Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question: U.S. Release - Ladies and Gentlemen - One Night Only??
Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 18, 2010 23:52

Hello U.S. based IORRians,

Just want to confirm:

Is the U.S. Theatrical Release of Ladies and Gentlemen really only ONE NIGHT? (Sept. 16th).

Why?

This blows!

Re: Question: U.S. Release - Ladies and Gentlemen - One Night Only??
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 19, 2010 00:02

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 14:22 by misterfrias.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 19, 2010 00:13

Well, guess I know what I'll be doing on the night of Sept. 16th!

I know it will be showing in several theaters here in the SF Bay Area.

And I think you are correct about the lack of turn out.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 19, 2010 00:19

It's kind of the latest fad as a way to promote an upcoming DVD release. Springsteen did it and they also did the same thing with the Crossroads festival.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:07

sweetcharmedlife
It's kind of the latest fad as a way to promote an upcoming DVD release. Springsteen did it and they also did the same thing with the Crossroads festival.

Exactly. It's been going on for quite awhile now. As early as 2004, when The Who Live At The Isle Of wight was released on DVD, it was shown, just prior to its DVD release, for one night only at around 100 theaters across the U.S. They even handed out $3 off coupons for the DVD at the screening.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:11

tatters
Exactly. It's been going on for quite awhile now. As early as 2004, when The Who Live At The Isle Of wight was released on DVD, it was shown, just prior to its DVD release, for one night only at around 100 theaters across the U.S. They even handed out $3 off coupons for the DVD at the screening.

Wish I had seen that.

See, I have a copy of L&G on DVD, had it for ages but never watched it. Seeing something on a big screen changes things.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:26

tatters
sweetcharmedlife

I saw a screening of it in Orlando, FL. I don't know if it was a sell-out, but the place was packed, and the crowd totally into it. It was great, but the sound kinda sucked. A few minutes into it, the friend I went with actually spoke to someone who worked at the theater about it, they told him it was from a satellite feed and they had no control over it, other than volume. The guy said he'd see what he could do, and he seemed to adjust the volume or something, because it did improve slightly.

If this is the case with L&G that won't be good, because apparently the great thing about it, was the quad or whatever sound that it was shown with, back during it's original release. People on here who saw it then say it was absolutely amazing.

Date: August 19, 2010 02:42

bustedtrousers
tatters
sweetcharmedlife

I saw a screening of it in Orlando, FL. I don't know if it was a sell-out, but the place was packed, and the crowd totally into it. It was great, but the sound kinda sucked. A few minutes into it, the friend I went with actually spoke to someone who worked at the theater about it, they told him it was from a satellite feed and they had no control over it, other than volume. The guy said he'd see what he could do, and he seemed to adjust the volume or something, because it did improve slightly.

If this is the case with L&G that won't be good, because apparently the great thing about it, was the quad or whatever sound that it was shown with, back during it's original release. People on here who saw it then say it was absolutely amazing.

You know, I think I remember that too, about the beginning of the film not being loud enough, and getting kind of pissed because the tickets had been $15, double the cost of a normal movie ticket at that time, and I wanted it to be LOUD! They got it straightened out pretty quickly, but I think that for L&G, I'm going to try to see it at a theater that's used to putting on these kinds of special event screenings and knows how to do it properly, even if it means having to drive a little ways to get to a place like that. I'm not sure I trust the place that's right up the street from me!

Btw, I'm surprised you saw the Who film in a crowded theater. There were maybe 20 people at the screening I saw. I'm expecting a similar turnout for the Stones film.

I remember something else about that night. The Who were in the middle of a short U.S. tour and had a gig the same night as the Isle Of Wight screening. A friend of mine was going nuts over this. "What should I do?" he kept asking me. "Do I go to the concert? Or do I go to the screening?" I thought he was out of his mind. Having them in the same room with you, even in 2004, is ALWAYS gonna be much, much better than having them on a movie screen, even if the movie was filmed in 1970.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-19 03:48 by tatters.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 19, 2010 03:37

I havent seen anything about a showing in Ft Worth or Houston.(but then a lot of things get by me!) Just seems like they would show it in the towns it was shot in....

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 04:00

OK so where does one find info about where it will be shown?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 19, 2010 04:52

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:05

How about showings in Canada?...thanks in advance if anyone knows...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:23

Munichhilton
[www.fathomevents.com]

thanks!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:42

I won't be seeing this in a theater. I saw 'Shine a Light' at an AMC theater and the sound sucked. I'd rather enjoy it at home on my surround sound with a beer and a smoke.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 21, 2010 06:57

tatters
bustedtrousers
tatters
sweetcharmedlife

You know, I think I remember that too, about the beginning of the film not being loud enough, and getting kind of pissed because the tickets had been $15, double the cost of a normal movie ticket at that time, and I wanted it to be LOUD! They got it straightened out pretty quickly, but I think that for L&G, I'm going to try to see it at a theater that's used to putting on these kinds of special event screenings and knows how to do it properly, even if it means having to drive a little ways to get to a place like that. I'm not sure I trust the place that's right up the street from me!

Btw, I'm surprised you saw the Who film in a crowded theater. There were maybe 20 people at the screening I saw. I'm expecting a similar turnout for the Stones film.

I remember something else about that night. The Who were in the middle of a short U.S. tour and had a gig the same night as the Isle Of Wight screening. A friend of mine was going nuts over this. "What should I do?" he kept asking me. "Do I go to the concert? Or do I go to the screening?" I thought he was out of his mind. Having them in the same room with you, even in 2004, is ALWAYS gonna be much, much better than having them on a movie screen, even if the movie was filmed in 1970.

Haha! Yeah, the tickets were a bit pricey, weren't they. I think we paid the same. The sound was really pretty bad, I mean it was listenable, but it took away from the film. My experience was probably an 8/10, whereas with proper sound, it would have been 10/10.

I was a bit surprised the theater was so full too, and it was one of those larger ones with the big seats. And the crowd's enthusiasm shocked me, they were whooping and hollering like it was a concert. And they cracked up at Pete's interview beforehand. Florida has never been considered great Who territory from what I've read.

Again, my friend went and spoke to someone a few minutes in, he was like, "This is bullshit, sounds like crap, it ain't right", and walked over to an employee who happened to be standing near our seats, who told him it was just a feed, not much they could do. So even if you go to a "boutique" theater, if it's on a feed it may not make a difference, unfortunately. I also remember the picture not being all that spectacular either, considering it was a remaster or whatever. It did look like it was being transmitted or something, like we were seeing a picture of a picture, instead of a film that was being projected like normal. It was a bit grainy and dull, like 70's TV from an antenna.

Date: August 21, 2010 16:05

I think I read somewhere that show time on the 16th is going to be at 7:30 PM. I was hoping it would be a little later than that. If I have to work even a little bit late that night, I'll miss it.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 21, 2010 16:45

As long as It's on DVD, I not quite as perturbed by the only one day picture show opportunity. I can't wait.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 21, 2010 17:15

mccparty
Is the U.S. Theatrical Release of Ladies and Gentlemen really only ONE NIGHT? (Sept. 16th).

Why?

This blows!

Realistically, do you really think this type of film is suited for anything bigger?? OK..maybe a weekend.
One week would be a stretch. The potential audience is very limited.
Not worth it to major theaters to use one of its theaters for what would sort of be
a cult film. And besides...it's been around for decades.

Shine A Light was a different animal...completely new...and it had Scorsese's name
attached to it.

In the end...the L&G show is just to create a splash for dvd sales.

IORR............but I like it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home