Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Cringe-worthy performances
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 24, 2012 19:26

Can we start a thread that collects cringe-worthy concert performances? No fights and crowd violence, just the WTF moments that even the pros have, like:

Re: OT: Cringe-worthy performances
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 24, 2012 20:51

That Van Halen thing is a colossal mess! Hilarious.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 24, 2012 21:05

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: December 24, 2012 21:54

...and the crowd goes nuts.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 24, 2012 22:07

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 25, 2012 01:40

No film will exist of this so you'll have to take my word for it!

I worked at Hammersmith Odeon and you could tell what nights you'd be really busy (teen bands, QUO, etc) and there would be other nights where you knew you could bunk off to the pub.

Ok we got it wrong with Chuck Berry who stormed off the stage early but you can't go wrong with Charlie Rich can you? Except that when we got back the audience were flooding into the foyer demanding their money back. Charlie (later described by his management as 'tired') was lying on his stomach trying to chat up a woman in the front row and, despite her being with somebody, suggesting that she might like to come backstage!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 25, 2012 01:48

The Stones at the start of the 94 tour at RFK in New Jersey, during Street Fighting Man...talk about a melt-down. Anybody got a clip of that one?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 25, 2012 01:53

TeaAtThree
That Van Halen thing is a colossal mess! Hilarious.

Never would've happened with Sammy and Michael...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 25, 2012 02:29

AND THE WINNER IS ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 25, 2012 02:47

Rockman
AND THE WINNER IS ........

Wow. It looks like Mr. Loaf didn't rehearse at all and thought he could just go out there and it would be fine.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 25, 2012 03:00

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 25, 2012 03:05

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 25, 2012 03:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-25 16:28 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 25, 2012 03:28

Poor girl! The singing was actually not that bad - if she only had remembered the lyrics. And the the fall to crown it all...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 25, 2012 03:32

She should have dusted herself off and given it another shot. Nobody likes a quitter.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 25, 2012 06:38

custom55

I played this for my kids the other night who didn't believe me when I did my imitation at the dinner table. And, trust me, I was spot ON!

T@3

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: December 25, 2012 07:06

I wish there were camera phones back in early 80's because what I'm about to describe, well, I would guess you don't see it often.

Back in the early 80's I saw Alabama screw up the intro to a song, not once, not twice, but three times.
And on the second time, the guitar player, Jeff Cook, literally threw up his hands and said he didn't remember how it went. At all

Now Randy Owen (the lead singer), he's a picker...but he's no Jeff Cook, and he's trying to show Cook approximately where the latter has gone wrong. That doesn't work well, so Cook noodles around for 15-20 seconds...says he's good to go. They start the song the 3rd time and Cook plays... something else entirely! But the band falls in perfectly and they do a great take on the tune.

After they finish the aforementioned tune, Cook starts to play the intro exactly right, then he plays it again...and again. The band picks up on the third time and they did a little of it like they were rehearsing and then they stopped... and not at the same time. Petered out was more like it. Randy Owen says something like 'I know you folks didn't spend 10$ to watch us rehearse but we've got a show tomorrow and we have a devil of a time getting Jeff to rehearse so...and the audience ate it up. I don't think it was staged.

I've seen my share of concerts but I never saw anything like that. btw, they were excellent. I was never a 'fan' but the easy as ducks on a pond way they handled the whole thing made me enjoy the show more than I ordinarily would have.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all of you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-25 07:08 by TonyMo.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 25, 2012 07:08

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 25, 2012 07:38

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 25, 2012 07:58

In viewing/listening to clips of Beatle George's 1974 U.S. tour, it's easy to see why 18 years passed before his next concert tour. He oversings with a voice that's already shot, and it doesn't help that he chose to wear his gardening overalls onstage.

Is this Harrison trying to do a Dylan imitation while singing one of his own songs, or is it just too much cocaine? Either way, this version of Something leaves something to be desired.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 25, 2012 12:37

ha that's funny because on tape trading sites anything from GH's 1974 tour is considered (by some) to be the Holy Grail of tape collecting... grinning smiley

ADD : Like "I have this tape from (insert name of city) and as long as I'm alive you'll never get to hear it!!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-25 17:05 by dcba.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 25, 2012 12:50

I don't hear anythying unusual on that Van Halen clip. It's sounds like Van halen always sounds.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 25, 2012 13:05

Gazza
video: [www.youtube.com]

Oh damn thanks for the reminder. That is a video I'm simply unable to watch more than 30-40 seconds. Imagine if that was ones mother, and one were a kid, watching it on TV.....life would be over before it really started

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-25 13:09 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 25, 2012 13:45

Erik_Snow
Gazza

Oh damn thanks for the reminder. That is a video I'm simply unable to watch more than 30-40 seconds. Imagine if that was ones mother, and one were a kid, watching it on TV.....life would be over before it really started

Be thankful that the first 30-40 seconds are the worst. Celine Dion pulling a 'rocker' face and doing something akin to a duckwalk truly is the personification of musical Hades.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 25, 2012 14:55

Gazza

Alright, I have been shown a new dimension in possible possibilities watching Celine and whoever that other woman is that looks like Martina Navratilova doing some AccaDacca but that guitar solo is off.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 25, 2012 16:32

dcba
ha that's funny because on tape trading sites anything from GH's 1974 tour is considered (by some) to be the Holy Grail of tape collecting... grinning smiley

Yeah it is interesting. I think for a lot of fans, we never really heard any songs from that tour, other than some pretty poor bootlegs. But unfortunately, I think that tour was pretty dismal by all accounts. George recovering from Hepatitis, laryngitis and from what I have read in the depths of a pretty powerful cocaine addition. His voice was fried, the bad too bloated, and George in his usual resentful mood of having to actually play to an audience to promote his albums. Amazing difference listening to his final tour in Japan with Clapton's band, which is pretty consistently amazing (other than his version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with some added background vocals from the chicks in his band). But I generally really like the Live in Japan stuff. He then did a political party show in England with Joe Walsh.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 25, 2012 16:36

This one just still curdles milk for me. His suite, over accented singing and the faux Jamaican rap is nauseating.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: December 25, 2012 17:34

shadooby
The Stones at the start of the 94 tour at RFK in New Jersey, during Street Fighting Man...talk about a melt-down. Anybody got a clip of that one?

I was there and don't recall what you mean. New Jersey? Do you mean Giants Stadium? Any audio?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 25, 2012 19:54

shawnriffhard1
shadooby

I was there and don't recall what you mean. New Jersey? Do you mean Giants Stadium? Any audio?

Audio and video of the first show of the VL tour shouldn't be hard to find, as it was broadcast live over MTV at the time. They open with Not Fade Away, and after the song Jagger says to the crowd, "Not bad--for a bunch of old farts."

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 25, 2012 20:04

shawnriffhard1
shadooby

the Voodoo Lounge opener was at RFK Stadium, which is in DC, not NJ. They did 4 shows at Giants in NJ a few weeks later.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home