Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

DVDs - Charlie is my daring or Crossfire Hurricane?
Posted by: melvin ()
Date: December 2, 2013 18:08

If you could only get one or the other, which DVD would you choose?
Charlie is my daring or Crossfire Hurricane?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-02 20:36 by bv.

Re: DVDs
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: December 2, 2013 18:13

Charlie is my darling for sure

Date: December 2, 2013 18:17

CIMD!

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: December 2, 2013 19:00

That's a tough one. Crossfire had a lot of potential but ended kind of abruptly in the 81 timeframe. I guess Mick didn't want to talk about what a shithead Keith is. But that is another thread. I liked CIMD but these days as a longtime fan haven't we heard all the things they have or had to say. So my pick would be to neither given the choice . Get Some Girls or L & G. Great stuff in those.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 2, 2013 19:03

HAHA----I like Some Girls and L&G better too.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 2, 2013 20:30

melvin

Charlie is my daring or Crossfire Hurricane?

If it's really: either the one - or the other - or nothing, have a look here for the right decision.

Re: DVDs - Charlie is my daring or Crossfire Hurricane?
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 2, 2013 20:39

I still haven't seen Crossfire. It looked like 95% footage that we have all seen before. Am I wrong?

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: December 2, 2013 21:15

Well, I saw Crossfire Hurricane several times before in the early 1990s, when it was under the title of 25X5.

So, it's nice to have 25X5 back again in a somewhat edited form, but Charlie Is My Darling is something I'd never seen before but only heard about, and is about as revealing and intimate a portrait of the early Stones as we are ever likely to get.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 2, 2013 21:24

charlie is my darling, dont get Crossfire.....i did not like it anyway
jeroen

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 2, 2013 21:27

Charlie all the way. Get the deluxe set for the live album or be iffy and get the single DVD for cheaper and download the live album.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 2, 2013 23:36

flacnvinyl
I still haven't seen Crossfire. It looked like 95% footage that we have all seen before. Am I wrong?
You're right but the US version has some nice extras. So that's worth purchasing

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 3, 2013 00:14

Sounds like a choice between a greatest hits album (say, FORTY LICKS) and a studio album (say, BEGGARS BANQUET). I think more suitable would to choose between CHARLIE IS MY DARLING and pieces like GIMME SHELTER, ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, etc.

So I think CROSSFIRE HURRICANE belongs to a bit different category than those authentic films documenting the band in crucial phases in their story. I was first disapppointed with HURRICANE since I had too way too big expectations for it (naturally), but I need to say when I saw it third time I think it gives a nice, balanced over-all picture of their career. Nicely done.

- Doxa

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 3, 2013 00:33

Charlie is My Darling,

Date: December 3, 2013 00:37

His Majesty
Charlie all the way. Get the deluxe set for the live album or be iffy and get the single DVD for cheaper and download the live album.

The live album is a must. Different live versions in better sound quality than the ones on Got Live... + more songs thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 3, 2013 00:44

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

The live album is a must. Different live versions in better sound quality than the ones on Got Live... + more songs thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 3, 2013 01:51

Crossfire Hurricane by a mile! Excellent documentary.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 3, 2013 02:05

Anything with Brian is worth having.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 3, 2013 02:08

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 3, 2013 04:12

both are great. Not sure why there is no love for Crossfire, it's great for what it is, though too short!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 3, 2013 04:22

Both films are excellent. If I had to choose one I'd go with Charlie but only by a hair!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 3, 2013 04:59

About the title, Charlie Is My Darling--I wonder what Charlie Watts thought of that title. I mean, being so low key and all, do you think he was embarrassed?

Date: December 3, 2013 11:30

stonehearted
About the title, Charlie Is My Darling--I wonder what Charlie Watts thought of that title. I mean, being so low key and all, do you think he was embarrassed?

Ha ha, perhaps. I reckon he was even more embarrassed by being on the cover of Ya Yas, though grinning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 3, 2013 12:01

All of them have their good points but "Ladies & Gentlemen" is the top of Mount Rock. There was no one even close to them at that point. For sentimental reasons, I really like the Some Girls film too.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 3, 2013 17:44

crossfire hurricane

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 3, 2013 20:40

Charlie is my darling was shot before they became international superstars, an amazing document of a time I have never known. Love Crossfire Hurricaine as well. If you are a Mick fan the first scene is fab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-04 01:25 by desertblues68.

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: December 3, 2013 23:04

I am going to get Charlie is....Even though I have seen the old version, I haven't seen the new version yet.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: December 4, 2013 08:19

I found Crossfire Hurricane to be all over the place. Maybe there was just too much to cram in but at times it just felt a little rushed.

However, I really enjoyed hearing Mick Taylors input and the praise he got from the other members of the band. That really was a delight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home