Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: The Prince Incident in 1981 - Any pictures or recording?
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 25, 2014 05:53

I was at both 1981 Coliseum shows. It was Prince, George Thorogood, J. Geils Band and the Stones.

Prince opened on both days. I don't care what any recording might say, he did NOT play anywhere near a full set either day. He came out in the afternoon sun dressed in those briefs and some kind of long coat. The boos started immediately. Things were thrown at him. At about the third song or so on both days, he gave up. On at least one day if not both either Keith Richards or Bill Graham came out and tried to calm down the crowd and implore people to give Prince a chance. It didn't work. At the time, I remember distinctly thinking he was absolutely the wrong choice for that type of crowd. He was set up to fail, and he did.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 25, 2014 06:10

Stones fans were dangerous back then.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2014 06:13

Long John Stoner
I was at both 1981 Coliseum shows. It was Prince, George Thorogood, J. Geils Band and the Stones.

Prince opened on both days. I don't care what any recording might say, he did NOT play anywhere near a full set either day. He came out in the afternoon sun dressed in those briefs and some kind of long coat. The boos started immediately. Things were thrown at him. At about the third song or so on both days, he gave up. On at least one day if not both either Keith Richards or Bill Graham came out and tried to calm down the crowd and implore people to give Prince a chance. It didn't work. At the time, I remember distinctly thinking he was absolutely the wrong choice for that type of crowd. He was set up to fail, and he did.

All Keith is saying...is give Prince a chance.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 25, 2014 07:21

treaclefingers
Long John Stoner

All Keith is saying...is give Prince a chance.

ha- yeah, I thought of that when I wrote it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 25, 2014 10:26

It may not have been overtly or even consciously racist, but there were definitely some macho-meathead homophobic undertones toward anything that veered slightly out of their little white rock and roll world, no matter what anyone says...
Rock music can often appeal to the lowest common denominator. I remember those dumbasses and went to school with them. Come to think of it, weren't they the ones booing Justin Timberlake in 2004? They never go away. I wouldn't even call them Stones fans... This band is the antithesis of the stereotypical 'white' rock and roll band and real fans embrace that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-25 10:29 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 25, 2014 10:47

Prince was on stage about 10 minutes, 15 at the most.

Freeze Frame from J Geils was release during the tour and as I recall, they did not play anything from that album

Date: July 25, 2014 10:59

BluzDude

Freeze Frame from J Geils was release during the tour and as I recall, they did not play anything from that album

Centerfold??

Date: July 25, 2014 10:59

stupidguy2
It may not have been overtly or even consciously racist, but there were definitely some macho-meathead homophobic undertones toward anything that veered slightly out of their little white rock and roll world, no matter what anyone says...
Rock music can often appeal to the lowest common denominator. I remember those dumbasses and went to school with them. Come to think of it, weren't they the ones booing Justin Timberlake in 2004? They never go away. I wouldn't even call them Stones fans... This band is the antithesis of the stereotypical 'white' rock and roll band and real fans embrace that.

But they okayed Mick's yellow tights... winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 25, 2014 12:13

Prince's setlist for the Oct. 11 show :

1. Bambi
2. When You Were Mine
3. Jack U Off
4. Uptown (instrumental)
5. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? (cuts off)

Date: July 25, 2014 12:40

DandelionPowderman
stupidguy2

Yeah..
Explain that conundrum. Mick is the antithesis of the stereotypical macho rock star, ala Plant.

Date: July 25, 2014 14:01

stupidguy2
DandelionPowderman
stupidguy2

Yeah..
Explain that conundrum. Mick is the antithesis of the stereotypical macho rock star, ala Plant.

Ala Bowie, I'd say smiling smiley

Date: July 25, 2014 14:34

stupidguy2

Explain that conundrum. Mick is the antithesis of the stereotypical macho rock star, à la Plant.

Mick is subtle. Prince wasn't. Around that time he wrote a song called "Head" and 1980's "Sister" was about incest... Izzat enough for you? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-25 14:38 by dcba.

Date: July 25, 2014 16:47

dcba
stupidguy2

Explain that conundrum. Mick is the antithesis of the stereotypical macho rock star, à la Plant.

