Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Question Regarding "Tattoo You"
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 15, 2012 05:23

My apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere at some point....

Regarding the tracks on "Tattoo You", is it accurate to say that the only tracks that weren't outtakes from previous sessions were "Heaven" and "Neighbors"? If this is the case, was there ever any such thing as a "Tattoo You" session in order to record these new songs? I've heard that there were no such actual sessions; so I'm unsure of how this could have been the case, if this makes any sense at all.....

Thanks all for the clarification!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-15 05:25 by sf37.

Re: A Question Regarding "Tattoo You"
Date: January 15, 2012 06:03

Not sure about Neighbours, which sounds more like a ER leftover, but most things I've read say Heaven was recorded for Tattoo You.

Which makes no sense in a way since Kimsey had about 20 songs together that they worked on.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 15, 2012 09:04

From timeisonourside.com:

Neighbors
Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: October-November 1980 & April-June 1981
Recording locations: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France & Atlantic Studios, New York City

From nzentgraf.de:

801011A 11th October - 12th November: Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France,
Pathé-Marconi Studios. Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey.
- Heaven I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- Heaven II (MJ/KR) -first version with real lyrics
- Neighbours I (MJ/KR) -different solos, no sax
- Slave III (MJ/KR) -first version with vocals, very long

810400C April - June: Paris, Mobile Recording Unit in some unlocated warehouse (only
MJ, ca. six weeks in April & May) & New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Sonny Rollins (sax on Neighbours, Slave and Waiting On A Friend) and maybe Pete Townshend (bvoc on Slave).
- Heaven III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Let’s Do It Right II -remixed version 1
- Munich Reggae II (MJ/KR) -remixed version I
- Neighbours II (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Neighbours III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Slave IV (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Slave V (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Slave VI (MJ/KR) -longer version V, remastered ‘Tattoo You’-version
- Waiting On A Friend III (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Waiting On A Friend IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Waiting On A Friend V (MJ/KR) -edited promosingle-version

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 15, 2012 14:20

sf37
My apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere at some point....

Regarding the tracks on "Tattoo You", is it accurate to say that the only tracks that weren't outtakes from previous sessions were "Heaven" and "Neighbors"? If this is the case, was there ever any such thing as a "Tattoo You" session in order to record these new songs? I've heard that there were no such actual sessions; so I'm unsure of how this could have been the case, if this makes any sense at all.....

Thanks all for the clarification!

I remember reading that 4 tracks on TY were recorded at actual TY sessions, though I wish I could remember which ones. Heaven was one.

Date: January 16, 2012 06:50

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the details on which songs were recorded when. It's much appreciated!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 16, 2012 09:38

Nieghbours + heaven + Little TA + No use in crying + hang fire?????

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:03

Although Neighbours was recorded for Tattoo You the melody seems to be taken from Send It To Me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 11:19 by franzk.

Date: January 16, 2012 11:59

KeithNacho

Little T&A, No Use In Crying and Hang Fire were recorded in 1979.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:01

KeithNacho

Trying to recall interviews and articles I've read.....Little T & A comes from the Some Girls sessions and was originally called Bulldog. No Use In Crying was written for Emotional Rescue, but not sure if they got around to recording it at any ER sessions. Hang Fire is also from Some Girls sessions...I'm pretty sure. I've heard that the origins of Slave go back to the Black and Blue sessions.

Date: January 16, 2012 16:17

I believe each of you are correct. And if "Neighbour"'s melodic roots do indeed go back to "Send It To Me", then I guess this would leave "Heaven" as the one and only true "brand new track" specifically recorded for the album.

Date: January 16, 2012 16:39

sf37
I believe each of you are correct. And if "Neighbour"'s melodic roots do indeed go back to "Send It To Me", then I guess this would leave "Heaven" as the one and only true "brand new track" specifically recorded for the album.

What always amuses me is that when TY came out, everyone was saying things like, "What a fresh reinvigorated sound! The Stones are on fire again!" At the time the Stones said nothing to make people think they hadn't just gone into the studio and made a brand new album. It wasn't until a long time later that they started to admit in interviews how much of the album was old tracks (although they did do some overdubs and such on them). I do know of several sources I've read that all agreed there were definitely four tracks specifically recorded for Tattoo You.

