Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick's harp on "Midnight Rambler" - LA Friday
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 6, 2012 17:04

Sorry, I know this is the 100th or so LA Friday thread, but I just had to put the spotlight on this one. Mick's harmonica here sounds dirtier and LOUDER than I have ever heard it! Goddamn it sounds good. That alone makes this one of my favorite versions of MR ever, along with the exquisite guitar work and drumming. But when MJ starts blowing into that harp, it's like he's in the room with you. Well done. He's even so into it with his playing that he keeps going for a while when he's supposed to be singing the 2nd chorus.

Re: Mick's harp on "Midnight Rambler" - LA Friday
Posted by: R ()
Date: April 6, 2012 17:46

He's playing a Blues Harp and actually bending the notes in a blues fashion rather than performing with a generic sounding Lee Oskar and blowing major notes where minor ones are called for - as he does now.

The first blast is WAY too loud but they get him miked right after that.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 6, 2012 17:49

I'm with you imposter

Making my way through the show, I had to stop and listen....and then replay that damn song. Its a tad long, but that harp makes this song incredible.

Does it rival or surpass Ya Ya's or Brussels?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 17:50 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:50

Munichhilton
I'm with you imposter

Making my way through the show, I had to stop and listen....and then replay that damn song. Its a tad long, but that harp makes this song incredible.

I do not believe it comes close to those performances, but some think it is better.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 6, 2012 20:01

tkl7
Munichhilton
I'm with you imposter

I do not believe it comes close to those performances, but some think it is better.

Really? Not even CLOSE?

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 20:27

Munichhilton
tkl7
Munichhilton
I'm with you imposter

Really? Not even CLOSE?

For me, it has none of the rawness or power, plus it really goes off track in the middle section, just before the "Boston Strangler" part.

Date: April 7, 2012 00:16

Well I was talking about the SOUND as much as anything. It's so raw and in your face in the mix. But I think he plays really well too. I am not saying it's necessarily his BEST harp work on this particular song (though it is damn good IMO), but I have never heard a version of MR where the harp actually overshadows the other instruments. It really struck me the first time that I heard it.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 7, 2012 11:20

What I wrote in my review of he show in "forget ..." topic
"Great deep blues harp on MR."

I did not notice it before on the audience tape. Thanks for the multi tracks release

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: April 7, 2012 19:21

toomuchforme
What I wrote in my review of he show in "forget ..." topic
"Great deep blues harp on MR."

I did not notice it before on the audience tape. Thanks for the multi tracks release

Right. I does have this deep, guttural sound. I love it. I wish not to insult the great Ya-Ya's version, but I think this one makes it sound positively tame in comparison in all aspects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home