Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: October 15, 2010 19:01

Re: But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
Date: October 15, 2010 19:16

Date: October 15, 2010 19:18

Date: October 15, 2010 19:20

Date: October 15, 2010 19:23

Date: October 15, 2010 19:23

Date: October 15, 2010 19:47

Date: October 15, 2010 20:00

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: October 15, 2010 20:02

Ahh thanx for all these..!! drinking smiley

Date: October 15, 2010 20:36

Date: October 15, 2010 20:40

Date: October 15, 2010 21:00

Date: October 15, 2010 21:36

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2010 21:50

Go Vo ...............

ROCKMAN

Date: October 15, 2010 22:10

Date: October 15, 2010 22:42

Date: October 15, 2010 23:08

Date: October 15, 2010 23:41

Date: October 16, 2010 19:46

Dedicated to Rockman celebration!!

Date: October 16, 2010 19:47

Date: October 16, 2010 19:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 21:13 by JJackFl.

Date: October 16, 2010 20:37

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 16, 2010 21:29

"Jones Wyman Watts Ian Stewart Richards and Jagger play a gig in Scotland in 1965"!?! eye popping smiley
ffs - that's the Crawdaddy Club in april 1963

thank you for posting this beautiful stuff, Vo - historical gaffes and all :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-16 21:31 by with sssoul.

Date: October 16, 2010 21:32

Date: October 16, 2010 21:48

Keith Richards in 2002: The Rolling Stone InterviewIn this freewheeling conversation, Richards waxes about his bad habits, Jagger's solo records and the possibility of retirement
By David Fricke
Oct 17, 2002
Keith Richards bolts out of the dark and into the light, grips the neck of his guitar like a rifle barrel and fires the opening call to joy of the Rolling Stones' 200203 world tour: the fierce chords of "Street Fighting Man," a blazing rush that for Richards is the sound of life itself. "My biggest addiction, more than heroin, is the stage and the audience," he says with gravelly cheer the next day, after that first show in Boston. "That buzz — it calls you every time." Richards, Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood will spend the next year on the road answering that call, celebrating forty years as a working band and the release of a twoCD retrospective, Forty Licks. "You're fighting upstream against this preconception that you can't do this at this age," snaps Richards, who turns fiftynine on December 18th. He has been through worse: a long dance with heroin in the 1970s; close calls with the law and death; his volatile lifelong relationship with Jagger. And Richards talks about all of it — as well as his ultimate jones, playing with the Stones — in this interview, conducted over vodka and cigarettes during two long nights in Boston and Chicago. "People should say, 'Isn't it amazing these guys can move like that? Here's hope for you all,' " he says with a grin. "Just don't use my diet."
How do you deal with criticism about the Stones being too old to rock & roll? Do you get pissed off? Does it hurt?
People want to pull the rug out from under you, because they're bald and fat and can't move for shit. It's pure physical envy — that we shouldn't be here. "How dare they defy logic?"

If I didn't think it would work, I would be the first to say, "Forget it." But we're fighting people's misconceptions about what rock & roll is supposed to be. You're supposed to do it when you're twenty, twenty five — as if you're a tennis player and you have three hip surgeries and you're done. We play rock & roll because it's what turned us on. Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf — the idea of retiring was ludicrous to them. You keep going — and why not?
You went right from being a teenager to being a Stone — no regular job, a little bit of art school. What would you be doing if the Stones had not lasted this long?
I went to art school and learned how to advertise, because you don't learn much art there. I schlepped my portfolio to one agency, and they said — they love to put you down — "Can you make a good cup of tea?" I said, "Yeah, I can, but not for you." I left my crap there and walked out. After I left school, I never said, "Yes, sir" to anybody.
If nothing had happened with the Stones and I was a plumber now, I'd still be playing guitar at home at night, or get the lads around the pub. I loved music; it didn't occur to me that it would be my life. When I knew I could play something, it was an added bright thing to my life: "I've got that, if nothing else."

Do you have nightmares that someday you'll hit the stage and the place will be empty — nobody bothered to come?
That's not a nightmare. I've been there: Omaha '64, in a 15,000seat auditorium where there were 600 people. The city of Omaha, hearing these things about the Beatles — they thought they should treat us in the same way, with motorcycle outriders and everything. Nobody in town knew who we were. They didn't give a shit. But it was a very good show. You give as much to a handful of people as you do to the others.
Do you have a pregig ritual — a particular drink or smoke?
I have them anyway [laughs]. I don't go in for superstition. Ronnie and I might have a game of snooker. But it would be superfluous for the Stones to discuss strategy or have a hug. With the Winos [his late Eighties solo band], it was important. They were different guys; we only did a couple of tours. I didn't mind. But with the Stones, it's like, "Oh, do me a favor! I'm not going to @#$%& hug you!"

At the height of your heroin addiction, would you indulge before a show?
No. I always cleaned up for tours. I didn't want to put myself in the position of going cold turkey in some little Midwestern town. By the end of the tour, I'm perfectly clean and should have stayed sober. But you go, "I'll just give myself a treat." Boom, there you are again.

Could you tell that you played better when you were clean?
I wonder about the songs I've written: I really like the ones I did when I was on the stuff. I wouldn't have written "Coming Down Again" [on 1973's Goat's Head Soup] without that. I'm this millionaire rock star, but I'm in the gutter with these other sniveling people. It kept me in touch with the street, at the lowest level.

On this tour, you're doing a lot of songs from Exile on Main Street — for most people, the band's greatest album. Would you agree?
It's a funny thing. We had tremendous trouble convincing Atlantic to put out a double album. And initially, sales were fairly low. For a year or two, it was considered a bomb. This was an era where the music industry was full of these pristine sounds. We were going the other way. That was the first grunge record.

Keith Richards in 1988: A Stone alone comes clean about his his life as a family man and his oh-so-vain mate Mick

Yes, it is one of the best. Beggars Banquet was also very important. That body of work, between those two albums: That was the most important time for the band. It was the first change the Stones had to make after the teenybopper phase. Until then, you went onstage fighting a losing battle. You want to play music? Don't go up there. What's important is hoping no one gets hurt and how are we getting out.

Keith Richards in 1981: Love, fallen rock stars and whether the Stones will make it another 20 years

I remember a riot in Holland. I turned to look at Stu [Ian Stewart] at the piano. All I saw was a pool of blood and a broken chair. He'd been taken off by stagehands and sent to the hospital. A chair landed on his head.

To compensate for that, Mick and I developed the songwriting and records. We poured our music into that. Beggars Banquet was like coming out of puberty.

The Stones are reviving a lot of rare, older material on this tour, such as "Heart of Stone" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." Why did you stop playing those songs?
Maybe they were songs that we tried once or twice and went, "That didn't work at all." I think we tried "Knocking" once the whole way through. When the actual song finished and we were into the jam, it collapsed totally. The wheels fell off. We tried it one other time — "We'll just do the front bit" — and neither satisfied us. Nobody wants to go near something that has a jinx on it. But you have to take the jinx off, take the voodoo away and have another look.

Are there Stones hits that you're sick of playing?
No, they usually disappear of their own accord. That's the thing about songs — you don't have to be scared of them dying. They keep poking you in the face. The Stones have always believed in the present. But "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Brown Sugar" and "Start Me Up" are always fun to play. You gotta be a real sourpuss, mate, not to get up there and play "Jumpin' Jack Flash" without feeling like, "C'mon, everybody, let's go!" It's like riding a wild horse.

The general assumption about the Stones' classic songs is that Mick wrote the words and you wrote the music. Do you deserve more credit for the lyrics — and Mick for the music?
It's been a progression from Mick and I sitting face to face with a guitar and a tape recorder, to after Exile, when everybody chose a different place to live and another way of working. Let me put it this way: I'd say, "Mick, it goes like this: 'Wild horses couldn't drag me away.' " Then it would be a division of labor, Mick filling in the verses. There's instances like "Undercover of the Night" or "Rock and a Hard Place" where it's totally Mick's song. And there are times when I come in with "Happy" or "Before They Make Me Run." I say, "It goes like this. In fact, Mick, you don't even have to know about it, because you're not singing" [laughs].

But I always thought songs written by two people are better than those written by one. You get another angle on it: "I didn't know you thought like that." The interesting thing is what you say to someone else, even to Mick, who knows me real well. And he takes it away. You get his take.

On Stones albums, you tend to sing ballads — "You Got the Silver," "Slipping Away," "The Worst" — rather than rockers.
I like ballads. Also, you learn about songwriting from slow songs. You get a better rock & roll song by writing it slow to start with, and seeing where it can go. Sometimes it's obvious that it can't go fast, whereas "Sympathy for the Devil" started out as a Bob Dylan song and ended up as a samba. I just throw songs out to the band.

Did "Happy" start out as a ballad?
No. That happened in one grand bash in France for Exile. I had the riff. The rest of the Stones were late for one reason or another. It was only Bobby Keys there and Jimmy Miller, who was producing. I said, "I've got this idea; let's put it down for when the guys arrive." I put down some guitar and vocal, Bobby was on baritone sax and Jimmy was on drums. We listened to it, and I said, "I can put another guitar there and a bass." By the time the Stones arrived, we'd cut it. I love it when they drip off the end of the fingers. And I was pretty happy about it, which is why it ended up being called "Happy."

How do you and Mick write now? Take "Don't Stop," for example, one of the four new songs on Forty Licks.
It's basically all Mick. He had the song when we got to Paris to record. It was a matter of me finding the guitar licks to go behind the song, rather than it just chugging along. We don't see a lot of each other — I live in America, he lives in England. So when we get together, we see what ideas each has got: "I'm stuck on the bridge." "Well, I have this bit that might work." A lot of what Mick and I do is fixing and touching up, writing the song in bits, assembling it on the spot. In "Don't Stop," my job was the fairy dust.

What would it take for the Stones to have hit singles now, the way you churned them out in the 1960s and 1970s?
I haven't thought like that for years. "Start Me Up" surprised me, honestly — it was a fiveyearold rhythm track. Even then, in '81, I wasn't aiming for Number One. I was into making albums.

