Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are Stones Misleading Their Fans?
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 11, 2010 21:09

A friend of mine who has been a Stones fanatic for nearly a half century (I was a casual fan until I saw a replay of the live HBO concert at MSG in '03) thinks the Stones have no intention of ever touring again but that they will continue to keep the door open just enough (continue to hint at touring) as an aid (or tool) to assist them in the promotions and sales of the many releases and re-issues they have apparently tagged for distribution over the next five to ten years. The basis for his opinion is apparently rooted in what he considers to be a dramatic drop off in performance between '06 and '07, the subsequent years of inactivity, and some rumor that the crews (at the conclusion of the A Bigger Bang tour) were told by the Stones that there would be no future tours.

I do not agree with him and have never heard of this rumor. Do you agree or disagree with him? And what about this rumor? I would very much appreciate your input.

Re: Are Stones Misleading Their Fans?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 11, 2010 21:19

They have been around since 1962. They make no promises and they do not owe anyone. They simply live their lives as you and me. How can you mislead when you don't announce anything that might be misleading. They have in fact been touring for five - 5 - decades, all the way up to and including 2007, while most other bands from the 60's have been off tour for decades...

However, they will go on tour again, and again, as long as they live. Not because they owe anything to you or to me, but because they simply love what they do.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 11, 2010 22:03

bv
They have been around since 1962. They make no promises and they do not owe anyone. They simply live their lives as you and me. How can you mislead when you don't announce anything that might be misleading. They have in fact been touring for five - 5 - decades, all the way up to and including 2007, while most other bands from the 60's have been off tour for decades...

However, they will go on tour again, and again, as long as they live. Not because they owe anything to you or to me, but because they simply love what they do.

As I stated I do not agree with my friends opinion and of course they don't owe us anything. I would agree that up to this point they have done nothing that in my opinion qualifies as misleading, that's why the question mark, however, if they were to continue to hint about a tour year in and year out and never tour again then one might ultimately conclude that they have been mislead. Personally, I don't think the Stones have (or ever will) intentionally mislead their fans.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 11, 2010 22:12

What alot of nonsense..The Rolling Stones aren't misleading anyone they just aren't like that.If anyone is doing any misleading its the fans misleading each other if ya' ask me.The only person The Stones have probably mislead is the Taxman..but hey'..why not no big deal.
There's a thread on page 8 Whats your favourite Conspiracy Theory?..stick it in there with all the rest of them...cheers mate..smoking smiley

Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: September 11, 2010 22:31

A lot of fans mislead each other with a lot of false rumour and hearsay and lets face it ive probably done it myself.Do The Stones owe us anything of course they do,ive got a massive Stones collection seen them live and its cost me a fortune to follow them over the years.Without the fans groups/artists dont exist,we pay their wages.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 11, 2010 22:43

The Stones owe us nothing.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 11, 2010 22:46

MKjan

They owe me that fan club DVD we got promised. That fan club fee I paid for myself and 2 friends for a concert in Barcelona that didn't happen (ok, that's not their fault)

Date: September 11, 2010 22:48

Lorenz
MKjan

They owe me that fan club DVD we got promised. That fan club fee I paid for myself and 2 friends for a concert in Barcelona that didn't happen (ok, that's not their fault)
haha yeah Lorenz, the club owes you!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 11, 2010 22:56

tumbling phil
A lot of fans mislead each other with a lot of false rumour and hearsay and lets face it ive probably done it myself.Do The Stones owe us anything of course they do,ive got a massive Stones collection seen them live and its cost me a fortune to follow them over the years.Without the fans groups/artists dont exist,we pay their wages.

tumbling phil..*Without the fans groups/artists dont exist,we pay their wages*
That maybe so..but in saying that mate The Rolling Stones don't owe their fans anything.Well thats certainly the way I look at it.

Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: September 11, 2010 23:05

Dont get me wrong im not against The Stones in anyway i just feel we pay the wages of all rock n roll artists,without our money they wouldnt be there.Perhaps if Keith sent me a bottle of Jack at xmas....drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-11 23:06 by tumbling phil.

Date: September 11, 2010 23:05

colonial
tumbling phil

tumbling phil..*Without the fans groups/artists dont exist,we pay their wages*
That maybe so..but in saying that mate The Rolling Stones don't owe their fans anything.Well thats certainly the way I look at it.

Another way to look at it, you CHOSE to pay what you describe as a fortune, your choice to do that, and you have been paid with great music and shows.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 11, 2010 23:23

I agree that they don't us anything to anyone BUT if they do another tour, they do owe the fans a great show ; I think that it's not a certainty that they will tour next year because I still think they are having a tough time getting insured. I know, the great show and the insurance are separate issues, but the fact remains that Keith and Ronnie perform at sub-par levels on some nights. Mick does not want to put on a performance that is not up to his standards. The insurance issue is a real concern; BV, has this been resolved for sure??

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 11, 2010 23:36

Sorry for the typo...I meant the Stones don't OWE us anything. That ewas a really screwed up sentence...MAN!! I'm not even drinking, maybe I should.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: September 11, 2010 23:37

Back to the original post and I only contribute because of some of the comments as they applied to past performace.

First I think the notion the Stones would mislead is crazy. I do however do not see the harm in them keeping alive what are `The Rolling Stones` while they feel out their aging and what it means to a big time touring band. Come on folks, a couples of years on the road, the one thing bands say chew them up. The way life goes it seems the heath fanatics fall dead so we could be surprized by Mick dropping over Keith`s well preserved approach (lol). My point is give them some credit to try to do what Keith needs to do, take the children out.

