in the set. No reason why two songs can't be added to the set and two others rotated out. This has been done before as stated. It appears misleading and disingenuous to include songs like Dead Flowers in the vote selection when you know Brad Paisley is playing the guest spot and that is the song you have chosen for him. I wonder, if Dead Flowers didn't "win", would they still have played it. Of course they would have unless they rehearsed another song with Paisley.

All of this is pure conjecture certainly, but isn't it ironic that Dead Flowers won the vote selection just nine days prior to the Philly show in Montreal, just two shows prior? There have been other songs that were "multiple" winners, but not in shows so close to one another.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:16

Silver Train

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 3, 2014 19:32

Not very hard to find I know but here's the link to make voting for ST easier : [www.rollingstones.com]!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 3, 2014 19:33

fahthree
StrawberriesBlueberries
fahthree

But do they shut down the voting on the website? I coudd swear it stays active which renders those votes useless.

I don't think, they shut it down and always assumed, that from one point of time on the votes can't be relevant anymore, because they have to decide the set list and prepare for it. But they won't tell fans this on their social networks to keep them excited and busy. So better vote early, I think. If I don't forget, I will have a look on their website tomorrow right before the concert.

I just found in their news archive some info about the app you could vote with for their latest tour. This was written to announce the vote for Las Vegas, where Katy Perry was the guest on May 11, and the one for the show before in San Jose:

"The vote, which is open now in the Official Rolling Stones mobile app, runs until midday (PST) on the day of the San Jose concert and the band will play the winning song live that night.

A second vote will open in the app on May 9th giving fans the chance to vote for a song to be played at the Las Vegas concert on May 11th."

So the vote for Las Vegas with Katy Perry was up two days before the show. When did they decide to have her as a guest and when did she request to do Beast of Burden?

fahthree
StrawberriesBlueberries
fahthree

If you know you are going to do it anyway then take it out of the pool of songs and give the fans another choice. As you said, they usually had the guest spot and web spot.

I see, what you mean and don't know about similar cases, where they performed a not voted for song from the list anyway (except ABU Dhabi, which was a special kind of voting), but I have NOT checked this! So it might simply be, that the poll was on or at least decided and included Beast of Burden, when Katy Perry coincidentally requested to sing it. To conclude this, one would have to know, if, when the poll started on May 9, Katy Perry had already requested her song. In any case, I was just saying, that it probably would not have been a problem or catastrophe for the band to - besides the fan vote - do Beast of Burden with Perry, if it had not been the winning song from the list.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home