Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Satanic Promotional Silk padded sleeve - pictures
Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: November 21, 2010 23:54

G'd evening collectors

This story about the silk padded sleeve, does it exist or not has been going of for as long as I can remember. I just read the latest Record Collector and they run an article "200 rarest records of all time"

There I found this:

Well, I am pleased to be the first to bring you pictures of this album that may or may not exist.

Have a look on my www.stonesondecca.com page. There is a link on the first page that takes you into the grooves

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-22 19:16 by Jan Richards.

Re: Satanic Promotional Silk padded sleeve - pictures
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2010 00:26

WOW thanks for link Jan ....
Have read about the silk padded Satanic in Record Collector for
some years now ......but still not sure if packaging is the real deal or not

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 22, 2010 00:33

Well done Jan smileys with beer

HMN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 22, 2010 00:38

I remember we discussed this long time ago............I still have a feeling it's more of a myth ........but you never know

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 22, 2010 00:38

The most valuable artefact I know of for the Satanic Majesties Request album is a 3D promo that measures about 15 inches by 30 inches. A handful were made in 67 to support the advertising for the album and one found its way years later to the legendary Rock On record shop in Camden Town that was run by the equally legendary Ted Carroll and Roger Armstrong.

They had it sitting on their counter and welcomed bids starting at £50. This was in about 1977 and £50 was a lot of money then.

Maybe someone knows more about these fantastic cardboard advertising promos?

Off topic note - in 1979 when Elvis Costello was searching for a new sound he went to Rock On and literally picked up the whole soul and Ska sections and bought every one of them. Months later Get Happy was released and those influences ooze out of every groove.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 22, 2010 03:21

A couple of years back, somebody on here sent me a picture of the alleged "padded silk sleeve" promo lp and it was totally different to the one on your site Jan.

The one in the picture I saw had no 3D picture but instead a piece of padded silk that merely said the Rolling Stones. If I remember correctly, this was red writing on a cream background (or vice virsa). The rest of the cover was standard with the blue clouds. Maybe someone has a picture of that one.

At least one of these must be fake, but the question is which?
The plot thickens!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: November 22, 2010 04:47

I posted a mock up of what I saw some time ago and it was the same as this new one that has just popped up in Stonesvikings. I either posted the pic or mailed it to either Matlee or Archangel only the one I saw was in white silk not coloured.I did the mockup to try and show rather than describe it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 22, 2010 05:34

Silver Dagger
The most valuable artefact I know of for the Satanic Majesties Request album is a 3D promo that measures about 15 inches by 30 inches. A handful were made in 67 to support the advertising for the album and one found its way years later to the legendary Rock On record shop in Camden Town that was run by the equally legendary Ted Carroll and Roger Armstrong.

They had it sitting on their counter and welcomed bids starting at £50. This was in about 1977 and £50 was a lot of money then.

Off topic note - in 1979 when Elvis Costello was searching for a new sound he went to Rock On and literally picked up the whole soul and Ska sections and bought every one of them. Months later Get Happy was released and those influences ooze out of every groove.

Very true about EC and Get Happy. Fantastic record too. !20 Hits 20!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2010 09:35

Some guy on an American collector's show, probably PBS, probably Antiques Roadshow, brought in that large Satanic Majesties 'artifact' you mentioned. It was really cool.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: November 22, 2010 09:47

Silver Dagger

Silver Dagger I think I have seen the item you are referring to. One was sold on Ebay about 3 or 4 months ago, someone here might have archived the image. It looked very cool, with psychedelic text printed in the margins of the display. It was an impressive item.

Date: November 22, 2010 09:49

Jan Richards thank you for posting this link.

Much like Rockman, I have read about the padded Satanic item in Record Collector for many years now, and I wasn't even convinced it existed.

Date: November 22, 2010 11:55

bolexman
Silver Dagger

Silver Dagger I think I have seen the item you are referring to. One was sold on Ebay about 3 or 4 months ago, someone here might have archived the image. It looked very cool, with psychedelic text printed in the margins of the display. It was an impressive item.

Found it. Is this the one you saw bolexman? It was on sale for $8000. Crazy. Wish I'd bought it for £50 back in 77.