However, saying that I do beleive ther was something afoot at the end of the second round of the NA BB in Vancouver. A sence as a band for the first time, maybe, we are having trouble pulling this level of show off. These are just bits I noted but consider....on the CD they devoted a segment to the show as the last of the tour yet Europe was ahead. The whole feel of the CD bit and the night was very, hard to explain it, emotional maybe. Why emotional if you will be continuing in the near future. Second, the three song set, out of the blue the band wants to give Keith this, explain that one. The photo of Keith kissing Ronnie at the end of YGTS, I was close enough to see this and they were not happy, possibly the last chance for such a meeting on stage. And lastly I too heard just after the show from someone at the after party that the word was folks had been told no more shows. I left the show with this eary feeling I had just seen an interesting night in the life of a band. All just little bits but it does fit with the cancelled shows adding up to at least the thought that the boys may have had at least a glimmer of their upcoming age limitations.

Give them space and with luck again we can enjoy the children.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 11, 2010 23:37

A creaking door hangs longest.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 12, 2010 01:07

i'd bet that the new stage is being designed,tour dates being scheduled, and plans for a new recording are all in the works. a world wide tour stones tour requires many months of preparation. a new recording is a piece of cake as these guys have a tons of songs ready to record or already have been recorded. we will see them on the road next year.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 12:47

even if they never tour again there's nothing misleading about it.maybe they simply do not not want to be listed as a band that broke up.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 12, 2010 16:08

They don't make much money with the reissues anyway. They make money with touring.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 12, 2010 17:30

I don't think the Stones are misleading anyone. There may be some people who post on this board who are, but only time will tell!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 12, 2010 19:40

I'm more curious about "the many releases and re-issues they have apparently tagged for distribution over the next five to ten years"! That is news to me!!!

We know about Ladies & Gentlemen and Let's Spend The Night Together. That's not what anyone would call 'many'.

So what is in store!!!????

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 12, 2010 19:41

they owe us fair prices and fair chances at hard to get tix, those are my only gripes

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 12, 2010 19:55

Yes they are misleading their fans - too much Blondie, not enough Keithy. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 13, 2010 04:43

I owe them.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 13, 2010 17:06

...if they come back and play anywhere near or better than they did for the Licks Tour it will be a revelation and pure pandemonium for fans and the tour promomoters.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 13, 2010 17:12

it's not uncommon for bands to mislead their fans. take a look at what they say to them on stage.
"hello (insert city here), we love this place!"
"goodnight (insert city here), we'll be back soon!"

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 13, 2010 17:14

Money is on touring.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2010 18:09

skipstone
I'm more curious about "the many releases and re-issues they have apparently tagged for distribution over the next five to ten years"! That is news to me!!!

We know about Ladies & Gentlemen and Let's Spend The Night Together. That's not what anyone would call 'many'.

So what is in store!!!????

yes it is. In the last year youve had those two announced, plus Exile and we've also had an expanded Ya yas release.

UMG mentioned further archive releases if the Exile reissue went well - and it most certainly did.

[www.billboard.com]

Universal is in talks with the band about finalizing the next project, with the label keen on one or two major reissues per year. Universal's deal covers the catalog from "Sticky Fingers" onward, and Andrew Daw, marketing director of the Universal Strategic Marketing division of Universal Music Group International, cites next year's 30th anniversary of "Fingers" as one possible project with strong commercial potential. Meanwhile, this fall will bring the release of a remastered collector's boxed set of all 14 post-1971 studio albums on heavyweight vinyl, although future plans will ultimately be dictated by the success of "Exile."

"It's important for us to do really well with this," Daw says. "If this was to flop badly, then the incentive for the band to invest time into doing future ones isn't as attractive."

"There's a very strategic, mapped-out five-year plan to highlight all the incredible albums and time periods," Davis says. "Every arm and facet of Universal Music Group is working this project to ensure its success."

Eagle Rock have released 'Stones in Exile' and 'L&G' this year, and I'd imagine there are plans for other similar archive releases.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2010 18:20

Remember also that the UMG contract is primarily for archive releases over a five year period. The Stones have agreed to release new material but they're not 'obliged' to do so.

The first wave of the UMG remasters sold very very poorly. The Exile reissue certainly turned things around and its been a long time since any Stones release got so much marketing thrown behind it and so much press coverage. I think that shows UMG's intent to clawing back some return on their investment. They're promoting the band with far more zeal than EMI had done for over a decade.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 13, 2010 19:13

stonescrow
A friend of mine who has been a Stones fanatic for nearly a half century (I was a casual fan until I saw a replay of the live HBO concert at MSG in '03) thinks the Stones have no intention of ever touring again but that they will continue to keep the door open just enough (continue to hint at touring) as an aid (or tool) to assist them in the promotions and sales of the many releases and re-issues they have apparently tagged for distribution over the next five to ten years. The basis for his opinion is apparently rooted in what he considers to be a dramatic drop off in performance between '06 and '07, the subsequent years of inactivity, and some rumor that the crews (at the conclusion of the A Bigger Bang tour) were told by the Stones that there would be no future tours.

I do not agree with him and have never heard of this rumor. Do you agree or disagree with him? And what about this rumor? I would very much appreciate your input.

Rumors are just that, rumors. Unless an official statement is released or one of the core members makes a statement it sounds like, like... a rumor!

CBII

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 21:01

bv

do you really believe this? they´ll do it forever because they love it?
don´t think they will do it any longer than they will be able to make big money with stadium tours.

i can imagine they have no plans to tour (and maybe that would be actually wise not to tour) but spread some rumors they will to stay current.

but if so, this will not work any longer than next year. if they don´t tour next year it´s over.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home