Date: January 16, 2012 17:27

stonesdan60
sf37

What always amuses me is that when TY came out, everyone was saying things like, "What a fresh reinvigorated sound! The Stones are on fire again!" At the time the Stones said nothing to make people think they hadn't just gone into the studio and made a brand new album. It wasn't until a long time later that they started to admit in interviews how much of the album was old tracks (although they did do some overdubs and such on them). I do know of several sources I've read that all agreed there were definitely four tracks specifically recorded for Tattoo You.

Yep, I recall some people saying much the sanme thing about the album at the time. Can't say I blame the band for letting some time pass before fully owning up to it being not quite "so new".....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 16, 2012 18:39

At the time I didn't care. In 1981 Tattoo You was a new, fresh Rolling Stones album to me. But the fact that Bob Clearmountain and Jagger were the architects behind the album really reinforces my belief that the Stones were a 60´s and 70´s band and that the last tour was the Still Life tour. Later on another band emerged on the scene: Rolling Stones 2.0 - a Las Vegas revival act to last for more than two decades.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2012 18:50

Stoneage
At the time I didn't care. In 1981 Tattoo You was a new, fresh Rolling Stones album to me. But the fact that Bob Clearmountain and Jagger were the architects behind the album really reinforces my belief that the Stones were a 60´s and 70´s band and that the last tour was the Still Life tour. Later on another band emerged on the scene: Rolling Stones 2.0 - a Las Vegas revival act to last for more than two decades.

Great description, and I would add they had a final grasp to greatness with Undercover before stumbling miserably with Dirty Work. This then was the precursor to 2.0

In order for the band to 'stay together', this was the only way I believe it was going to work. One can debate I guess whether that was a good decision. As the time falls almost completely with my time as a fan, I can't say that I've minded.

Posted by: genco ()
Date: January 16, 2012 19:10

They played "Worried About You" in Mocambo concert, I think on March 5h gig in 1977

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 16, 2012 19:18

For the longest time I thought that Neighbours was the only 'new' song on Tattoo You, which made sense o me because it's the only song on it I don't really like. haha

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 16, 2012 21:35

jamesfdouglas
For the longest time I thought that Neighbours was the only 'new' song on Tattoo You, which made sense o me because it's the only song on it I don't really like. haha

"Neighbours" is my least favourite Tattoo You track as well. Whereas "Tops", being the oldest track on the album as far as I know, is probably my favourite tune after "Start Me Up".

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 16, 2012 21:48

sf37, yes, Tops is FANTASTIC!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 16, 2012 21:54

sf37
Whereas "Tops", being the oldest track on the album as far as I know

Waiting On A Friend originated from the same sessions as Tops.

Date: January 16, 2012 22:05

erikjjf
sf37
Whereas "Tops", being the oldest track on the album as far as I know

Waiting On A Friend originated from the same sessions as Tops.

Ah, ok, thanks erikjjf. I was originally thinking that "Waiting On A Friend" was from the Black & Blue sessions but I guess it's older than that (i.e. Goats Head Soup, along with "Tops" ). I do enjoy that track as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 22:07 by sf37.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 16, 2012 22:36

If I recall correctly, Waiting On A Friend was from Goats Head Soup sessions along with Through The Lonely Nights and Short And Curlies Nov to Dec 72. The first session in 1973 produced Hide Your Love. Tops was from the It's Only Rock ""N Roll sessions.

Date: January 16, 2012 22:58

donvis
Tops was from the It's Only Rock ""N Roll sessions.

I'm surprised to learn of this as I was sure it was older. Thanks for the clarification, donvis.

Date: January 16, 2012 23:26

From nzentgraf.de:

First recorded version and final Tattoo You version highlighted.

