Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith Richards on Fresh Air today!
Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: October 26, 2010 19:08

Title5Take1
open-g

Thanks for that link! Great interview. Keith was naughty at the end where he tells Terry Gross, "Good try, honey."

Yeah, that was really funny because Terry Gross is one of those legendary interviewer. Her voice is great -- very weird to see a picture of her because you always get the idea of what she looks like from her voice. Anyway, I don't know how many interviews he will be giving to promote the book (a few, or hundreds,) but still very interesting that he chose to do this one.

Same old questions he always gets, so I don't think he sounded bored or frustrated, or whatever, he's been answering these exact same questions forever.

How do you plug in an acoustic guitar? Don't jump on me -- just a question.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 26, 2010 19:52

My favorite part was where Keith said his biggest regret was replacing Mick T with Ronnie.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: October 26, 2010 23:31

Beauforde
Exactly. Juan Williams, liberal talking head, is fired by NPR for comments condsidered not politically correct...I get that left-wing propaganda organization's programming shoved down my throat on AFN 24 hours a day and I am often disappointed at how biased, intellectually dishonest, and Liberal-skewered their coverage, perspective, and opinions are. There is so little balance. NPR should have been taken off the public troth 30 years ago. Let them compete in the market place and see if they can find an audience, but to take U.S. taxpayer's money to indoctrinate generation after generation to their doctrinaire point of view and continue to pose as a 'neutral' and 'objective' news organization funded by the US taxpayer is outrageous.

God, I'm actually frightened by your point of view. (Also, how does anyone get a radio station shoved down their throat?) And for the record, NPR hasn't gotten money from the taxpayers since the early 80's. That's almost 30 years ago, so I guess you got your "should have been taken off the public troth 30 years ago" wish.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 27, 2010 02:32

Kind of regret starting the thread looking a what it's turned into. The comments pro and con regarding NPR have nothing to do with the interview itself. If you have nothing to say about it then don't post. It really is that simple...

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: October 27, 2010 03:02

lamemodem2
Beauforde
Exactly. Juan Williams, liberal talking head, is fired by NPR for comments condsidered not politically correct...I get that left-wing propaganda organization's programming shoved down my throat on AFN 24 hours a day and I am often disappointed at how biased, intellectually dishonest, and Liberal-skewered their coverage, perspective, and opinions are. There is so little balance. NPR should have been taken off the public troth 30 years ago. Let them compete in the market place and see if they can find an audience, but to take U.S. taxpayer's money to indoctrinate generation after generation to their doctrinaire point of view and continue to pose as a 'neutral' and 'objective' news organization funded by the US taxpayer is outrageous.

God, I'm actually frightened by your point of view. (Also, how does anyone get a radio station shoved down their throat?) And for the record, NPR hasn't gotten money from the taxpayers since the early 80's. That's almost 30 years ago, so I guess you got your "should have been taken off the public troth 30 years ago" wish.

God, I'm actually shocked at your ignorance of the facts. NPR still gets public funding. The local stations receive funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a taxpayer-funded, nonprofit, private corporation, created by Congress in 1967. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the parent company of PBS and NPR, received $420 million in taxpayer funds in 2010 and has requested $608 million for the next funding cycle that begins in 2013. Oh and Geroge Soros just 'gave' $1.8 million. We know how 'non-partisan' he is! That now settled, I get it shoved down my throat because I live in Germany and that is the only English-speaking radio station on my dial. Enough politics!!!!

Back to Keith. What I find realty interesting is how he truly 'dated' he sounds when speaking with interviewer Gross. Like a character from Mad Men. Honey, Darling, etc. Who else would get away with addressing a Journalist in this fashion in 2010 except Keith Richards?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: October 27, 2010 03:46

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 13:02 by misterfrias.

Date: October 27, 2010 04:25

misterfrias

*** Like an earlier poster, I wondered how one could hook up an acoustic guitar to a cassette player. confused smiley I had heard old reel to reels (specifically tube (aka valve) reel to reels) could be rigged as (electric) guitar amps but not cassette recorders. Anyone have any ideas?

I've wondered about this myself. As far as I know he first mentions this in a Guitar Player interview from 1977 but did not go into details.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 27, 2010 04:28

He didn't hook it up, just played it, and the microphone of the cassette player picked it up.

Date: October 27, 2010 05:42

That makes sense Koen but it is not what he said. He said something about hooking it up rather than recording into the recorder. He esentially used the recorder as amplifier, at least that was my understanding...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 18:38 by ChrisM.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 27, 2010 08:50

i wouldn't take that "hooked up" so literally (nor the misstatement that there are no electric guitars on JJF)
he doesn't mean he plugged an acoustic guitar in - here's how he's described the technique before:

"Just jam the mic right in the guitar and play it back through an extension speaker."
- Keith Richards, 2002, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

describing the same technique used on Street Fighting Man, which really *does* only have acoustic guitars:

"(Even the high-end lead part was through) a cassette player with no limiter.
Just distortion. Just two acoustics, played right into the mic, and hit very hard."
- Keith Richards, 1977, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

"That little microphone in there had something. If you overloaded it, it basically became a pick-up."
- Keith Richards, 2003, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 09:33 by with sssoul.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 27, 2010 10:57

Love Terry Gross talking with Keith.

Next, I'd like to him with Charlie Rose, who has mainly
interviewed Mick, as far as I know.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 27, 2010 17:29

MILKYWAY
My favorite part was where Keith said his biggest regret was replacing Mick T with Ronnie.

My biggest regret too.

Date: October 27, 2010 18:09

Beauforde
God, I'm actually shocked at your ignorance of the facts.