Mick is subtle. Prince wasn't. Around that time he wrote a song called "Head" and 1980's "Sister" was about incest... Izzat enough for you? grinning smiley

Mick did that in 68/69 already. "Family" covers that topic...

Date: July 25, 2014 17:44

DandelionPowderman

It's a very minor song and it was released in... 1975 on MT. Prince based his early career on sexual scandals.

Date: July 25, 2014 18:28

dcba
DandelionPowderman

It's a very minor song and it was released in... 1975 on MT. Prince based his early career on sexual scandals.

That's an iffy distinction dc..
I don't think it's out of the realm to suggest that some of the reaction to Prince was those little shorts he wore and the fact that his music was funky. I doubt those meatheads even bothered listening to what he was singing about. I knew people like that. The Stones, Mick especially, straddled the fence between a Zeppelin and a Bowie or Iggy..they were seen as rock studs..despite Micks flirtatious with the glitter and funk.
Probably because of their history as 'bad boys'
But I remember my cousins calling the Stones music 'faggy' everytime Emotional Recue was played ..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-25 18:31 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: LouisianaSwamp ()
Date: July 25, 2014 18:58

A woman who was at one of the Coliseum shows told me that people were throwing stuff at Mick. She was really annoyed with them. Finally Mick said, "If you don't stop throwing stuff we might stop playing." But people continued to throw stuff.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:54

DandelionPowderman
BluzDude

Centerfold??

right

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: July 26, 2014 05:26

Anonymous User
i do not think it was a racial issue at all, journey was booed non stop start to finish at the tour opener in philly 1981 and in between songs steve perry from journey kept thanking the crowd for making journey's album #1 on the charts .go figure.

I was there too.....all true

Date: July 26, 2014 05:57

Prince had no talent then and none now. Overrated midget.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2014 07:34

Brstonesfan

you can tell an awful lot about people in what they post, eh?

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 26, 2014 09:05

as anonymous user said,not only were journey booed at jfk in 81,they had several bottles whipped at there head i was there.footnote,great seats and 15 bucks.tm price!!

Date: July 26, 2014 09:08

also,some posted journey was booed,followed by thorogood who was loved,true,but thorogood played first.

Date: July 26, 2014 09:10

br stone fan,prince has no talent,lol.what kind of drugs are u on,he is one of the most versatile musicians on the planet,though im no fan.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 26, 2014 17:56

backstreetboy1
br stone fan,prince has no talent,lol.what kind of drugs are u on,he is one of the most versatile musicians on the planet,though im no fan.

Agreed! I am not a fan either but he is a very talented musician that plays many different instruments. He often reminded me of Little Richard,the hair, make up, costumes,and sexual ambiguity. Mick Jagger did it as well, along with some songs about gay male prostitution. When the whip comes down, Cock Sucker Blues. Little Richard pioneered this along with being very talented. Nothing new under the sun.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 26, 2014 19:42

Brstonesfan

Midget yes, overrated no. (sorry short guys, midget is offensive, i know.) Prince is talented.

Date: July 26, 2014 23:33

I donor know one Stones fan who was ever not Prince. This is not the type of music the Stones purists would endorse.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 27, 2014 07:07

Anonymous User
journey was booed non stop start to finish at the tour opener in philly 1981

Haha, that's how I made it all the way from the back of the stadium to the front row during their set that day, by pretending I really wanted to see Journey. People probably thought, "Oh God, poor sod" and let me continue my 'journey' to the front row where my spot against the fence on Keef's side was fully secured by the time the RS came on.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 27, 2014 07:31

I was there in 81 at the Coliseum in LA and the second show was worse as many people went back for show two and did the same - throwing stuff and booing him off stage even faster. The biggest issue was he was wore something like Lingerie for an outfit, like women's lingerie and thats wasn't cool back then, even in LA...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 27, 2014 11:37

winter
Anonymous User
journey was booed non stop start to finish at the tour opener in philly 1981

Haha, that's how I made it all the way from the back of the stadium to the front row during their set that day, by pretending I really wanted to see Journey. People probably thought, "Oh God, poor sod" and let me continue my 'journey' to the front row where my spot against the fence on Keef's side was fully secured by the time the RS came on.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: basti ()
Date: July 27, 2014 12:10

Prince was support to some shows from 81/82 to the Stones.
Have anyone a recording from Prince

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home