1972 25th - 30th November & 6th - 21st December: Kingston, Jamaica, Dynamic
Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Andy Johns (with Carlton Lee). Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins (p; first three weeks)/Billy Preston (keyb; last week)
- After Muddy & Charlie (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Angie I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Nicky Hopkins on piano
- Brown Leaves I (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Can You Hear The Music I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Nicky Hopkins on piano
- Coming Down Again I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version
- Criss Cross I (MJ/KR) -basic track, without sax
- Dancing With Mr. D. I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Nicky Hopkins on piano
- Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Billy Preston on keyboards
- Fast Talking Slow Walking (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano
- First Thing (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Four And In (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Give Us A Break (MJ/KR) -unverified
- 100 Years Ago I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Nicky Hopkins on piano
- Jamaica (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Man-Eating Woman (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Miami (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Separately (KR/MT) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; Jimmy Miller on percussion; instrumental
- Short And Curlies I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Ian Stewart on piano
- Star Star I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Ian Stewart on piano
- Through The Lonely Nights (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; single-version
- Tops I (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Waiting On A Friend I (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano, Jimmy Miller on percussion; "Waiting On My Friend"-version
- Winter I (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano, strings arranged by Nicky Harrison; different mix of version II
- Winter II (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano, strings arranged by Nicky Harrison; Goats Head Soup-version
- You Should Have Seen Her Ass (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano
- Zabadoo (MJ/KR) -unverified

1973 13th - 24th November: Munich, West-Germany, Musicland Studios (without MT).
Producers: MJ & KR (The Glimmer Twins). Sound engineers: Keith Harwood and Andy Johns.
- Ain’t Too Proud To Beg I (Norman Whitfield/Eddie Holland) -Billy Preston on piano; unverified early version
- Black Limousine I (MJ/KR/RW) -with Ron Wood on guitar; early instrumental version (probably under title Broken Head Blues)
- Fingerprint File I (MJ/KR) -Billy Preston on clavinet, (Charlie) Jolly Kunjappu on tabla; unverified early version
- If You Can’t Rock Me I (MJ/KR) -Billy Preston on clavinet; unverified early version
- Slow Down And Stop (MJ/KR) -nearly instrumental
Note: Ron Wood was present for one night of the sessions.

1975 22nd January - 9th February: Rotterdam, Holland, De Doelen, Mobile Record Unit.
Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineers: Keith Harwood, Glyn Johns.
Recordings. Additional musicians: Billy Preston (p, org, string synthesizer, bvoc)/
Wayne Perkins (gtr)/Robert A. Johnson (gtr; 6.-9.2.)/Jeff Beck (gtr; 6.-9.2.)/Rory Gallagher (gtr; 27.1.; unrecorded)
- Crazy Mama I (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Crazy Mama II (MJ/KR) -early take with partly different lyrics
- English Rose (MJ/KR)
- Let's Do It Right (MJ/KR)
- Melody I (MJ/KR) -Billy Preston on vocals and piano
- Shame Shame Shame (Sylvia Robinson) -Billy Preston on piano
- Slave I (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Slave II (MJ/KR) -instrumental, Billy Preston on piano
- Worried About You I (MJ/KR) -Billy Preston on organ

1975 25th March - 4th April: Munich, Germany Musicland Studios. Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood.
Additional musicians: Billy Preston (p, org)/Ollie Brown (perc, cowbell)/Wayne Perkins (gtr)/Harvey Mandel (gtr)/RW (gtr, bvoc; 30.3. - 4.4.75)
- Cellophane Trousers I (MJ/KR) -instrumental (uses Too Tough-riff)
- Cellophane Trousers II (MJ/KR) -version I with additional lead guitar
- Crazy Mama III (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on piano and backing vocals, Ollie Brown on cowbell; backing track recorded on the 29th March, Black And Blue-version
- Crazy Mama IV (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on piano and backing vocals, Ollie Brown on cowbell; edited Sucking In The 70’s-version
- Hand Of Fate I (MJ/KR) -Wayne Perkins on guitar, Ollie Brown on percussion; early version with partly different lyrics
- Hand Of Fate II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, Wayne Perkins on guitar, Billy Preston on piano, Ollie Brown on percussion; backing track recorded on the 25th March, Black And Blue-version
- Hey Negrita I (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar; early version
- Hey Negrita II (MJ/KR) -RW on guitar and backing vocals, Billy Preston on organ, piano and backing vocals; recorded on the 2nd April, Black And Blue-version
- Hot Stuff I (MJ/KR) -Ollie Brown on cowbell, Harvey Mandel on guitar; with some hardly audible vocals
- Hot Stuff II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, STU and Ollie Brown on percussion, Harvey Mandel on guitar, Billy Preston on piano; backing track recorded on the 30th March, Black And Blue-version
- I Love Ladies (MJ/KR)
- Memory Motel I (MJ/KR) -Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel on guitars, Billy Preston on synthesizer; instrumental, lacking some overdubs
- Memory Motel II (MJ/KR) -RW on backing vocals, Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel on guitars, Billy Preston on synthesizer and backing vocals; backing track recorded on the 31st March, Black And Blue-version
- Munich Reggae (MJ/KR)
- Start Me Up I (MJ/KR) -Reggae-version, under title Never Stop

