Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Goin' Home
Posted by: René ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:11

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Goin’ Home
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, December 3 - 8, 1965

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - harmonica
Ian Stewart - piano
Jack Nitzsche - percussion

Spendin' too much time away, I can't stand another day, maybe you think I've seen the world, but I'd rather see my girl, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, bome, bome, bome-bome-bome, home, bome, bome, bome, back home, yes, I am, all those letters ev'ry day, maybe alright in their way, but I'd love to see your face when I get home in their place, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, bome, bome, bome-bome-bome, home, bome, bome, bome, back home, yes, I am, alright, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, bome, bome, bome-bome-bome, home, bome, bome, bome, back home, yes, I will, when you're three thousand miles away, I just never sleep the same, if I packed my things right now,
I could be home in seven hours, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home, bome, bome, bome-bome-bome, home, bome, bome, bome, back home, yes, I will, yes, I will, see my baby, see my baby, I wanna see my girl, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I'll see my baby, she'll make me feel alright, gotta see my baby, she'll make me feel so good, she'll make me feel alright, yes, she does, in the middle of the night, so good, so tight, I feel alright, come on baby, I'm gonna get home babe, I feel alright, I'm lookin' for my baby, I'm gonna go in the early morning, I'm gonna catch that plane, now it won't be long, I say, listen to me, long time since I've seen my baby, yes, it is, it's such a long, long time, yes, it is, I feel alright, I'm gonna see my baby, one more time, I get home, I gotta get home, I wanna see my darling, I wanna make sweet, sweet love, in the middle of the night, early in the morning, in the midnight hour, she'll make me feel so good, she'll make me feel alright, when she touch my hands, and that's all I gotta say, cause I'm gonna pack my bags, I wanna see you baby, see your face, your pretty little smile, your pretty clothes, hear you talk, come on, I'm comin' home, I'll see my baby, I'm goin' home, I'm gettin' out to see your face, makin' love to you baby, yes, it makes me feel so good inside, I feel so good inside, touch me one more time, come on little girl, you may look sweet, but I know you ain't, but I know you ain't

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Aftermath” LP
(Decca SKL 4786) UK, April 15, 1966

Re: Track Talk: Goin' Home
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:31

maybe a few of the details are a bit dubious, but i love ALO's description of the Stones recording this:

The Stones were four minutes into Going Home and to everybody it felt like a great take – the take.
But as I tapped along and looked up through the control room window into the studio I knew something was up
as Charlie looked at Keith, who didn't look back, and Bill looked at Charlie as if to say, 'I don't know either.'
I turned to Dave Hassinger. 'Dave, they don't know how to end it; they don't have a fvkkin' ending.' ...
Dave turned oh so slowly towards me and shot me a look that said, 'there ain't nothing I can do about it.'
Now at the five-minute line of Going Home, the Rolling Stones kept rocking along. Mick's vocal was over
and he crossed his arms without missing a beat. Keith curled into his guitar, playing away any problem,
not allowing anyone to catch his eye. As we crossed into six minutes, it was still the one, still the take,
but if something didn't happen and somebody take charge and find an ending, we could be derailed.
It didn't matter that the take had eclipsed the four-minute-tops borderline; the track was holding
and I wanted the Stones to make every second of this majestic piece releasable.
When they had mapped it out they hadn't allowed they'd nailed such a great one that fast,
and now they were a plane looking for a safe landing.

Charlie couldn't catch Keith's eye; Keith would only let me have the sly underbelly of his ...
At seven minutes Charlie looked, I waved a circle, meaning just keep it moving. He looked at me for a few seconds,
figured it in and nodded his head. Bill heard Charlie step it up and followed him.
Brian and Keith now admitted they were playing together, stayed on the money and got on the ride.
Stu shrugged, grinned and started to glide. Mick looked for and found the right harp,
wrapped his lips around it and sucked his way into our ears forever with a triumphant groan. ...
Charlie looked in my direction, then made the obvious suggestion by looking down at the floor.
The Stones followed suit and allowed themselves to descend to a last apres skasmic crawl.
Eleven minutes-plus on the slopes and spent; thank God we'd had enough tape between reels.
The group fell about, as well they should, exhilarated. They laughed, hugged each other and collapsed on the floor.
Going Home was done and so were we. I had just witnessed a musical moment of the forever,
the Rolling Stones having just broken the sound barrier with ease.

- from Andrew Oldham's Stoned

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 11:33 by with sssoul.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:33

Great song alway's loved it, played it a lot back then.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:38

Well, it's not a GREAT song but I like it, always have. It's very, very SPECIAL.
One of the first jams in pop/rock music?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:41

The first few minutes are enjoyable, but after that...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:43

Is that all Brians doin on that song? Playing Harp?

confused smiley

Well, it's a great song anyhow.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: August 30, 2010 12:49

Come On
Is that all Brians doin on that song? Playing Harp?

confused smiley

Well, it's a great song anyhow.

I think it is...but I could be wrong. LOVE this song!!