[garyrocks.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 22, 2010 12:00

Silk Padded Sleeve confused smiley

Sometimes I wish I was English..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 22, 2010 12:38

great story
thanks

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 14:06

sound very strange for many a reason:
1. the inner bag looks VG, the sheet of paper looks VG-- and the cover is MINT;
2. all my DECCA test pressings come in inner sleeves, like this one does. None of
mine has a similar document, but that's not the point;
3. the promo album had to have a different cover as the holograms had not been
delivered in time: how can it be this album has a 3D?
4. Is it possible to cross-check the date when they went to Mount Vernon (NY) with
Michel Cooper and the date stamped on the labels?
5. In my opinion, we might discover that dates collide...
6. I have a copy of this promo album that seems to be closer to the truth and is
very similar to the one mentioned by VUDICUS. I don't dare to state that my
copy is the genuine one, but:
a. the 'pudded cushion silkscreen sleeve' consists of five brown velvet letters
compiling STONES placed inside the box of the cover where the 3D hologram had
to be place is delivered in time;
b. the cover is a finished one, but the hologram and you can clearly see that such
a hologram has never been sticked onto it. Surprisingly enough, the white box
has a blue border, as they were not sure of the size of the holograms and were
ready for size variations;
c. Why to write STONES with velvet letters (very psych and typical of the age)?
Because nowhere on cover you can read it's a RS album...
d. rest is the same of any other album you already know, red cloudy inner sleeve
included

A minimum of three copies of this version of mine exist, is this can somehow help
Ciao, Luca

Date: November 22, 2010 14:25

Silver Dagger
bolexman
Silver Dagger

Found it. Is this the one you saw bolexman? It was on sale for $8000. Crazy. Wish I'd bought it for £50 back in 77.

[garyrocks.wordpress.com]

Thats it Silver Dagger! Well done finding that link, thanks!
Its an interesting item. But what a price. Great to see it again though. smiling smiley

OT- the company that made the 3D Satantic image was called Varivue, and they were based in New York. They tried to drum up more business by making some prototype 3D covers of Sgt Pepper and Cream's Disraeli Gears. I was lucky enough to buy one of the Disraeli Gears prototypes for the bargain price of $200... I've seen them sell at auction for anything from $1500 to $7000. It looks great, being a full 12" by 12" 3D image.

Date: November 22, 2010 15:12

Here it is. The winning bid - a cool £8062.65. Recession, what recession?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-22 19:04 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 22, 2010 18:41

I was following the development on that promo stand mysef. It went pretty high, didn't it....

Luca, this is probably the version you have?

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: November 22, 2010 18:55

A few comments on your points Luca:

1. This can very well be the case, maybe the silk is of such a quality so that it does not show any wear
4. I dont have any info on the date of shooting of the coverpictures. But it was done in US and they returned from the states on September 29th. So there would be enough of time to get a few sample 3D pictures. The letter with this album is dated on October 30th

I think that the cover you have is a test that they did before receiving the 3D pictures. Maybe they did a suggestion just in case they would not get 3D pictures. I think that your cover is a genuine one and maybe the very first version for the LP, but is it the silk cover that Record Collector has in mind?

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: November 22, 2010 19:13

A few questions on the silk cover that I have documented on my page:

Stonesondecca Satanic

Why would anybody put this silk stuff on a Satanic sleeve and do it so professionally?
Why would anybody do it on a sleeve that has a test pressing inside?
From where would they get an original Decca letter dated before the issue of the LP?

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 22, 2010 20:15

Maybe we could send a link to Mr. Wymans Q&A thing and see if he has any ideas?
Although he does not own a copy, maybe he has some recollections of it.

Date: November 23, 2010 02:33

Silver Dagger
Here it is. The winning bid - a cool £8062.65. Recession, what recession?

Great find Silver Dagger never seen it before.
Wow is not the right word , craaaaaazzzzyyy price !!!

HMN

Date: November 23, 2010 02:37

Jan Richards
A few questions on the silk cover that I have documented on my page:

Stonesondecca Satanic

As usual, great job Jan smileys with beer
This thread desserve to be the thread of the month.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 02:38 by Honestman.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 03:55

This is a fantastic thread and very interesting. I am amazed by the sluthing done by you hard core collectors. I would think if there were silk padded sleeves someone here would have at least seen them? So that link is quite interesting finally showing what it looks like. But it seems there would be a few more first hand encounters here from the hard core collectors...Urbanjungle? You ever see it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 04:13 by whitem8.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 23, 2010 04:53

I am skeptical. Besides the fact that it seems that none of the Stones experts here on IORR has ever seen one of these...

(1) The assembly of the fabric onto the cover is fairly sloppy:

And the document...

(2) The order of tracks 2 & 3 on Side 1 of the album ("Citadel" & "In Another Land" ) is reversed.