It was important, when we started, to have hits. And it taught you a lot of things quickly: what makes a good record, how to say things in two minutes thirty seconds. If it was four seconds longer, they chopped it off. It was good school, but it's been so long since I've made records with the idea of having a hit single. I'm out of that game.Charlie Watts gets an enormous ovation every night when Mick introduces him. But Charlie's also quite an enigma — the quiet conscience of the Stones.
Charlie is a great English eccentric. I mean, how can you describe a guy who buys a 1936 Alfa Romeo just to look at the dashboard? Can't drive — just sits there and looks at it. He's an original, and he happens to be one of the best drummers in the world. Without a drummer as sharp as Charlie, playing would be a drag.

He's very quiet — but persuasive. It's very rare that Charlie offers an opinion. If he does, you listen. Mick and I fall back on Charlie more than would be apparent. Many times, if there's something between Mick and I, it's Charlie I've got to talk to.

For example?
It could be as simple as whether to play a certain song. Or I'll say, "Charlie, should I go to Mick's room and hang him?" And he'll say no [laughs]. His opinion counts.

How has your relationship with Ron Wood changed since he gave up drinking?
I tell Ronnie, "I can't tell the difference between if you're pissed out of your brain or straight as an arrow." He's the same guy. But Ronnie never got off the last tour. He kept on after we finished the last show. On the road it's all right, because you burn off a lot of the stuff you do onstage. But when you get home and you're not in touch with your environment, your family — he didn't stop. He realized he had to do it. It was his decision. When I found out about it, he was already in the spin dryer.

Ronnie has always had a light heart. That's his front. But there is a deeper guy in there. I know the feeling. I probably wouldn't have gotten into heroin if it hadn't been a way for me to protect myself. I could walk into the middle of all the bullshit, softly surrounded by this cool, be my own man inside, and everybody had to deal with it. Mick does it his way. Ronnie does it his way.

Do you miss having a drinking partner?
Shit, I am my drinking partner. Intoxication? I'm polytoxic. Whatever drinking or drugs I do is never as big a deal to me as they have been to other people. It's not a philosophy with me. The idea of taking something in order to be Keith Richards is bizarre to me.

Were there drugs you tried and didn't like?
Loads. I was very selective. Speed — nah. Pure pharmaceutical cocaine — that's great, but it ain't there anymore. Heroin — the best is the best. But when it comes to Mexican shoe scrapings, ugh. Good weed is good weed.

What about acid?
I enjoyed it. Acid arrived just as we had worn ourselves out on the road, in 1966. It was kind of a vacation. I never went for the idea that this was some special club — the Acid Test and that bollocks.

I found it interesting that you were way out there but still functioning normally, doing things like driving; I'd stop off at the shops. Meanwhile, you were zooming off. Methedrine and bennies never did appeal to me. Downers — now and again: "I've got to get some sleep." But if you don't go to sleep, you have a great time [laughs].

How much did your drug use in the 1970s alienate Mick?
He wasn't exactly Mr. Clean and I was Mr. Dirty. But I withdrew a lot from the basic daytoday of the Stones. It usually only took one of us to deal with most things. But when I did come out of it and offered to shoulder the burden, I noticed that Mick was quite happy to keep the burden to himself. He got used to calling the shots.

I was naive — I should have thought about it. I have no doubt that here or there Mick used the fact that I was on the stuff, and everybody knew it: "You don't want to talk to Keith, he's out of it." Hey, it was my own fault. I did what I did, and you just don't walk back in again.

Describe the state of your friendship with Mick. Is friendship the right word?
Absolutely. It's a very deep one. The fact that we squabble is proof of it. It goes back to the fact that I'm an only child. He's one of the few people I know from my childhood. He is a brother. And you know what brothers are like, especially ones who work together. In a way, we need to provoke each other, to find out the gaps and see if we're onboard together.

Does it bother you that your musical life together isn't enough for him — that he wants to make solo records?
He'll never lie about in a hammock, just hanging out. Mick has to dictate to life. He wants to control it. To me, life is a wild animal. You hope to deal with it when it leaps at you. That is the most marked difference between us. He can't go to sleep without writing out what he's going to do when he wakes up. I just hope to wake up, and it's not a disaster.

My attitude was probably formed by what I went through as a junkie. You develop a fatalistic attitude toward life. He's a bunch of nervous energy. He has to deal with it in his own way, to tell life what's going to happen rather than life telling you.

Was he like that in 1965?
Not so much. He's very shy, in his own way. It's pretty funny to say that about one of the biggest extroverts in the world. Mick's biggest fear is having his privacy. Mick sometimes treats the world as if it's attacking him. It's his defense, and that has molded his character to a point where sometimes you feel like you can't get in yourself. Anybody in the band will tell you that. But it comes from being in that position for so long — being Mick Jagger.

What don't you like about his solo albums?
Wimpy songs, wimpy performance, bad recording. That's about enough. I've done solo things here and there, but the Stones are numero uno. The Stones are the reason I'm here. They are my whole working life. I never had a job. To me, it's very important that there is a very close unity presented to everyone else: "Shields up." Outside projects, I felt, were a detriment to the Stones. If what you did is fantastic, you're going to want to carry it on. If it's a bum, you've gotta run back to the Stones and say, "Protect me." That's not a good position for a fighting unit. "I've got deserters": I used to think like that.

But you can't keep everybody in that insular thing forever. I mean, Charlie takes his jazz band around the world. You've got to turn it into an asset. Whatever it was, we all went out there and tried it on. But we all come back to the Rolling Stones. There is an electromagnetic thing that goes on with it. It draws us back to the center.

What do you think of Mick's knighthood?
I have to revert to a Stones point of view. These are the guys who tried to put us in jail in the Sixties, and then you're taking a minor honor. Also, to get a phone call from Mick saying, "Tony Blair insists that I take it" — this is a way to present it to me?

It's antirespect to the Stones — that was my initial opinion. I thought it would have been the smarter move to say thanks, but no thanks. After being abused by Her Majesty's government for so many years, being hounded almost out of existence, I found it weird that he'd want to take a badge. But what the @#$%& does it matter? It doesn't make any difference in the way we work. Within the Stones, it's probably made him buckle down a bit more, because he knows he's being disapproved of [laughs].

In the opening lines of "The Worst," you sing, "I said from the first/I'm the worst." Are you a hard man to love?
Ask those who love me. In any new relationship, I tell people, "Do you know what you're dealing with? Don't tell me that I didn't say from the first, I'm the worst." It's my riot act. The last time I said it was to my old lady twentyodd years ago. I say, out front, take it on, or get out.

You and your wife, Patti, have two teenage daughters, Alexandra and Theodora. And as a dad, you have a unique perspective on the mischief kids get up to, because you've done most of it.
I've never had a problem with my kids, even though Marlon and Angela [two of his three children by former girlfriend Anita Pallenberg] grew up in rough times: cops busting in, me being nuts. [Another son, Tara, died in 1976; he was ten weeks old.] I feel akin to the old whaling captains: "We're taking the boat out, see you in three years." Dad disappearing for weeks and months — it's never affected my kids' sense of security. It's just what Dad does.

What about serious talks? About drugs?
That's something you see on TV ads. Alexandra and Theodora are my best friends. It's not fingerwagging. I just keep an eye on them. If they got a problem, they come and talk to me. They've grown up with friends whose idea of me — who knows what they've been told at school? But they know who I am. And they always come to my defense [smiles]. Which is the way I like it.
Describe your life at home in Connecticut: When you get up, what do you do?
I made a determined effort after the last tour to get up with the family. Which for me is a pretty impressive goal. But I did it — I'd get up at seven in the morning. After a few months, I was allowed to drive the kids to school. Then I was allowed to take the garbage out. Before that, I didn't even know where the recycling bin was.

I read a lot. I might have a little sail around Long Island Sound if the weather is all right. I do a lot of recording in my basement — writing songs, keeping up to speed. I have no fixed routine. I wander about the house, wait for the maids to clean the kitchen, then @#$%& it all up again and do some frying. Patti and I go out once a week, if there's something on in town — take the old lady out for dinner with a bunch of flowers, get the rewards [smiles].

Have you listened to the new guitar bands — the Hives, the Vines, the White Stripes? The Strokes are opening for you on this tour.
I haven't really. I'm looking forward to seeing them. I don't want to listen to the records until I see them.

But is it encouraging to see new guitar music being made in your image?
That's the whole point. What Muddy Waters did for us is what we should do for others. It's the old thing, what you want written on your tombstone as a musician: "He Passed It On." I can't wait to see these guys — they're like my babies, you know?

I'm not a champion of the guitar as an instrument. The guitar is just one of the most compact and sturdy. And the reason I still play it is that the more you do, the more you learn. I found a new chord the other day. I was like, "Shit, if I had known that years ago ..." That's what's beautiful about the guitar. You think you know it all, but it keeps opening up new doors. I look at life as six strings and twelve frets. If I can't figure out everything that's in there, what chance do I have of figuring out anything else?

A lot of people who were a big part of your life with the Stones are no longer here. Who do you miss the most?
Ian Stewart was a body blow. I was waiting for him in a hotel in London. He was going to see a doctor and then come and see me. Charlie called about three in the morning: "You still waiting for Stu? He ain't coming, Keith."

Stu was the father figure. He was the stitch that pulled us together. He had a very large heart, above and beyond the call of duty. When other people would get mean and jealous, he could rise above it. He taught me a lot about taking a couple of breaths before you go off the handle. Mind you, it didn't always work. But I got the message.

Gram Parsons — I figured we'd put things together for years, because there was so much promise there. I didn't think he was walking on the broken eggshells so much. I was in the john at a gig in Innsbruck, Austria. I'm taking a leak, and Bobby Keys walks in. He says, "I got a bad one for you. Parsons is dead." We were supposed to be staying in Innsbruck that night. I said @#$%& it. I rented a car, and Bobby and I drove to Munich and did the clubs — tried to forget about it for a day or two.

Have you contemplated your own death?
I let other people do that. They've been doing it for years. They're experts, apparently. Hey, I've been there — the white light at the end of the tunnel — three or four times. But when it doesn't happen, and you're back in — that's a shock.

The standard joke is that in spite of every drink and drug you've ever taken, you will outlive cockroaches and nuclear holocaust. You'll be the last man standing.
It's very funny, how that position has been reserved for me. It's only because they've been wishing me to death for so many years, and it didn't happen. So I get the reverse tip of the hat. All right, if you want to believe it — I will write all of your epitaphs.