1978 5th January - 2nd March: Boulogne-Billancourt, France, Pathé Marconi Studios.
Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey (and Dave Jordan for Before They Make Me Run).
Additional musicians: STU (p)/Bobby Keys (sax)
- After Hours (Avery Parrish) -instrumental
- Angeline (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Armpit Blues (MJ/KR) -instrumental *
- Before They Make Me Run I (MJ/KR) -very early lyrics
- Before They Make Me Run II (MJ/KR) -early lyrics, very long fade-out
- Before They Make Me Run III (MJ/KR) -’Some Girls’-version
- Before They Make Me Run IV (MJ/KR) -version of promo-single
- Black Limousine III (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics, usual intro
- Black Limousine IV (MJ/KR/RW) -early version with finished lyrics
- Broken Toe (MJ/KR) -instrumental *
- Brown Leaves II (MJ/KR) -instrumental version of Dancing Girls (short)
- Brown Leaves III (MJ/KR) -instrumental version of Dancing Girls (longer)
- Claudine II (MJ/KR) -Rock'n Roll-version; Some Girls deluxe version
- Claudine III (MJ/KR) -Rock'n Roll-version, edit of version II
- Disco Musik (MJ/KR)
- Don't Be A Stranger I (MJ/KR) -early lyrics, under title Do You Get Enough *
- Do You Think I Really Care I (MJ/KR/RW) -pedal steel version
- Do You Think I Really Care II (MJ/KR/RW) -guitar version
- Everlasting Is My Love II (MJ/KR) -with falsetto vocals and slide
- Everlasting Is My Love III (MJ/KR) -falsetto vocals and count in
- Far Away Eyes II (MJ/KR) -finished vocals, different pedal steel solo
- Far Away Eyes III (MJ/KR) -backing track, used for promo
- Far Away Eyes IV (MJ/KR) -’Some Girls’-version
- Far Away Eyes V (MJ/KR) -single-edit
- Fiji Jim I (MJ/KR/RW)
- Fiji Jim II (MJ/KR/RW) -version I with more guitars
- Golden Caddy I (MJ/KR) -instrumental (short) *
- Golden Caddy II (MJ/KR) -instrumental (longer) *
- Hang Fire I (MJ/KR) -early lyrics
- I Love You Too Much III (MJ/KR) -instrumental, with acoustic guitar
- I Love You Too Much IV (MJ/KR) -with backing vocals and more lyrics
- I Need You (MJ/KR)
- It’s A Lie I (MJ/KR) -with harmonica intro
- It’s A Lie II (MJ/KR) -with drums intro
- It’s All Wrong (MJ/KR)
- It Won't Be Long I (MJ/KR) -rough version, less instruments
- Keep Up Blues I (MJ/KR) -early version under title Some People Tell Me *
- Light Up (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Lies III (MJ/KR) -extended of IV
- Lies IV (MJ/KR) - ‘Some Girls’-version
- Never Let Her Go (MJ/KR)
- Never Make You Cry I (MJ/KR) -with guide vocals
- Never Make You Cry II (MJ/KR) -MJ announces chord changes
- Never Make You Cry III (MJ/KR) -with additional electric piano
- No Spare Parts I (MJ/KR) -with early vocals and pedal steel guitar
- Not The Way To Go I (MJ/KR) -longer and slower version
- Petrol I (MJ/KR) -STU on drums
- Shame, Shame, Shame (Jimmy Reed)
- Sheep Dip Blues (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Some Girls II (MJ/KR) -’Some Girls’-version
- So Young I (MJ/KR) -with early lyrics/vocals
- Start Me Up II (MJ/KR) -very early, less lyrics, no backing vocals
- Start Me Up III (MJ/KR) -early version, with backing vocals
- Stay Where You Are (MJ/KR) -instrumental *
- Summer Romance I (MJ/KR) -early lyrics, very agressive
- Summer Romance II (MJ/KR) -early lyrics
- Summer Romance III (MJ/KR) -first version with original intro
- Up Against The Wall (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- The Way She Held Me Tight (MJ/KR) a/k/a Misty Roads
- When You're Gone I (MJ/KR/RW) -with early vocals/lyrics ('a/k/a Redeyes')
- You Don’t Have To Go (Jimmy Reed)
- You Win Again I (Hank Williams) -with early vocals

