Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: The Prince Incident in 1981 - Any pictures or recording?
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 27, 2014 14:24

No Californian stadium could stand to fit the collective egos of Prince and Richards in the same day. Something was bound to give I guess...

"I asked for an autograph for my GF and he said: No, I cant. Everyone would want one" - what a tosser...

as for Keith's description of Prince being a "talentless midget" - Keith has never had a normal filter working properly between his brain and mouth. Odd comment given Prince's talent(s) are parallel compared to Keith's that is singular.

I love Keith but he had one talent and thrashed it to hell - his rhythm playing (that's long dead) that allowed him to bang out catchy riffs and chord sequences.

Don't dig Prince's music at all but the guy is more musically talented - and anybody with talent should spot that effortlessly - than most music stars of the last century.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 27, 2014 14:55

I love Keef and respect him greatly, he is entitled to have opinions and to express them. However Prince is exceptionally talented and I would expected Keith to recognise true musical talent.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-27 14:58 by desertblues68.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 27, 2014 20:43

While Keith is 100% wrong, I completely see where he's coming from. At the time, Prince was like a pop/funk guy. At least thats how he was perceived. How would that even mix with Stones music at all? Its altogether very possible Keith didn't know about Prince's guitar talents at that point, because they weren't quite at the forefront yet.

Prince was not playing the blues, and he was certainly flamboyant at the time. All that put together, I'm not surprised at all that Keith had his reservations about him. Keith tends to be wrong, but any rocker from the 60s probably would have said the same thing about Prince at that time too.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 27, 2014 23:53

Anyone who is open minded when it comes to Prince (and hasn't heard anything but what they play on the radio) should give a listen to the album Sign o' the Times. That album contains one of everything the man does well, and he plays just about every note of it on every instrument.

The guy is incredible. I thought he was a pop idiot when I was in high school, but I bought tickets to see him on the Purple Rain tour because my girlfriend liked him. Cut school because you had to stand in line to buy them!

I was completely blown away by his guitar playing, his stage presence, and how much he rocked. Didn't expect it at all and left a total convert.

T@3

Date: July 28, 2014 02:11

OzHeavyThrobber
No Californian stadium could stand to fit the collective egos of Prince and Richards in the same day. Something was bound to give I guess...

"I asked for an autograph for my GF and he said: No, I cant. Everyone would want one" - what a tosser...

as for Keith's description of Prince being a "talentless midget" - Keith has never had a normal filter working properly between his brain and mouth. Odd comment given Prince's talent(s) are parallel compared to Keith's that is singular.

I love Keith but he had one talent and thrashed it to hell - his rhythm playing (that's long dead) that allowed him to bang out catchy riffs and chord sequences.

Don't dig Prince's music at all but the guy is more musically talented - and anybody with talent should spot that effortlessly - than most music stars of the last century.

Riffs and rhythm guitar is not the same thing. Keith was never really a typical rhythm guitar player. That's why we love him!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 28, 2014 03:42

Prince was booed and Thorogood was cheered for wildly? Seems like the crowd reaction was in reverse proportion to the talents of the performers..

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:02

Keith was also the co- author of the best songs in rock history. He has more talent in his crippled fingers than that freak Prince ever could hope for.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 28, 2014 06:07

Brstonesfan
Keith was also the co- author of the best songs in rock history. He has more talent in his crippled fingers than that freak Prince ever could hope for.

