Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tuning on You Got The Silver?
Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: November 28, 2010 12:08

Can anyone tell me what tuning Ronnie is using on You Got The Silver on the Shine a light version. And what key is it in?

And what tuning is the acoustic guitar on the Let It Bleed version? And what key is it in there?

Re: Tuning on You Got The Silver?
Posted by: skelly ()
Date: November 28, 2010 13:37

I think shine a light Ronnie plays open E in the key of D.

Studio I believe is open D, again in key of D.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 28, 2010 14:18

Shine a Light is sped up, so all keys are a half step up from the original keys. YGTS from SAL is in open E in the key of E (but if you play along you have to tune up half step). On LIB, You Got the Silver is in the key of F, most probably open D with a capo on the third fret, possibly open E with capo on first fret.

Mathijs

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: November 28, 2010 14:23

Thanx Mathijs. Now I can return to my rehearsal. smiling smiley

Posted by: jacopo ()
Date: November 28, 2010 15:37

the SAL movie version isn't speed up, and it's a normal Open E:

E
B
Ab
E
B
E

this is me playing the slide

Date: November 28, 2010 16:32

jacopo

E
B
Ab
E
B
E

I only checked out the Youtube movies taken from SAL, and these are all sped up.

Mathijs

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 28, 2010 17:08

>>the SAL movie version isn't speed up, and it's a normal Open E:<<

depends on what version of SAL you have or which version was uploaded to YouTube.

the NTSC and Blue Ray editions are fine - the PAL version is sped up by 4% (which really bugged me^^)

you can keep the PAL, pal.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2010 20:20

"the PAL version is sped up by 4%"
So that makes a quarter-tone faster. A semi-tone faster is 8% up.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 28, 2010 20:26

Sped up!? They just do it electronically these days rather than chemically!? eye popping smiley

Boom boom, crap joke I know! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 28, 2010 22:41

His Majesty
Sped up!? They just do it electronically these days rather than chemically!? eye popping smiley

Boom boom, crap joke I know! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

This time it wasn't the band but the production company who carelessly neglected the issue.
the speed-up bug could have easily been avoided but when ignorance is bliss they must have been on some dope^^

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 28, 2010 22:57

I'm pretty sure that on LIB it is in open E with capo at 1st fret.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 29, 2010 00:09

@71Tele: based on what? Why not open D with a capo at the 3rd fret?

Date: November 29, 2010 00:21

Koen

Because you have two more frets to work with, which you need on the acoustic if sliding up to the octave, which is on the 13th fret with cap on 1st, but 15th fret with capo on 3rd - pretty hard to reach.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 29, 2010 07:52

71Tele

Because you have two more frets to work with, which you need on the acoustic if sliding up to the octave, which is on the 13th fret with cap on 1st, but 15th fret with capo on 3rd - pretty hard to reach.

I haven't listened to the Let It Bleed version for quite awhile, does he ever slide up to the octave on the acoustic?

Date: November 29, 2010 08:09

His Majesty
71Tele

I haven't listened to the Let It Bleed version for quite awhile, does he ever slide up to the octave on the acoustic?

I don't know, but I do!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 29, 2010 08:15

71 Tele: Was looking for the Dennis Miller thread (haven't logged in for a while). What happened to it?

Date: November 29, 2010 12:01

71Tele
Koen

I don't think he slides up to the octave at all. Keith, and the guys he spent a lot of time with at the time like Gram Parsons, Taj Mahall, Ry Cooder, Dave Mason, all used the trick to tune down an acoustic and then add a capo. This way, the strings are slacker, and an acoustic guitar then starts to sound better, i rings a bit more with some more sustain (in fact, many luthiers claim an acoustic, especially the 12-string, claim it is a G or C tuned instrument, not an A440). If I tune to D with a capo on the 3rd it sounds better and it is somewhat easier to play as you still are in the more common guitar keys visually of G, C and D, whereas with open E and capo on first you are visually in the keys of F, Bflat and C.

Of course, this is not at all conclusive, it could be both really.

Mathijs

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 29, 2010 14:40

jacopo

E
B
Ab
E
B
E

No offence - but this is just sad.

Posted by: Mick The Lip ()
Date: December 4, 2010 16:53

It's normal that each person has his point of wiew and all the critics are well accepted. The only thing that I have to say that your opinion Roll73 is completely different from the one of Tim Ries.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: December 4, 2010 17:40

Roll73
jacopo

E
B
Ab
E
B
E

Why? I think it's pretty good.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Date: December 5, 2010 01:32

skelly
Roll73
jacopo

E
B
Ab
E
B
E

Why? I think it's pretty good.

I don't see it as 'sad'. The guy is up there playing his guitar, singing a song; it's a good thing.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 5, 2010 03:24

He's trying too much to be Keith. Including the bum notes smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 5, 2010 05:04

Mathijs
71Tele
Koen

I don't think he slides up to the octave at all. Keith, and the guys he spent a lot of time with at the time like Gram Parsons, Taj Mahall, Ry Cooder, Dave Mason, all used the trick to tune down an acoustic and then add a capo. This way, the strings are slacker, and an acoustic guitar then starts to sound better, i rings a bit more with some more sustain (in fact, many luthiers claim an acoustic, especially the 12-string, claim it is a G or C tuned instrument, not an A440). If I tune to D with a capo on the 3rd it sounds better and it is somewhat easier to play as you still are in the more common guitar keys visually of G, C and D, whereas with open E and capo on first you are visually in the keys of F, Bflat and C.

Of course, this is not at all conclusive, it could be both really.

Mathijs

See your point, but slightly diverge. Once you put a capo on you only have the remaining part of the neck to work with below the capo. On an acoustic (since you have less access to the higher frets than on an electric guitar) this takes away the ability to use the octave, which would be the 12th fret without a capo. So there is a lot you cannot do with a slide if that is closed off to you. Now, I have no idea if he used open E with a capo on the first, or open D with a capo on the third , could have been either. AS YGTS IS in F (a rather strange guitar key), it is just as easy to play with capo on the 1st fret as anywhere else. Personally with the slide, I would rather be able to get to as many frets as possible. Without the slide (and playing "regular" guitar chords) it doesn't matter and you can get some quite nice voicings with the capo quite high up (I believe for Loving Cup, for example, he capos at the 5th fret and plays it in "D" ).

One reason to NOT tune up to open E (rather than DOWN to D) is that a lot of instruments are sensitive to the extra tension on the neck that comes with tuning up from concert pitch, though I think the potential damage of this has been sometimes exaggerated.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 5, 2010 15:21

Roll73
jacopo

E
B
Ab
E
B
E

'Sad' ? Why ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home