1979 18th January - 12th February: Nassau, Bahamas, Compass Point Studios.
Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Boz Scaggs (voc, gtr)/Michael Shrieve (perc)/Bobby Keys (sax)/Sugar Blue (harm)
- All About You I (MJ/KR) -early version
- All About You II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Break Away (MJ/KR) -with barely audible guide vocals
- Dancing Girls (MJ/KR) -uses Brown Leaves-riff in the verses
- Guess I Should Know (MJ/KR)
- Guitar Lesson (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- I Think I’m Going Mad I (MJ/KR) -no sax, some falsetto vocals
- I Think I’m Going Mad II (MJ/KR) -similar to IV, different sax, longer
- It’s Cold Down There I (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- It’s Cold Down There II (MJ/KR)
- It Won’t Be Long II (MJ/KR) -with additional keyboard (xylophone-sound)
- Jah Is Not Dead (MJ/KR?) -with Boz Scaggs sharing vocals
- Let’s Go Steady Again (James W. Alexander) -Krissy Kimsey on backing vocals
- Little T & A I (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Little T & A II (MJ/KR) -early lyrics
- Little T & A III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Linda Lou (Ray Sharpe)
- Lonely At The Top (MJ/KR)
- Munich Hilton III (MJ/KR/RW) -with vocals
- Never Too Into (MJ/KR)
- Sands Of Time (MJ/KR) -unverified
- She’s So Cold I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals (diff. lyrics)
- She’s So Cold II (MJ/MJ) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Still In Love I (MJ/KR) -with falsetto vocals
- Sweet Home Chicago (Robert Johnson)
- untitled instrumental ( )
- What’s The Matter (MJ/KR)
- You’re So Beautiful (MJ/KR) -unverified (could be a cover of Roll 'Em Pete)

1979 10th June - 7th July & late July - 25th August & 12th September - 19th October:
Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé Marconi Studios. Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians: Bobby Keys (sax)/Sugar Blue (harm)/Martin Gordon (bass; two days in September)
- Black Limousine V (MJ/KR/RW) -shortened version of III
- Black Limousine VI (MJ/KR/RW) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Dance I (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics
- Dance II (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics, with `three, four..."-count-in
- Dance III (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics with `two, three, four"-count-in
- Dance IV (MJ/KR/RW) -first early version with original intro
- Down In The Hole I (MJ/KR) -early version with partly different lyrics
- Down In The Hole II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Emotional Rescue I (MJ/KR) -long version
- Gangster’s Moll I (MJ/KR)
- Hang Fire II (MJ/KR) -with some falsetto vocals
- Hang Fire III (MJ/KR) -first version with ‘Doo Doo Doo’-chorus
- Hang Fire IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Indian Girl I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version without horns
- Let Me Go I (MJ/KR)
- Let Me Go II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- No Use In Crying I (MJ/KR/RW) -shorter early version
- No Use In Crying II (MJ/KR/RW) -longer early version
- No Use In Crying III (MJ/KR/RW) -with additional organ on version II
- No Use In Crying IV (MJ/KR/RW) -better backing vocals, more piano
- No Use In Crying V (MJ/KR/RW) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Send It To Me I (MJ/KR) -long version with vocals
- Start Me Up IV (MJ/KR) -long version
- Summer Romance V (MJ/KR) -finished lyrics, longer than VI
- Summer Romance VI (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- “Time Flies” (MJ/KR) -title unsure, with Martin Gordon on bass
- Tops III (MJ/KR) -using version I as backing, different lyrics
- Waiting On A Friend II (MJ/KR) -without sax
- We Had It All I (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -without harmonica
- We Had It All II (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -version I with harmonica
- We Had It All III (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -more finished version
- We Had It All IV (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -version III with new vocal take; Some Girls deluxe version
- Where The Boys Go III (MJ/KR) -’Where The Boys All Go’-version
- Where The Boys Go IV (MJ/KR) -version used for thermo-promo
- Where The Boys Go V (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Worried About You II (MJ/KR) -with different falsetto vocals
- Worried About You III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version

