Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Humble Pie
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 1, 2012 22:55

After the recent thread about Marriott I decided to give Humble Pie a listen and really enjoyed what I heard.

Any fans here? Is there a classic album I should get or is a comp the best bet? Most of what seemed to have Mariott on lead vocals did Frampton sing much?

Re: OT: Humble Pie
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 1, 2012 22:58

Rocking the Fillmore................most tracks are on youtube to check out........here's one..........

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 1, 2012 23:00

Try Rock On, it had a couple good Frampton songs on it.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 1, 2012 23:12

I really like Eat It, the double lp, and the King biscuit live at Winterland release because they both feature the Blackberries prominently. Smokin' is a great album, too.

And, of course, the Blackberries were Venetta Fields, Clydie King and Billie Barnum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-01 23:37 by andrewm.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 2, 2012 00:25

In 1972, every long haired jean jacketed pot smoking teen rocker in the USA had "Smokin"- it is the most focused and hardet rocking Pie album and was a well deserved Top Ten hit. I actually prefer "the first LP. As Safe As Yesterday Is- more in the early Traffic/late Small Faces vein, rural UK getting it together in the country vibe.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 2, 2012 00:43

Braincapers
After the recent thread about Marriott I decided to give Humble Pie a listen and really enjoyed what I heard.

Any fans here? Is there a classic album I should get or is a comp the best bet? Most of what seemed to have Mariott on lead vocals did Frampton sing much?

Lot of sharing on the vocals in the early Pie.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: May 2, 2012 01:00

EddieByword
Rocking the Fillmore................

I second Eddie's recommendation. That's the album that got me hooked.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Date: May 2, 2012 02:30

i love humble pie

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 2, 2012 02:52

The thread below is for you.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 2, 2012 02:56

I played this album to death when it first came out.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 2, 2012 03:02

misterfrias
EddieByword
Rocking the Fillmore................

I second Eddie's recommendation. That's the album that got me hooked.

This and GH Soup were my first two albums bought on the same day in 1973..................I still play both of them loud to this day and still revel in every minute......ahhhh.......

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2012 09:49

Eat It is a great album. Very expansive and diverse and a killer KILLER version of Black Coffee and a cool version of Honkey Tonk Woman. A very underrated band, and I wish I could have seen them in the day. Anyone here see them in concert? Give some reviews please.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 2, 2012 09:52

Smoking contains their best self written songs. It has the best production and as someone pointed out earlier, it is the most focussed. Plus it contains the incredible 30 Days In The Hole.

Date: May 2, 2012 10:50

whitem8
Eat It is a great album. Very expansive and diverse and a killer KILLER version of Black Coffee and a cool version of Honkey Tonk Woman. A very underrated band, and I wish I could have seen them in the day. Anyone here see them in concert? Give some reviews please.

My friend toured around Japan with Humble Pie as a video director in 1973.
He said they were awfully homesick in the middle of the tour.
Anyway, they had a legendary performance in our country at that time.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 2, 2012 16:03

Great band,saw them a couple of times live,Steve Marriott was an amazing showman...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 2, 2012 16:04

Toru A
The thread below is for you.
[www.iorr.org]

Thanks!

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: May 2, 2012 16:22

I think I would start with the Definitive Collection if I were you. It includes some of their best stuff, like Big Black Dog which has some pretty good riffing and Live With Me which really builds up to its climax.

If you prefer to go further from there, I don't think there is much quality difference between their first 6 albums As Safe as Yesterday Is/Town and country/Humble Pie/Rock on/Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore/Smokin' . One really good song which is not on any of these is Wrist Job, which was the B-side of their first single and actually a Small Faces leftover I think.

Which brings me to my opinion about Steve Marriott : I think his songwriting started to deterioate at the end of the Small Faces career (as witnessed by the Autumn Stone album). Unfortunately this continued in Humble Pie. So although I think Humble Pie are pretty good (and have all their records), I always thought they were a disappointment compared to the fabulous Small Faces. So if you don't have any Small Faces stuff, I would try to get hold of their Immediate stuff if I were you. All or Nothing, Tin Soldier, Afterglow , I'm only Dreaming are a few of their truly amazing songs.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 2, 2012 16:57

As a teenager I used to crash into gigs a lot and when I could try to sneak backstage. This I managed to do at my local gig, the Roundhouse in Camden, north London, when Steve Marriott's All Stars came to town.

I walked into the band's dressing room which was fairly large and I wasn't immediately noticed. I sat myself down when Marriott came over, put his arm round my shoulder and in broad Cockney said: 'allo mate, how ya doin?' and proceeded to share a bottle of brandy with me. I'd never drunken anything stronger than beer but I took a swig and tried my hardest not to puke it all back up again.
He settled in next to me, asked me if I enjoyed the show and while he continued to talk to all and sundry around he kept saying "ere, ya go son, 'ave another swig." After 10 minutes I felt positively ill and reeled out of there to sit down in the cold air outside before walking home, completed sozzled. But what a nice man he was.

