Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You Can't Always Get What You Want: My Life with the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and Other Wonderful Reprobates
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:18

should I bother with this Sam Cutler book?

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Re: You Can't Always Get What You Want: My Life with the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and Other Wonderful Reprobates
Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:49

I'm almost done reading it and I have to say it's not really as good as I was hoping. Sam kind of goes to great lengths to show what a true-blue dedicated hippy he was/is, but is a bit short on really interesting stories. Having said that there are some interesting bits about Altamont and the '69 tour that give you a little different perspective than you might have had before (from Stanley Booth's book for instance).

Now my next complaint is a bit more personal and might not be all that interesting to the casual reader. Sam describes the Festival Express tour of Canada in 1970 that included artists like the Grateful Dead, The Band, Janis Joplin, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and others. Sam says this was going to be a coast to coast tour of Canada. The tour was starting in Toronto and was then going to head west to the west coast of Canada. Here is a map of Canada with Toronto indicated by the "A". [maps.google.ca] Does that look like the east coast of Canada to you??!! Only to someone who would think Detroit is the east coast of the U.S.!! Hey Sam, that large body of water you saw next to Toronto was Lake Ontario, not the Atlantic Ocean!! Maybe that acid you were taking wasn't as harmless as you thought!! Now the tour wasn't successful and didn't make it to the west coast. Sam writes on page 265, "The demands of the East Coast radicals denied the West Coast cousins the chance to see the finest bill of music that had ever been put together in Canada." Sam, here's a newsflash, not only did you not make the west coast of Canada, YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE F&%KING EAST COAST EITHER!!

I am a native of the east coast of Canada and had to get that of my chest. OK back to percussion Grimblewick...

Re: You Can't Always Get What You Want: My Life with the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and Other Wonderful Reprobates
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 30, 2010 23:36

good post tippy toe. funny.
it's too bad the book was disappointing.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 23:58 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 31, 2010 00:30

Great post Tippy Toe. I like your passion.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 31, 2010 00:32

I enjoyed the book. That cat had an interesting life for sure. It may be a bit self serving..always showing Sam in the best light with the best intentions, but hey, it IS his book.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 31, 2010 02:56

Thanks for all responses. I am skimming the book for now.
I think i'm going to read "Rolling with the Stones" again,
and then "Life" (for sure!)

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home