Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Taylor was on heroin too?
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: April 26, 2012 20:49

Keith's struggle with addiction is well documented, but I don't know much of Mick T's use of drugs. Was it Keith who introduced him to smack? As far as I've heard, he was pretty strung out just before he left the band. Could this be an unofficial reason for leaving? That he couldn't keep up with their lifestyle?

Re: Mick Taylor was on heroin too?
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 26, 2012 21:02

Yes of course. He has said it himself many times. He just had a new child with Rose and the heroin thing doesn't make for good family life unless you are Anita Pallenberg.

He struggled with addiction for years, lost all his guitars to dope, almost didn't make it back out the other side.

Thanks God he did. And prayers for all the others in this world who are going through the nightmare that is narcotics addiction. peace

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 26, 2012 21:22

Naturalust
Yes of course. He has said it himself many times. He just had a new child with Rose and the heroin thing doesn't make for good family life unless you are Anita Pallenberg.

He struggled with addiction for years, lost all his guitars to dope, almost didn't make it back out the other side.

Thanks God he did. And prayers for all the others in this world who are going through the nightmare that is narcotics addiction. peace

Well, you seem to be well informed, brother. God bless you.

Date: April 26, 2012 21:51

Methadone queue in LA in 1988, confirmed by Michael Kevin himself...

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: April 26, 2012 21:54

It would seem like he started fooling around with H during the making of Exile...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 26, 2012 22:14

Naturalust
lost all his guitars to dope

Not all. As I understand it he sold his two '59 LP's and he used with the Stones, and 'a 52 telecaster'. I understand this was '83, and the total sum was $25.000.

Mathijs

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 26, 2012 22:55

DandelionPowderman

Hard to believe. I didn't know MT lived in L.A. I saw him in a show around '90 in Seattle. He did not look well.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 26, 2012 23:00

I've always read that he went into the band a drug-free vegetarian and left pretty raggedly...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:14

How could he have avoided the drugs?? Really, there's Keith, hanging with dealers and Gram Parsons, and while at Keith's Nellcote, the drugs were delivered to their door! He is lucky to be alive, indeed. And then he screwed up his back and got hooked on pain meds....a rough time, he's had.

Date: April 27, 2012 02:23

Look at all those in the Stones circle who got sucked in: Taylor, Jimmy Miller, Marshall Chess - even Charlie for a time. It's fortunate that Taylor is one of the survivors.

Date: April 27, 2012 02:39

My theory....

Mick Jagger thought that one heroin heavy user member was enough...he did not need two. So the best way of ending was "you say you leave". The rest is story.

Leaving the band on his own will?...Come on....In exchange for nothing?.....

(a bit conspiranoic or....not)...

Date: April 27, 2012 02:44

emotionalbarbecue
My theory....

Mick Jagger thought that one heroin heavy user member was enough...he did not need two. So the best way of ending was "you say you leave". The rest is story.

Leaving the band on his own will?...Come on....In exchange for nothing?.....

(a bit conspiranoic or....not)...

Well, supposedly Jagger was totally taken aback when Taylor told him at a party that he was leaving. As the band was about ready to go into the studio and had not made preperations for a replacement, I tend to believe the conventional story on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 03:54 by 71Tele.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:01

I dont buy it all that Taylor was forced out and I also believe Jagger was more keen on him staying than Richards at the time but thats only my opinion and nothing more...

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:34

Heroin and cocaine yes. In fact,MT himself said he wanted to leave the band because of the 'lifestyle' involved.smoking smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:02

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Hard to believe. I didn't know MT lived in L.A. I saw him in a show around '90 in Seattle. He did not look well.

He lived there for a few years. My band opened for him at the Palomino, and he produced some demos for a friend of mine. He was wearing a corset. I don't know if it was for his back or to hide his paunch. I got a picture with him somewhere. Still got his guitar pick. Nice guy. A bit guarded. For a while he lived right near Pierce College in the SFV.

Date: April 27, 2012 04:14

tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

He lived there for a few years. My band opened for him at the Palomino, and he produced some demos for a friend of mine. He was wearing a corset. I don't know if it was for his back or to hide his paunch. I got a picture with him somewhere. Still got his guitar pick. Nice guy. A bit guarded. For a while he lived right near Pierce College in the SFV.

I was living there too at that time. Topanga Canyon mostly, remember seeing him at some other shows. Backstage at Sting's 40th Birthday party at the Hollywood Bowl comes to mind and at a couple shows with Little Feat too.

Ok Tom time to scan the picture of you and MT and post it up here for us. You know you were gonna get called on that as soon as you said something. Don't worry we won't be judging you, only looking at Mick. lol 71Tele put his picture with Keith up...your turn now. peace

Date: April 27, 2012 05:15

Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I'll try to find it. I saw him at the Roxy (with Carla Olson, I think), and I remember him sweating bullets up there, and he couldn't get his pedals to work. Axl and Izzy were there in the audience, thinking they owned the place. I used to see Ian McLagan around this time, too. We opened for him at...what's the name of that place...I gotta think. Anyway, that was fun. Mac and I were pounding down beers before his set. I gotta remember the name of that place. Sorry.