But I don't flaunt it. I never tried to stay up longer than anybody else just to announce to the media that I'm the toughest. It's just the way I am. The only thing I can say is, you gotta know yourself.

After forty years, still doing two and a half hours onstage every night — that's the biggest last laugh of all.
Maybe that's the answer. If you want to live a long life, join the Rolling Stones.

This was an article from the October 17, 2002 issue of Rolling Stone.

Date: October 16, 2010 21:54

Keith Richards in 1988: The Rolling Stone Interview
By Anthony DeCurtis
Oct 06, 1988
A drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other, Keith Richards dances around the New York office of his personal manager, Jane Rose, as Talk Is Cheap — his first solo album after a quarter century with the Rolling Stones — blasts out of the stereo. Beyond enjoying the grooves, Keith is also attending to business; he's checking out slides, trying to choose cover art for the record. "Just put it in a brown paper bag," he says jokingly at one point to Steve Jordan, with whom he wrote and produced the album. "I don't give a shit about the goddamn cover."

The emphasis on content is characteristic — and it extends to Richards's collaborators. When Jordan, a hot New York sessionman who used to be the house drummer for Late Night with David Letterman, is complimented on the album, he simply says, "It's a real record. We weren't trying to do anything hip." Along with guitarist Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist Ivan Neville and bassist Charley Drayton, Jordan is a member of the core band that plays on Talk Is Cheap and will tour with Richards after its release. "In ten days," Richards says, "if you give me the right guys, I'll give you a band that sounds as if they've been together for two or three years. I'll make them sound like a band. Mainly because I need it, and that communicates itself."

Talk Is Cheap serves up a rich sampling of Richards's musical roots — from the Cajun flavor of "Locked Away" to the funk of "Big Enough," from the Memphis soul of "Make No Mistake" to the rockabilly of "I Could Have Stood You Up." And of course, "Take It So Hard," "How I Wish" and "Whip It Up" rock with a force reminiscent of his classic work with the Stones.

Another track, however, "You Don't Move Me," evokes the Stones not only in its slashing guitar sound but in its subject: Mick Jagger. The song vents the anger and bitterness Richards felt when Jagger decided to pursue his own solo career in 1986 rather than tour with the Stones after they released Dirty Work. Accusing Jagger of greed and selfishness, the song also chides the singer for the commercial failure of his two solo records,She's the Boss and Primitive Cool: "Now you want to throw the dice/You already crapped out twice."

Later in the week, Richards turns up for his interview at Rose's office sporting red-tinted shades, gray corduroy slacks, a white jacket and the same T-shirt he wore four days earlier: it bears the legend Obergruppenfueher ("major general of the troops"). After fixing himself a Rebel Yell and ginger ale and lighting a Marlboro, he drapes his jacket on the back of one of the chrome and leather chairs in the office's conference room and goes to work.

Like everyone in New York this August, Richards complains about the wilting heat, but he seems in an upbeat mood — after the interview he will race down to Madison Square Garden to catch INXS and Ziggy Marley. Now forty four, Richards describes himself as a family man. In addition to two teenage children from his stormy relationship with Anita Pallenberg, he has two little girls from his marriage to New York model Patti Hansen. He looks weathered but fit, the leathery skin on his arms hugging his well-developed biceps.

Pleased and relieved to have completed Talk Is Cheap, Richards nonetheless remembers the frustrations that led him to make the record after years of saying that he had no desire to compete with the Rolling Stones. When he speaks about Jagger — and what he sees as Jagger's betrayal of the Stones — his hurt pride is evident. As he speaks, affection blends with resentment, and a need for reconciliation battles with an equally strong desire to be proven right about the integrity of the Stones. Richards's manner at such moments recalls nothing more than one of those exhausting conversations with friends whose lovers have left.

"It's a struggle between love and hate," Richards sings on Talk Is Cheap. Amid such ravaging emotional ambivalence, the Stones are talking about regrouping next year for an album and a tour. "Mick's and my battles are fascinating," Richards says. "When you've known somebody that long, there's so much water under the bridge that it's almost impossible to talk about."

And then, for three hours, he talks.

After twenty-five years with the Stones, how does it feel to have completed your first solo record?
It sort of goes like this [sweeps his hand across his brow]: Ph-e-e-e-w. It's kind of strange, because it was never in the cards for me. It was not something I wanted to do. Also, in the back of my mind, doing a solo record meant a slight sense of failure. The only reason I would do a solo album was because I couldn't keep the Stones together.

As far back as 1971, you said that you didn't ever want to be in a situation where you had to decide whether to keep a song for yourself or give it to the Stones.
Yeah, there's all those things. To put yourself into a split situation, to have to decide — it's hard. Fortunately or unfortunately, since the Stones have taken this break or whatever — you know, weren't working — I didn't have to worry about that particular problem

You see, Dirty Work I built pretty much on the same idea as Some Girls, in that it was made with the absolute idea that it would go on the road. So when we finished the record and then ... the powers that be — let's put it like that [laughs] — decided suddenly they ain't gonna go on the road behind it, the team was left in the lurch. Because if you didn't follow it up with some roadwork, you'd only done fifty percent of the job.
Do you feel that Dirty Work didn't do well because the Stones didn't support it with a tour?
Well, there was no promotion behind it. As it came out, everyone sort of said, "Well, they've broken up," or "They're not gonna work." So you got a lot of negativity behind it.

It seemed like it was released into a storm of chaos.
It was — mainly, I think, to do with the fact that Stu [Ian Stewart, the pianist with the early Stones and the band's longtime road manager] died at that point. The glue fell out of the whole setup. There's not a lot of people who realize quite what a tower of strength he was and how important he was within the band.

The first rehearsal that was ever called for this band that turned out to be the Rolling Stones, at the top of this pub in Soho, in London, I arrived, and the only guy there is Stu. He was already at the piano, waiting for the rest of this collection of weirdos to arrive. On the surface of it, he was very different from us. He was working — he was a civil servant. The rest of us were, like, just a bunch of layabouts.

Stu was somebody that couldn't tell a lie. I think one of the first things he said to me was "Oh, so you're the Chuck Berry expert, are you?" At the time, Chuck Berry wasn't in Stu's bag of tricks. His thing was, like, Lionel Hampton and Leroy Carr and Big Joe Williams — you know, swing, boogie freaks. And so Chuck Berry to him was frivolous rock & roll, until I got him to listen to the records and he heard Johnnie Johnson [Berry's longtime pianist]. In fact, one of the last things Stu said to me before he died was "Never forget, Keith, Johnnie Johnson is alive and playing in St. Louis." And the funny thing is within a few months I'd found Johnnie, and he's even on this record.

So Stu's death was part of the problem. Then what happened? Was it that Mick didn't want to tour?
In all honesty, it was Mick decided that he could do ... I don't know whether "he could do better" is the best phrase, but he felt, actually, that the Rolling Stones were like a millstone around his neck. Which is ludicrous — and I told him so.

He said that to you?
Yeah. Yeah. He said, "I don't need this bunch of old farts." Little do you know, Sunny Jim.

I spoke to him about it the other week, because now he wants to put the Stones back together — because there's nowhere else to go. And I don't want to knock the cat. Mick's and my battles are not exactly as perceived through the press or other people. They're far more convoluted, because we've known each other for most of our lives — I mean, since we were four or five. So they involve a lot more subtleties and ins and outs than can possibly be explained. But I think that there is on Mick's part a little bit of a Peter Pan complex.

It's a hard job, being the frontman. In order to do it, you've got to think in a way that you're semidivine. But if it goes a little too far, that feeling, you think you don't need anybody, and Mick kind of lost touch with the fact of how important the Stones were for him. He thought that he could just hire another Rolling Stones, and that way he could control the situation more, rather than battling with me.

My point around Dirty Work was this was the time when the Stones could do something. They could mature and grow this music up and prove that you could take it further. That you don't have to go back and play Peter Pan and try and compete with Prince and Michael Jackson or Wham! and Duran Duran. But it's all a matter, I think, of self-perception. He perceived himself as still having to prove it on that level. To me, twenty-five years of integrity went down the drain with what he did.

How would you explain that?
Mick is more involved with what's happening at this moment — and fashion. I'm trying to grow the thing up, and I'm saying we don't need the lemon-yellow tights and the cherry picker and the spectacle to make a good Rolling Stones show. There's a more mature way of doing it. And Mick, particularly at that time, two or three years ago, couldn't see a way clear to do anything different. So therefore he had to go backwards and compare himself with who's hitting the Top Ten at that moment.

The last Stones show I saw was at the Fox Theatre, in Atlanta, in 1981, and it was just the band, without the gimmicks.
To me, the interesting thing about Mick is that he could work this table better than anybody in the world. And the bigger the stages got, to me it was a feeling that he had to use every inch of space on that stage. He would say that you've got to get to as much of the audience as you can when you're playing stadiums. But the bigger the stage, the more stagy it got. The fact is that Mick didn't appreciate that he had a band that he could rely upon, come hell or high water. I guess he took it for granted eventually and thought that he could hire that. And you can't. You can't hire that kind of thing.

At one point you seemed to feel that Walter Yetnikoff, the president of CBS Records, had encouraged Mick to go solo, that he believed that Mick was the Stones.
I think at the beginning, yes. But it's understandable that somebody just walking in on the Rolling Stones ... it's an obvious thought. Mick is going to be talking to them. He's the frontman. Since then, Walter has certainly changed his mind [laughs]. It's understandable that you would think that, oh, if you've got it together with Mick, then you've got the Stones, because the next person to talk to is myself, and I've been a junkie, unreliable — in business people's minds I'm the dodgy artistic freak. I'm not the one that's going to be up in your office talking business at ten in the morning. So it's an understandable attitude to take. But it certainly didn't help keeping the Stones together at the time.

Didn't Yetnikoff hook you back up with Sarah Dash, who sings with you on the album?
She's a friend of Walter's. She happened to be popping by to see him at the time, and I said, "Oh, Sarah, I haven't seen you in donkeys' years." I mean, when I first met Sarah, she was fifteen or sixteen. She'd just started working with Patti LaBelle and the Blue Bells. This was in '65. She had a chaperone with her, you know, nobody could get near her. They used to call her Inch, I think, Sarah. She's still a dinky little thing, but what a girl, what a voice.

So by going to see Walter, I found the chick I wanted to sing on the album. The only other girl singing on it is the now infamous Patti Scialfa.

