Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Muddy Waters painting the ceiling
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 22, 2014 00:19

this is a Keith fiction just Like Ronnie saying he was at Hyde park in 69...in fact he played Detroit that night with Jeff Beck...memories and facts can ruin a new yarn.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: October 22, 2014 00:25

Seeing is Believing

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 22, 2014 00:53

Doxa
Thanks, Rockman! thumbs up Nice to hear some fresh stories about those sessions! Cool cats, those two, Walter and Sonny boy...grinning smiley

Bill "honest, but boring" Wyman, by the way, seems to be a good story killer...

- Doxa

winking smiley

In one of his books, Bill says that Muddy Waters wasn't painting the ceiling but he did carry
their gear into Chess Records.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 22, 2014 01:24

Reminds me of how on 25x5 and numerous other occasions through the years they say Tell Me was the first original song that they came up with after being locked in a room by Andrew. Then on Fallon recently Keith said it was As Tears Go By. I think Keith likes to juice up the story depending on the situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 01:26 by shadooby.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2014 05:23

blivet
treaclefingers
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Gotta say, I couldn't disagree more. Knowing what actually happened is incredibly valuable. Good stories are a dime a dozen; there's only one truth.

Gotta say, seems as though you've never been introduced to the concept of sarcasm.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 05:41

with sssoul
blivet
treaclefingers

Gotta say, I couldn't disagree more. Knowing what actually happened is incredibly valuable. Good stories are a dime a dozen; there's only one truth.

Which doesn't mean Bill is in possession of it.
Why should I believe Bill over Buddy Guy and Junior Wells?
just because he doesn't recall it? Hmp.

I was responding to the part I was quoting. I have no idea who was where, or who is making stuff up or who has a bad memory, but I object to the idea that it's better to have a cool story than a description of what actually happened.

Date: October 22, 2014 05:42

treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers

Gotta say, seems as though you've never been introduced to the concept of sarcasm.

Sorry if I didn't pick up on it, but I don't see any indication of sarcasm in what you wrote.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 22, 2014 07:27

blivet
treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers

Sorry if I didn't pick up on it, but I don't see any indication of sarcasm in what you wrote.

There is a time for truth and a time for story stretching,. Truth is not always as entertaining and I often just want to be entertained! peace

Re: Muddy Waters, Chess Studios & the Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 22, 2014 13:49

with sssoul
... i've never read anything where Muddy Waters disavowed it, but Marshall Chess and Bill Wyman both have.

it is true that Muddy Waters was at Chess studios one of the days the Stones recorded there, and helped them with their gear.
i believe Keith that someone was painting the ceiling - er i mean the goddamn ceiling. :E
maybe Keith was just looking the wrong direction when someone whispered "cor blimey, look - it's Muddy Waters!"
and the wrong image got tattooed on his psyche

This is still the version that makes the most sense to me.

Date: October 22, 2014 13:55

with sssoul
with sssoul
... i've never read anything where Muddy Waters disavowed it, but Marshall Chess and Bill Wyman both have.

it is true that Muddy Waters was at Chess studios one of the days the Stones recorded there, and helped them with their gear.
i believe Keith that someone was painting the ceiling - er i mean the goddamn ceiling. :E
maybe Keith was just looking the wrong direction when someone whispered "cor blimey, look - it's Muddy Waters!"

Or that carrying their gear and painting the ceiling are metaphors on how the stars contributed and got along with newbies at the Chess Family...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 22, 2014 15:02

stonehearted
... the john, and there was Muddy, you know, "painting the ceiling".

No, I don't.
But please don't elaborate;
since it all happened in 'the john' I'm kinda reluctant about learning more about it...

Date: October 22, 2014 16:44

blivet
treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers

No problem...that line is not mine, and is inherently sarcastic.

It's the 'back door' way of telling someone, "you're full of sh*t".

Date: October 22, 2014 16:46

with sssoul
with sssoul

I'd contend that if you added alcohol to that equation, then it definitely makes sense.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: October 22, 2014 17:29

A long time ago - mid 60's probably - Keith Richards figured it out. He developed an act and a persona that has some how managed to last for more than 40 years. Over the years he has refined it - (the raspy laugh/cough after he say's something 'jarring' but 'to the point'). I take nothing that this guy says as a complete truth. Mick is a shallow money grubbing elitist, Ron Wood speaks in cliché's and really says nothing, Charlie Watts has perfected the 'humble and refined' and has added the 'why the fuss, I'm just an old man' routine pretty well.

What a rip-off.

I fell for it for about 30 years.

Enjoy the 'shows' Australia. Save the money---watch it on Youtube. It'll be the same show....guaranteed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 17:47

swiss
liddas
For what matters, in James Phelge's book the quote is attributed to Brian Jones, not Keith.

In any case, true or not true, does it really matter?

Does it matter whether something is fabricated vs. true...?

Only with FOX News does it not matter. The truth, that is. The truth has zero relevance to FOX News.

So that means that Keith is sometimes a FOX Newesque story teller!

