Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

new tour preserving stones style - if MT comes in?
Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: April 4, 2012 19:56

Hi All,

I dont know enough about Mick Taylor or Ronnie Wood to know for sure their capabilities...
Something that im thinking here....if, supposing that MT was asked to join up on a tour or similar, and as semi cover for keef, how would this work do you think?..
Obviously, Keef uses different tuning that gives certain songs a unique sound that standard tuning cant replicate. Can MT or Ronnie play proficiently in the same tunings or are they predominantly standard tuning?..

I really dont know what will pan out and i dont know only what i read here - it justs interests me this possibility?

thanks
Rich

Re: new tour preserving stones style - if MT comes in?
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:12

The Mick Taylor of today isn't the Mick Taylor of the early 70s. Sure, it would be nice to SEE him play with them again but he won't necessarily make them SOUND any better and they definitely won't sound like they did when he was in the band decades ago.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:21

yes i agree wholeheartedly, but what im saying is, Keith is unique sounding, would a taylor & wood combo sound too "quo"ish if you like (sorry to swear)..
yes there would no doubt be talented riffs etc, but it wouldnt catch the rythem guitar essence of the stones - is what im saying..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:39

NONE of them would sound like the did in say, 1973. We're not even sure what Keith has left in the tank, or what his arthritic fingers will allow. Ronnie seems to be the triumphant one, still ringing the bell. These are men approaching 70. God knows what we would get. I would be thankful if Mick Taylor could pull off a song or two as an added guest, on let's say Love in Vain. Does anyone know if he can still pull off a fast lead? Does he still play All Down the Line in concert?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2012 21:10

None of them are the guitarists they were 30 years ago. To have them all on stage would be emotionally satisfying and also they would be able to cover more territory now that Keith especially is a weaker player than he used to be.

Taylor almost always uses standard tuning, even for slide. Ronnie of course can play pedal steel in addition to guitar.

I am hoping we see all six living Rolling Stones onstage together.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 4, 2012 21:30

Exactly, what does it matter who's playing what/in what style just so long as we see OUR Band back on stage... Keith/Ron/MT, Charlie/Bill/ Darrel on uprite and of course himself on vocals

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 5, 2012 03:21

24FPS- Well said. Don't think MT has played ADTL in decades. Would love to her TWFNO and Winter and his majestic soloing on these two.

My thoughts are that MT and Wyman will tour when the Stones do play.Not only for nostalgia, but let's face it, someone needs to cover for Keith. I do think that Mick is very concerned about Keith's ability to hold up for 2 hrs a night.

Blondie and Daryl can stay home on this tour.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 5, 2012 03:25

Lots of smart analysis on this post. I'd personally rather hear MT play Sway, Winter and YCAGWYW but that's another debate.

No doubt that Keith is the weakest link now. Unfortunately.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home