I was living there too at that time. Topanga Canyon mostly, remember seeing him at some other shows. Backstage at Sting's 40th Birthday party at the Hollywood Bowl comes to mind and at a couple shows with Little Feat too.

Ok Tom time to scan the picture of you and MT and post it up here for us. You know you were gonna get called on that as soon as you said something. Don't worry we won't be judging you, only looking at Mick. lol 71Tele put his picture with Keith up...your turn now. peace

I'll try to find it. I saw him at the Roxy (with Carla Olson, I think), and I remember him sweating bullets up there, and he couldn't get his pedals to work. Axl and Izzy were there in the audience, thinking they owned the place. I used to see Ian McLagan around this time, too. We opened for him at...what's the name of that place...I gotta think. Anyway, that was fun. Mac and I were pounding down beers before his set. I gotta remember the name of that place. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 05:20 by tomk.

Date: April 27, 2012 05:21

tomk
Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Raji's was the name of the club. Wonderful place/dump.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:06

We will just have to wait for the never to be finished auto biography, Too Young To Be That Good, the Mick Taylor Story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 07:09 by lapaz62.

Date: April 27, 2012 07:11

I think I read somewhere that it was Andy Johns who really f**ked MT up.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:11

Mick Taylor was on heroin too?

Ask Charlie

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:23

Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Yes - I want to see BOTH pictures, please. Tele - can you repost yours or tell me which thread it's in?
Naturalust - I always appreciate your compassion towards those who suffer with this nightmare.
Peace, Love, and the Rolling Stonessmoking smiley

Date: April 27, 2012 07:37

tomk
tomk
Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I knew it too Tom, that and the Troubadour and the Roxy and then that one place on Santa Monica Blvd. near MCCabe's guitar shop,other side of the street; We played some of the same halls it seems. We held down the Sat. night gig at Toi on Sunset for a good while as well. I escaped to Northern CA around 1993 and haven't looked back since.
lmfao on your comment of Axl and Izzy at the Roxy. Like I said earlier we used to rehearse in the same wherehouse in the SF Valley, before Izzy came along. Their attitude doesn't surprise me one bit. Never could stand Axl from day one. Keep us posted on the photo, it would be great to see. peace

Date: April 27, 2012 08:04

Naturalust
tomk
tomk
Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I knew it too Tom, that and the Troubadour and the Roxy and then that one place on Santa Monica Blvd. near MCCabe's guitar shop,other side of the street; We played some of the same halls it seems. We held down the Sat. night gig at Toi on Sunset for a good while as well. I escaped to Northern CA around 1993 and haven't looked back since.
lmfao on your comment of Axl and Izzy at the Roxy. Like I said earlier we used to rehearse in the same wherehouse in the SF Valley, before Izzy came along. Their attitude doesn't surprise me one bit. Never could stand Axl from day one. Keep us posted on the photo, it would be great to see. peace

Good to know I'm not alone regarding the LA scene. The Music Machine. Cocoanut Teazer, Madame Wongs, Troubadour, I played all those places. There was one dump on Ivar I really liked. Then to Canter's for a cheese sandwich.The Palomino is the one I liked the most. Right before they closed, we had our own Hoot nights. Shame what happened to that place. My wife knew Slash before he was Slash. He used to come into her print shop. A year or so later, he was famous and she said "Slash? What's this Slash bull****? That's Saul."

Date: April 27, 2012 08:20

tomk
Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Interesting...But a corset? Really? I remember that his eyes just looked dead. I don't know what he was on, but it was something. He had a band of nobodies with him, with some short fat guy on guitar who played Keith's Can't You Hear Me Knocking part in standard tuning. Taylor seemed rather joyless. I recall being very dispirited because he was such a hero of mine and I never got to see him with the Stones.

Date: April 27, 2012 08:23

memphiscats
Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Yes - I want to see BOTH pictures, please. Tele - can you repost yours or tell me which thread it's in?
Naturalust - I always appreciate your compassion towards those who suffer with this nightmare.
Peace, Love, and the Rolling Stonessmoking smiley

I'll try to find it. I still have a framed copy hanging next to my guitars. It's a younger and handsomer Keith - and a younger and much handsomer 71tele!

Date: April 27, 2012 08:28

71Tele
tomk
Naturalust
tomk
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Interesting...But a corset? Really?

I kid you not. I remember watching from a distance talking to somebody. He lifted up his shirt/jacket as if he had an itch and there it was, big white thing wrapped around his belly. It didn't look like a woman's corset, but it looked like it was something to hold in his gut. Did he have back problems? I've heard some men use them for that reason.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 08:40 by tomk.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 27, 2012 08:55

Some great, interesting posts on this thread, from the LA cognoscenti and musicians! Looking forward to seeing the photos.

And Lapaz, that's an excellent title for MickT's bio.

Date: April 27, 2012 09:47

Too Young To Be That Good, would love to claim the Title but its a stolen quote about Mick, can't remember who said it but it would be a good Title.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 27, 2012 11:15

I thought Taylor moved to LA in '80 or so, and left to New York in '87, if I recall correctly. They seem to all live and move to the same cities in those days -Wood, Ian MacLagan, Don Johnson, Taylor, Bobby Keys, Anita Pallenberg.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home