Date: October 22, 2014 18:04

sodapop
A long time ago - mid 60's probably - Keith Richards figured it out. He developed an act and a persona that has some how managed to last for more than 40 years. Over the years he has refined it - (the raspy laugh/cough after he say's something 'jarring' but 'to the point'). I take nothing that this guy says as a complete truth. Mick is a shallow money grubbing elitist, Ron Wood speaks in cliché's and really says nothing, Charlie Watts has perfected the 'humble and refined' and has added the 'why the fuss, I'm just an old man' routine pretty well.

What a rip-off.

I fell for it for about 30 years.

Enjoy the 'shows' Australia. Save the money---watch it on Youtube. It'll be the same show....guaranteed.

It's tour time, and like clockwork sodapop is popping by to trash Keith and the band again.

You can do that more often if you like, you know...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 22, 2014 18:09

Think Keith will fall out of a eucalyptus tree while in AUS/NZ?

Date: October 22, 2014 18:25

GasLightStreet
Think Keith will fall out of a eucalyptus tree while in AUS/NZ?

He fell yesterday, and says he remembers the Beast Of Burden-riff again thumbs up

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 22, 2014 19:23

GasLightStreet
swiss
liddas
For what matters, in James Phelge's book the quote is attributed to Brian Jones, not Keith.

Only with FOX News does it not matter. The truth, that is. The truth has zero relevance to FOX News.

You just CAN'T resist. FACT of the matter is they tell the truth. All the others are No-Bama lapdogs. See what you started.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 22, 2014 20:08

Someone once told me that the real meaning of "apocryphal" is even if it's not true it should be.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2014 20:19

alhavu1
GasLightStreet
swiss
liddas

You just CAN'T resist. FACT of the matter is they tell the truth. All the others are No-Bama lapdogs. See what you started.

Hmm.. I missed something, who tells the truth? Keith? Fox news? If the latter, please leave that political propaganda, that has only a point in the very limited American context, out of this international site, thank you.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 20:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: October 22, 2014 20:38

"Keith Richards: Marshall was a boy then"

Funny how Keith said so because Marshall's over a year and a half older than Keith. But you know, it's Keith... smoking smiley

Wikipedia: Marshall Chess (born 13 March 1942, Chicago, Illinois)

Date: October 22, 2014 21:13

DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
with sssoul

Or that carrying their gear and painting the ceiling are metaphors on how the stars contributed and got along with newbies at the Chess Family...

DandelionPowderman, with all due respect... "the Chess Family"?? Everyone side by
side pitchin' in and doin' their part, paintin' and haulin' and puttin' on a show and
recordin' and dancin'? winking smiley

Date: October 22, 2014 21:15

treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers

Perhaps more ironic than sarcastic spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 22, 2014 21:46

swiss
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
with sssoul

DandelionPowderman, with all due respect... "the Chess Family"?? Everyone side by
side pitchin' in and doin' their part, paintin' and haulin' and puttin' on a show and

He he smiling smiley

In fairness, Muddy welcomed them, and helped carrying their gear.

Becoming part of "the family" after two days of recording might be a stretch, though...

Date: October 22, 2014 22:35

treaclefingers

I never knew that. I'm familiar with the phrase, but I had always assumed that the people saying it really meant they'd rather have a good story than the boring truth.

Live and learn...

Date: October 22, 2014 22:58

DandelionPowderman
swiss
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
with sssoul

He he smiling smiley

Becoming part of "the family" after two days of recording might be a stretch, though...

he he smiling smiley

Also, I guess I'm not convinced of the notion of "family" in the Chess enterprise. My
questioning may arise from the sense (and knowledge, being an American) of what it
often has meant when white business owners suggest a "family" relationship among
themselves and the black people who are financially dependent on them. It is very
complicated. Even more so in the 1960s.

Date: October 22, 2014 23:01

blivet
treaclefingers

I never knew that. I'm familiar with the phrase, but I had always assumed that the people saying it really meant they'd rather have a good story than the boring truth.

Live and learn...

fwiw...I have always seen the expression as a wry nod to the reality that many people
would rather hear an entertaining fiction than The Truth - but that the person who
utters it does not necessarily hold that view -- in fact, probably does not, but is
just stating this truism.

Date: October 22, 2014 23:11

swiss
DandelionPowderman
swiss
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
with sssoul

He he smiling smiley

he he smiling smiley

Also, I guess I'm not convinced of the notion of "family" in the Chess enterprise. My
questioning may arise from the sense (and knowledge, being an American) of what it
often has meant when white business owners suggest a "family" relationship among
themselves and the black people who are financially dependent on them. It is very
complicated. Even more so in the 1960s.

I know. Those "partnerships" were especially uneven in the 50s and 60s. Lots of phony royalties and exploitation of the musicians.

But I reckon Keith felt at home, as well being pretty starstruck among his heroes smiling smiley

Date: October 22, 2014 23:57

swiss
treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers
blivet
treaclefingers

Perhaps more ironic than sarcastic spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

what she said...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home