I agree, but I wasn't comparing Keith and Prince.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 28, 2014 07:06

At some point, in one of Keith's interviews he referred to Prince as "The Purple Pipsqueak" didn't he? And cited Purple Rain, as Prince indulgently referencing Jimmy Hendrix' Purple Haze. Point is Prince was already a known commodity by that point, so you'd think by then Keith would be aware Prince could at least play guitar fairly well.. smiling smiley

I don't think we get a positive nod from Keith towards Prince until the 2004 RR HOF induction he gives for ZZTop (a truly dreadful induction presentation really), where he acknowledges Prince for the epic contribution on While My Guitar Gently Weeps opener...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 07:07 by SweetThing.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 28, 2014 07:26

I don't think of any of the posters above have mentioned that there were "a pack of real-deal" Hell's Angels at that particular show, and according to one who was there to witness the incident, Prince wasn't actually booed off so much as beered off: [federicodecalifornia.wordpress.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 28, 2014 07:41

As well, there are photos available of Prince as the opener, which is what the OP was asking for. Note the debris field behind the musicians. This photo is taken from a blog by Prince's keyboardist Matt Fink, aka Dr. Fink, in which, oddly, he regards the experience of opening for the Stones on this tour as "a defining, character-building moment....even though it was scarier than hell."

Fink also confirms the presence of Hell's Angels in his blog noting that "The LA Coliseum shows were met with (hostile fans). I would say that the majority of them were Hell's Angel's down in front." He also mentions that "There were some people who did enjoy the concert."

So, after all, perhaps Prince was just "Altamonted" off the stage, and that this type of reception likely would not have happened in other cities had he continued throughout the tour as the opening act.

Further details from Dr. Fink's blog at: [beautifulnightschitown.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 28, 2014 08:02

Thanks for the photo... reminded me of Metallica at Donington '85.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 28, 2014 13:18

"Riffs and rhythm guitar is not the same thing. Keith was never really a typical rhythm guitar player. That's why we love him!"

I'm aware of that DP. My point is that thru his rhythm playing and messing around with chords and his fascination with the sound of them in some instances that songs (so many songs) like CYHMK were jammed into existence. I've played guit for 25 years and nutted out almost all Stones gear he's been a part of creating. It's pretty easy to determine which were 'written/composed' as to those that were jammed into existence and then formed/shaped etc by somebody else - obviously Jagger for the most part. If he were not the rhythm guitarist he is (was) he would never have been a part of these great songs coming to be.

That is Richards' talent. And for mine the last great riff he jammed was YGMR and the last great song he solely wrote was TITN. His hit/miss ratio since Exile has been woeful in my opinion.

Jagger is terribly sold short as a songwriter and it is assumed for the most part that all he did was "write the words" which anybody here would know is far from accurate.

Keith's unusual style/talent for rhythm playing is unique and to mine his only real gift - listen to the intro of "Sweet Virginia" for example. It shouldn't work at all. Yet it works so beautifully.

He can hum a melody and on occasion write some ok lyrics. he is and never has been a lead guitarist of any note and has delivered some of the worst soloing I have ever heard. The point is is that (imo) rhythm is the only talent he has that sets him apart from most other musicians. His ability of delivery left him decades ago too. Listen to him hammering the 12 string on ATGB or his rhythm playing on RT or "Angie" over the years. It's awful.

Prince: (again I don't like more than two songs of the hundreds I was once subjected to by a friend that loves him) can: sing a wide variety of styles and do them very well; regularly wrote songs and albums of note that required nobody else for assistance; plays over a dozen instruments for real (not a dabbler like Brian apparently was); has a God given ability to perform and captivate an audience (well except in California in 1978 it would seem...); in short (if you'd pardon my phrasing, his abundance of talent compared to almost anyone is light years more advanced. That includes Keith. It strikes me as odd that he would make yet another tasteless comment in a career littered with them about someone like Prince. It only shines a light on how short of talent he is when remarking such a throwaway and childish line.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 28, 2014 17:28

LOL. Iggy Pop was booed and pelted with everything but the kitchen sink in Pontiac in '81. Pontiac is essentially Detroit i.e. Iggy's hometown. Of course booing Iggy and throwing stuff at him is simply how one experienced Iggy in Detroit going back to '69.

