Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slide on "Let It Bleed" - tuning?
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 16, 2011 00:59

Anybody know the slide tuning for the original album version? My guess is it is open of some sort, G or E, since Keith wasn't a terribly experienced slide player and I find slide in standard tuning to be more difficult.

Re: Slide on "Let It Bleed" - tuning?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 16, 2011 01:08

Since the song is in "C", open G makes more sense, but most of the other slide Keith played on the album was in Open E, so it could be that.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: January 16, 2011 01:18

theimposter
Anybody know the slide tuning for the original album version? My guess is it is open of some sort, G or E, since Keith wasn't a terribly experienced slide player and I find slide in standard tuning to be more difficult.

Haha, Keith wasn't a terribly experienced slide player is an understatement!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 16, 2011 01:29

True, but it sure was effective for a beginner.

Date: January 16, 2011 01:42

Thanks 71Tele, and I agree with the rest of you guys. But he DID do some pretty good stuff on slide for that album. Was LIB the only Stones record where Keith played all of the guitars?

Date: January 16, 2011 01:43

Sacke
theimposter

Haha, Keith wasn't a terribly experienced slide player is an understatement!

I thought Keith really rose to the challenge during the period where Brian was pretty much finished as a guitar player and before Taylor was ensconced. Keith had to learn some new textures to keep things interesting and came through with flying colors. He may not have been an experienced slide player, but his style was distinctive and added much color to the songs on LIB in particular. Too bad he never really took the slide out of his bag of tricks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-16 01:46 by 71Tele.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 16, 2011 02:40

It's open E with a capo on the first fret or open D with a capo on the 3rd fret (same thing really)

Date: January 16, 2011 03:00

terraplane
It's open E with a capo on the first fret or open D with a capo on the 3rd fret (same thing really)

Sounds right...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 16, 2011 05:43

theimposter
Thanks 71Tele, and I agree with the rest of you guys. But he DID do some pretty good stuff on slide for that album. Was LIB the only Stones record where Keith played all of the guitars?

Mick Taylor played on Live With Me and Country Honk.

That Keith picked up slide so quickly and came up with the parts he did shows how hot his musical instincts were at the time. I love his slide part on Jigsaw Puzzle! It sounds bizarre in isolation, but as part of the track it's perfect!

As far as I am aware, Their Satanic Majesties Request is the only album Keith played all the guitars on.

Date: January 16, 2011 05:43

going to try that terraplane - thanks.

Date: January 16, 2011 05:50

Listening now, Keith sounds a bit lost at times playing slide on this track. grinning smiley

Date: January 16, 2011 05:59

I think his slide playing is pretty cool on this track. "Instinctive" is the best way to describe Keith's playing. I love the first notes where he slides up and down the low E string. And what's with Jagger's acoustic guitar track? Sounds like the first half second is clipped off the beginning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-16 06:00 by terraplane.

Date: January 16, 2011 06:06

terraplane
I think his slide playing is pretty cool on this track. "Instinctive" is the best way to describe Keith's playing. I love the first notes where he slides up and down the low E string. And what's with Jagger's acoustic guitar track? Sounds like the first half second is clipped off the beginning.

Keith plays both acoustic and slide on the track.

Date: January 16, 2011 06:10

Ok. Always figured Jagger wrote this by himself and therefore played the basic track.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 16, 2011 13:14

I always figured this song was in the key of "kick ass"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2011 18:01

bolexman
I always figured this song was in the key of "kick ass"

That would be the key of 'K' then, with a capo on the 5th fret.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 16, 2011 18:12

I thought "Midnight Rambler" was very cool. The slide work is pretty simple but the entire song was kinda stripped down,huh? Maybe thats what makes it so fierce and menacing. Now I know the gold standard was set with the live version from Ya Ya's where it evolved into an outright rocker and if you made me choose I would go with that one BUT there is something special about the studio track to me that keeps me going back again and again for a listen.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 17, 2011 05:36

Open E.

Date: January 17, 2011 12:35

I think it's Open E, but all the single string playing leaves room for a doubt. Could be standard tuning, even though it's not very likely Keith did that... I'm a bit uncertain on this one confused smiley

Date: January 17, 2011 12:41

There's a few bits where he lets some open string clunkers ring out, this will suggest what tuning he's probably in.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:56

scottkeef
I thought "Midnight Rambler" was very cool. The slide work is pretty simple but the entire song was kinda stripped down,huh? Maybe thats what makes it so fierce and menacing. Now I know the gold standard was set with the live version from Ya Ya's where it evolved into an outright rocker and if you made me choose I would go with that one BUT there is something special about the studio track to me that keeps me going back again and again for a listen.

I always prefer the studio version despite the blistering stunning minutes of pure genius from every single live version of the song in 1972-1973. I also love the versions from 1975/76 (very underrated, one of Ronnies finest moments as well as Keiths, a different version really) and 1969, 1970/71.
The studio version is my favourite, the sound, Micks voice, the harmonica and of course the guitars. And the bass. And the drums. Perfect. The slide is one of the best I've heard. It is insecure, trying and sharp as a knife, finds its place after two minutes when it starts to taunt the delicate galloping buffalo that is Keith's rhythm guitar.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 17, 2011 17:36

That very beginning bit? I remember when I was a kid listening to this track and for years wondering WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I did not know anything about slide guitar until I was older. I didn't understand it. It never occurred to me in the song that there was guitar sliding, I just heard...guitar. But that intro, ha ha - that was very clever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home