Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Crossfire Hurricane' Nominated For Four Emmys
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: July 18, 2013 22:15

Re: 'Crossfire Hurricane' Nominated For Four Emmys
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: July 19, 2013 14:34

Mick tweets:

So pleased that Crossfire Hurricane has been nominated for four #Emmys. Thanks to everyone who worked on it

hot smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 19, 2013 16:01

amazing, i thought it was not that great, and i felt miserable they omitted so much stuff.

Jeroen

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: July 20, 2013 08:19

A missed opportunity..

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 20, 2013 08:23

Haven't seen it yet.

I'm guessing it is for the casual, or new, fan? What year does it cover up to?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 09:52

Lucky Bill left: if they win all four, each gets one and they won't have to share.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 20, 2013 13:35

Four emmy's for that!? confused smiley

MingSubu
Haven't seen it yet.

I'm guessing it is for the casual, or new, fan? What year does it cover up to?

For the new or casual fan it is probably good, for those who have seen and heard so much already only the brief snippets of a few outtakes of familiar songs and some brief bits of footage from Olympic Studios circa 1967 and 1969 make it interesting.

In saying that there are some engaging moments from parts of the interviews, Bill especially sounds emotional. The part about Brian's decline and death is emotional and well handled, but spoiled by use of 1969 Muscle Shoals footage.

I think it's just something to make a quick buck on with minimal effort for the 50th anniversary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 13:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 20, 2013 14:44

vertigojoe
A missed opportunity..

I simply can't think of ANY project that the fans thinks aren't "a missed opportunity".

No wonder they will ignore suggestions from boards like these, when everything is complained about the whole time.

It is a great documentary and an introduction to those who only knows the band sporadically. All hard core fans know the story. A lot of people doesn't. We got the Bootleg Series instead. Fine.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2013 17:00

The only that I didn't feel was right was an audience shot of Argentina during The Bigger Band Tour (maybe licks) and ADTL from Shine A Light. Why modern day clips about a band pre 1981?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 20, 2013 17:21

More Hot Rocks
The only that I didn't feel was right was an audience shot of Argentina during The Bigger Band Tour (maybe licks) and ADTL from Shine A Light. Why modern day clips about a band pre 1981?

Wasn't that because they wanted to show the band kept on rolling?
I thought it was a smart move, though I would have liked an extra half an hour, talking about World War lll and the Vegas Years. But that way it wouldn't have lived up it's subtitle: The Rise Of The Stones.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2013 21:15

Blueranger
More Hot Rocks

Wasn't that because they wanted to show the band kept on rolling?
I thought it was a smart move, though I would have liked an extra half an hour, talking about World War lll and the Vegas Years. But that way it wouldn't have lived up it's subtitle: The Rise Of The Stones.

I can see your point. I agree.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 20, 2013 21:32

It was all right. A few revelations. It sets my teeth on edge to know there are many, many hours of interviews we don't get to hear. It was a little much to hear Bill talk about girls peeing their pants, but he was there and his insights are valuable. And the footage of a lost Brian at the end, sitar in hand, and his shaky hands, are revelatory. It really is for the casual fan, or the novice, but I've shown it to friends and they got a kick out of it.

The hard core fan will probably never get the documentary that would turn them on. There probably isn't as much footage as we'd like, not like the Beatles, especially the earliest days. I would prefer every Rolling Stone still alive to sit in a room and give their honest view of past events, warts and all. But that's not happening.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 21, 2013 02:39

We will most likely get The Stones' version of The Beatles Anthology after Keith and Mick are gone. That's too bad.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2013 04:47

Is this era, the post-Life era, the WW3 for the Stones?

Never bothered with this... what is it, a documentary?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 21, 2013 05:12

24FPS
I would prefer every Rolling Stone still alive to sit in a room and give their honest view of past events, warts and all. But that's not happening.

It's not happening because the band is still a going concern. We see what happened when Keith attempted the warts-and-all approach--he alienated the lead singer so profoundly that it actually took some convincing to get Mick on board for the current tour, and even now only regards Keith as a co-worker rather than as a friend he's known for 63 of his 70 years.

Mick Taylor has done all the talking he's about to do, now that he's wending his way back in to his former employers' good graces--and he's not about to blow what is perhaps his last chance in life for a bit of financial security.

The only one who can afford the warts-and-all approach is Bill Wyman, now that all possibilities of his future involvement with the band have been exhausted. Wyman is the only Rolling Stone who is no longer bound by the constraints of band politics. Therefore, I'm looking forward to the upcoming release of his new "tell all" book. None of the others can do it, so Bill's version will have to do, for now.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: July 21, 2013 15:00

Anyway to watch it online for free ? There was a clip on youtube but it was only the first hour or so.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:00

spsimmons
We will most likely get The Stones' version of The Beatles Anthology after Keith and Mick are gone. That's too bad.

You mean given they are likely to live another 25-30 years (certainly Mick)?

I guess that's what you call a mixed blessing.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 20:42

'Crossfire Hurricane' is good but seemed so short. I'd rather get a bunch or "rare" TV shows and concerts from '64 - '76 and put out some dvd's without the "story'. everybody knows it by now anyways. how many more ways can ya tell it?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: July 21, 2013 21:00

Crossfire was way too sanitized & pretty much slammed the door on most events after 1980 or so (other than a finale that featured Shine a Light footage - as I recall). I was disappointed. And while it wasn't awful, I'm a bit mystified it was nominated.smoking smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 21, 2013 21:06

Not a bad documentary but they should have made it longer and covered a longer timeline.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home