Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Latter day Bowie
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:19

I lost interest in Bowie in the late 80s so didn't hear much of his later recordings. I do have (and like Heathen) but what are Outside, Earthling, Hours...' and Reality like?

Re: OT: Latter day Bowie
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:24

Heathen is one of his best. Bowie and Visconti.

Outside is brilliant (it has to grow on you though). Bowie and Eno!

Reality is excellent. Bowie and Visconti.

Hours is good.

Earthling has it's moments (it's a very noisy album)

Black tie White Noise.. not great (a few moments though).

Date: January 8, 2013 12:27

Bowie and Visconti always a good match. I may have to get reality.

I heard Toy and that sounded like it would have been a good album. Wish he'd release so I could get a good quality version.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:30

Outside and Heathen are terrific.
Apart from a couple of songs on each of the other 90s and 00s albums, I don't care for them.

The unreleased album, Toy, from 2000 is available on bootleg - and that one is very good. Not as good as Heathen or Outside, but still very good

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:33

Braincapers
Wish he'd release so I could get a good quality version.

But the quality is excellent as is....apart from the fact that it's lossy....

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 8, 2013 12:33

Hours, Heathen, and Reality are some of my favourite albums by any artist.

I love how Bowie's recent music has enhanced films, i.e. Heart's Filthy Lesson in Se7en, Pretty Things are Going to Hell in Stigmata.

Date: January 8, 2013 12:36

Erik_Snow
Braincapers
Wish he'd release so I could get a good quality version.

But the quality is excellent as is....apart from the fact that it's lossy....

It is excellent quality.

Not that I downloaded it or anything.. no siree... not me.

Date: January 8, 2013 12:37

Yeah I had a hard time getting into Bowie's late albums. First off I had to even care, and then learn to tell them apart. there is 5 albums back to back that fell into one big blur.
But I was wrong - Heathen and esp. Outside are very good.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:17

I don't do Bowie after Sorrow,

Bowie with Mick Ronson is all I do really.

After that he went all Funky in the mid 70s and then Euro and stopped working with Mick Ronson and it's not my cup of tea.

His new release sounds terrible to me.

Who remembers "The Laughing Gnome"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 13:19 by howled.

Date: January 8, 2013 13:18

What was wonderful about Outside was how Bowie applied conceptual art as an influence upon music, all reminiscent of The Physical Impossibility of Death In The Mind of Someone Living by Damien Hirst, i.e. the shark preserved in formaldehyde, or Self by Mark Quinn.

Date: January 8, 2013 13:19

howled

After that he went all Funky in the mid 70s and then Euro and stopped working with Mick Ronson and it's not my cup of tea.

I still like the Laughing Gnome. But I agree about Ronno. I heard a lot I liked post Ronno but nothing I loved as much. I even like Ronno's solo albums. I saw him quite a few times with Ian Hunter. Always great and always a lovely bloke.

Date: January 8, 2013 13:20

I mean Marc Quinn.

Self is also somewhat reminiscent of Aladdin Sane too.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:20

Happy birthday David Bowie smileys with beer

Date: January 8, 2013 13:26

Braincapers
howled

I still like the Laughing Gnome. But I agree about Ronno. I heard a lot I liked post Ronno but nothing I loved as much. I even like Ronno's solo albums. I saw him quite a few times with Ian Hunter. Always great and always a lovely bloke.

You know when Picasso had a blue period, and a rose period and then went cubism?

Well.. David Bowie.

Same thing.

He's an artist and you are missing out on some great music.

I love the Ronno stuff.. Ronno was brilliant with Bowie... but there's more.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:44

I think just about every Bowie album is brilliant, with just a few exceptions. Strangely I don't really like Heroes, Low and Lodger very much, and you have to listen through the 80's production of Never Let Me Down.

Diamond Dogs remains his master piece.

Mathijs

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:52

I love Hours. It took a while for it to go from good to great in my estimation but it happened. It has far more depth than Reality. Earthling is very good too. Reality is good but a bit generic and it felt like it was rushed out for the tour. The cover of Pablo Picasso alone is worth the price though. Bring Back The Disco King is another great track too.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:54

All are worth investigating. Some will appeal to you more than the others. 'Hours' is a very special album. Reflective and sad in places but very melodic, definitely a highlight of latter day Bowie. Reality is good fun, solid rock/pop songs on there, 'She'll Drive The Big Car' and 'Fall Dog Bombs The Moon' are the standouts. 'Heathen' and 'Outside' are masterpieces. 'Earthling' is hit and miss for me although the singles were all very strong efforts.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 8, 2013 13:59

Toy is by far the best thing he has recorded since Let's Dance. Such a shame that it has never been officially released. Well worth seeking out.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 14:16

Heathen is a brilliant album. A later day classic, that would have fit very snuggly with Low, if released in the 70's. Heathen is a beautiful statement, and Bowie's voice is stunning on it. 1.Outside is a very underrated album, and Bowie's return to full form. Some amazing, and very daring music on it. Stunning. Through These Architects Eyes is such a powerfully beautiful song.

I think Black Tie White Noise is a very underrated album as well. At first I didn't get it. And it sat under listened to. Years later, I gave it another listen and finally appreciated it's beauty. There are some fantastic grooves on this album and is the natural precursor to 1.Outside. There really are some great music on it. You've Been Around is a fantastic propulsive rocker, that harkens back to Station to Station. It is a very powerful and well done song.

Another later day classic, that isn't that well known is the soundtrack to the Buddha of Suburbia. A great album, that showed Bowie was still a great song/melody crafter.

I never have understood the dislike of Hours by Bowie fans. I loved it when it came out, and still really enjoy it. It was so different from 1.Outside and Earthling, a return to more introspective music, simpler, and some beautiful melodies. Survive is an amazing later day Bowie classic. Seven is Five Years Pt. 2, a wonderful acoustic song that just builds and builds. Hours reigned in Reeve's histrionic guitar, and Bowie's jungle rhythms, and back to a simpler style reminiscent to Honky Dory.

I am just so excited to this news about Bowie's new album, and I love the new single. It reminds me a lot of Heathen, and if the rest of the album is anything like the single, well this is one damn happy fan! YOWZA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-08 14:24 by whitem8.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2013 15:19

To summarize Bowie's later work:

It is at least as good as the Diamond Dogs, no better or worse ... so if you like DD, you like Bowie's CD period also ....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home