Springsteen has managed to tarnish his reputation.
Yeah, it was kind of surprising. In fact, the last overdub that Patti did for this record, she walks in with this guy. "Hi, Patti, how're you doin'?" We're talking. The guy is standing in the doorway, and I turn around, and suddenly I realize it's Bruce [laughs]. Oh, oh, naughty, naughty, naughty.

Had you met him before?
I've met Bruce two or three times. We've had several good chats, usually at some release party or premiere, and we just end up in the corner talking. He's a sweet guy, a nice guy.

Mind you, I think four-hour shows really are way over the top. To me, a great rock & roll act does twenty minutes [laughs]. I remember the Paramount, where you got the Impressions, Jackie Wilson, Joe Tex, and everybody does just their absolute supreme best shot! A lot of the shows you get these days are very self-indulgent. I don't think anybody can be enthralling for four hours onstage playing rock & roll.

You've been recording on your own for years. Had you built up a big backlog of songs?
Not really. All of the songs on this album were written last year. There's also a whole backlog of songs with the Stones that I didn't touch. I wanted it to be completely separate. Of course, certain ways of doing things hung over. For the Stones I would write for what Mick could sing, what I thought was the best thing that Mick could handle.

On this album, the songs are not that much different in structure or in content, even. I managed to do some of the things that with the Stones I'd say, "Nah, can't do that. Too complicated." I realized this writing with Steve Jordan. That was the other great thing: that I found somebody else to work with. To me, teamwork is important. The enthusiasm from the other guys is incredibly important, and these guys gave it to me all the way. They would never let me indulge myself. For instance, with the Stones, if I'm writing something and they're hitting it in the studio and I'd break down because I'm not quite sure how the bridge would go or something, I'd stop playing, and everybody'd stop playing, go off for a drink and a phone call and an hour later come back and try it again. With this lot, if I stopped, they'd just carry on. They'd look at me: "Pick it up, pick it up, man!" "Why, you goddamn nigger! Nobody's kicked me up the ass like that." At the same time I enjoyed it, because they were right. I would just pick it up again and get back in there.

Did you find yourself getting uptight about not wanting a song to sound like a Stones song?
No, I didn't In fact, it was the other way. My idea was if I allowed myself to think, "I can't do it like that, because it would be just the way I'd do it with the Stones," that would be phony.

My main hang-up, first off, was "Who the hell am I gonna play with if it ain't Charlie Watts?" If I'm gonna work on my own after twenty-odd years of working with this great drummer, who's going to have, without looking at each other, the same feel, the same contact? The beauty of Steve and myself finding each other at that particular time was that it was a very natural changeover, since Steve and Charlie know each other and respect each other's work very much.

Where are Charlie, Bill Wyman and Ron Wood on all of this? Are you in touch with them?
Well, yeah. In fact, in the last month or so I've been in touch with them. Mick suddenly called up, and the rest of them: "Let's put the Stones back together." I'm thinking, "Just as I'm in the middle of an album. Now what are you trying to do, screw me up? Just now you want to talk about putting it back together?" But we talked about it. I went to London, and we had a meeting. I think you'll find a new album and a tour next year from the Stones.

Will you be touring with your band?
With this lot, yeah, sure. I need to get on the road, and the only way you're gonna get on the road is to make a record. Since '86, I've slowly been putting the team together. This basic band, you know, Drayton, Steve, Ivan Neville, Waddy.

I don't want to do a big deal, you know, big stadiums and all that. I want to play some good rooms — theaters. We're just starting to talk about it. Basically I just want to do some class joints, you know, some nice 3000, 4000 seaters.

It's startling to hear "Big Enough," which has such a James Brown feel, as the first track on the album. Was that the first tune you recorded?
It's not exactly the first thing, but it was fairly early on. It was just Steve and myself, just drums and guitar. It was incredibly long, almost a jam. But the groove on it was just so strong and, as you say, the James Brown feel of it was so evident that what happened was, during last winter, James played the Apollo. Steve and I went up there, and we saw Maceo [Parker, James Brown's saxman], and we looked at each other, and we went, "Dig it. Maceo." So we got in touch with Maceo to give it that horn thing.

The bass end was another problem, because the fact that we cut it with just guitar and drums, we had the drums tuned very low down. There was an awful lot of bass on the drums. And every time we tried to put a bass on it, it would just get in the way. So we thought about it, and once again, Steve, who's got a great ear [snaps his fingers]: "Ah, it's got to be Bootsy" — who used to play with James. So Bootsy [Collins] drove from Ohio — because he doesn't fly, Bootsy — for one evening and heard it, grinned and did it. So that's how James Brown the track was — it ended up with James's guys on there!

On the other end of the spectrum from "Big Enough," you have "I Could Have Stood You Up."
To me that was "a little stroll through the rock & roll alley." I actually started to cut these tracks a year ago, just about today, at about this time [laughs] — that's why I'm looking at my watch — up in Montreal. We got about seven tracks in ten days, so I felt already "This thing's going well, this band is cooking."

Who was up there with you?
Charley Drayton, Steve, Ivan, Waddy and myself. Since we'd worked with Johnnie Johnson on the Chuck Berry thing, I really wanted to work with him. My next thought was "I don't know if I've got anything in that vein for this album." So Steve and I worked on it a bit, and I came up with that one thing. We wanted to do some sessions with Johnnie, so we got it together, and Johnnie — who happens to love me, for some reason ...

Well, your analysis of Chuck Berry's music in 'Hail! Hail! Rock,'n'Roll,' where you point out that it was all based on Johnnie Johnson's piano chords, might have something to do with it.
I would have never thought about it, except I went through that process and saw it. The guy's sixty-eight, sixty-nine years old, and he probably plays more regularly than just about anybody on this planet. He has five or six club gigs a week in St. Louis. He's one of the hidden masters of American music, to me. Also, given the fact that Stu had said what he said ... [folds his hands in prayer].

"I Could Have Stood You Up" is also a reunion of Stones alumni: Mick Taylor, Bobby Keys, Chuck Leavell. Had you played with Mick since he left the Stones?
When he played the Lone Star last year, I popped up for a number or two. I hadn't seen him for quite a few years. It's sort of a mystery to me — and it's also a mystery to Mick Taylor — as to why he left the Stones [laughs]. I said, "Why did you leave like that?" And he said, "I ask myself that all the time. I don't know why I did that."

But being in the Stones is a weird thing. I guess for Mick, you've been in the Stones for five or six years, and you think you can expand. He wanted to play drums. He wanted to produce and write. Rightly or wrongly — because to me Mick Taylor is just a brilliant guitar player. That's what he is. And still is. But from the inside, you know, you think, "I've done this. I've got this now. Now I can go out on my own. I'm a bit bored with this."

And Mick Jagger made the same decision — and the same mistake. Whether it's a mistake or not, it didn't work out the way he thought it was going to work out. Maybe it's got something to do with the name Mick [laughs].
It seems that the Stones developed a very unsentimental attitude over the years about people who were sucked into their vortex and sometimes did great things but sometimes also damaged themselves.
It made them — and maybe even for the better — come face to face eventually with themselves. Maybe sometimes in the worst possible way. Maybe that ultimately is one of the most important things about the Stones — that, for some unknown reason, they strike at a person at a point and in a position that they don't even know exists.

There was always a sense about the Stones and about your own life, certainly, that this is nothing other than what it looks to you to be.
Well, it's certainly for real. The other thing about my life and the Stones' life is that there was nothing phony about it. If anybody was going to take knocks, we were going to take the knocks along with everybody else. It isn't that we were sitting up on some comfortable faraway paradise and putting out this stuff and saying, "Well, @#$%& yourselves up." We got beat up more than anybody.

I've always just tried to avoid doing anything that would make me cringe. Anything I do, I like to be able to live with. No matter how on the surface — you know, "What a bum, what a junkie" — at least it's real. And I can live with it. If I @#$%& up, the whole world @#$%& up with me! [Laughs.]

You once said that you never wanted anyone to feel that there was anything they could find out by going through your garbage can that they couldn't find out by just asking you.
There's always this thing in show business: you have an "image," and you play it to the hilt, but you're not really like that "in my private life," et cetera. In other words, it's an act. And maybe for them that's okay. But for myself, what I do, I'm too intense about it.

Obviously, there are lots of things ... I mean, I'm a family man. I have little two-year-old and three-year-old girls that beat me up. I'm not the guys I see on MTV, who obviously think they are me. There are so many people who think that's all there is to it. It's not that easy to be Keith Richards. But it's not so hard, either. The main thing is to know yourself.

I was kind of forced into the position of honesty because they went through my garbage can and it was all over the front pages. To the point where people think that I'm far more Errol Flynn or notorious than I actually am. But I know what people think: "We'll give them that Keith Richards look" With my friends, the "Keith Richards look" is, like, a great laugh. And it's got nothing to do with the moody bit — it's just the way I look if I don't smile. And this [points to his skull ring] is to remind me that we're all the same under the skin. The skull — it has nothing to do with bravado and surface bullshit.

To me, the main thing about living on this planet is to know who the hell you are and to be real about it. That's the reason I'm still alive. The chart I was Number One on longest was the Next One to Kick the Bucket. I headed that chart longer than I ever did Records! [Laughs.] But to me, I never had any real doubt, because whatever it was I did, no matter how stupid or flamboyant or irresponsible it may have seemed from the outside — and I can understand it appearing like that — to me it's always been very important to know what I'm made of, and what I'm capable of doing. And making sure that nobody else suffered in the process. And if they did. it would only be from a misconception of themselves, not of me.

Obviously a whole mythology has built up around you. You must walk into situations all the time where people expect you to be "Keith Richards." How does that affect you?
I try and disillusion them, because I don't have an "act" It's impossible for me. It's very embarrassing.

Charlie Watts, in fact, is a far more honest man than I am. Charlie Watts to me is the most honest man in the world — to himself, to every body. He never even wanted to be a pop star. It still makes him cringe. But because he liked the music — and loved playing with me and with Mick and knew that it was a great band — he's willing to go along with it. Chicks screaming at Charlie Watts — to him it's ludicrous. He wanted to be Max Roach or Philly Joe Jones — his idea of himself is that And to have to live with being some teenybop idol for Charlie is very difficult, because he's not like that at all.