Date: July 28, 2014 20:24

yes, 1981 was the last tour were the fans could be pretty rough. We had bikers circling the stadium in Orlando and many overdoses all day. Throughout the day before the Stones went on, many times the crow just threw stuff and not sad smileysad smileynecessarily at the opening acts which included Van Halen, The Henry Paul Band, and another group I do not recall. It was still very rowdy in 81. Prince should not have been asked to open . sad smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 22:45

Brstonesfan
yes, 1981 was the last tour were the fans could be pretty rough. We had bikers circling the stadium in Orlando and many overdoses all day. Throughout the day before the Stones went on, many times the crow just threw stuff and not sad smileysad smileynecessarily at the opening acts which included Van Halen, The Henry Paul Band, and another group I do not recall. It was still very rowdy in 81. Prince should not have been asked to open . sad smiley

Why, because he upset their delicate sensibilities?
Mick was a fan, and probably thought he was exposing a new artist to Stones fans...and most fans probably respectfully applauded. But the meatheads...they have to ruin everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 22:45 by stupidguy2.

Date: July 28, 2014 22:49

Well Mick went solo and tried to be a "Prince" and we all saw how humiliating that was for him and us as fans. We cannot support these type of acts and remain stones purists.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2014 23:08

stupidguy2

...and most fans probably respectfully applauded. But the meatheads...they have to ruin everything.

Absolutely false, I was there.

Prince didn't go over well...period.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 28, 2014 23:30

Brstonesfan
Well Mick went solo and tried to be a "Prince" and we all saw how humiliating that was for him and us as fans. We cannot support these type of acts and remain stones purists.

OK you're joking but yes Mick tried, he tried to be someone else. Prince doesnt try to be, he is a great talent. He is really gifted. And really underrated or perhaps a victim of his image or something. I dont like everything he does or did but Im always exited to hear his next.

Date: July 29, 2014 00:16

OzHeavyThrobber
"Riffs and rhythm guitar is not the same thing. Keith was never really a typical rhythm guitar player. That's why we love him!"

I'm aware of that DP. My point is that thru his rhythm playing and messing around with chords and his fascination with the sound of them in some instances that songs (so many songs) like CYHMK were jammed into existence. I've played guit for 25 years and nutted out almost all Stones gear he's been a part of creating. It's pretty easy to determine which were 'written/composed' as to those that were jammed into existence and then formed/shaped etc by somebody else - obviously Jagger for the most part. If he were not the rhythm guitarist he is (was) he would never have been a part of these great songs coming to be.

That is Richards' talent. And for mine the last great riff he jammed was YGMR and the last great song he solely wrote was TITN. His hit/miss ratio since Exile has been woeful in my opinion.

Jagger is terribly sold short as a songwriter and it is assumed for the most part that all he did was "write the words" which anybody here would know is far from accurate.

Keith's unusual style/talent for rhythm playing is unique and to mine his only real gift - listen to the intro of "Sweet Virginia" for example. It shouldn't work at all. Yet it works so beautifully.

He can hum a melody and on occasion write some ok lyrics. he is and never has been a lead guitarist of any note and has delivered some of the worst soloing I have ever heard. The point is is that (imo) rhythm is the only talent he has that sets him apart from most other musicians. His ability of delivery left him decades ago too. Listen to him hammering the 12 string on ATGB or his rhythm playing on RT or "Angie" over the years. It's awful.

Prince: (again I don't like more than two songs of the hundreds I was once subjected to by a friend that loves him) can: sing a wide variety of styles and do them very well; regularly wrote songs and albums of note that required nobody else for assistance; plays over a dozen instruments for real (not a dabbler like Brian apparently was); has a God given ability to perform and captivate an audience (well except in California in 1978 it would seem...); in short (if you'd pardon my phrasing, his abundance of talent compared to almost anyone is light years more advanced. That includes Keith. It strikes me as odd that he would make yet another tasteless comment in a career littered with them about someone like Prince. It only shines a light on how short of talent he is when remarking such a throwaway and childish line.