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 30, 2010 12:52

one of the best Stones songs and maybe Mick Jagger's best vocal performance in the Brian Jones era.
The most amazing thing is that it never gets boring - in contrast to Satisfaction for example which gets boring after a few minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 12:54 by slewan.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 30, 2010 13:08

Longest rock or pop song before Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands came along a few months later I do believe. And still the Stones longest ever studio song.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 30, 2010 13:34

Thanks With Sssoul, for the story.
Now, didn't Bill mention in Stone Alone that Keith took off his jacket during the recording
and this can be heard somewhere? Not that I noticed, but I do remember reading something like that.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 30, 2010 13:45

Good song, in the beginning, but then a little bit boring because the instrumental abilities of the band are rather restricted. After minute three had to be a extended guitar solo and another solos of other instruments like harp or sax, then it would have been an interesting track. A tune made for live improvisations, it would be nice to hear it so on the next tour.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:00

I like it a lot, and I like the lack of solos. But sometimes I do want to edit it down to, say, 8 mnutes.
Aftermath generally could have been trimmed a little. It's one of my favourite albums (Stones or otherwise) and when it's good it's brilliant but it's also 55 minutes long when albums were generally about 35 minutes and has moments that could have been left in the studio or kept for b-sides and compilations.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:07

You never get the perfect album, do you? Even after 44 years there is details to improve...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:25

Silver Dagger
Longest rock or pop song before Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands came along a few months later I do believe. And still the Stones longest ever studio song.

sorry - Bob Dylan's Desolation Row (released on Highway 61 Revisited on 30.8.1965) is a few seconds longer than Goin' Home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 16:25 by slewan.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:59

The worst Stones song in the Brian Jones Era. Eleven and a half minutes of boring rubbish.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 30, 2010 17:58

Better than everything what the Bealtes ever did.
Fantastic from beginning to end, incl. several climaxes.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: August 30, 2010 20:26

I wouldn't say it's a great song but it is unique for the Stones and I like it.
It is special and I like listening to it.
Seems like I read somewhere but I don't remember where
that even Charlie threw something at Keith
or Keith threw something at Charlie
to bring it to an end.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 30, 2010 21:01

The credits at the beginning of this thread say Brian played harp. Then the next entry, concerning ALO's rememberance, says Mick played harp. Was Brian still playing harp on Stones records by this time?

Date: August 30, 2010 22:31

24FPS
The credits at the beginning of this thread say Brian played harp. Then the next entry, concerning ALO's rememberance, says Mick played harp. Was Brian still playing harp on Stones records by this time?

The harp on this track sounds 100% Brian to me, especially the choo-choo train improvs towards the end. Brian played harp throughout his entire tenure with Stones.

Date: August 30, 2010 22:38

ALO says Brian played on the track, then says Mick played the harp from the middle on. There's only one guitar, so that must have been Brian playing harp till the middle, according to ALO. Must have been some good air-harp by Mick!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2010 22:48

Think this is the first song with a sex drive, as TooTough mentioned with several climaxes

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 30, 2010 23:11

I love the bluesy feel of 'Going Home', although i think it is fair to say the track sort of meanders a little over its 11 minutes duration. However, when it is good, it is truly excellent, The first two choruses and verses are extremely effective, as is Jagger's improvised vocal at times also. I believe though generally that the track would have been more effective if it had been condensed a little. However, Jagger's improvised vocal, when in full flow, is rather a progressive development to the Stones sound in 1966, which pretty much reflects their live sound. In that respect 'Going Home' may have proven quite a significant recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 23:12 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 1, 2010 13:20

How does it come about that an instrumental-only version of Goin' Home exists (see the Tracking Cookie thread for YouTube version)? Is this extremely skilful back-editing from the released track, or is it possible (O heresy!) that the whole thing was not in fact done in one inspired take and Mick's vocals are overdubbed?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 24, 2010 04:39

You gotta give credit to the band for going out on a limb and releasing a track this long in 1965. Only other artist with the balls to do that was Dylan. And it works, fitfully ... kind of takes us on the journey home with Mick, as he gets more and more pumped about seeing his baby. Some raw and sexy lyrics, too, with a nod to Wilson Pickett. Love that last line.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-24 04:39 by drewmaster.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 24, 2010 05:15

Probably my favorite Stones song from the sixties.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 9, 2011 11:17

I've always thought of this as a Stones song your supposed to like "Because it's 11 minutes, man!" When actually it sounds like pasty-faced, pimply English boys trying to sound edgy who don't. They've got their learner's permit but they think it's an actual license.

I'd rather hear an 11 minute DOWN IN THE HOLE instead.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 9, 2011 11:39

I'd like to hear it in mono. It's never quite worked for me in stereo.

Date: May 9, 2011 11:47

Love it! But I'm pretty sure Brian plays the other guitar track as well.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 9, 2011 11:51

Go to approx 23:20 to hear the live Goin' Home - Satisfaction medley...& some incredible harp playing from Brian! smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2011 01:43

DandelionPowderman
Love it! But I'm pretty sure Brian plays the other guitar track as well.

Which one?

Keith obviously played the tremolo guitar and the lead guitar has many Keith type licks.

Brian played harmonica on the track and a damn fine job he did too.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home