They're such a weird collection of guys — the most unlikely collection of people to be a good rock & roll band. Hell, half of them hate the idea of being a rock & roll star in the first place. It's already embarrassing to them; they want to be serious artists. And when you're living and working with people like that, it's very difficult, if you're phony or if you go ... That's what happened to Brian [Jones]. He really got off on the trip of being a pop star. And it killed him. Suddenly, from being very serious about what he wanted to do, he was willing to take the cheap trip. And it's a very short trip.

Has Mick heard "You Don't Move Me"?
Yeah, he's heard it. I played the whole album to him — what? — last week, two weeks ago.

Here in New York?
Yeah. He talked all the way through it [laughs]. But I went to the john and took a pee, and as I was coming out, I saw him dancing in the front room. So then I went back to the john and slammed the door loud and walked out again: he's sitting back like this [sits straight in his chair and folds his hands in his lap]. I don't know what he really thinks about it, because it's all tied up with what happened with his solo stuff.

What he put out, to me, is exactly the reason, as we were talking about before, why we didn't go on the road behind Dirty Work. He wanted to compete on a different level. The sad thing, to me, about it was that I felt it was totally unnecessary in that he had no grasp of the idea of the integrity of the Stones.
What does it make you feel like since Mick didn't want to tour behind Dirty Work but now he's done a tour of Japan and he's going to do a tour of Australia?
Great. Go to Australia in their midwinter. Go on. I've got other things to do. Go there. Go there with your jerk-off band.

He knows how I feel about it. Whether he'll ever admit it to himself, I don't know. I mean, I'll be totally honest: I love Mick. Most of my efforts with Mick go to trying to open his eyes: "You don't need to do this. You have no problem. All you've got to do is just grow up with it." And that's what he should be doing.

I mean, ninety-nine percent of the male population of the Western world — and beyond — would give a limb to live the life of Riley, to live the life of Jagger. To be Mick Jagger. And he's not happy being Mick Jagger. He's not living a happy life. To me, that's unacceptable. I've got to make him happy! [Laughs.] To me, I've failed if I can't eventually get my mate to feel good about himself. Even though he's very autocratic and he can be a real @#$%&. But who can't be an @#$%& at times?

The siege mentality kind of worries me about Mick. Nobody can get in there, even me, who's known him longer than anybody. What bothers me sometimes about him is not being able to get through to him. He's got his own vision about himself, which is not actually who he is. So he has to play a game; he has to act. He's not about to give you anything. He's not about to give anything away. He'll be flip.

And I don't mind him reading this shit, because this is part of, as far as I'm concerned, my attempt to help him along. It's a very sad thing to me to have a friend that... especially when he's in such a privileged position and should be able to live one of the best lives ever. Everybody, as I say, would give limbs to be Mick Jagger, to be able to live like that. And not to be happy? What's so hard about being Mick Jagger? What's so tough? It's like Bob Dylan's phrase once: "What's so hard about being one of the Beatles?" Although, you could say that about Bob, too, you know. Now I'm really gonna get shit, man! [Laughs.] I mean, this exaggerated sense of who you are and what you should do and worrying about it so much. Why don't you just get on with it and stop trying to figure all the angles? That to me is a waste of time.

Now you're in the situation where your own solo record is coming out. Do you feel any sense of competition with Mick?
Obviously the situation is there for it to be perceived that way. No, I don't feel any sense of competition with Mick. Whether Mick feels a sense of competition with me — that's another question. Why we didn't go on the road behind Dirty Work ... that might be an answer to that.

You mean he felt that it was more your record or...
Or who runs the deal. I think to Mick that's more important than it is to me. You see, I tip my hat to Mick a lot. I admire the guy enormously. In the Seventies, when I was on dope and I would do nothing but put the songs together and turn up and not deal with any of the business of the Stones, Mick took all of that work and weight on his shoulders and did it all and covered my ass. And I've always admired him very much for that. I mean, he did exactly what a friend should do.

When I cleaned up and Emotional Rescue time came around — "Hey, I'm back, I'm clean, I'm ready; I'm back to help and take some of the weight off your shoulders" — immediately I got a sense of resentment Whereas I felt that he would be happy to unburden himself of some of that shit, he felt that I was horning in and trying to take control. And that's when I first sensed the feeling of discontent, shall we say. It wasn't intended like that from my point of view, but that's when I first got a feeling that he got so used to running the show that there was no way he was going to give it up. That, to him, it was a power struggle.

To turn away from the Stones for a moment, what do you make of the state of rock today? Some have said this is the worst period in the history of rock & roll.
My cheap answer to that would be "Yeah, wait until my record comes out!" [Laughs.]

I wanted to run the Top Ten singles by you and get your impression of them.
All right, run 'em down.

Number One is "Roll with It," by Steve Winwood.
Steve is great, but the record, eh. He's not pushing anything further. I mean, he's a great musician, but he doesn't seem to me to have a driving desire to really do anything. If he bothers to work, it's fantastic. I think he's one of the best English musicians that we have.

But at the same time, my problem with Stevie — he's gonna @#$%&' hate me forever for saying this — is that he's kind of faceless. What's Number Two, George Michael?

Number Two is "Hands to Heaven," by Breathe.
Never heard it. Don't know nothing about it.

Number Three is "Make Me Lose Control," by Eric Carmen. He had a hit recently from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.
A nice P.R. job.

Number Four is "Sign Your Name," by Terence Trent D' Arby.
He's more interested in Terence Trent D'Arby than he is in anything else, as far as I'm concerned. Hey, a nice-looking boy — but hung up on himself. A great voice, but that's not enough.

"1-2-3", by Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine.
A Holiday Inn band, a club band that made it. Very nice. Love the girl. Like Dirty Dancing: just to watch, yeah. But it palled really quickly.

"I Don't Wanna Go On with You Like That," by Elton John.
Reg, give me a Rubens, and I'll say something nice. Reg Dwight. Lovely bloke, but posing.

"I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love," by Chicago.
Chicago? I haven't heard it. Chicago to me was always...I mean, you'll get a lot of put-downs this way, guy! [Laughs.] You've got to forgive me. I haven't heard that particular record, but I would think "contrived."

"Monkey," by George Michael.
Shave and go home. He's a wimp in disguise.

"Hold On to the Nights," by Richard Marx.
I don't know the particular record, but I have a feeling — why do I say this? — maybe there's something interesting in there?

And Number Ten is "Just Got Paid," by Johnny Kemp.
I wish I just got paid! Who the hell Johnny Kemp is I don't know.

I also wanted to ask you about the current superstars.
U2 I like. I like Bono very much. When I worked with him, I'd never heard him. I found the guy very interesting and very open. Then, afterwards, I started listening to them. It's human music; it's not pushbutton music.

To me the disgusting thing about popular music at the moment ... and especially I'm disappointed with you black guys, just pushing buttons and shit. They are, to me, really @#$%& up. With the drum machines and the engineers that have never ... you set up a drum kit and say you're gonna use a live drummer and they go, "What? How do we record a thing like that?" Music's got to do with people, not pushing buttons. To me, it's kind of weird that George Michael is Number One on the black charts. Because, 'ey, 'ey, what happened to Little Milton? What happened to the soul?
You mentioned Bruce Springsteen earlier. What about his music?
Bruce? That's a tough one, because I like the guy. But the music... I don't know. I'm the toughest taskmaster of all time. I'm going to annoy a lot of people. Bruce? To me, it's pretentious.

What's pretentious about it?
I love his attitude. I love what he wants to do. I just think he's gone about it the wrong way. These are just my opinions, and okay, I'll annoy the lot of you. Bruce? Too contrived for me. Too overblown.

I know you haven't liked Prince in the past. Has your opinion of him changed?
Prince, I admire his energy, but he's riding on a wave. To me, Prince is like the Monkees. I don't see anything of any depth in there. I think he's very clever at manipulating the music business and the entertainment business. I think he's more into that than making music. I don't see much substance in anything he does. Too much appealing to ... a Pee-wee Herman trip. And I like Pee-wee Herman better than Prince. He's appealing to the same audience. To me, it's kid stuff.

What do you think about Guns n' Roses?
Not much. I admire the fact that they've made it despite certain resistance from the radio biz. I admire their guts. But too much posing. Their look — it's like there's one out of this band, one looks like Jimmy, one looks like Ronnie. Too much copycat, too much posing for me. I haven't listened to a whole album to be able to talk about the music.

I'm a very hard taskmaster. I know that everybody's gonna say, "Oh, he's putting everybody down."

Well, tell me what you like.
I don't like much. And I don't want any of these guys to feel like "Oh, he's an old fart, blah-blah-blah. But we're up there, blah-blah-blah." I'm not interested in that. My main thing is "What are you trying to do, just be famous? Or have you got something to say?" And if you do, are you forgoing it in order just to be famous?

I've always liked AC/DC, all right? I like U2; I really do. I think Bono, especially, has something special. INXS I'm quite interested in. I like Tracy Chapman. Ziggy Marley I find very interesting because he's not just "the son of," He's avoided being, I hate to say this, Julian. He's taken from his father and built on it, but he's not just "the son of Bob Marley." He's got his own things to say, and he's serious about it.

I wanted to ask you about Chuck Berry. If you take forty-five Chuck Berry songs, fifteen of them will be among the greatest rock songs ever written and thirty will be the most clichéd formulas.
And two or three of them just trite. To me, the saddest thing about Chuck Berry is that his biggest-selling record is "My Ding-a-ling." But that's what he deserves, because of his attitude toward what he does. He hasn't sussed out his own worth. He has no idea of his impact on popular music. Chuck just wants the bread. And there's nothing wrong with that, because it's the only way a guy from his era, from where he came from, could get out.

And also getting ripped off in the past, that's what he learns. But he's carried it around for thirty years.
He's a loner. That's why I could work with Chuck Berry, because he's very much like Mick. It's a siege mentality: "Nobody's going to get into me." And "If I give a thing away, I'm a weakling." To me, the truth is the more you give, the stronger you are. The more of a man you are. Who are you scared of? What's so scary that you've got to lock yourself up?