While lots of this make sense, Kyle, you and I have a somewhat different perception of what lead guitar talent is.

A percussive solo can be just as good, or better, than melodic solos with single strings, imo. It's just a different way of expressing yourself - and still keeping the core of a song: the groove.

Keith's talent is not only the things you said - he is/was also a master in placing small lead patterns into the right places in songs while recording.

Most guitarists are over-doing that, imo.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 29, 2014 00:23

OzHeavyThrobber

as for Keith's description of Prince being a "talentless midget"

Don't forget that when he was still a teen Keef saw ALL the stars of black music live and in person : Chuck, James Brown, Otis, Bobby Womack.
Compare these incredibly talented and super hard-working giants to a lightweight like Prince, you're bound to come up with less than flattering comments.

Prince ain't completely worthless but if you think he'll be remembered as highly as JB or Otis you need a reality check. It's bubblegum music vs real deep soul. "Kiss" as good as "Dock Of The Bay" don't make me laugh... And I do think Prince's already being forgotten. When was the last time he has he released a good solid album? 1988?

Must be the same in movies : if you're a Dp and you saw Marlon Brando on a set in the 60's/70's you're bound to find Pitt or Clooney being sightly on the light side.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 00:29 by dcba.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 29, 2014 04:46

Hairball
stupidguy2

...and most fans probably respectfully applauded. But the meatheads...they have to ruin everything.

Hairball coughs up the truth!
I was there as well, right up front, and agree completely. IMO, his poor reception was his own fault. Will post more about "The Prince Incident" from my perspective soon.

Date: July 29, 2014 05:10

Plink
Hairball
stupidguy2

I was there as well, right up front, and agree completely. IMO, his poor reception was his own fault. Will post more about "The Prince Incident" from my perspective soon.

All this proves that there were more meatheads present than I thought.
Prince was the one of the greatest, most innovative artists of the 80s...period.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 29, 2014 05:27

stupidguy2
Plink
Hairball
stupidguy2

Prince was the one of the greatest, most innovative artists of the 80s...period.

Am I correct in assuming that you are referring to me as a "meathead"?
If so, thank you so very much for the flattering label. BTW, I made no comment regarding Prince as an artist, however, it seems as though you are under the erroneous impression that I was dismissive of his talents. I stand by my statement that Prince is responsible for his reception that afternoon, and his musical prowess had nothing to do with it. His disdainful attitude towards the audience from the very get-go (well before the boooing and hurling of objects) most definitely did, IMO. As mentioned previously, I will elaborate further soon, when I have the time.

Question: Were you present at that particular performance? If so, I'd love to read about your experience.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 29, 2014 06:46

stupidguy2
Plink
Hairball
stupidguy2

Doesn't matter what he later became. Like others here, I was there. For that time (1981), for that place (L.A. in the heat), it was an incredibly stupid move booking him to open. If he doesn't come out wearing women's underwear, practically begging them to not like him, then different story. But when the other three acts are guitar driven macho bands, Thorogood, Geils and the Stones, Prince was woefully out of place.

Date: July 29, 2014 06:48

Plink
stupidguy2
Plink
Hairball
stupidguy2

Am I correct in assuming that you are referring to me as a "meathead"?
If so, thank you so very much for the flattering label. BTW, I made no comment regarding Prince as an artist, however, it seems as though you are under the erroneous impression that I was dismissive of his talents. I stand by my statement that Prince is responsible for his reception that afternoon, and his musical prowess had nothing to do with it. His disdainful attitude towards the audience from the very get-go (well before the boooing and hurling of objects) most definitely did, IMO. As mentioned previously, I will elaborate further soon, when I have the time.

Question: Were you present at that particular performance? If so, I'd love to read about your experience.

Good stuff Plink, I look forward to your elaboration. Prior to my response above, I posted earlier in this thread back in 2013 and I stand by my thoughts.
Prince was way out of his element at the Coliseum, and although I later grew to appreciate his talents, at the time he was considered an absolute joke to 99.9% of those in attendance.