1979 early November - December: New York City, Electric Lady Studios.
Mixing and some overdubbing for the upcoming album ‘Emotional Rescue’.
Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians: Max Romeo (bvoc on ‘Dance’)/Arif Mardin (horns-conductor)/Jack Nitzsche (horns-arranger)
- Dance V (If I Was A Dancer)(MJ/KR/RW) -’Sucking In The 70’s’-version
- Dance VI (MJ/KR/RW) -instrumental promo-version
- Dance VII (MJ/KR/RW) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Emotional Rescue II (MJ/KR) -version used for thermo-promo
- Emotional Rescue III (MJ/KR) -version used for official promofilm
- Emotional Rescue IV (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Emotional Rescue V (MJ/KR) -edit; used on Malaysian Rewind-cassette
- Indian Girl II (MJ/KR) -long version
- Indian Girl III (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Send It To Me II (MJ/KR) -’Emotional Rescue’-version
- Start Me Up V (MJ/KR) ‘Tattoo You’-version
- Tops IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version

1980 11th October - 12th November: Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France,
Pathé-Marconi Studios. Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey.
- Heaven I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- Heaven II (MJ/KR) -first version with real lyrics
- Neighbours I (MJ/KR) -different solos, no sax
- Slave III (MJ/KR) -first version with vocals, very long

1981 April - June: Paris, Mobile Recording Unit in some unlocated warehouse (only MJ, ca. six weeks in April & May) & New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Sonny Rollins (sax on Neighbours, Slave and Waiting On A Friend) and maybe Pete Townshend (bvoc on Slave).
- Heaven III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Let’s Do It Right II -remixed version 1
- Munich Reggae II (MJ/KR) -remixed version I
- Neighbours II (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Neighbours III (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Slave IV (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Slave V (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Slave VI (MJ/KR) -longer version V, remastered ‘Tattoo You’-version

- Waiting On A Friend III (MJ/KR) -different sax
- Waiting On A Friend IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
- Waiting On A Friend V (MJ/KR) -edited promosingle-version

Date: January 16, 2012 23:56

Thanks again, erikjjf - - based on this very detailed info then, we stand corrected on the "Tops" issue, with it actually originating out of the 1972 sessions.

And our suspicions regarding "Neighbours" and "Heaven" seem to be affirmed here. They were essentially the "new" tracks for the album.

Thanks again, everyone! Cheers!

Date: January 17, 2012 00:39

Ron Wood on guitar in 1973???

Date: January 17, 2012 05:49

DandelionPowderman

An early audition, I suppose?......

Date: January 17, 2012 07:13

The Stones started working on recordings of Hang Fire during the first sessions for Black And Blue with Nicky Hopkins.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:23

sf37
DandelionPowderman

An early audition, I suppose?......

Not really, but Taylor was sick, and Wood was hanging out with Jagger and Richards so he got invited to the sessions.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:26

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Stones started working on recordings of Hang Fire during the first sessions for Black And Blue with Nicky Hopkins.

Nope. Hang Fire was never done in 75 or 76, and Hopkins only did some overdub sessions for B&B, he was never part of the sessions.

Mathijs

Date: January 17, 2012 18:04

Mathijs
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Nope. Hang Fire was never done in 75 or 76, and Hopkins only did some overdub sessions for B&B, he was never part of the sessions.

Mathijs

Uhhh, yep. Nick Kent talked about it in a article he wrote for MOJO. He was at the session.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home