In that scene in the movie where you turn around and give him this look, it looks like you're going to have a fight or something.
A shoot-out? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. That's pretty true. Yeah, just about. Most of the band, the guys behind me are going, "Keith in this situation is gonna pull out the blade and just slit the @#$%&'s throat." I'm biting bullets, because I'm trying to show the band that, in order to get this gig together, I am gonna take some shit that I wouldn't take from anybody. I'm not gonna let Chuck get to me that much. Whereas anybody else, it would be toilet time.

You say the Stones may be getting back together. Given all that's happened, couldn't that be seen as just a case of knowing that this is an opportunity to make forty million dollars and...
A hundred [laughs].

Well, what do you say to that?
What can I say about it? However much you make, the same percentage goes toward keeping it together. The overhead's tremendous. The amount of money — I find it as mind boggling as anybody out there on the street. You say, "Yeah, he's a @#$%& multimillionaire, and blah-blah-blah." The one thing you find out when you make a lot of money — and it always sounds trite when you say it, but it isn't — is that that's not the important thing. It doesn't add one iota to your happiness in life. It just means you have different problems to deal with. And it brings its own problems. Like "Who are you going to put on retainer?"

It's much better to be rich than poor, but not for the reasons that you would automatically think. I grew up with no bread at all. In fact, I was talking to Steve Jordan and Charley Drayton — black cats, you know, fairly well-off middle-class cats. I grew up poorer than they did. We just about made the rent. The luxuries were very, very few. I know what it's like down there. I remember it. There wasn't a lot of chances for someone, the way I grew up. My dad worked his butt off in order to just keep the rent paid and food for the family. To me, people are more important than anything else. Rock & roll, anything else, people are more important.

I know you and your father were reconciled a few years ago. Are you still on good terms?
Oh yeah. Dominoes every Friday night. In fact, I'm late for the game right now!

Does he live in New York?
He lives about forty-five minutes out of town. Oh yeah, now that we're together, we're very tight.

You described yourself earlier as a "family man." What about your marriage and your kids? Obviously your wife, Patti Hansen, has her own business to do, and you have what you do.
Patti's a mother now. She doesn't do much. She does one job, two jobs a year. I mean, this is my second time around with families. I have a son — Marlon's nineteen. Angela's sixteen, and she's just left school.

I have this new family. I live in a houseload of women, which sometimes can drive me totally round the bend, which is why I need to work and get on the road. I love 'em all, but it's weird to be living with a load of chicks — it doesn't matter what age they are. For a guy, the only guy in the house, you gotta call up another cat and say, "Hey, come over, or I'll just drop over there!"

And my old lady knows this, bless her heart. I mean, that's why I married her, because I'll only get married once. But Patti and I, we have a good thing going. And it's just kept going. I'm a lucky guy.

With you and Patti, is it the sort of arrangement where somebody is taking care of the kids all the time?
No, I hate that. I'd never have that. It's only Patti and me and the kids. There's other people who clean up the house, but it's not like there's a nanny and she brings the kids down once a day to play with for tea-time and then @#$%& off. No way. You live all together.

I mean, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, and there's both my kids in the bed. They've managed to find their way, and we're all in the same bed together [laughs]. You get more out of it like that, and so do the kids. Family is a special thing. It's almost ... you can't really talk about it, except to say that if you get a chance at it, try it out, because it's one of the most special things that you'll ever get on the face of this earth. It gives you that final missing link of what life's about. While they're looking upon you as the most wonderful person in the world because you're "Daddy," they do more for you than you do for them.

How is your health?
You tell me.

You look good. You sound great.
I've lived my life in my own way, and I'm here today because I have taken the trouble to find out who I am.

The problem, however, is people who think they can live like Keith Richards.
That's what I mean. The biggest mistake in the world is to think that you have to emulate somebody else. That is fatal. It's got nothing to do with me. If people want to be like Keith Richards, then they better have the same physical makeup. I come from a very sturdy stock — otherwise I wouldn't be here.

At this point, to what degree is your identity tied into being a Rolling Stone?
Well, I've always been one, from the start of...if you want to call it my professional career. And I never wanted to be anything else. For the last couple of years I've had to deal with not being one. At first it almost broke my heart.

What I've learned from not being a Rolling Stone for two years probably will help me be, if the Stones come back together, which they will, will help me be ... what can I say — "a better Rolling Stone"? [Laughs.] Or make the Rolling Stones better.

I have a little more confidence in myself, by myself. I found that I can, if I have to, live without the Rolling Stones. And that my only job isn't desperately trying to keep a band together that maybe needed a break.

The last question I want to ask you is about legacy. All the bluesmen you admire — there's a legacy of theirs that you've carried on. Do you have a vision of how you'd like yourself, the Stones, your music, to move forward?
Well, then we get back to the break around Dirty Work. My vision of the Rolling Stones was that this was the perfect point and opportunity, at our state and our age, to carry on and mature and prove it. I played with Muddy Waters six months before he died, and the cat was just as vital as he was in his youth. And he did it until the day he died. To me, that is the important thing. I mean, what am I gonna do now, go for job retraining and learn to be a welder? I'll do this until I drop. I'm committed to it and that's it.

I want to try and make this thing grow up. Elvis couldn't do it. A lot of them didn't do it. To me, it's important to prove that this isn't just teenage kids' shit and you should feel embarrassed when you're over forty and still doing it. That's not necessary. This is a job. It's a man's job, and it's a lifelong job. And if there's a sucker to ever prove it, I hope to be the sucker.

This was an article from the October 6, 1988 issue of Rolling Stone.

Date: October 16, 2010 22:00

[Keith Richards in 1981: The Rolling Stone InterviewAs Richards enters middle age — and the Stones release ‘Tattoo You’ — the guitarist talks about love, fallen rock stars and whether he thinks the band will make it another 20 years/b]

By Kurt Loder
Nov 12, 198
The following is an article from the November 12, 1981 issue of Rolling Stone.

"I've just been closeted with Napoleon," Keith Richards said, tilting his wine glass in mock salute. "Mick's been sick. Got the flu, I think." It was exactly one week before the start of the Rolling Stones' first U.S. tour in three years, but Richards seemed unfazed by the loss of a much-needed all-night rehearsal. Looking very teenage-wasteland in a black bomber jacket, black T-shirt and black jeans, with blue-suede boots scrunched down around his ankles and a dark green scarf knotted at his waist, he nevertheless appeared healthy and in high spirits.

We were standing in the big country kitchen at Long View Farm, a remote but luxurious recording compound in rural Massachusetts where the Stones had been whipping their act into shape for the past month. It was nine p.m., and the kitchen buffet was groaning with roasted meats, steaming lobsters and crocks full of fresh, buttered vegetables. Over in the dining alcove, Charlie Watts was panning his portable video camera across a large corner table where Bill Wyman and the two auxiliary keyboardists, Ian Stewart and Ian McLagan, sat lingering at their plates. I noticed that the famous heads are going gray now, the faces beginning to sag like trail-weathered saddlebags. "Look at your face, baby," Mick Jagger sings on the Stones' new album. "Look at you and look at me." For a moment, I caught myself looking into that mirror, too.
The upcoming Stones tour would be the most testing of their nineteen-year career. A law unto themselves in the past, they were now old beyond argument, and so found themselves in the position of having to go out once more and prove, in public, that they could still do it. That they still had the creative goods was not in question: 'Tattoo You,' their new LP, showed all of the old power still surging, and the lyrics were informed by a rich new emotional complexity. It was the act that needed spiffing up.

Keith Richards was determined that all would be okay. At thirty-seven, ravaged by all the wild years of drug busts and screaming court headlines, he had begun to perceive an emerging order in his life. His longtime relationship with Anita Pallenberg, the mother of his two children, Marlon and Dandelion, had fallen apart in an ugly, public way, but his ongoing romance with Patti Hansen, a young model, offered hope of renewal. And even in middle age, he found, rock & roll still made a kind of perfect, powerful sense. So, once again, he gathered the Stones around him.

Out in the barn, a gleaming polished-pine stage had been constructed high up across the 100-foot width of the loft. A dozen or so feet below was a small living area that contained a fireplace, an expensive stereo system and a side-board filled with good wines and spirits. Keith strolled in and slipped a cassette into the stereo. He announced it as "the best album of the year." It was the Neville Brothers' 'Fiyo on the Bayou,'an exhilarating feast of rolling, New Orleans-style R&B. Keith poured himself a tumbler of Jack Daniel's, I grabbed a bottle of wine, and we settled at a table to soak, in Aaron Neville's breathtaking rendition of the ancient doo-wop classic "The Ten Commandments of Love." Still suckers after all these years. Can the Stones cut it in 1981? All you had to do, said Keith, was start 'em up.

What's it like rounding up the Rolling Stones after three years and trying to play together again?
Um, surprisingly easy. Getting them over the idea of workin' on the road, that's the hard bit. You know, they're going, "Ohhh, I don't wanna go on the road." And I'm tryin' to hustle them, because I know that it's the only way to keep 'em together. They always feel good about it once they do it; maybe I kind of crystallize that feeling or focus it or whatever, because everybody feels the same way as me, but not at the same time. But if the band wants to stay together, then we do have to go on the road and we do have to work. And once we get up there and start rehearsing, it's great. And it only gets better and better, you know? The problem is — this has been one of my favorite gripes for years — that because of the way we work, doing a blockbuster tour every three years, we find ourselves on this cycle of working our way up to a certain point where we can say, now we're breaking, now we're taking off into somewhere else. And then, because the tour stops — boom — we're never able to get past that point, to push it when it's still getting better. And three years later, we have to start again from scratch', going over the same ground to find out what we already know. That's the one thing that bugs me. I've always wanted to find out what would happen if we just kept going.

Judging by Tattoo You, it seems like the band could keep going, creatively at least, for another twenty years. Hope so, anyway.
So do I, because nobody else has done it, you know? It's kind of interesting to find out how rock & roll can grow up. I mean, there are other examples, obviously, but on the sort of scale the Rolling Stones are on, and have been on for so long, it still seems that if we do our best, they respond to it immediately — the audience, the kids, whatever you want to call it. Some of them are not so young anymore. Nor are we.

The punks were fond of pointing that out during their moment in the spotlight.
That's like punks. They always come and go.

Did you find anything worthwhile in punk rock?
Yeah, there was a certain spirit there. But I don't think there was anything new musically, or even from the PR point of view, image-wise. There was too much image, and none of the bands were given enough chance to put their music together, if they had any. It seemed to be the least important thing. It was more important if you puked over somebody, you know? But that's a legacy from us also. After all, we're still the only rock & roll band arrested for peeing on a wall.