And don't forget stupidguy2 (aptly named), this happened in 1981...well before Prince was ever considered "one of the greatest, most innovative artists of the 80s..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 06:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: July 29, 2014 07:50

Brstonesfan

I actually think I do get the spirit of what you are saying. I really do. But saying I can't "support these type of acts"? I smile a big grin when you say that. smiling smiley It's like saying I can't like peanut butter because I also like jelly. Or that I can't like a nice rare steak, yet also appreciate a fresh green salad. You are defining "Stones purist" in a way that would make Keith Richards hate himself. You really are. Keith very likely likes stuff that would make you question Keith's own loyalty to himself, and perhaps cause you to label Keith as somebody who is not a Stones purist. I mean, Keith stands up for guys like Justin Timberlake, right? (Remember SARS?)

Okay, this reply sounds a bit flippant, but I can't help but think that deep down you agree with what I'm saying, perhaps??? (Again, I'm smiling when I type this. You are inviting this kind of needling.)

I think this video of a Prince show, taken last year in Portugal, just smokes. It's a simple Prince after-hours show focusing on nothing but the music. Loud, raw, smoking...and spontaneous. And Prince carries the weight. From 2:25 on he just shows how he can deliver the goods all by himself. Effortlessly. Mick didn't really ever try to emulate this in 1988. Did he?

What is it about this performance, specifically, that you don't like? And it's a cop-out if you say something like, "Well, if you don't know, you'll never understand." smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2014 07:54

Long John Stoner
stupidguy2
Plink
Hairball
stupidguy2

Doesn't matter what he later became. Like others here, I was there. For that time (1981), for that place (L.A. in the heat), it was an incredibly stupid move booking him to open. If he doesn't come out wearing women's underwear, practically begging them to not like him, then different story. But when the other three acts are guitar driven macho bands, Thorogood, Geils and the Stones, Prince was woefully out of place.

'Begging them not like him' because of what he was wearing?
Hairball, aptly named btw, you're entire post just proves my point. Plink, I wasn't there nor was I calling you a 'meathead'.. Unless you were booing, that is.
You guys are making lots of excuses for some of the Stones audience members booing an opening act because said act is out of their 'comfort zone ' ... Narrow as it is..Booing is meatheaded. And the term 'meathead' is just a paraphrase of what Keith called the fans booing JTimberlake..
But oh... I guess inviting him was the wrong move too... Cos, you know, he's not 'guitar-driven macho bands' ...
Maybe fans need to grow the f*** up and open their f*** minds. Again, booing is meatheaded and juvenile. Period.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 08:03 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 29, 2014 08:08

I was at Detroit 81. Iggy (a Detroit native) got a bunch of stuff thrown at him and flipped the crowd off and left. Santana came on and blew everyone away. General admission. Crowds rushing the floor. fist Fights. "Baby won't you let me Go" through the crowd. Pabst Blue Ribbon. 1981.

Date: July 29, 2014 08:28

stupidguy2
Hairball, aptly named btw, you're entire post just proves my point.

Apologies for the "stupidguy2 (aptly named)" remark, but it was simply in response to you stereotyping everyone who didn't like Prince as "meatheads".

As for my entire post proving your point, can you please elaborate?

Remember, this was 1981. Hardly anyone knew who Prince was, and everybody I know definitely didn't know who he was.
This was pre-Purple Rain, MTV, etc., etc., etc., and the music he played was out of left field.
Unless you were there it's hard to understand where you're coming from.

Sure I eventually learned to appreciate his talent, but that was over 30 years after the fact when my wife dragged me to see him in a club in Vegas (awesome show)!
The bottom line is that Prince was WAY out of his element at a Rolling Stones show c.1981, and it was a bizarre spectacle to say the least for nearly everyone who was there...period!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 08:31 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home