Date: May 2, 2012 16:59

Toru, did you see them when they were in Japan. I was too young in the early 70's to even know who they were.... and didn't starting listening to them until I was in high school in the 80s. Smokin was the first album by them I got and was captivated by Thirty Days in the Hole.

Ropeni, come on my man! Give more of a story, you saw them several times. What kind of party was it? What were some of their best ones you thought they played live? How was the audience? Give it up....

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:18

The Self Titled album has some great tracks on it, like their bitchin' cover of Muddy Waters I'm Ready & Red Light Mama, Red Hot, plus Marriott's amazing Theme From Skint and the epic Live With Me (not the stones song).

"Rock On" has Peter Framptons best vocal "Shine On" which is pure 70's pop gold, Plus the amazing Sour Grain, which every other song on The Black Crowe's Amorica seems to be based on. It's also includes a personal fave 79th & Sunset, which could've been on Exile in anohter life. And another epic in Stone cold Fever.

"Smokin" is considered the classic. 30 Days In THe Hole being the quintessential Marriott Humble Pie Song. Lots of cool riffs on songs like The Fixer & Sweet Peace & Time but they do suffer a bit from excessive length.
A real gem on this one is opener "Hot N Nasty", which lives up to it's title.The Roadrunner jam is groovy as f**k too.

From here on it gets spotty. Eat It has that great version of Black Coffee, Get Down To It (a lesser Hot N Nasty, IMO) and the humourous Beckton Dumps but not much else.

Thunderbox has a great cover of I Can't Stand The Rain and Ann Peebles' 99 Lbs (which is the basis for the Crowes version) plus a decent groove rocker in No Way, and Rally With Ali, which opens with the sickest breakbeat never sampled outside of Slave.

Look up the informal Scrubbers Sessions too, amazing stuff on there.

Date: May 3, 2012 01:41

Silver Dagger
As a teenager I used to crash into gigs a lot and when I could try to sneak backstage. This I managed to do at my local gig, the Roundhouse in Camden, north London, when Steve Marriott's All Stars came to town.

I walked into the band's dressing room which was fairly large and I wasn't immediately noticed. I sat myself down when Marriott came over, put his arm round my shoulder and in broad Cockney said: 'allo mate, how ya doin?' and proceeded to share a bottle of brandy with me. I'd never drunken anything stronger than beer but I took a swig and tried my hardest not to puke it all back up again.
He settled in next to me, asked me if I enjoyed the show and while he continued to talk to all and sundry around he kept saying "ere, ya go son, 'ave another swig." After 10 minutes I felt positively ill and reeled out of there to sit down in the cold air outside before walking home, completed sozzled. But what a nice man he was.

Wow what a great story Silver dagger, amazing! A memory you will never forget. Also crazy how easy it was for you to get in there and hang with him. Sad he passed on too young.

Date: May 3, 2012 03:08

whitem8
Toru, did you see them when they were in Japan. I was too young in the early 70's to even know who they were.... and didn't starting listening to them until I was in high school in the 80s. Smokin was the first album by them I got and was captivated by Thirty Days in the Hole.

Ropeni, come on my man! Give more of a story, you saw them several times. What kind of party was it? What were some of their best ones you thought they played live? How was the audience? Give it up....

whitem8,

I was too young, too.smiling smiley
I began to go to the rock concert from 1974 but I clearly remember Humble Pie, Beck, Bogert & Appice and Ten Years After came to Japan at the same month of 1973.
My friend, he is the music photographer and ten years older than me, traveled with Pie for the film shooting.
Strangely, he still owns the master tape of 16mm film footage of their Japan tour.
Although he hopes it can be released officially, he can do nothing because A&M and Steve Marriott no longer exist.sad smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 3, 2012 03:10

To this very second, one of my top 100 songs of all time, sometimes up to #4

Date: May 3, 2012 03:40

Yup, probably my favorite Humble Pie song. Thirty Days in the Hole is just a full on swaggering rock and roll extravaganza. Which some wonderful gospel backing vocals.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 3, 2012 04:19

whitem8
Yup, probably my favorite Humble Pie song. Thirty Days in the Hole is just a full on swaggering rock and roll extravaganza. Which some wonderful gospel backing vocals.
Right on man, it has it all... sex, drugs and rock and roll.

btw- I was mildly amused (at myself) as I re-read this thread and saw where someone posted the link to a previous HP thread on IORR, from 2 years ago... and I posted the exact same video of the same song in tha thread, without realizing it... so at least I am consistent winking smiley

ps
How the hell is it May 2, 2012 already?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 3, 2012 08:23

Love this one from Eat It.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home