Apparently, the punks weren't impressed. They really seemed to hate bands like the Stones.
That's what we used to say about everything that went before us. But you need a bit more than just putting down people to keep things together. There's always somebody better at puttin' you down. So don't put me down, just do what I did, you know? Do me something better. Turn me on.

When and where did you write the material on Tattoo You?
A lot of it was done in Paris. One of the tracks, "Worried about You," was done for Black and Blue. The rest were done in Paris between 1977 and last year. I mean, we cut over forty tracks for Emotional Rescue, but at that time it was a matter of picking out the tracks that were the nearest to completion, because we had a deadline that didn't allow us much time. On this album, we took longer. We started to think about this one soon after the last one came out, and we chose the songs a lot more carefully.

Will we be seeing more songs from those sessions in the future?
Oh, yeah, there's still loads. I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch. But that's an advantage you don't think about, really, with a band that goes on for a long time. One way or another, you end up with a backlog of really good stuff that, for one reason or another, you didn't get the chance to finish or put out because it was the wrong tempo or too long — purely technical reasons, you know? Sometimes we write our songs in installments — just get the melody and the music, and we'll cut the tracks and write the words later. That way, the actual tracks have matured, just like wine — you just leave it in the cellar for a bit, and it comes out a little better a few years later. It's stupid to leave all that great stuff just for want of finishin' it off and gettin' it together.
Think of all the potential hits that might be lying around.
Yeah, and we probably don't even recognize half of them. I mean, you just don't know after a while. I'm the guy who said "Satisfaction" wasn't a single. That's what I know.

I gather you don't take the music business very seriously.
There's nothing to be taken seriously. No way. If you look at the music business over a long period of time, it's always put out mostly shit.

Is that why people aren't buying as much music as they used to? Is it a combination of shitty music and a bad economy?
Music is a luxury, as far as people are concerned. I'm not sayin' I believe that, but to people who haven't got work, and haven't got money, music will seem a luxury. In actual fact, music is a necessity, because it's the one thing that will maybe bring you up and give you just that little bit extra to keep on going, or.... Who knows what music does?

Apparently, you and Mick are still writing about whatever's happening to you at the moment. "Hang Fire," for instance, is explicitly about England, right?
Yeah: "... where I come from, nobody ever works, nothing ever gets done." They're going through their little traumas over there. It serves them right for kickin' us out.

What's happening to England?
It's coming to terms with a whole lot of problems that have been brewing for years, and the only thing it needed for these problems to come to a head was for the money to get tight. Everybody tolerates everything while they're doin' all right, Jack; but when they're not, it's "What the @#$%& ...?" Now they gotta deal with that.

How do you feel about the situation there politically? Are you at all political?
No. I watch it, you know. It's the height of cynicism for me to watch that whole power play go down. Just to see such hams get away with such a bad act over and over again, you know. I mean, it's an ongoing soap opera of the worst kind, but people still watch it.

Do you care? Do you think there may be some sort of ideal remedy?
No, there's no ideal thing. People are people, and they're pressured into one corner or another. What is politics? Politics goes down in everything. It's always ugly. Politics is an ugly word these days, and the only people who make politics an ugly word are politicians, because they're ugly people. Not necessarily ugly to start with — I'm givin' them the benefit of the doubt — but even if they aren't, they will be after a couple of years in Washington or Moscow or London, in that circle they move in. I always look upon it as, "Yeah, these are the guys who couldn't play Biloxi."

Do you get back to England very often?
Fairly regularly. This year I haven't, but for the past couple of years I've gone back around August for two months or so. After about a week in London, I tend to drift out to the country, where things never change. I go to a little village where there are only about three people who have ever been to London, you know — and it's only seventy miles away. "Oh, London? No, never been there. Too many people." It's kind of timeless there. It's a real great anchor for me. It still sticks in my throat a little that I can't, you know... what do you mean I make too much money to live here? You mean I can't afford to live in England? It's just kind of vindictive. I mean, I can't consider us part of the brain drain or anything like that, but they certainly flushed us down their john, you know? "In the bathroom of your heart, I've been flushed, dear...."

"Neighbours" seems to be another slice of life — yours, I gather. Weren't you and Patti evicted from your Manhattan apartment earlier this year for playing music too loud?
Oh, a couple of them. Yeah, Patti and I are homeless at the moment. Mick wrote the lyrics to that — and he never has trouble with neighbors.

Just a quiet guy, right?
No, he's not. He's just smart. He got himself into a good old building with very thick walls and nobody particular around. I have a knack of finding a whole building of very cool people, you know, but there'll be one uncool couple — they're always a couple. And my apartment will always be either just above them or next door to them or just below. And they're the kind of people who'll knock you up at six in the morning, while you've just sort of got a little bit of music going. You're trying to be cool, 'cause you're aware of it, you know? By now, I'm aware that I can't blast the sounds. So I'm trying to be cool about it. And these people come up to our door saying, "We can't even hear Bugs Bunny on our TV, your music's so loud! Turn the kettledrums down!" So, I mean, I'm plagued by that kind of thing. I swear they're the same couple everywhere I go. They just follow me around: "Let's bug him; he's an @#$%&, he deserves it."

"Neighbours" is the first song I think Mick's ever really written for me. It's one I wish I'd written, that.

You and Mick appear to have one of the great friendships of our era. Is it really as solid as it seems?
Yeah. It's a true friendship when you can bash somebody over the head and not be told, "You're not my friend anymore." That's a true friendship. You put up with each other's bitching. People will think we're having these huge arguments and say, "Oh, will they split up?" But it's our way of working, you know? He's my wife. And he'll say the same thing about me: "Yeah, he's my wife."

I think the popular perception is that Mick is probably the better businessman of the two. Have you handled your money well?
I make it and I spend it, but it's set up in a way. Mick is pretty good at business. He's not as good as people think. He's probably not as good as he thinks. And he's probably not as bad as I think. Mick wants to know about every angle of everything, you know? Which is admirable — I certainly don't have the time or the inclination to find out those things. But we pool our information.

Do you ever feel you've become too rich to relate to your audience?
I just feel there's an audience out there,and as long as they want to hear it, I guess we'll go on making it.How do rich people have the blues?
I don't know. I've never met a rich person yet who's felt rich. Because from my own experience, the bigger things get and the more money you make, the more it takes to run the whole show. Especially tax attorneys. And therefore, the more you have to go out and make more money to pay them to give you... it's a diminishing return, you know? I've never felt rich. I've never really thought about it. All I'm worried about is having enough to keep the show on the road, you know. As long as that's there, then it's all right. The rest of it — what am I gonna do with it anyway? I spend half my life in the studio, and when I'm not there, I'm hustling to get on the road again. So, I mean, I can spend it, but I don't know where it goes.

Do the Rolling Stones ever socialize with each other anymore?
Yeah, we're always in touch. Charlie bounces into New York or wherever once every couple of months. As far as I'm concerned, I'd just say that I'm continually thankful — and more so as we go along — that we have Charlie Watts sittin' there, you know? He's the guy who doesn't believe it, because he's like that. I mean, he doesn't think that his contribution is as —

Really?
Yeah. There's nothing forced about Charlie, least of all his modesty. It's totally real. He cannot understand what people see in his drumming.

That's amazing.
I think so.

What about Ron Wood? He's been part of the act for about six years now, but I think some people still tend to dismiss him as a kind of Keith Richards clone.
I was the one who was most apprehensive about taking Ronnie into this. He's a very good friend of mine, and I've worked on his solo albums. But he doesn't play like me. To me, Ronnie's keeping together that idea of the Stones sound that Brian and I had. That's how I feel about Ronnie. He has an instinctive feel for what Brian and I originally worked out as far as guitars and the music go. Siamese twins — they both play. Look at it like this: there's one guy, he's just got four arms. That's the way I like to feel about it. Because when it comes out, it doesn't matter how many people are playing and who's doing what. When that sound comes out, does it hit you between the eyes and does it grab you?

Brian's been dead for twelve years now. Do you still think about him?
Yeah, I think about him every time we play "Time Is on My Side," or when I'm playing his guitar licks on "Mona." Brian, in many ways, was a right @#$%&. He was a bastard. Mean, generous, anything. You want to say one thing, give it the opposite, too. But more so than most people, you know. Up to a point, you could put up with it. When you were put under the pressures of the road, either you took it seriously or you took it as a joke. Which meant that eventually — it was a very slow process, and it shifted and changed, and it is so impossible to describe — but in the last year or so, when Brian was almost totally incapacitated all of the time, he became a joke to the band. It was the only way we could deal with it without gettin' mad at him. So then it became that very cruel, piss-taking thing behind his back all the time. It all came to a head when ... he was with Anita at the time, and he started beating her up and kickin' her around. And I said, "Come on, darlin', you don't need this. Let's go. I'll just take you away." I didn't give a shit. I wasn't involved in it at the time. Just, "Let's go. I'll take you out of this, at least, then you can do what you want." So we split. It was very romantic — Marrakesh, tramping through the desert and all that crap. I mean, Brian was so ludicrous in some ways and such a nice guy in some ways. It was like they used to say about Stan Getz: "He's a nice buncha guys." You just never knew which one you were gonna meet.

The Brian-Anita-Keith triangle is a centerpiece of Up and Down with the Rolling Stones, by Tony Sanchez, which came out in 1979. Sanchez described himself as, among other things, your drug procurer, and his description of your lifestyle in those years — late Sixties, early Seventies — is one of almost total dissipation and addiction. Is any or all of this true?
Spanish Tony's book? Let's put it like this: I couldn't plow through it all because my eyes were watering from laughter. But the basic laying out of the story — "He did this, he did that" — is true. Tony didn't really write it. He had some hack from Fleet Street write it; obviously, Tony can hardly write his own name, you know? He was a great guy. I always considered him a friend of mine. I mean, not anymore. But I understand his position: he got into dope, his girlfriend ODed, he went on the skids and...it's all this shit, you know? As far as that book's concerned, as far as, like, a particular episode, just the bare facts — yeah, they all happened. But by the time you got to the end, it was like Grimm's Fairy Tales — with emphasis on the grim. It's really all old stuff. You know, there are certain showbiz cliches that always seem to hold true. One is that there's no such thing as bad publicity, and the other is that the show must go on, right?