Really? You do understand that "local stations" aren't NPR, right? The only point I was trying to make is that NPR doesn't run on taxpayer money. They aren't on the public trough, as you put it.

As for the parent company, CPB, sure, they got $422 million in 2010. And almost 70% of that money, $281.85 million, went to public television. It's just not fair to try and use big numbers to make it seem like NPR is taking taxpayer money and shoving liberal-biased stories down your throat.

And you can't get a radio station shoved down your throat if you turn on the radio in your own car and tune it to NPR. Your actually shoving it down your own throat.

Date: October 27, 2010 18:48

Thanks for the quotes Ms Sssoul. I have not read the Guitar Player interview for some years even though I still have then mag. The English language is capable of conveying the most precise detail and subtle of nuances. There is a big difference between hooking up and recording directly into a tape machine. Ah, the joys of Keithspeak...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 27, 2010 19:31

with sssoul
i wouldn't take that "hooked up" so literally (nor the misstatement that there are no electric guitars on JJF)
he doesn't mean he plugged an acoustic guitar in - here's how he's described the technique before:

"Just jam the mic right in the guitar and play it back through an extension speaker."
- Keith Richards, 2002, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

describing the same technique used on Street Fighting Man, which really *does* only have acoustic guitars:

"(Even the high-end lead part was through) a cassette player with no limiter.
Just distortion. Just two acoustics, played right into the mic, and hit very hard."
- Keith Richards, 1977, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

"That little microphone in there had something. If you overloaded it, it basically became a pick-up."
- Keith Richards, 2003, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

it must have looked something like this depending on the model used.
this is the ealiest one, I believe. it's from 1964
Philips EL 3300

[www.drm-berlin.de]

Date: October 27, 2010 19:41

ahh thank you open-g honey! that photo really helps clarify what "just jam the mic right in the guitar"
and "it basically became a pick-up" could mean. i know i've read somewhere where he talks about
the mic being practically inside the guitar, which is a lot easier to picture now

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: October 27, 2010 19:50

Anyone got this recorded/saved down ?

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: October 27, 2010 19:57

lamemodem2
Beauforde
God, I'm actually shocked at your ignorance of the facts.

Really? You do understand that "local stations" aren't NPR, right? The only point I was trying to make is that NPR doesn't run on taxpayer money. They aren't on the public trough, as you put it.

As for the parent company, CPB, sure, they got $422 million in 2010. And almost 70% of that money, $281.85 million, went to public television. It's just not fair to try and use big numbers to make it seem like NPR is taking taxpayer money and shoving liberal-biased stories down your throat.

And you can't get a radio station shoved down your throat if you turn on the radio in your own car and tune it to NPR. Your actually shoving it down your own throat.

Don't be disingenuous. NPR "doesn't run on taxpayer money?"

Facts: Though NPR doesn't receive direct federal funding for operations, NPR does end up with federal funding in an indirect sense - from program fees and station dues from "member stations". Nearly 25% of the almost 1/2 Billion US$ that the CPB gets from the US taxpayer goes to NPR "member stations". They, in turn, funnel this money back to NPR as program fees and station dues. Forty percent of NPR's budget comes from these station fees. In addition, NPR gets nearly 3% of that CPB budget as "grants". In other words, if you include the money NPR gets from member stations and the CPB grants allocation you are talking hundreds of millions of CPB/taypayer funds funnled directly to NPR. Do the math and keep trying to tell yourself that NPR "doesn't run on taxpayer money". If you are intellectually honest you cannot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 20:00 by Beauforde.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 27, 2010 20:00

Pelle
Anyone got this recorded/saved down ?

There's probably a podcast available

Date: October 27, 2010 20:28

>> Anyone got this recorded/saved down ? <<

i sure seem to - there's a "download" button on the page open-g gave us a link to: [www.npr.org]
and i used it to download *something* that lasts 44+ minutes. now all i need to do is locate 44 minutes to listen to it in :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-27 20:30 by with sssoul.

Date: October 27, 2010 23:18

Beauforde
Facts: Though NPR doesn't receive direct federal funding for operations, NPR does end up with federal funding in an indirect sense - from program fees and station dues from "member stations". Nearly 25% of the almost 1/2 Billion US$ that the CPB gets from the US taxpayer goes to NPR "member stations". They, in turn, funnel this money back to NPR as program fees and station dues. Forty percent of NPR's budget comes from these station fees. In addition, NPR gets nearly 3% of that CPB budget as "grants". In other words, if you include the money NPR gets from member stations and the CPB grants allocation you are talking hundreds of millions of CPB/taypayer funds funnled directly to NPR. Do the math and keep trying to tell yourself that NPR "doesn't run on taxpayer money". If you are intellectually honest you cannot.

NPR is actually getting less than 5% of the CPB budget. And less than $20% of the money sent to stations is allowed to be used for program fees. And not even all of that gets sent back to NPR.

And you say that NPR is getting "hundreds of millions of CPB/taypayer funds." How is that possible when their entire 2009 revenues were only $164 million?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2010 23:39

now all i need to do is locate 44 minutes to listen to it in

..... Awww lurv...give yaself a lil' break from poppin' all that damn corn.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 29, 2010 06:31

listened to this... mostly the same old stuff (that goes for Terry Gross, too--dragging out the "Under My Thumb" critique). But it's interesting that keith refuses to expand upon or even summarize his criticisms of mick during the interview. He refers TG to "the book." You get the sense that he didn't realize those comments would get the attention they did, or that he regrets his publicist's decision to make hay from them (somewhat similar to his approach to Stones decisions in recent years).

also strange to discuss things like Altamont, but not brian?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-29 06:34 by cc.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home