(3) Same mistake on Side 2: The order of tracks 3 & 4 is reversed ("Gomper" & "2000 Light Years From Home" ).

(4) The word "AND" is erroneously added to the title "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)"

(5) Keith had dropped the "s" at the end of his last name briefly in the late 60's. Notice that his name is printed on the record label as "Keith Richard" without an "s" at the end. Yet this document spells it "Richards" with an "s" at the end.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 23, 2010 10:29

funny thread, first, why was this made?
second, i was listening to satanic right now and it´s as always, i don´t know whether i like it or not. when it comes to rainbow or light years i like it, when it comes to sing this song then i only think of them trying to be avantgarde - wannabes

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:12

My 2 cents for what they are worth:

Padded Satanic: I have always been a sceptic and I still don't buy it. The pictures show mint silk but with a less than perfect 3D that is stained in the top right corner.

Satanic Display: Yes please! I only have the giant 3D, not the backing board. Sadly I didn't go all the way in the recent auction. It went high for an album promo item but it's beautiful and in fabulous condition. Very comparable with a early 60's concert poster price wise so not a total shock.

Alternate Satanic Slick: One day I will post this here... it does exist :-)

Date: November 23, 2010 11:23

schillid
I am skeptical. Besides the fact that it seems that none of the Stones experts here on IORR has ever seen one of these...

(1) The assembly of the fabric onto the cover is fairly sloppy:

A silk padded thing could be sloppy IMO.

schillid
And the document...

(2) The order of tracks 2 & 3 on Side 1 of the album ("Citadel" & "In Another Land" ) is reversed.

(3) Same mistake on Side 2: The order of tracks 3 & 4 is reversed ("Gomper" & "2000 Light Years From Home" ).

(4) The word "AND" is erroneously added to the title "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)"

(5) Keith had dropped the "s" at the end of his last name briefly in the late 60's. Notice that his name is printed on the record label as "Keith Richard" without an "s" at the end. Yet this document spells it "Richards" with an "s" at the end.

2-3 & 4 No offense Schillid, but have you ever seen a letter without mistakes, or a STONES thing without mistakes ?

5 I've read in a Keith's interview published in 1979, that the use of the S
was a total mess for him, once they used it, once they didn't, and long time before it become official to adding a S to RICHARD.

Btw, I agreed, it's so amazing to see this sleeve for the first time ever that one couldn't believe it , but according to what Jan wrote on his STONES DECCA Page, with all these pictures and also the comments of Whiskey (read it on the NSV Board)
here

Satanic Page NSV Board

I believe like Jan that it's the real thing. One couldn't be 100 % sure
it's just my thoughts.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 11:35 by Honestman.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 14:26

Thanks for the dating the shooting in Mount Vermount in September...
Talking about the meaning of silkscreen, let's not forget that even some CD's from the early 90's were listed as 'silkscreen label' in Record Collector and all what you got were CD's with printed labels instead of the old-styled CBS silver discs...
I mean that I'd avoid taking too seriously the description of the promo TSMR given by Record Collector: can you describe something you've never come across?
In my opinion, we might guess that the silky feeling you got when you touch the cover was given by the five letters made of velvet.
The picture you've posted is my copy of the advance TSMR: the grey marble table lying under the record is still in my kitchen...
I got it from a Dutch circuit of collectors or rare psych albums and I've seen another copy - exactly the same - in another Italian collection.

The more I look the pictures you've posted, the more I convince myself that the cover has been made very recently... How could it stand three decades that well?
It's not up to me to decide if my copy is the holy grail or not - I'm not that experienced -, but I've seen too many counterfeits through the my 35+ years of RS collecting to be more that sure that it's not genuine...
In my opinion, there's no need to say,
Luca

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 14:28 by 1963luca0.

Date: November 23, 2010 15:19

I have found this thread to be the best read at IORR for a long time, the photos and information provided here have been fascinating... The different opinions have been very good too. Thanks to everyone who has taken time to share on this topic- I am a collector of Stones vinyl myself and am always entertained by the mysteries and riddles you encounter when collecting.

I read the other thread at the "Collector's cafe" page, thanks for the link Honestman. Fascinating to read Whiskey describe a very similar item long ago, down here in Australia. Makes me think the item posted by Jan Richards is legit.

But what to make of Luca's item? Especially if he saw another one in an Italian collection? I suspect the only way to confirm the legitimacy of either item is for a second copy to be located. Another line of inquiry would be for Record Collector to provide more information on what they know... if anything...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home