Have you seen Sanchez since the book came out?
Yeah, a couple of years ago.

Did you punch his lights out, or what?
No. I showed him a new shooter I'd gotten. I haven't seen him since.

What's become of Anita? Is she all right?
Yeah, she's fine, man. She's fine. I don't consider myself separated from Anita or anything. She's still the mother of my kids. Anita is a great, great woman. She's a fantastic person. I love her. I can't live with her, you know? I don't know if I really see that much less of Anita now than I ever have. She's in New York.

Doesn't it drive you nuts to live your personal life out in public?
Usually it's not from within — not from Anita or Patti or myself. It's other people saying, "Oh, we should play this down." Which I'm not interested in doin', because the only way I've ever been able to survive any of this crap is by saying: "Anything you put on your front page, I can top it." Because I'll give you the real lowdown, which is far more interesting. The last thing I want is to seem that I'm hiding anything, or playing a role. Sure, you don't want to call up the Daily News and say, "Well, last night I screwed..." but at the same time, I don't want anybody to think it's worth snooping around in my backyard thinking they're gonna pick up anything that they wouldn't learn by asking me.

As far as my relationships go, with Anita or anybody — I don't understand the meaning of separation. It's a legal phrase, that. And since I've never done anything legally, or never considered whether it's legal or not...I mean, I do what I do. The only areas of illegality that I've been involved in are ones that are questionable. Like, the question of victimless crimes. You can say that being a junkie is not really being a criminal, because it's just a law. But then again, junkies are the ones who buy the stuff from the dealers, the dealers make the money off the junkies, and dealers are the ones who go and corrupt the other kids, da, da, da. So where does the responsibility begin and end? I don't know. I don't really care, because it's a fact of life. I mean, all those questions are talked about by people who know nothing about it, as you well know. They're the ones who decide to put every patient they get on Methadone — to force them into the belief that if you've taken dope at all, you'd better get on Methadone right away, because you're always gonna need it. But they don't mention that for every patient those clinics get, they get bread from the feds.

You've tried Methadone?
Only when I couldn't get nothin' else. What a dopey drug, you know — dopey in the sense of nondope. What a dopey nondope.

Did heroin affect your music, for better or worse?
Thinking about it, I would probably say yeah, I'd probably have been better, played better, off of it I mean, sometimes people think they play better on dope, but it's...in actual fact, when I was onstage playing, or recording, and I was doped up, you know, and I listen to it now — I mean, sometim cves I still have to play what I played then. "Right, I've gotta play this goddamn junkie music? Me? Now? I've been through it." And I still gotta play my junk licks. But I can't imagine what else I would have played, no matter whether I was drunk, on dope or on Preparation H — they sniff it, you know.

The thing about smack is that you don't have any say in it. It's not your decision anymore. You need the dope, that's the only thing. "Why? I like it." It takes the decision off your shoulders. You'll go through all those incredible hassles to get it, and think nothing of it. Because that is the number-one priority: first the dope, then you can get home and do anything else that needs doing, like living. If you can.

Did you realize that you were addicted?
Oh, totally, yeah. I accepted that. It took me about two years to get addicted. The first two years, I played around with it. It's the greatest seduction in the world. The usual thing, snort it up. Then: "What do you mean I'm hooked? I've taken it for two days and I feel all right. I haven't had any for...all day." And then you think that's cool. And it draws you in, you know.

How do you get off junk?
You just have to want to reach that point. I mean, I kicked it loads of times. The problem is not how to get off of it, it's how to stay off of it. Yep, that's the one.

Do you still feel drawn toward it?
I always, um ... never say never. But no, no.

Obviously, some of the Stones' greatest music was made on dope.
Yeah, Exile on Main St. was heavily into it. So was Sticky Fingers....

Was it difficult for you to record those albums?
No, I mean, especially with the Stones, just because they've been at this sort of point for so long, where they're considered, you know, "the greatest rock & roll band in the world...." [Laughs] God, my God — you gotta be joking. Maybe one or two nights, yeah, you could stick them with that. My opinion is that on any given night, it's a different band that's the greatest rock & roll band in the world, you know? Because consistency is fatal for a rock & roll band. It's gotta go up and down. Otherwise, you wouldn't know the difference. It would be just a bland, straight line, like lookin' at a heart machine. And when that straight line happens, baby, you're dead, you know?

Rock has an awfully high death rate, it seems. Among your contemporaries, John Lennon, Keith Moon, John Bonham — when you see them go, does it worry you?
There are risks in doing anything. In this business, people tend to think it'll never happen to them. But what a way to make a living, you know? Looking at the record over the last twenty-odd years, it goes without saying, I should think, that there is a very high fatality rate in the rock & roll music business. Look at the list, man, look at who's been scythed down: Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran. The list is endless. And the greats, a lot of the greats have gone down. Otis, man. I mean, that one killed soul music.

I've always felt that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest loss. Did you know him?
Fairly well. By the period of his demise — to put it politely — he was at the point of totally putting down and negating everything that had made him what he was. I mean all the psychedelic stuff. He felt like he'd been forced to do it over and over again so many times, just because that's what he was known for. When I first heard him, he was playing straight-ahead R&B.

When was that?
I first heard him on the road with Curtis Knight, and then I used to see him play at a club called Ondine's in New York.

What did you think when you first heard him?
I thought I was watching someone just about to break. But as far as his being a guitar player, I mean, I was disappointed when the records started comin' out. Although, given the time and that period, and given the fact that he was forced into an "English psychedelic bag" and then had to live with it because that's what made him ... one of the reasons that he was so down at the period when he died was because he couldn't find a way out of that. He wanted to just go back and start playing some funky music, and when he did, nobody wanted to know.

It was a weird period.
Yeah. Everybody got sort of carried on this tidal wave of success for doing outlandish things, until what they were really known for was the outlandishness of what they were doing, and not really what they were doing. I mean, even with Satanic Majesties, I was never hot on psychedelic music.

Everybody's always put Their Satanic Majesties Request down, but I've been listening to a clean copy of it recently and there's some good stuff on there, despite the ridiculous mix.
The only thing I can say, from the Stones' point of view, is that it was the first album we ever made off the road. Because we stopped touring; we just burned up by 1966. We finished Between the Buttons, you know, "Let's Spend the Night Together," and boom, we stopped working for like a year and a half. And in that year and a half, we had to make another album. And that was insane — on acid, busted, right? It was like such a fractured business, a total alien way of working to us at the time. So it kind of reflects. It's a fractured album. There are some good bits, and it's weird, and there's some real crap on it as well.
Has having kids changed you at all? Your son, Marlon, is almost a teenager now, right?
Just about, yeah. He's beatin' the shit out of me. It's gotten to the point now, in the last few months, where I've noticed he's coming up and reprimanding me, you know? "Dad! Get up! There's a rehearsal. They're waitin'!" And I'm takin' it — I'm takin it! "Yeah, okay, I'm ready. Give me my jeans." And he says, "Oh, yeah — you look like you're ready. You got one eye closed!" I don't really have to worry about Marlon, he's so together. I mean, he's been on the road since he was about a year old, so to him this is all totally normal. He used to crash out to "Midnight Rambler" every night behind my amp, you know?

It's nice not to have to be a disciplinarian.
Yeah. Or only if something's really grating on my hangover. But I've been lucky. I've never been forced into that position of saying, "Now look here, son, you can't do that." I'm still half waiting for my own old man to start knocking me about — "Bloody rock & roll! You fool!" Bash!

Your dad's still alive?
Yeah. I have not seen him. Occasionally, I write him a letter: "I really want to get together with you again," you know? And I get a really nice letter back. He's a great guy, but very hard to get to know. He was born in 1914, and I didn't have anything to say to him when I was eighteen. It was a total stand-off, you know? And so I left home and got the band together with Mick and Brian.

Has your father ever seen Marlon?
No, no. I know what I should do, man, I know. I'm workin' on it now. In fact, I'm glad you asked me that. You reminded me, 'cause I sent him a letter about a month ago, saying, "If you wanna come over...." Either that or send him a ticket and say the plane's leaving, get your passport and get your ass over here. He's only been out of England once, and that was to France to get his leg blown up. The Anglo-American tour of Normandy, they called it.

Judging by some of the songs on 'Tattoo You,' your and Mick's attitudes toward women seem to have changed somewhat. With the exception of Little T&A," that is....
Well, that song's just about every good time I've had with somebody I'd met for a night or two and never seen again. And also about the shit that sometimes goes down when you just sort of bump into people unknowingly, and not knowing the scene you're walking in on, you know? You pick up a chick and end up spending the night in the tank, you know?

On the other hand, "Black Limousine," for instance, seems more generous in its appraisal of a past relationship. Quite vulnerable, really.
Yeah, because time marches on, et cetera. And also, I guess, because the women in our lives at the moment have made a change in our attitudes toward it. I guess because everything that comes out from the Stones is just as it comes out. I mean, you just turn on the tap and it pours out. That's how we used to feel about it, and that's how we feel about it now. This is purely a guess, because I haven't really thought about it, but it seems logical that the people you're with are the ones who are gonna influence you most, whether you intend it or not. Mick might intend to sit down and write a real Stones song — you know: "Blechhh! You cruddy piece of shit, you dirty old scrub box!" But obviously, that's not the way he's feeling now. It's not the way I'm feeling now.

Would it be fair to say that you're both in love?
Oh, yeah. But I've always been in love.

It seems like you and Patti, though...,
It's a big one, it's a big one. Yeah. It doesn't matter, I'll tell ya — yeah, I'm in love. Those are the things that, when you're at the other end of the scale, you know, and you think, "Oh, goddamn, you can only be in love when you're eighteen or twenty-three or...But then you get older and suddenly — bang! One again! And you realize that was all a load of crap. And those are the things that turn you on, you know? Those are the things that make you look forward, keep you going. You say, well, if it can happen, keep on going. I mean, it's the greatest feeling in the world, right?

Love is good!
Love wears a white Stetson.

This was an article from the November 12, 1981 issue of Rolling Stone.

Date: October 17, 2010 19:26

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 18, 2010 13:21

Quite a long read but thanks anyway !smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 18, 2010 15:06

Thanks, JJackFl, for sharing this all! Amazing job!

- Doxa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2058
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home